IGNORED

Sod New Liverpool Assistant Manager

MC RISK77

There's some wonderful historical revisionism on here.  I hope the kids don't believe it and end up telling their grand kids how wonderful SOD was.  All this wonderful, unseen stuff was done in the background with only the truly perceptive able to see it like Mr Spudski, whom, I recall defended SOD to the very last and true to form suggested it was everyone else who was blind and stupid.  I also recall Spudski changing his name to Depths of Despair or something upon the appointment SC appointment.  How can someone who was so wrong end up being so continually right?  

Regardless, maybe the truth was that SOD did do something good.  Even if he did, is it really just coincidence that it began to manifest itself upon the beginning of SC's tenure.  Given the choice between apportioning credit equally or applauding SC for doing the grand job, I know which one I'll be doing.  Quite frankly suggesting that SOD was in anyway behind last season't success is nothing more than an insult to the man who deserves a lot better. 

:facepalm: 

What nonsense. You seem to think the more times you write codswallop like that the more people will accept it as somehow true.

You seem to have a fixation with SO'D and a mission to persuade us all that even though the football we all witnessed was atrocious he must be given credit for other things.

I don't accept he did much good at all, everything about his tenure was disastrous, he was widely disliked by the staff at the club, the football and results were appalling, and the club and individual players went backwards under his tutelage.

Cotts. and to a lesser extent Burt take total credit for the turnaround as far as I'm concerned.

As for painting O'Driscoll as a misunderstood master tactician expertly building the club up behind the scenes I suggest you just give up, I very much doubt you're persuading anyone.

Next time you've got your arm around a manager with yer silly face on, why don't you ask them what they think of SoD.

And next time you get to speak to the players ask them what they thought of SoD.

In fact...next time you get a chance to speak to KB or SC...ask them what they think of SoD and what he did for the Club.

If you were to utter the garbage you've just presumed about staff, and players going backwards to any of them, they'd laugh in your face....sorry pal but you are way off the mark.

As far as i'm concerned you haven't got a clue....especially if you think Burt should take less credit than SC.

And if you were intelligent enough to understand the thread, you would see that it was the board and SL who put the plans in place and asked SoD to implement them behind the scenes....but hey...don't let reading and understanding get in the way of writing your utter poppycock.... :facepalm:

And this is the man slating SoD, but standing with a picture of himself with his arm around Coppell...what are you 10 or something :facepalm:

Give up fella...we will never see eye to eye as I really don't respect your views on football...Best to block...that way we'll both be happy ;)

Next time you've got your arm around a manager with yer silly face on, why don't you ask them what they think of SoD.

And next time you get to speak to the players ask them what they thought of SoD.

In fact...next time you get a chance to speak to KB or SC...ask them what they think of SoD and what he did for the Club.

If you were to utter the garbage you've just presumed about staff, and players going backwards to any of them, they'd laugh in your face....sorry pal but you are way off the mark.

As far as i'm concerned you haven't got a clue....especially if you think Burt should take less credit than SC.

And if you were intelligent enough to understand the thread, you would see that it was the board and SL who put the plans in place and asked SoD to implement them behind the scenes....but hey...don't let reading and understanding get in the way of writing your utter poppycock....

100% spot on Spudski

Some people just point at SoDs results and draw the conclusion that he was crap.To add to that misconception they start to make up things that are simply not true.

I've said all along that the appointment of KB was as crucial as the appointment of Cotterill

So because people don't agree with you they are thick?

You may of enjoyed it but if it continued you would of been watching city in crowds that numbered in the hundreds

That's if you could prize yourself away from old Trafford

Been ignoring this thread as having watched City for 43 years he is the one manager / coach that seriously made me ask the question "why should i bother going". I could see nothing positive about his tenure whatsoever. Knowing somebody who used to be on the backroom staff i hope the Liverpool equivalent don't expect to be acknowledged at all by him when they walk past as they are likely to be disappointed.

