IGNORED

Yeovil Match Thread

eric04

For those saying friendly results don't matter, there was an interview with Phil Jagialka at the Asia Trophy at the start of pre season. He practically blamed Evertons poor season last year all done to pre season.

Ok it was slightly different as he said about players coming back from the World Cup at different times didn't help but his main point was results and performances were not how they should have been and that carries into the start of the season, and if you start off poor then it's likely to continue. Also they are called friendlies but they are professional footballers who want to win every game and try to do so.

Not says no we have had a bad pre season, just fed up of seeing people say the results don't matter when the professionals obviously feel differently.

He's bolloxed up imho.... he say's in that interview that 'there maybe some players left for us to choose from, and then there is always the loan market if not'...

Surely he and KB should be knowing the prices being asked for players...or a rough idea.

The fact he didn't want to talk about the reasons why these targets haven't been achieved, and looked irritated, for me, reinforces that what he wants and what he's allowed to have are different.

Wrong targets looked at....missed out on players to other teams, now left playing catch up and left with dregs or players other teams don't want or Loans.

That's how I see it.

Or just the simply the 4 players he has held talks with turned him down

Of course what nobody knows is that Steve may have cheesed off a few tosspot agents in the Championship with previous clubs and word gets around he's a hard nose to work for when of course he might not be but thats the message agents foment; and when you have most of the other clubs perhaps paying more money thanks to ridiculous parachutes it is little wonder its is frustrating and difficult for him. I am certain BCFC are now a well organised team at the very least when it comes to settling and agreeing numbers before the transfer window opened; in short his frustration does not stem from some nonsensical internal rift and those that try to suggest there is one are, imho, very divisive and serve absolutely no purpose but to destabilise.

For those saying friendly results don't matter, there was an interview with Phil Jagialka at the Asia Trophy at the start of pre season. He practically blamed Evertons poor season last year all done to pre season.

Ok it was slightly different as he said about players coming back from the World Cup at different times didn't help but his main point was results and performances were not how they should have been and that carries into the start of the season, and if you start off poor then it's likely to continue. Also they are called friendlies but they are professional footballers who want to win every game and try to do so.

Not says no we have had a bad pre season, just fed up of seeing people say the results don't matter when the professionals obviously feel differently.

And yet Alan Irvine was interviewed on Monday night football on 5live and said it means nothing - said Everton had an abysmal preseason then finished 4th. It's just opinions. Most important thing is how you start the season. Preseason is for fitness and trying tactics, not about results

Don't know how many previous comments have been made about the game so I'll limit myself to just two.

Firstly Little is a big worry, he avoided pretty much all contact where possible and more worryingly he seemed to be unable to control his right arm in the same way he controlled his left, he can't be more than 80% fit and must be a big doubt for the first game.

Secondly the bench, I think we all have to agree that to go into a league game without a single player who could be called a genuine member of the first team squad is alarming, Waggy may possibly make it, but we are definitely weaker now than at the end of last season, stating the obvious maybe but nevertheless true.

Yeovil made I think 4 unforced changes and one through injury and didn't look any weaker for the changes, we didn't make any and I'd be willing to bet we are the only club playing a friendly this weekend who will play the same 11 for 90 minutes.

Spot on. Little is some way off and on last nights evidence he cant possibly be risked for the opening game. Waggers will start against Wednesday. Others looked a bit behind and out of sorts, notably Williams & Ayling but understandable at this early stage. Was impressed with Kodjia. He is very quick and has good feet, linked up well and was unlucky not to score on the night.He did have his wrist heavilly bandaged though which I hope isn't anything too serious. It was a very good work out from a well organised, big strong yeovil outfit and I think they will have a good season in League 2 especially if they can get themselves a decent striker. Another week and the first 11 will be fine but we need at least 4 incoming before the 8th as Cotts did not make a single substitution so clearly does not 'trust' in the ability of the likes of Reid, Burns & co.          

