IGNORED

Yeovil Match Thread

eric04

As if Cotterill needs a wake up call. Without question his is fully aware that this squad is not adequate for the Championship. It's the fact that he knows that and hasn't managed to do anything about it which is the biggest cause for concern.

I never said it was Cotterill who needed the wake up call

so let me get this right spud.

Next season when the stadium is finished with 27,000 seats, lansdown is prepared to see us drop down to the third tier again!!!

because he's not prepared to pay championship wages?

If that's the case then this season will be a disaster and season ticket sales for next year will plummet .

You may be right but seems a strange strategy to me.

no, but people werent acting like its the end of the world

We could fill a bench last season and it was understood we were going for quality not quantity so we weren't tied down with players who weren't cut out for championship football. This summer we needed both.

Frienly results dont matter. What does however is a benchfull of untested championship players, a player who has only featured for the U21's as an experienced player ( El Bad ) and academy players whom most of never heard of.

What does matter is because of this we clearly need a minimum of 6 players both good enough to start and improve what we have.

What also matters is there seems to be a huge reason why we havent made signings. Nothing short of panic signings will be made in the next 3-4 weeks. Thats how they'll be regarded from now onwards by most.

KB and SC both said before the end of last season they were able to go ahead with planning for this season. I dont quite think thats gone to plan, yet!!!!

Heres hoping for 3-4 panic signings tomorrow, modelled in our nice shiny away kit.......oh wait, that was supposed to be today!!!

So who does then? Everyone on this forum is aware we need new players as are our management and board.

So who are you referring to?

He was referring to the board, who to be honest probably are most to blame for the lack of transfers.

Next season when the stadium is finished with 27,000 seats, lansdown is prepared to see us drop down to the third tier again!!!

If that's the case then this season will be a disaster and season ticket sales for next year will plummet .

It's not that he's not prepared to pay Championship wages....it's if the budget allows it.

Experienced Championship players are on huge wages....hungry players from League 1 or from abroad are not.

Depends who you are looking to bring in.

Explain. The Kodjia transfer alone proves the financial backing is there. I don't believe for one second the board wanted the squad to look this thin any more than we did.

You're missing the point...Transfer fees are not the problem....wage demands however are.

I know that a 1-0 defeat doesn't really give lots of hope, but you have to remember we lost 2-1 to Weston last season and lost to Oxford in the capital one cup at the beginning of the season. I know it's frustrating, but we need to take this with a pinch of salt and hope the staff keep a calm head and don't just panic buy because of one result.

A week ago we just drew against Braga - which the reports were very positive about - but we always seem to over emphasise the good and the bad. (This doesn't mean I don't think we don't need to sign anyone else, just to stop panicking over 1 result).

molehill =/= mountain

or can you see the future and know we will be relegated?

through the start of pre-season many on here were saying how the players we have are championship quality, the only area we lack in is depth. there are only 9 days until we play Wednesday but there is still over a month of the transfer window left plus there is also the loan window. we might end up a bit short on cover for the first few games and this is less than ideal, but i would bet everything i own that there will be players in on a permanent deal before the window shuts. taking things to the extreme and say we bring in all the new people on the last day, that leaves 4 games where the squad is how it is now, have our players suddenly become shit? even in that scenario we would have 42 matches to make up any points lost on others,  which considering how we did last year and that we still have the spine of the team I don't imagine will be too many

Explain. The Kodjia transfer alone proves the financial backing is there. I don't believe for one second the board wanted the squad to look this thin any more than we did.

SC and KB have a long list of potential targets who they have been tracking for a while, like Kodjia who they tracked for 12 months. Cotts has spoken about how he wants more players to join, himself and Burt would of given the board a list. Why haven't we signed players if it wasn't due to the board not financing the deal?

You're missing the point...Transfer fees are not the problem....wage demands however are.

Wages and transfer fees both fall under the "financial backing" I was referring to. I do not accept that the board would refuse to pay the wages necessary to compete at this level, especially with the new stadium around the corner.

I never said it was Cotterill who needed the wake up call

It MIGHT be.

Hypothetically speaking, if a manager goes to a board saying, "Why haven't you signed this player that I told you we needed?", and the board say, "Because he doesn't want to come here and his club won't sell him...", then I would imagine that it would be the manager that needed the 'wake-up call'.

Hypothetically.

That makes more sense, although if we are being asked to pay 15k - 20k per week then I'd agree with SL that we have to find other targets.

That sort of money for players at this level is just stupid.

Which is exactly where the problem lies.

SC/KB go through their Plan A targets.

SL happy to fund the fee.

Plan A targets want too much wage.

At this point, we either think a) perhaps we've set our sights too high and shouldn't have wasted time targeting players beyond our budget or b) lets quickly move onto Plan B players.

To me, it seems that maybe SC is still trying to convince SL to increase the budget to try to land Plan A players.

Budget is bottom 6 in this division (in terms of wages). We should be targeting players to fit that budget. My guess is the likes of Maguire and Lees (and possibly others not seen in the press) should not have been on the table from day 1, but SC is remaining steadfast in his pursuit.

I'd also guess that many Plan B players may have gone elsewhere!

Not really an overreaction when things have been going downhill since we let JET go. No communication, nothing. Not even enough first-teamers to fill up the substitutes bench with one week to go.

come on.  players have signed and not been announced, there are players who are on the verge of signing who we're taking to lunch tomorrow and there are the prem players yet to be signed.  stop reacting overly.

Archived