IGNORED

The Boxing Thread

joe jordans teeth

1 minute ago, Owl Visiting said:

Don't think we'll ever get to find out unfortunately. 

The big money argument doesn't even hold much water anymore because these guys make astronomical amounts for average fights so don't really need it.

Sadly it'll be another one to add to the long list of fights that didn't happen or happened far too late over this generation of boxing.

I'd love to see some rules put in place to stop greedy promoters letting their egos get in the way of these events.

It’s come to the point now where boxers will be wearing shorts underneath their chests,we all know the rules 

4 minutes ago, Owl Visiting said:

Don't think we'll ever get to find out unfortunately. 

The big money argument doesn't even hold much water anymore because these guys make astronomical amounts for average fights so don't really need it.

Sadly it'll be another one to add to the long list of fights that didn't happen or happened far too late over this generation of boxing.

I'd love to see some rules put in place to stop greedy promoters letting their egos get in the way of these events.

Is hard to argue anything you are saying there, spot on

3 hours ago, Riaz said:

Where it actually landed.

Dubois should be champion 

IMG_1062.jpeg

I don't care what happened after that in the rest of the fight, its irrelevant as Dubious won that. No one can dispute that. The rules and the evidence are very clear. Dubious should be Champion.

We should now be looking forward to a unified British fight. 

Edited by W-S-M Seagull
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, Riaz said:

Where it actually landed.

Dubois should be champion 

IMG_1062.jpeg

Indeed I can't be assed with the sport anymore it's just too bent, for years you had the nonsense of wielder essentially picking his opponents, then you had that crazy draw with Fury, then you have this nonsense. And much more in the middle.

I'm still not sure what VADA is if it can appealed and won it must be wonky, you have to trust the sport is clean and fair.

Boxing needs to change its structure and soon, it's treating punters like cash cows.

2 hours ago, Lorenzos Only Goal said:

Indeed I can't be assed with the sport anymore it's just too bent, for years you had the nonsense of wielder essentially picking his opponents, then you had that crazy draw with Fury, then you have this nonsense. And much more in the middle.

I'm still not sure what VADA is if it can appealed and won it must be wonky, you have to trust the sport is clean and fair.

Boxing needs to change its structure and soon, it's treating punters like cash cows.

What’s VADA got to do with it?

8 minutes ago, Fordy62 said:

I don’t think it was a low shot. But had it not been deemed low, I’m not convinced Usyk would’ve stayed down for the ten. That was histrionics to recover. Dubois would’ve had a better chance but I’m not convinced it would’ve stopped him. 

Yes he milked it but he would have got up given a ten count. Pretty irrelevant anyway.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Fordy62 said:

I don’t think it was a low shot. But had it not been deemed low, I’m not convinced Usyk would’ve stayed down for the ten. That was histrionics to recover. Dubois would’ve had a better chance but I’m not convinced it would’ve stopped him. 

He had difficulty breathing, because he was winded 

He would have struggled to make the 10 count 

Edited by Riaz
  • Hmmm 1

Agh, what a shame Dubois didn't have more in the tank to sustain a prolonged assault after the 'low blow'. He had two minutes to completely bully Usyk and push for the stoppage but even after a 4 minute rest he was blowing. In hindsight DD would have been better just going all out for the spoils in that round, because it was all downhill thereafter.

Dubois did the right thing to keep attacking the body and there was one beautiful shot he landed near the right hip of Usyk that will have seriously hurt. I wondered if that would have a telling impact, but Usyk just kept going. Usyk was total class and extremely durable of course, but at times in those later rounds he did start looking a bit ragged.

Fair play Dubois for chipling away and having moments of success, and almost a life changing bodyshot. He almost just didn't quite believe in himself after the KD, and his will was broken. 

Well it's certainly divided opinion- not very surprisingly, it's nothing like as controversial outside the UK.

There are plenty of pretty hysterical responses to it tbh. Whatever your view (and mine is that it was clearly a low blow, but fair enough if you feel differently!) the ref has made a decision based on what he's seen in a split second and stick to it. He doesn't have the benefit of the many different angles people- including me last night- are using to back up their opinion.

There's no evidence whatsoever that there's a conspiracy against Dubois and just because the person you wanted to win was on the thin end of a close decision doesn't delegitimise the entire sport.

Let's have a rematch by all means, then there's no doubts.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Stortz said:

Well it's certainly divided opinion- not very surprisingly, it's nothing like as controversial outside the UK.

There are plenty of pretty hysterical responses to it tbh. Whatever your view (and mine is that it was clearly a low blow, but fair enough if you feel differently!) the ref has made a decision based on what he's seen in a split second and stick to it. He doesn't have the benefit of the many different angles people- including me last night- are using to back up their opinion.