I think a few people need to listen properly to Cotts's interview. Clearly he's trying to bring in quality not quantity and if he doesn't get who he wants on permanent deals then clearly we can pad out the squad with loans after the end of August. We did some good business in the loan market last season so happy with that. Every season Arsene Wenger moans about the price of players and their wage demands and I think Cotts is sending a message to other clubs and agents that we won't be paying through the nose for players.

I expect one maybe two more before the end of the window, hopefully real quality but could be the last few hours of the window.

or not; we have to stay in the championship this season ...that's all... we will... and will have the players to do so. :yes:

The season isn't over in fact its not even started yet, it will be many months before I jump on the doomed band wagon that is this forum atm.

We have a team that can keep us in the championship assuming we have no injuries and that wilbraham is as effective at this level as he as at league one.

In reality, we are now most definitely relegation candidates. All it takes is for one of our Spine - Frankie, Flint, Freeman or Wilbs to get a mid to long term injury and we're right up shit creek without a paddle.

We have a team that can keep us in the championship assuming we have no injuries and that wilbraham is as effective at this level as he as at league one.

In reality, we are now most definitely relegation candidates. All it takes is for one of our Spine - Frankie, Flint, Freeman or Wilbs to get a mid to long term injury and we're right up shit creek without a paddle.

A month left of the window plus loan deals and another transfer window at Christmas. We'll be fine. Mid table to upper half I'd be happy with

Or a very big paddle - the loan market. Remember last year players like Darren Bent and Tom Ince became available for loan. Rather hope to pick up on a bit of that rather than sign Mr Mediocrity for the sake of having a stronger looking bench.

One bonus to our current small squad is........

On match days when the keyboard warriors try to be manager for the day and select their lineup and formation, well, its going to be a lot easier for the first few games!!!!

More like keyboard worriers now.  :sweatingbullets:  :(

Agreed, if we can get in long term loan players who are as good as the easy to sign transfers then there is no point signing them to long term deals as we have in the past

It's like the difference between renting and owning.

You loan a player who does well , at the end of the loan period he costs too much to buy , goes back to his club and you're back at square one , minus the loan fee .

On a permanent , player does well , value increases , profit for the club.

It's like the difference between renting and owning.

You loan a player who does well , at the end of the loan period he costs too much to buy , goes back to his club and you're back at square one , minus the loan fee .

On a permanent , player does well , value increases , profit for the club.

The difference being if you buy a house it's almost certain to gain value. Players aren't like that.

Greetings from Yeovil fan in peace.

I must say I was very shocked by last night's result, you can't read much into a friendly but you didn't seem to have a lot of pace. Bournemouth tanked us on Tuesday night and could have scored 20 if they'd bothered. 3-0 flattered us.

No one at the club will admit this, but Sturrock has been appointed to keep us in the football league. He is a decent lower division manager and can get the best out of budget players. He has not done badly, Ryan Dickson and Wes Fogden are pretty decent, the others are a collection of cast offs and journeymen. the lad that scored last night was released by Torquay when they had to close their academy after going down to the conference.

Johnson lost the plot last season, as much as we love him, his time was up. In my opinion his weakness is that he is not a very good man manager. Unhappy players don't play well, his treatement of young Adam Morgan was appalling. I think the kid should have been retained personally. Then we had the food store fiasco, where everyone except John Fry the chairman could see it was a no go.

A return from the Championship to the conference is a possibility. I'll be delighted with mid table, and anything higher, well I'll take my had off to Mr Sturrock.

Anyway enough spouting about little old Yeovil on your forum. My point is, you were superb last season amd I really expected you to win comfortably. A lot of our players hardly know each other though they are gelling well. Your players seemed to have lead boots on.

I really wish you well, always had a soft spot for City and was delighted when you went up as Champions. Good luck for the season

I must say I was very shocked by last night's result, you can't read much into a friendly but you didn't seem to have a lot of pace. Bournemouth tanked us on Tuesday night and could have scored 20 if they'd bothered. 3-0 flattered us.

