IGNORED

The Boxing Thread

joe jordans teeth

2 hours ago, joe jordans teeth said:

Andre ward against the bus driver tonight,I love my boxing but I won't be staying up for that

You're not kidding JJT, can't raise any enthusiasm for that one.

I read earlier that Brand is getting $30k for the fight. Now i know the cost of living in Columbia is pretty low but surely that barely even covers his camp!

13 hours ago, Kid in the Riot said:

I can't recall a better performance by  a British/Irish boxer away from home. Really want to make sure I see him live at some point, hopefully a fight in Belfast November time.

It's really difficult to. Froch v Taylor could be a contender.  Honeyghan v Curry?

I reserve judgement on Fury beating Klitschko until we see what is actually left of Wlad in the rematch.

One week to go!

I don't think so @Super, but he seems amazingly confident. I think GGG is different gravy for any other middleweight, let alone someone coming up so far to a weight they've never fought at. I don't think Kell thinks he can lose because he hasn't yet, but he'll have to pull off a miracle here. Can't wait to see him try!

On 2 September 2016 at 22:25, Stortz said:

One week to go!

I don't think so @Super, but he seems amazingly confident. I think GGG is different gravy for any other middleweight, let alone someone coming up so far to a weight they've never fought at. I don't think Kell thinks he can lose because he hasn't yet, but he'll have to pull off a miracle here. Can't wait to see him try!

I'm with you, would love to see Kell win, but hard to make a case for that....

Boxers at any weight all "big" up themselves pre fight. Then they stare at their opponent in some kind of tough act for the benefit of the press at the weight in.

All so very predictable......

Then they get to the actual fight and try to hammer the other bloke to the canvas or beat him so much that they win on points.

Of course you get real showmen like Ali who become famous all over the world but to me I just don't get the point of trying to beat up the other guy and get paid handsomely for it.   :dunno:

24 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Boxers at any weight all "big" up themselves pre fight. Then they stare at their opponent in some kind of tough act for the benefit of the press at the weight in.

All so very predictable......

Then they get to the actual fight and try to hammer the other bloke to the canvas or beat him so much that they win on points.

Of course you get real showmen like Ali who become famous all over the world but to me I just don't get the point of trying to beat up the other guy and get paid handsomely for it.   :dunno:

Blige! Yet another thread that you don't see the point in.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, MichaelRobartes said:

Blige! Yet another thread that you don't see the point in.

I have no problem with thread! Other posters obviously understand and enjoy boxing but I don't get it.....

No idea why you've got a problem with that. This is a forum after all and forums are about discussing  your points.

3 hours ago, Super said:

Heard someone on the radio saying neither has fought anyone decent. Is that right? Brook does seem very confident reckon he might surprise a few.

This will be both fighters hardest fight, I think Brook going up two weight devisions, is too much to ask.

i hope Kell starts off well as I'll bet GGG in play KO/TKO...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Robbored said:

I have no problem with thread! Other posters obviously understand and enjoy boxing but I don't get it.....

No idea why you've got a problem with that. This is a forum after all and forums are about discussing  your points.

As far as I can tell your point is that you don't understand boxing, or why anyone would want to fight anyone else for money (you answered your own question there). What's to discuss? Were you hoping to be converted? Slightly disappointed I didn't get a "I just don't have the words to express how much I like this post!"...

35 minutes ago, MichaelRobartes said:

As far as I can tell your point is that you don't understand boxing, or why anyone would want to fight anyone else for money (you answered your own question there). What's to discuss? Were you hoping to be converted? Slightly disappointed I didn't get a "I just don't have the words to express how much I like this post!"...

To clarify - I don't understand boxing at all.  To me it seems barbaric to beat up the other guy whilst trying to prevent yourself from getting beaten.....

And because I don't understand it I don't appreciate the "skill" involved.....

7 hours ago, B1ackbird said:

This will be both fighters hardest fight, I think Brook going up two weight devisions, is too much to ask.

i hope Kell starts off well as I'll bet GGG in play KO/TKO...

Agree toughest fight for both, but something makes me think Kell may out box GGG. Watching him yesterday in the public work out he was switching stance and I think that's going to be his gameplan.

