IGNORED

Dwight Gayle-Bid Accepted (Merged, And Merged Again And Again)

zombie

I think it's the ongoing commitments - i.e. chiefly wages - that the money boys are worried about. One-off payments, like transfer and agents' fees, are a slightly different matter, though that's not to say that we should go throwing SL's cash around like confetti. 

The other possible consideration, as lots of posters have pointed out, is our cut of any Bolassie transaction, which could be substantial and may account for a large slice of this deal.

The club will have determined the wage budget at the start of the summer, bearing in mind ffp limitations.

The only thing with a signing like Gayle's is that he will want top dollar ( for us) and  that will eat heavily into the wage budget. That in turn might put restrictions on how much is now in wage kitty, forcing Sc to lower his sights in other departments.

If this comes off then it does show real intent, but puts huge pressure n Gayle to deliver .

6million is what palace paid Peterborough for him. Since that hrs scored goals in premier league and got better as a player. Very excited about this one

I will only be excited about this if we sign 4 other players to start/seriously challenge in the areas we are hugely weak - defence and centre mid. We have 4 players (Flint, Williams, Ayling and Smith) that can play there - we need 4 new defenders and centre mids far more than another quick forward.

Can see where you are coming from, but Cotts has based his team on attacking. The most worrying bit about Saturday was we were non existent as an attacking force.

Perhaps. But Flint could get shown up and Pack is clearly not good enough. Smith, Ayling and Williams are good enough to play but we need at least 4 more in these areas. Clean sheets are critical. When we went down in 99 I don't think we have ever had 3 forwards as good at the club (from mid-90's onwards) at the same time as Akinbiyi, Thorpe and Anderson at BCFC but it didn't save us!

Archived