IGNORED

Memorial Gates sprayed again

Barrs Court Red

3 minutes ago, Aizoon said:

A months' youth detention sounds about right. They will, of course get a severe telling-off, which will do them no end of good.

For graffiti? Sounds draconian to me, especially if they do turn out to be daft young chavs. Sglosbcfc's suggestion sounds far more sensible.

1 minute ago, AzerbaijanApeman said:

For graffiti? Sounds draconian to me, especially if they do turn out to be daft young chavs. Sglosbcfc's suggestion sounds far more sensible.

Not just graffiti, though, is it? It's defacing a war memorial - that's what upsets people, including me.

As far as I'm concerned this is just as likely to be some twisted bitter Gashead from Kingswood, Lockleaze or Cadbury Heath as it is to be a brain-dead, ignorant city fan from Briz, KW or Hartcliffe, until I know otherwise I will hold my disdain in check, ultimately this idiot represents 0.0001 per cent of its clubs fanbase and is nothing but an embarrassment to the club he supposedly supports and the city we all proudly live in

I am more proud to be Bristolian than anything else and will defend this City till my dying breath but when I see incidents like this I truly despair and find it truly truly depressing

6 minutes ago, Aizoon said:

Not just graffiti, though, is it? It's defacing a war memorial - that's what upsets people, including me.

Hardly the worst crime ever committed by football fans (or so-called fans) is it. Some of our lunkheads torched a stand at Twerton Park in the 1990s. This doesn't remotely compare.

1 hour ago, nebristolred said:

Typical Rovers. Completely unable to see this for what it is over on their forum. Don't get me wrong if the roles were reversed I'd expect some of ours to generalise to the whole club undoubtedly, but I'd expect the vast majority not to. Over there they're just using it as a weapon against all City fans when every City fan is condemning it.

There seems to be 1 or 2 over there talking sense with regard to the kid on Twitter who made a stupid comment. The rest want him hung, drawn and quartered for posting two words on social media.

It wasn't just two words though, was it?

He should be ashamed.

7 minutes ago, AzerbaijanApeman said:

Hardly the worst crime ever committed by football fans (or so-called fans) is it. Some of our lunkheads torched a stand at Twerton Park in the 1990s. This doesn't remotely compare.

Indeed. Which is why arson can carry a life sentence.

2 hours ago, Collis1 said:

FML - the over reaction on this is ridiculous. The amount of people getting on their high horse...

It wasn't exactly a calculated insult to the dead was it? I dont think the perpetrators wanted to deface war memorials.

As someone said they are probably 15 year old kids who just need to learn a lesson.

People calling for life bans need to take a look at themselves...

You mean to say they accidentally went out armed with a can of red spray paint and accidentally sprayed it all over the war memorial? I can see now how it was an honest mistake. Bless 'em. 

2 hours ago, Collis1 said:

FML - the over reaction on this is ridiculous. The amount of people getting on their high horse...

It wasn't exactly a calculated insult to the dead was it? I dont think the perpetrators wanted to deface war memorials.

As someone said they are probably 15 year old kids who just need to learn a lesson.

People calling for life bans need to take a look at themselves...

Agree entirely with this, a few OTT reactions on this thread. Kids do stupid things. No one has been hurt, and nothing a bit of high pressure water can't sort out. 

7 minutes ago, Threshing Red said:

I am pretty saddened by this act of vandalism on a war memorial. They are just shameless idiots. How to disgrace our club...

I am just as saddened by those on here desperately trying to play it down. The ferals responsible should be locked up.

4 hours ago, Miahdennehy said:

That makes it sound as if your 'youth firm' have sections named after Elton John and Banksy! Please tell me that's not true.

I don't think so as above, but The One Direction Division maybe!!

they rhythmically dance through opposing firms! 

Seriously no one who supports this club is not bloody angry at this particularly on Christmas Eve!

2 hours ago, ten minutes of rough said:

Disagree, 'we' are all culpable, the amount of hysteria posted on here at Rovers, Pulis, Holloway etc, is it any wonder some less intelligent 'supporters' feel that this sort of thing is justified?

So yes we are all carry the burden I am afraid, with the possible exception of me and a few, that believe that you can have differences and passion without resorting to some of the brutal comments that are a constant feature on here.

So yes the Royal, 'we' is appropriate here. Try asking SL if he agrees? I think he would. 

There are many of us who believe you can have differences and passion without resorting to brutal comments - not just you and "a few". Even those comments that could be described as "brutal" in no way excuse a criminal act.

I refuse to accept any culpability for what has happened just because I happen to support the same football team as those that committed the crime. I am sure many others would agree with me.