I think those trying to convince Spud and a handful of others that they are wrong about St Sean of the Sniffle are on a hiding to nowhere.

It would mean admitting they were wrong to unconditionally buy into the thoughts of the great Midlands Mumbler and their unswerving faith in his brilliant tactical coaching might be misplaced.

If only he'd been given a couple more seasons! We'd have been the galacticos of the Conference South next month!!

Admitting they were wrong about SOD would mean also admitting they were wrong about Cotts of course. You know the bloke: thick West Country accent, dresses like a car-dealer, arrogant and will never get anywhere with his hoofball-playing, over-the-hill journeymen.

Of course Spud with his email contacts with SOD and regular bumping into meetings with Steve Coppell has got the inside info - the completely unbiased view - on the real reason for their failure at the Evil Empire that is Bristol City FC. I'm not sure if he also has received emails from Tins, letters from Russell Osman and a carrier pigeon from Jimmy Lumsden too. I'm sure we will be told...

And if you were intelligent enough to understand the thread, you would see that it was the board and SL who put the plans in place and asked SoD to implement them behind the scenes....but hey...don't let reading and understanding get in the way of writing your utter poppycock.... :facepalm:

And this is the man slating SoD, but standing with a picture of himself with his arm around Coppell...what are you 10 or something :facepalm:

Give up fella...we will never see eye to eye as I really don't respect your views on football...Best to block...that way we'll both be happy ;)

Rather an excessive number of insults there Spudski.

Bit disappointing, but I was always taught such insults were the last resort of a blackguard on the realisation they were losing an argument.

You must indeed feel well beaten to feel the need to take recourse to so many unpleasant jibes, particularly aimed pitilessly at someone so 'less intelligent' than yourself.

Your gigantic brain, easily the most colossal on a forum otherwise populated by us pathetic dimwits, must be throbbing with an overpowering mixture of SO'D love and indignation.

I won't be blocking you btw, your weird obsessive preaching about SO'D's abominable tenure will always need to be challenged.

Fare thee well.  :sub:

So because people don't agree with you they are thick?

You may of enjoyed it but if it continued you would of been watching city in crowds that numbered in the hundreds

That's if you could prize yourself away from old Trafford

Here's another one who doesn't understand or read anything correctly....who's mentioned thick?

And if you actually read my posts you will see that I agreed that SoD left at the right time...

Oh...and slip in that I watched football at Old Trafford as well....sorry fella...but corporate business tickets and working that way, were free to me...so why not eh?

So friggin childish....

Didn't stop me from watching City.

Rather an excessive number of insults there Spudski.

Bit disappointing, but I was always taught such insults were the last resort of a blackguard on the realisation they were losing an argument.

You must indeed feel well beaten to feel the need to take recourse to so many unpleasant jibes, particularly aimed pitilessly at someone so 'less intelligent' than yourself.

Your gigantic brain, easily the most colossal on a forum otherwise populated by us pathetic dimwits, must be throbbing with an overpowering mixture of SO'D love and indignation.

I won't be blocking you btw, your weird obsessive preaching about SO'D's abominable tenure will always need to be challenged.

Fare thee well.  :sub:

Haha....you give it out...but can't take it. :facepalm:

You started it by attacking me and not the post.

Funnily you can't actually put into words why SoD was a failure apart from 'it was rubbish' or words along those lines.

It becomes very apparent that some on here feel the need to start attacking the poster, rather than have reasoned sensible debate...say's a lot about people.

One starts...then they all join in...it's like playground bullies who need one another for support....and then the ones who are too scared to say anything and just press likes....so childish and sad.....I'm up for debate, but some of the responses on here are laughable. Just picking on the person rather than the topic. :facepalm:

Anyway....I'll leave you with this ditty... :P

duty-calls.jpg

This thread is ace.....

Anyone got any spare popcorn as we have ran out in Tetbury......?

