IGNORED

Officially Signed! Jonathan Kodjia (Merged)

And Its Smith

• Admin

Looks like a very astute signing on paper. Hopefully, as others point out, he'll settle into the rigours of English football and be a success.

Interesting to see that we are in fact tapping the European market after a few rumours here and there were seemingly written off. Cotterill has previously said that he prefers working with British players, and Dawe has said we are looking at experienced Championship players, so I find it very interesting that we are shopping abroad. I like it though, and have always argued that we should never have turned our back on that market, just because of a couple of mistakes in the past.

Burt certainly does have previous in the foreign market though and interestingly enough, when at Forest he signed Guy Moussi from the very same club, Angers.

I'm delighted we are looking at the foreign market. Long may it continue.

Never trust what Cotts says at the start of the Summer transfer window. Remember last year you were disappointed with his stated intent to sign experienced family men? Seemingly closing the door on the likes of Freeman & Ayling ;)

I am quite pleased with this signing.

A French kid works for me, he supports Lens who have just been relegated. This kid is very French too like he wouldn't be out of place wearing onions and pushing a bike.

Anyway on hearing this from me the reply is

"Really? Bristol City? Why the fk would he do that? Angers (pronounced by him as Onnn-jey) have just been promoted and he was good. Why the fk would he go there?!"

This to me is a positive comment on his ability...

I am quite pleased with this signing.

A French kid works for me, he supports Lens who have just been relegated. This kid is very French too like he wouldn't be out of place wearing onions and pushing a bike.

Anyway on hearing this from me the reply is

"Really? Bristol City? Why the fk would he do that? Angers (pronounced by him as Onnn-jey) have just been promoted and he was good. Why the fk would he go there?!"

This to me is a positive comment on his ability...

Only decent comment you have made since the Ashes started mate. :clapping:

All in all seems like a great signing and I am so relieved we have actually bought a striker!

My only concern would be why the prem clubs didn't sign him? Maybe has an attitude problem? Gets lots of yellow cards apparently.

Would fit in marvellously then :)

I may have misread it, guess we'll find out for sure tonight anyway.

It is my understanding that, whilst he is indeed in Portugal, he will not take part tonight, but should make an appearance on Saturday.

Interestingly, a quick (15/20 minutes) scan through the Angers forum indicates that he was prolific during the early part of last season (14 goals in 22 games), but was then injured and/or suspended (1 red and several yellows) before returning with something of a whimper in the closing stages (1 goal in 16 games!). 

It is my understanding that, whilst he is indeed in Portugal, he will not take part tonight, but should make an appearance on Saturday.

Interestingly, a quick (15/20 minutes) scan through the Angers forum indicates that he was prolific during the early part of last season (14 goals in 22 games), but was then injured and/or suspended (1 red and several yellows) before returning with something of a whimper in the closing stages (1 goal in 16 games!).

I looked into that comment and the 16 games quoted actually includes the games he wasn't even in the squad due to injury/suspension - which if memory serves me correctly was 9 of the last 16.

http://uk.soccerway.com/players/-jonathan--kodjia-/65765/

Nowhere near true don't worry.

• Admin

I looked into that comment and the 16 games quoted actually includes the games he wasn't even in the squad due to injury/suspension - which if memory serves me correctly was 9 of the last 16.

I can confirm that I too failed to find the back of the net in the games I didn't play in for Angers last season but strangely I have received zero criticism on their forum as of yet.

Well that just demonstrates why, as ever, it is better to rely on the facts rather than comments on a fans forum.

So by not relying on the above comment I have to come to the conclusion that facts are unreliable... (and with that I will disappear in a puff of illogical logic)

Hello guys,

I am a Angers fan who arrived recently in London for work. Kodjia departure is not a good news for us, as we don't have other good strikers at the moment and we need to find one before Ligue 1 starts.

I was often at La Baumette, the Angers training ground, during the second part of last season. I observed a lot Jonathan who is for me a real leader. He was the best player of the team, a fantastic finisher, and he is a funny guy well known in the dressing rooms as the one creating a good atmosphere.

He is as well a smart personn and I think he will not have problems to become quickly fluent in English, apparently his sister lives in the UK moreover, this could accelerate his integration here. However, he is sometines too generous and can get silly yellow or red cards (2 red cards this season if I remember well). As you are British, you will love this kind of players I guess ;-). One other weakness maybe : he sometines forgot his partners prefering long rushs than passing the ball.

At least, I have now a good reason to support in the UK. Come on Bristol !

Out of football, I work in the photovoltaic industry and will be in Somerset next week. If you know some people involved in that industry, let me know :)

Don't hesitate if you have any question about Jo' ! Come on Angers & Bristol......City of course !

Hello guys,

I am a Angers fan who arrived recently in London for work. Kodjia departure is not a good news for us, as we don't have other good strikers at the moment and we need to find one before Ligue 1 starts.

I was often at La Baumette, the Angers training ground, during the second part of last season. I observed a lot Jonathan who is for me a real leader. He was the best player of the team, a fantastic finisher, and he is a funny guy well known in the dressing rooms as the one creating a good atmosphere.

He is as well a smart personn and I think he will not have problems to become quickly fluent in English, apparently his sister lives in the UK moreover, this could accelerate his integration here. However, he is sometines too generous and can get silly yellow or red cards (2 red cards this season if I remember well). As you are British, you will love this kind of players I guess ;-). One other weakness maybe : he sometines forgot his partners prefering long rushs than passing the ball.

At least, I have now a good reason to support in the UK. Come on Bristol !

Out of football, I work in the photovoltaic industry and will be in Somerset next week. If you know some people involved in that industry, let me know :)

Don't hesitate if you have any question about Jo' ! Come on Angers & Bristol......City of course !

Thanks for the info Rocca, can see why we went for him hearing some of that. Particularly having a good character and positive attitude, things that seem a priority in our acquisitions under the current management.

Good luck in London!

Thanks for that Rocca.

Red cards are a no/no with us. Think we finished second in the 'good boys' league last season. I'm sure our manager will quickly sort any behavioural issues out.

After the initial euphoria of signing someone/anyone, was getting a bit concerned that we had to taken a massive punt on a half season wonder. Your posting has provided some reassurance.

Onwards and upwards.

Hello guys,

I was often at La Baumette, the Angers training ground, during the second part of last season. I observed a lot Jonathan who is for me a real leader. He was the best player of the team, a fantastic finisher, and he is a funny guy well known in the dressing rooms as the one creating a good atmosphere.

He is as well a smart personn and I think he will not have problems to become quickly fluent in English, apparently his sister lives in the UK moreover, this could accelerate his integration here. However, he is sometines too generous and can get silly yellow or red cards (2 red cards this season if I remember well). As you are British, you will love this kind of players I guess ;-). One other weakness maybe : he sometines forgot his partners prefering long rushs than passing the ball.

At least, I have now a good reason to support in the UK. Come on Bristol !

Well I was excited about him before reading this, even more so now!!!

Thanks for the interesting insight, and as others have said, he sounds like he has the right sort of character that we're looking for. I also have no doubt that after a year of watching him, the management already know this, hence the sizable transfer fee for someone in our position (newly promoted).

Hopefully we also have a new City supporter on board? Sounds as though you'll be keeping a keen eye on him. Welcome to the forum, always nice to hear the views of a genuine football fan.

Archived