Interested in how Hawkins does on Saturday , big stage for him against Hall

17 hours ago, daored said:

Agree toughest fight for both, but something makes me think Kell may out box GGG. Watching him yesterday in the public work out he was switching stance and I think that's going to be his gameplan.

Interested in how Hawkins does on Saturday , big stage for him against Hall

Kell will be relying on his speed more than anything else I would say. GGG is a very underrated boxer, as @joe jordans teeth and I were discussing a few pages back. He is incredibly effective at closing down the ring and getting his opponents exactly where he wants them before opening up. His footwork is exceptional too.

I got the impression from the presser today that as the fight gets closer Kell's confidence is waning too despite what is coming out of his mouth.

Agree with you that Haskins v Hall is going to be very interesting. It's certainly a massive stage for Haskins as you say, the sort he doesn't normally experience due to his not exactly crowd pleasing style. As an aside, I also believe Lee might have the worst tattoos in boxing! I'm really looking forward to it- I think @B1ackbird said he was at the first fight between them?

@Super it's been hard for GGG to get decent fights, every bugger runs a mile, like El Pollo Canelo! David Limeux was a highly regarded KO artist and GGG dismantled him in short order. Watch for him dropping his hands and letting Kell hit him, he likes it Mexican Style! Big Drama Show!

• Like 1

On 07/09/2016 at 14:31, Robbored said:

To clarify - I don't understand boxing at all.  To me it seems barbaric to beat up the other guy whilst trying to prevent yourself from getting beaten.....

And because I don't understand it I don't appreciate the "skill" involved.....

Stick to the bowls mate.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Stortz said:

Kell will be relying on his speed more than anything else I would say. GGG is a very underrated boxer, as @joe jordans teeth and I were discussing a few pages back. He is incredibly effective at closing down the ring and getting his opponents exactly where he wants them before opening up. His footwork is exceptional too.

I got the impression from the presser today that as the fight gets closer Kell's confidence is waning too despite what is coming out of his mouth.

Agree with you that Haskins v Hall is going to be very interesting. It's certainly a massive stage for Haskins as you say, the sort he doesn't normally experience due to his not exactly crowd pleasing style. As an aside, I also believe Lee might have the worst tattoos in boxing! I'm really looking forward to it- I think @B1ackbird said he was at the first fight between them?

@Super it's been hard for GGG to get decent fights, every bugger runs a mile, like El Pollo Canelo! David Limeux was a highly regarded KO artist and GGG dismantled him in short order. Watch for him dropping his hands and letting Kell hit him, he likes it Mexican Style! Big Drama Show!

Good post mate, Will Brook still have that speed going up in weight?

38 minutes ago, Super said:

Good post mate, Will Brook still have that speed going up in weight?

Yeah, I'm sure he'll still have the speed, but will he have the pop?

His biggest issue is that he'll be hitting a much bigger opponent than he's used to; I can see his shots bouncing off GGG who has never been down in 380 amateur and 35 pro fights. And if you can't keep Gennady off you, you are in a world of trouble! Because:

Edited by Stortz
inserted video

40 minutes ago, Stortz said:

Good to see we agree on something!!!

Tough, tough fight for Brook and like you say be interesting to see how he reacts to when GGG cuts down the size of the ring and is on top of him. Kell has to take the centre of the ring, good footwork and be aggressive and as daft as it sounds for a boxer accept he's going to get hit hard but keep pushing into his punches. It's a dangerous game plan 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, daored said:

Good to see we agree on something!!!

Tough, tough fight for Brook and like you say be interesting to see how he reacts to when GGG cuts down the size of the ring and is on top of him. Kell has to take the centre of the ring, good footwork and be aggressive and as daft as it sounds for a boxer accept he's going to get hit hard but keep pushing into his punches. It's a dangerous game plan 

Haha, I did think that as i replied! It's all good mate.

It will certainly be intriguing to see how Ingle sets Kell up tactically. He's going to need balls of steel however he tries goes about it!

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, daored said:

Haskins I believe is due to start at 10 and Brook 10:30. Clearly expecting an early finish in Haskins fight!

Prob put another hour onto those. Looking forward to Callum Smith as well such a talent.

Edited by Super

23 hours ago, Stortz said:

Yeah, the first fight was at Clevedon for the European title, called the fight very close, didn't have the best of seats, will be close again I think with Haskins on points..

• Like 1