Can you two keep arguing until the end of next week so I can continue to read while led by the pool in Portugal....

Come on own up which one of you is from Wotton and which one is from Dursley??

100% spot on Spudski

Some people just point at SoDs results and draw the conclusion that he was crap.To add to that misconception they start to make up things that are simply not true.

I've said all along that the appointment of KB was as crucial as the appointment of Cotterill

Consistently poor results a decent manager don't make

Here's another one who doesn't understand or read anything correctly....who's mentioned thick?

And if you actually read my posts you will see that I agreed that SoD left at the right time...

Oh...and slip in that I watched football at Old Trafford as well....sorry fella...but corporate business tickets and working that way, were free to me...so why not eh?

So friggin childish....

Didn't stop me from watching City.

Haha....you give it out...but can't take it. :facepalm:

You started it by attacking me and not the post.

Funnily you can't actually put into words why SoD was a failure apart from 'it was rubbish' or words along those lines.

It becomes very apparent that some on here feel the need to start attacking the poster, rather than have reasoned sensible debate...say's a lot about people.

One starts...then they all join in...it's like playground bullies who need one another for support....and then the ones who are too scared to say anything and just press likes....so childish and sad.....I'm up for debate, but some of the responses on here are laughable. Just picking on the person rather than the topic. :facepalm:

Anyway....I'll leave you with this ditty... :P

duty-calls.jpg

:facepalm:  The only thing he wasn't rubbish at, was something that only you and 2 others with your superior contacts could see.

Fair enough things needed changing behind the scenes, but if football at the end of the day isn't a results business then what's the point in it? 

Consistently poor results a decent manager don't make

Ferguson was one game from a sacking at Man Utd. A certain Mark Robbins scored the goal that saved his job.

No doubt that up to that game the Man Utd faithful thought that Ferguson was a crap manager.

Ferguson was one game from a sacking at Man Utd. A certain Mark Robbins scored the goal that saved his job.

No doubt that up to that game the Man Utd faithful thought that Ferguson was a crap manager.

Atyeo turned down moves to bigger clubs and became a City legend. If he was playing for us now I bet he would of jumped ship.........the football world changes over time.....  

Ferguson's "crap period" had considerably more wins that SOD achieved here. Also he was not taking Man U down to the 4th Division.

So your attempt at comparison is a bit.... crap.

:facepalm:  The only thing he wasn't rubbish at, was something that only you and 2 others with your superior contacts could see.

Fair enough things needed changing behind the scenes, but if football at the end of the day isn't a results business then what's the point in it? 

It's like banging your head against a brick wall....look at numerous good managers careers, and you will see that many had times in their careers where results weren't particularly good. You have to take into account the mitigating circumstances of every situation.

No one on this thread, including me, has said SoD should have stayed on.

But it doesn't mean he didn't do good for this Club whilst he was here...just don't purely look at the results...look beyond them. Then see how we have been able to kick on.

Half the problems, on a lot of these threads, is people don't actually read the posts properly, or understand what people are saying.

No one is saying SoDs results were successful...but other things he did were.

And like I said before....if people judge managers success on a period of win rates, then god help them....the majority of managers have poor spells, all depends on the circumstances and the general health of a Club.

A strange example because as a manager you never stop learning, developing and growing. Ferguson's success lay largely in that he learnt from mistakes - which he did make - and rarely made the same one twice....... Not sure you could say the same for SOD.

Another reason why I don't buy in to the example is Man Utd fell short of expectations and you are right that goal could have been the catalyst... but there's a world of difference between falling short of expectations and taking Bristol City to the verge of League Two. One's (arguably) crap, the other (arguably) negligent.

And lets not forget Ferguson would unlikely have been seen as 'crap' due to the second place finished he achieved the year before that goal. Underperforming maybe, crap I disagree.