No one at the club will admit this, but Sturrock has been appointed to keep us in the football league. He is a decent lower division manager and can get the best out of budget players. He has not done badly, Ryan Dickson and Wes Fogden are pretty decent, the others are a collection of cast offs and journeymen. the lad that scored last night was released by Torquay when they had to close their academy after going down to the conference.

Johnson lost the plot last season, as much as we love him, his time was up. In my opinion his weakness is that he is not a very good man manager. Unhappy players don't play well, his treatement of young Adam Morgan was appalling. I think the kid should have been retained personally. Then we had the food store fiasco, where everyone except John Fry the chairman could see it was a no go.

A return from the Championship to the conference is a possibility. I'll be delighted with mid table, and anything higher, well I'll take my had off to Mr Sturrock.

Anyway enough spouting about little old Yeovil on your forum. My point is, you were superb last season amd I really expected you to win comfortably. A lot of our players hardly know each other though they are gelling well. Your players seemed to have lead boots on.

I really wish you well, always had a soft spot for City and was delighted when you went up as Champions. Good luck for the season

Thanks, interesting to read that appraisal. Regarding the pace, it's possible our players weren't playing at 100% for fear of injury - I wasn't there so can't comment on that really.

Think Sturrock is a good appointment considering, experienced and wily. I'm sure you'll stay in the FL, I had you down to trouble the playoffs actually!

I look out for Yeovil due to the GJ connection, hope he does well at Cheltenham too.

I've spoken to a few people that were their last night, and they all said the same thing....we looked tired and lethargic.

Small squad, just come back from hard training camp in Portugal, where they were put through the mill training wise.

Not surprised a few have picked up a few niggles.

Good luck this season....think you may need it.

Your assessment about GJ regarding man management, is spot on imo too.

Greetings from Yeovil fan in peace.I must say I was very shocked by last night's result, you can't read much into a friendly but you didn't seem to have a lot of pace. Bournemouth tanked us on Tuesday night and could have scored 20 if they'd bothered. 3-0 flattered us.No one at the club will admit this, but Sturrock has been appointed to keep us in the football league. He is a decent lower division manager and can get the best out of budget players. He has not done badly, Ryan Dickson and Wes Fogden are pretty decent, the others are a collection of cast offs and journeymen. the lad that scored last night was released by Torquay when they had to close their academy after going down to the conference.Johnson lost the plot last season, as much as we love him, his time was up. In my opinion his weakness is that he is not a very good man manager. Unhappy players don't play well, his treatement of young Adam Morgan was appalling. I think the kid should have been retained personally. Then we had the food store fiasco, where everyone except John Fry the chairman could see it was a no go.A return from the Championship to the conference is a possibility. I'll be delighted with mid table, and anything higher, well I'll take my had off to Mr Sturrock.Anyway enough spouting about little old Yeovil on your forum. My point is, you were superb last season amd I really expected you to win comfortably. A lot of our players hardly know each other though they are gelling well. Your players seemed to have lead boots on.I really wish you well, always had a soft spot for City and was delighted when you went up as Champions. Good luck for the season

I don't think City were too bad last night, but I agree that there looked like a few playing with fear of injury this close to the season. Little was obviously one, and that is fine. I thought he had no chance of starting the season and I reckon he's 50/50.

I never worry about the result. We got into some decent positions without creating gilt edged chances. Had Bryan's right footer early on gone in might have been different...but easy to say that.

I'm happy players got another 90 minutes, and came through unscathed. I think a lot of players never get a full 90 in pre-season. 8 days left to prepare.

As for Yeovil, I thought you looked very organised, and Beck (9?) up front looks a handful, especially at League 2. Thought your left back was tidy, especially in second half when Ayling and Little got into advance positions. Good luck

Archived