IGNORED

Yeovil Match Thread

eric04

Not really an overreaction when things have been going downhill since we let JET go. No communication, nothing. Not even enough first-teamers to fill up the substitutes bench with one week to go.

And there are new players on their way. . .

Some of the ones we had planned fell through. Fear not! :)

Which is exactly where the problem lies.

SC/KB go through their Plan A targets.

SL happy to fund the fee.

Plan A targets want too much wage.

At this point, we either think a) perhaps we've set our sights too high and shouldn't have wasted time targeting players beyond our budget or b) lets quickly move onto Plan B players.

To me, it seems that maybe SC is still trying to convince SL to increase the budget to try to land Plan A players.

Budget is bottom 6 in this division (in terms of wages). We should be targeting players to fit that budget. My guess is the likes of Maguire and Lees (and possibly others not seen in the press) should not have been on the table from day 1, but SC is remaining steadfast in his pursuit.

I'd also guess that many Plan B players may have gone elsewhere!

Exactly this imho too.... as said in a previous post.

Are we keeping a wage budget in the black....or is the request to make a loss within the confines of what the Championship allows

SC and KB have a long list of potential targets who they have been tracking for a while, like Kodjia who they tracked for 12 months. Cotts has spoken about how he wants more players to join, himself and Burt would of given the board a list. Why haven't we signed players if it wasn't due to the board not financing the deal?

There are plenty of other potential reasons. The club refused to sell or the player wanted to go somewhere else (not necessarily just for financial reasons) for starters.

i just dont like the fact that we are not hearing anything from the club its pretty obvious things arent right and as another poster said before the season ended burt and cotts said they were able to plan ahead early well it looks as if that has gone well

Nothing like a hysterical OTIB overreaction hey?

Not really an over reaction though is it?

We have an incredibly small squad, where our bench is made up of players like Wes Burns, Bobby Reid and El Bad (or whatever his name is).  These are players that were not good enough for League One, and I will bet with anyone now....none of these three will cut it in the Championship. Not a chance

There is clearly a problem with either the budget, or structure.  In football you have to keep evolving as a team and as a club.   If there is ever a time to attract some quality additions, its is now....when we are riding on the crest of the way, and we are a relatively attractive proposition.  

Slow start to the season, a few defeats.....suddenly we are not quite as appealing as we may well be now.

Hard to get over such a stupid decision, especially when the squad is in the state it's in with one week to go.

Wonder what he's (JET) earning at QPR.....more than we could pay I would think.

At this point, we either think a) perhaps we've set our sights too high and shouldn't have wasted time targeting players beyond our budget or b) lets quickly move onto Plan B players.

To me, it seems that maybe SC is still trying to convince SL to increase the budget to try to land Plan A players.

Budget is bottom 6 in this division (in terms of wages). We should be targeting players to fit that budget. My guess is the likes of Maguire and Lees (and possibly others not seen in the press) should not have been on the table from day 1, but SC is remaining steadfast in his pursuit.

Absolutely.

I posted about a month ago that Rotherham and MK had already signed about 5 players each ( both have now signed around 9 or 10) but the only polite replies I got were that none of their signings were good enough for us.

Look at their squads now, both have well over 20 players and look far better equipped to compete at this level.

As someone said earlier in this thread the signing of Kodjia is misleading, he has barely played a full season in Ligue 2 in France and will probably be on no more than say Joe Bryan, whereas a proven championship striker like Chris Wood will be on three times that much.

It is wages where we cannot compete and we are leaving it very very late to compile a squad than gives us a fighting chance.

It's not that he's not prepared to pay Championship wages....it's if the budget allows it.

Experienced Championship players are on huge wages....hungry players from League 1 or from abroad are not.

Depends who you are looking to bring in.

yeah didn't mean that, the last players I would want in are players released by 2nd tear clubs on their way down the ladder.

Just out of interest, do you know how frustrated SC is getting? Are we vulnerable to losing him?

With respect....do you understand how the budget works regarding transfer fees and wages within the confines of the regs set out for the Championship?

It's not about transfer fees.

Umm I thought it was, but happy to be told I am wrong.

I thought below Champ is SCMP - salary cap management something and Champ plus is FFP - all to do with end of year losses in all operations.

Can I please just ask those who think everything is rosy, what did you think of Blackpool when they were short of players before the start of last season? Because squad wise we are in a worse position than them at this point in time.

We aren't.

Our starting XI is basically last year's team with Kodjia for the injured Agard whereas Blackpool were signing players up until their first game just to put a side out.

Where we are similar is that they could only manage four subs on the opening day and looking at tonight's bench realistically so would we at present.

Archived