A strange example because as a manager you never stop learning, developing and growing. Ferguson's success lay largely in that he learnt from mistakes - which he did make - and rarely made the same one twice....... Not sure you could say the same for SOD.

Another reason why I don't buy in to the example is Man Utd fell short of expectations and you are right that goal could have been the catalyst... but there's a world of difference between falling short of expectations and taking Bristol City to the verge of League Two. One's (arguably) crap, the other (arguably) negligent.

And lets not forget Ferguson would unlikely have been seen as 'crap' due to the second place finished he achieved the year before that goal. Underperforming maybe, crap I disagree.

In SAF first 5 seasons he finished 2nd once, 6th once, 11th twice and 13th. In fact you could make an argument that SAF first 3 seasons were considerably worse than Brendan Rodgers' first 3 at Liverpool but that doesn't stop Rodgers getting derided by many Liverpool fans... So yeah I imagine the United faithful probably did think he was crap and he was lucky that he didn't get the job in the age of social media because he would of been long gone before all the trophies if he had of been.

I agree with the rest though- SAF is a strange comparison to use.

In SAF first 5 seasons he finished 2nd once, 6th once, 11th twice and 13th. In fact you could make an argument that SAF first 3 seasons were considerably worse than Brendan Rodgers' first 3 at Liverpool but that doesn't stop Rodgers getting derided by many Liverpool fans... So yeah I imagine the United faithful probably did think he was crap and he was lucky that he didn't get the job in the age of social media because he would of been long gone before all the trophies if he had of been.

I agree with the rest though- SAF is a strange comparison to use.

I stand gratefully corrected :)

I probably should have looked further than the season before haha.

Read any managers comments about success...or speak to them yourselves....and each one of them will tell you, that success often depends on the health of a Club...in other words, all the other things that managers have to deal with, that often go overlooked by press and media and why most football fans judge managers purely on results at any given moment....because it's often overlooked and never spoken about.

Get the infra structure right....Directors, Players, Directors of Football, the coaches, backroom staff, training methods, Academy etc,etc....all working and pulling in the same direction, and knowing their jobs, and what they are doing and why they are doing them....get that right and you'll go far.

So many things affect a managers success....it's not just down to tactics, motivation and being passionate.

This thread is ace.....

Anyone got any spare popcorn as we have ran out in Tetbury......?

Can you two keep arguing until the end of next week so I can continue to read while led by the pool in Portugal....

Come on own up which one of you is from Wotton and which one is from Dursley??

Ran out of popcorn, and manners - you rude pr1ck :rofl2br:

Read any managers comments about success...or speak to them yourselves....and each one of them will tell you, that success often depends on the health of a Club...in other words, all the other things that managers have to deal with, that often go overlooked by press and media and why most football fans judge managers purely on results at any given moment....because it's often overlooked and never spoken about.

Get the infra structure right....Directors, Players, Directors of Football, the coaches, backroom staff, training methods, Academy etc,etc....all working and pulling in the same direction, and knowing their jobs, and what they are doing and why they are doing them....get that right and you'll go far.

So many things affect a managers success....it's not just down to tactics, motivation and being passionate.

I wholeheartedly agree that it seems to be the case: Arsenal and Wenger post-David Dein, Man Utd with Martin Edwards, Chelsea and Kenyon....... BCFC and KB.

In spite of that, and whilst I do make concessions for that SOD still in my eyes fell significantly short of reasonable expectations.

Is it not a fact that Cam/Dursley/Wotton is at the bottom of the Valley?

We don't hate you...... your like the gas.... we just pitty you! ;)

I pity you, having Charlie up that way

We have relations of Geoff Hurst in Cam, that's real royalty

SOD or Cotts.  I would have SOD back in a heart beat.  For me he is one of the most under rated managers of all time.  Every where he goes he achives greatness.  Some of the best football i have ever seen at Aston gate.  Off now to sniff some more evo stick!!

Sure u haven't been on it already?! It's 'Ashton Gate'......

Archived