I don't think the dead really care about it. It's just a piece of stone. Ever spoken to a person who fought in a war? They don't have much to say about it. It's not something to be proud of or even remembered. They'd rather forget all about it. Our obsession with 'memorials' is a bit morbid if you ask me. I think it's a shame that people care more about the dead than the living. A third of all kids in this country live in poverty, with 80,000 of them homeless this Christmas.

That is what you really should be angry about.

2 hours ago, ten minutes of rough said:

Disagree, 'we' are all culpable, the amount of hysteria posted on here at Rovers, Pulis, Holloway etc, is it any wonder some less intelligent 'supporters' feel that this sort of thing is justified?

So yes we are all carry the burden I am afraid, with the possible exception of me and a few, that believe that you can have differences and passion without resorting to some of the brutal comments that are a constant feature on here.

So yes the Royal, 'we' is appropriate here. Try asking SL if he agrees? I think he would. 

Oh come on there is a world of difference between banter and vandalising a war memorial.

2 minutes ago, clerk said:

I don't think the dead really care about it. It's just a piece of stone. Ever spoken to a person who fought in a war? They don't have much to say about it. It's not something to be proud of or even remembered. They'd rather forget all about it. Our obsession with 'memorials' is a bit morbid if you ask me. I think it's a shame that people care more about the dead than the living. A third of all kids in this country live in poverty, with 80,000 of them homeless this Christmas.

What a truly stupid comment.

Some on each forum resorting to type, most being sensible. This really really should not turn in to a City v Rovers 'thing', in my view. Whoever did it is an idiot. I suppose a young chav may not have clicked what they sprayed was actually a memorial, but even so. Not a time for point scoring. 

Wall is now cleaned, and cost our club a few quid. Hopefully the nut job that did it gets caught and some serious restorative justice gets carried out - some time down the Legion might not go amiss.

3 hours ago, ten minutes of rough said:

Good one TMOR, you nearly had me there you WUM 

51 minutes ago, clerk said:

you should they gave there lives so you could not give a toss

1 hour ago, clerk said:

No, the dead don't care. Their relatives who are still alive do, though !

It is important to them that their relatives and friends who did give their lives are not forgotten; and that their sacrifice was not in vain.

This is the reason we have war memorials; and they should be treated with respect.

1 hour ago, clerk said:

I do care about homelessness and poverty very deeply, it does make me angry when I listen to politicians finding excuses to make some things worse. However the two things mentioned are mutually exclusive as you know!

36 minutes ago, Just Red said:

How does it miss the point? The wording on the gates say the ground is also a memorial. Higgs wants to demolish that memorial.

Leaving aside your thoughts about selling the Mem to Sainsburys (or anyone for that matter) the original plans were given the thumbs up by the Royal British Legion.

This was vandalism. To make matters worse it's on the only part of the stadium that absolutely everyone agrees is a War Memorial, the gates. It's disgusting.

Sadly I imagine this was probably the work of one or a couple of thick little shits wanting attention, which they've now got. Bastards, I really hope they're caught.

5 hours ago, 054123 said:

Disgusting.

Only marginally worse then desicrating the whole memorial with a giant sainsburys.

This is awful and i have gladly donated, but only out of respect for the site.

The filthy money grabbing gypsies who would sell it for a few pieces of silver should consider the glass house they live in before they throw stones.

You have clearly never seen the plans for the supermarket. 

The memorial will not only remain in place, but will actually be enhanced. Still, don't let the truth get in the way of a good story. Whatever makes you feel better about  City fans taking a can of paint to a war memorial.

8 minutes ago, Tiger said:

You have clearly never seen the plans for the supermarket. 

The memorial will not only remain in place, but will actually be enhanced. Still, don't let the truth get in the way of a good story. Whatever makes you feel better about  City fans taking a can of paint to a war memorial.

I would argue that the ground actually enhances the gates.

15 minutes ago, Peter O Hanraha-hanrahan said:

Leaving aside your thoughts about selling the Mem to Sainsburys (or anyone for that matter) the original plans were given the thumbs up by the Royal British Legion.

This was vandalism. To make matters worse it's on the only part of the stadium that absolutely everyone agrees is a War Memorial, the gates. It's disgusting.

Sadly I imagine this was probably the work of one or a couple of thick little shits wanting attention, which they've now got. Bastards, I really hope they're caught.

I think the point I'm trying to make is by Higgs and Co wanting to demolish the ground that's an act of 'legal' vandalism and I'd put Higgs and Co in the same bracket as these disgusting morons.

Legally the ground isn't a memorial but it's clear that was the intention for it to me. Isn't there some paper work that mysteriously went missing?

I'd rather just say thank you to those condemning those responsible and leave it like that until we know more. 

Even bigger thanks to those who dipped into their own pockets at this time of year when money is often tight. 

Solidarity is good and let's see how it progresses from here. 

Archived