IGNORED

Memorial Gates sprayed again

Barrs Court Red

49 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Awful to see that..

Are we absolutely sure it's our fans though? Yes, I know what the graffiti says, but until CCTV comes out it can't be proved. 

Are there other groups who may want to use this to further an agenda? A radical stop the war group or something?

Just putting it out there..

It just seems a bit strange, generally football casual/hooligan groups wouldn't be in favour of desecrating a war memorial, there's usually a nationalist/patriotic theme.. No surrender etc.. Feels a bit convenient they've a) targeted a war memorial and b) sprayed CSF and Bristol City all over it..

Pretty sure if it was any radical anti-war groups they'd have included an anti-war message.  Similarly there's no plausible reasons why Rovers fans would have done it.  I think Occam's Razor has to apply here.  In the absence of any evidence to the contrary we have to assume i

a) It was City fans.

b) They're absolute idiots tarnishing the name of our club.

c) They're either stupid enough to not realise it's a war memorial or callous enough to not appreciate the significance of that.

Either way, such supporters have no place at the club.  I hope they're caught and banned. 

9 minutes ago, LondonBristolian said:

Pretty sure if it was any radical anti-war groups they'd have included an anti-war message.  Similarly there's no plausible reasons why Rovers fans would have done it.  I think Occam's Razor has to apply here.  In the absence of any evidence to the contrary we have to assume i

a) It was City fans.

b) They're absolute idiots tarnishing the name of our club.

c) They're either stupid enough to not realise it's a war memorial or callous enough to not appreciate the significance of that.

Either way, such supporters have no place at the club.  I hope they're caught and banned. 

Just challenging the default narrative.. Still doesn't add up to me why a hooligan connected group/a group suggesting connection with them would do it.. Nationalism/patriotism and an unwritten code of conduct are usually synonymous.

Seems a bit too convenient. Reserving judgement on who culprits are until there's proof.

Thanks for setting that up to those who did; donated, and even if City sort out the clean up, so don't need the money, think a British Legion donation makes sense.

And think that the talk of some kind of 'self-vandalising' or other group is unfortunately most likely wide of the mark, and a little bit tin-foil hat for me; LondonBristolian's post sums up my thoughts.

Merry Christmas to everyone out there.

Like this post on the Rovers forum:

" I thought for a moment or two about the kind of people who would do this sort of thing, and then I thought about the 'Christmas day in the trenches' attitude of all those City fans who pitched in to raise funds for one of our own, Jamie Cooper, after he was wounded in Iraq. I'd rather think about those people for a lot longer, because however little City mean to me (minus fifty on a scale of 1-10) I think that most of their fans are decent enough people to deplore this kind of thing and I won't give in to the divisiveness that it's intended to foster. Our heroes did not give their lives so that we could take up fighting among ourselves instead once the war was won. Certainly not at this time of year. Merry Christmas to everyone, Blue and red, unless you're the kind of attention-seeking moron that thinks defacing a memorial to those who died to give your mummy and daddy the freedom to buy you bright red spray paint makes you look clever."

Agree with everyone - mindless

2016 is the centenary of The Somme where many Bristolians served with The SLI on 1 July, a day we took nearly 60k casualties.

There will have been reds and blues fighting and falling together as brother Bristolians on The Somme and elsewhere, inited in the cause of freedom

50 minutes ago, exAtyeoMax said:

It is really embarrassing and shameful, even more so in that BRFC have supported Oskar's fund as well. A bit of friendly banter is fine but mindless graffiti after a night out on the pop is just stupid and over the line.

Well said. 

Shocking. Donated, but I suspect somebody (Council, BRFC) will be arranging for it to be cleaned? Something from us to  their club letting them know we are happy to get it cleaned?

21 minutes ago, Bristol Rob said:

But you don't go to the pub with a can of red paint.

Sadly, it looks premeditated.

I'm very much afraid that it does. I've donated, and I recommend that others do the same, if only to make us feel better about ourselves.

1 hour ago, Just Red said:

Now this is very terrible. But I do have to remind people that the ground is also a memorial and Rovers are quite happy to demolish that memorial to build a Sainsburys.

Also can we be sure this was actuallyCity fans? Wouldnt put it past the sags to do it themselves to make it look like our fans have done it.

Your point about Sainsburys is completely irrelevant and misses the point entirely.

• SC&T Board Members
2 minutes ago, Bristol Rob said:

Just wondering how much has been collected so far.

£154 has so far been raised. As the club are sorting out getting the gates professionally cleaned, the intention is to give this and any further money raised to the British Legion. Hope everyone is happy with that.

4 minutes ago, Blagdon red said:

£154 has so far been raised. As the club are sorting out getting the gates professionally cleaned, the intention is to give this and any further money raised to the British Legion. Hope everyone is happy with that.

Absolutely fine with that.

Rather than just passing the cash on directly, can someone make the donation from their own account so that Giftaid can be applied?

The CSF graffiti is almost certainly a red herring. Even 12 year olds have heard of it so spraying that just means they`re wannabees. It would be no different to 12 year old Rovers fans spraying GHS despite having never had anything to do with it.

My money`s on a bunch of spotty ****** up, BCFC `associated` 15 year olds who think they`re being big and hard who did it in between terrorising old ladies going to the shops which is their normal level of courage.

Anyway, fair play to the club for getting it sorted and hopefully these morons will be caught and banned for life. As someone said above, banter`s fine and indeed healthy in a two club city but the vast majority of us, whether red or blue, know when to stop and this far exceeds any boundary.

1 hour ago, Miahdennehy said:

Bloody hell, did NIck just say something sensible?

Hmm, not sure: NH 'we might not be able to have it done for the weekend as it needs professional cleaners' followed very quickly by JL - 'a professional will be with you within the hour'. 

1 minute ago, 29AR said:

Hmm, not sure: NH 'we might not be able to have it done for the weekend as it needs professional cleaners' followed very quickly by JL - 'a professional will be with you within the hour'. 

I don't suppose he mentioned whether our  new stadium would be ready in time for any weekend in the next decade or so did he?

Archived