IGNORED

Dwight Gayle-Bid Accepted (Merged, And Merged Again And Again)

zombie

As someone else has clearly stated....big difference between having a bid accepted ....and him actually signing.

He will still command a wage well above what we are paying....so for that reason and that reason alone, I can't see it happening.

Plenty of other clubs will showw an interest now, clubs with a far bigger wage budget.

Would be a dream signing though. Pace, power, real strikers ability.

Palarse Fans surprised at where we got 6 million from but lots of positive comments

Liked this one

'If they play to his strengths, working off a partner then I predict he will be a scoring sensation.

I wish him all the luck in the world. He has been a model professional in his time with us.

Good on you, Dwight.'

interesting statistic in this article. He's scored 18 goals from 44 shots. I'm sure he'll get plenty of chances, with City's attacking style of play, IF he comes. Nice if he does sign, but it seems to be a strange policy City have - i e signed 3 forwards and a wing back, but no goalkeeper, midfield player, or central defender. Of course, there's always next week.

Perhaps. But Flint could get shown up and Pack is clearly not good enough. Smith, Ayling and Williams are good enough to play but we need at least 4 more in these areas. Clean sheets are critical. When we went down in 99 I don't think we have ever had 3 forwards as good (at the time) as Akinbiyi, Thorpe and Anderson at BCFC but it didn't save us!

fair points mate, I would still expect us to strengthen and we still need a class midfielder to play with Korey.

interesting statistic in this article. He's scored 18 goals from 44 shots. I'm sure he'll get plenty of chances, with City's attacking style of play, IF he comes. Nice if he does sign, but it seems to be a strange policy City have - i e signed 3 forwards and a wing back, but no goalkeeper, midfield player, or central defender. Of course, there's always next week.

Keep looking, Pongo - that happened  this morning.....

There is no way a player of the calibre would join unless he believes we will not only challenge but stand a good chance of promotion.

With this in mind must be looking to bring other players in as well or he won't sign.

Different situation, unless we suffer badly with injuries.

Back then, we lost Shaun Taylor and Tommy Doherty to injury and Shaun Goater on a transfer and only replaced Goater.

This time we have quality through the team except up front. I didn't go to Sheffield on Saturday but it sounded like we had chances when it was 0-0. Had we taken one we could have shut up shop and gone home with a win or a draw.

A sharp forward with Championship experience would make a big difference to our team. Kodjia might get there but he's not Championship-ready just now.

If we lose Flint and Smith for an extended period then we could be in the same situation but I'm still confident that the management could deal with that better now than in 1998.

Would agree to an extent. But when our success is at present dependent upon 2 players it's a worry. I'm also not convinced Flint will make the step up without some major errors along the way. I just worry that if we don't add anyone else this is a huge, huge gamble that we don't really need to take.

I suppose it depends how we go after this regarding players for other parts of the squad .

Last time we did this we signed David James (not going to argue if was worth it ) but then didn't back this up with other signings. I really hope SL has learnt his lesson . Which I think is either go for it or just play it safe . Which until now we were!

How is this financialy prudent? Cant say this fills me with excitement, more dread that loving within our means has been abandoned.

If his wages fit with the budget the it's fine.  

If, as many suspect might be the case, Bolasie is on the verge of a move then Gayle's transfer fee will be virtually covered by our sell on fee.

I think all our transfer activity now is carefully calculated - it has to be for fro. Spending this amount on a player will always be a bit of a gamble, but not in the way it was back in 2008 -2011.

I will only be excited about this if we sign 4 other players to start/seriously challenge in the areas we are hugely weak - defence and centre mid. We have 4 players (Flint, Williams, Ayling and Smith) that can play there - we need 4 new defenders and centre mids far more than another quick forward.

4 new defenders? Are you for real?

And it's not very often city try and buy someone good enough to play premiership football so why don't you try and enjoy instead of moaning!

4 new defenders? Are you for real?

And it's not very often city try and buy someone good enough to play premiership football so why don't you try and enjoy instead of moaning!

Nope, re-read my post. I feel we need 4 new defenders and centre mids. We have 3 centre backs for 3 positions at present. We need 2 more IMHO. We need a starter to replace Pack and another back-up in CM as we currently only have Pack and Smith that can play deep. We are very weak in these areas and 4 new players required.

Nope, re-read my post. I feel we need 4 new defenders and centre mids. We have 3 centre backs for 3 positions at present. We need 2 more IMHO. We need a starter to replace Pack and another back-up in CM as we currently only have Pack and Smith that can play deep. We are very weak in these areas and 4 new players required.

I agree we need players in those positions, yes.

i still feel you need to lighten up a bit and enjoy that the club are trying to buy a top striker.

Maybe they've got defenders and midfielders lined up...

I will only be excited about this if we sign 4 other players to start/seriously challenge in the areas we are hugely weak - defence and centre mid. We have 4 players (Flint, Williams, Ayling and Smith) that can play there - we need 4 new defenders and centre mids far more than another quick forward.

So when Mrs Tinman offers you oral sex, are you only excited if she also wears stockings, suspenders, stiletto's and silk gloves?

Apologies of course, if she already does all this. If she does, then I prescribe you suck a lemon daily - to wipe the smile off your face! :)

P.S. We would want to strengthen in all those areas, but for now it's a step i the right direction, and a pretty big one at that.

Trying to get some work done but this is far too exciting. Can people stop panicking about the other positions? It's not a case of if we get a striker we can't fill the other positions. In a perfect world you would fill the positions you need filling first. However this isn't a perfect world. This is the world of football. You have to take each transfer as it comes.

Archived