There's no evidence whatsoever that there's a conspiracy against Dubois and just because the person you wanted to win was on the thin end of a close decision doesn't delegitimise the entire sport.

If you don't think the heavyweight division is a shit show, you're in a very small minority.

I literally agree with @Riaz very very little but this I do.  Its so obviously not low and the ref should be taking into account were Usyk wears his shorts.

Edited by Lorenzos Only Goal

7 minutes ago, Stortz said:

Surely no one other than Dubois wants a rematch… I know I don’t. 

9 minutes ago, mozo said:

Agh, what a shame Dubois didn't have more in the tank to sustain a prolonged assault after the 'low blow'. He had two minutes to completely bully Usyk and push for the stoppage but even after a 4 minute rest he was blowing. In hindsight DD would have been better just going all out for the spoils in that round, because it was all downhill thereafter.

Dubois did the right thing to keep attacking the body and there was one beautiful shot he landed near the right hip of Usyk that will have seriously hurt. I wondered if that would have a telling impact, but Usyk just kept going. Usyk was total class and extremely durable of course, but at times in those later rounds he did start looking a bit ragged.

Fair play Dubois for chipling away and having moments of success, and almost a life changing bodyshot. He almost just didn't quite believe in himself after the KD, and his will was broken. 

There are two very different boxing styles Debois is about power, he's a sprinter per say, and Usyk is about avoiding that sprinter for 6-7 rounds until the power costs the fighter and then going for either points or knockout win.  What's disappointing is the sprinter won, and having played his hand was gassed in the latter rounds.  It's just poor officials bias to a particular style.

10 minutes ago, Lorenzos Only Goal said:

If you don't think the heavyweight division is a shit show, you're in a very small minority.

I literally agree with @Riaz very very little but this I do.  Its so obviously not low and the ref should be taking into account were Usyk wears his shorts.

That has the square root of **** all to do with last night's refereeing decision?

7 minutes ago, Fordy62 said:

Surely no one other than Dubois wants a rematch… I know I don’t. 

Well old fish eyes was certainly counting his cut again last night, but other than that I agree- Dubois will probably quit even quicker if they do fight again, but at least it'll put the controversy to bed.

Edited by Stortz

I think it’s fair to say we can all agree that the call was marginal and could’ve gone either way. Dependent upon what frame you freeze shows it to be low, or ok. 

So the ref made the right call whatever he came up with it was that marginal. He doesn’t have the benefit of freeze frame. 

So maybe Dubois was unlucky, but was he robbed? No. 

• Like 2

I'm not convinced Dubois wants the rematch in his heart of hearts.

I would describe the Usyk performance as 'waspy'. He was that annoying wasp that just kept zipping around and getting on your pint glass.

Dubois was just getting persistently poked with jabs and slapped with looping hooks and it must have been so irritating not being able to avoid them.

I think we've seen that the body is the best target on Usyk, set up with a jab. He's too good at defending regulation headshots.

But I don't think Dubois would relish the task. He seemed pretty accepting of a 10 count last night.

6 minutes ago, mozo said:

I'm not convinced Dubois wants the rematch in his heart of hearts.

I would describe the Usyk performance as 'waspy'. He was that annoying wasp that just kept zipping around and getting on your pint glass.

Dubois was just getting persistently poked with jabs and slapped with looping hooks and it must have been so irritating not being able to avoid them.

I think we've seen that the body is the best target on Usyk, set up with a jab. He's too good at defending regulation headshots.

But I don't think Dubois would relish the task. He seemed pretty accepting of a 10 count last night.

Dubois did a lot of talking before the fight about how he was going to be 'a mad dog' and 'rip' the belts from Usyk, but he looked pretty terrified from the ringwalks on, didn't push for the KO in round 5 and quit as soon as he was able- the last punch was essentially a stiff jab.

He probably doesn't want a rematch in his heart of hearts, but Frank certainly wants one for his wallet of wallets.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Stortz said:

Dubois did a lot of talking before the fight about how he was going to be 'a mad dog' and 'rip' the belts from Usyk, but he looked pretty terrified from the ringwalks on, didn't push for the KO in round 5 and quit as soon as he was able- the last punch was essentially a stiff jab.

He probably doesn't want a rematch in his heart of hearts, but Frank certainly wants one for his wallet of wallets.

I think he was knackered for most of the fight tbf and maybe a little bewitched by Usyk with his big personality and snake charmer eyes. 

Every assessment just leads to one opponent that has the craft as well as the size...