IGNORED

Yeovil Match Thread

eric04

Which is why I'm confused. Whatever our salary scale there will always be players to fit it..... Just shop in the right places. So either we've cocked it all up or SC is being stubborn or well I dunno

or something far less sinister like, clubs unwilling to let contracted players leave until they have suitable replacements.

Which is why I'm confused. Whatever our salary scale there will always be players to fit it..... Just shop in the right places. So either we've cocked it all up or SC is being stubborn or well I dunno

Yes. Plenty of players who would fit the scale.

Kyle Dempsey. Brad Potts. Alfie Mawson. Christian Walton. Jordy Hiwula. Tendayi Darikwa. James Tavernier

Everybody panicking. Watch this, and then stop. The man knows what he's doing.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=youtu.be&v=An0k7loqOI8

Are you joking!? If anything that only makes me panic more. Quite clear to see from that interview that we are no where near making anymore signings.

Before watching that interview I was quite assured we were doing some good business quietly behind the scenes. However after watching that I think quite the opposite!!

Cracking little interview with Cotts that. If people can't trust the manager, board and team that put together one of our best seasons ever just a few months ago, then I really don't know what they want.

It's a difficult league to compete in, on and off the pitch. We know this having struggled in it for 4 or 5 years previously.

This time it seems like we're finally a club that won't be forced into signing anyone we don't feel is absolutely right and at a cost that is suitable for us at this moment in time.

Yeah it can be a frustrating game we're playing, but I've no doubts that it's absolutely the right approach to take and despite all the panic I see on here, twitter and elsewhere at the moment, I think the club deserve huge credit for what they're building and how they're putting it together.

Spot on. I agree with eveything SC said in that interview and it makes total sense. He seemed pretty chilled about the situation and I am happy to leave it to him.We need to understand he is no mug and will get players in only when it enhances the squad rather than in a panic. Keep up the good work Steve.

Everybody panicking. Watch this, and then stop. The man knows what he's doing.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=youtu.be&v=An0k7loqOI8

First of all, I don't see panic, I see very justified concern.

And that interview has done very little to reassure me. Cotterill has admitted that he would prefer to have done his business early like last year but was vague about the detail as to why this didn't happen. He said he wishes he had more players at this stage. He was negative about prices being quoted for players they were interested in. And his whole demeanour was as downbeat as I've ever seen him.

And that was supposed to reassure us how?!

I'm more concerned than ever now.

Just watched it. Well, we are sticking to the plan whether it works or not by the sounds of it. Praying that it works out but so far the evidence of the last 2 months shows that it hasn't. Fingers crossed it falls for us in this final month otherwise we are in trouble. Definitely not a dig at Cotts here but how anyone can say the man knows what he is doing when he clearly isn't in control of the situation (through no fault of his own) is beyond me!

or something far less sinister like, clubs unwilling to let contracted players leave until they have suitable replacements.

I accept that but, in turn, we've not played the game by letting Cunningham and Osborne go without suitable replacements. Most clubs could happily gamble on losing 2 players whilst waiting on replacements..... Pretty sure with a squad of 16 we shouldn't have been letting anyone leave.

• Admin

He's either a very good actor (which would be a skill he's picked up over the Summer) or he is actually less frustrated than I imagined he would be.

To me he still refuses to pay over the odds transfer fees (like with Freeman in the January window shortly after being appointed) & his frustration is mainly aimed at these exorbitant fees (no doubt fuelled by the extra money coming into the Prem shortly) rather than our budget being particularly poor.

It is, in effect, poor thanks to the high fees now being asked but there will be some players we can afford that improve our team or at least challenge the existing players enough to not feel too cosy in the starting XI.

This isn't aimed at proving a point but I said all of this weeks ago and was shot down on every occasion.

My thoughts on this situation now is that the directive that has been handed down is to survive, purely that. Let's spend the least we can, survive, pocket whatever cash we can and get the ground complete to compete next year.

That is however the worst idea ever. It's bad because we have momentum now, we should be stengthening our position whilst our stock is reasonably high and trying to compete. If they think a difficult season is the way to suddenly attract 27,000 bums to seats then they are mistaken. A competitive squad this season with further investment when the ground is complete and we have more season tickets sold to justify the extra expenditure is!! A shite season helps nobody and sets us back. Why improve the ground to then sit on your laurels and lose some of our fickle fans. We don't do losing well. Revenue will decrease after a bad/mediocre season.

We have clearly missed out on targets and the club are to blame for that. It could be SC/KB going for players out of reach or it could be SL/Board maintaining a working budget. Who knows. What I do know however is that it's taking the wind from our sails and we are now in decline again. Maybe not on the pitch short term but in fan base and future revenue, definitely. If we struggle, our ticket sales reduce and we have a half full new sparkly stadium at best with no wage budget still.

It isn't about upfront expenditure, it is about wages. SL is a savvy financial adviser/business owner. He could manipulate this stuff if he wanted too to make it work. He isn't a billionaire without reason.

I'm not suicidal but I'm also not happy. We have had longer than anyone to have gotten this right. We haven't and are now fully on the backfoot with a week to go.

We needed 4-5 in by now as integration is key, that or not releasing/selling players who could have done a job. It's been a massive balls up.

I got shot down the other night for saying this too. It now appears it has dawned on others that it's not feasible to patch quickly. And for those that will say loans are the key, Swindon loaned loads of spurs players last season (top 6 prem club) and look where it got them, in league one!!! It's not as easy as just loaning players in to patch it up and maintain winning ways. We got really luck last season in more ways than one (other being injuries).

Anyway, I barely post on here as when I do, I get dismissed. I guess it will be the same tonight but I'm frustrated and needed to let it out.

Come on you reds, prove me wrong already!!

First of all, I don't see panic, I see very justified concern.

And that interview has done very little to reassure me. Cotterill has admitted that he would prefer to have done his business early like last year but was vague about the detail as to why this didn't happen. He said he wishes he had more players at this stage. He was negative about prices being quoted for players they were interested in. And his whole demeanour was as downbeat as I've ever seen him.

And that was supposed to reassure us how?!

I'm more concerned than ever now.

I'll be justifiably concerned - in fact panicking - if things haven't changed before next Saturday.

Until then, it's just a meaningless loss.

You often find out more from a loss than a victory.

Yes. Plenty of players who would fit the scale.

Kyle Dempsey. Brad Potts. Alfie Mawson. Christian Walton. Jordy Hiwula. Tendayi Darikwa. James Tavernier

I'm not sure it's a complex as we're being led to believe. It should be easy to work out your market.... We're not a big fish in our current league. We want young, up and coming players..... Go after the very best of those in the league below and/or any potential gems from abroad or rejected from the Prem.

there's been too much speculation on here around players from similar or bigger clubs at this level... Hopefully SC hasn't been wasting too much time looking at unrealistic targets (as we did under Millen - Dawson/Billy Jones).

Yeah, at least SC seems happier than I was expecting him to sound. Not good news on the transfer front but an interview like that has been needed.

Happier than you expected him to sound?  He had the demeanour of a pheasant the night before hunting season.  I wasn't that worried until I saw that.  Now I'm a little panicked. 

Archived