IGNORED

Memorial Gates sprayed again

Barrs Court Red

1 minute ago, Red Right Hand said:

Reading the thread over there and it appears they think they may have identified one of the culprits and it doesn`t look good for him if it`s true TBH.

If we're thinking of the same bit of the thread I'm not sure if the chap was a culprit just writing silly comments about it on Twitter.

What surprised me was one of their moderators suggesting retribution through reporting him to his work which I thought was a bit off really. Looks like an 18 year old kid who just said a few silly things for attention, not necessarily a culprit.

46 minutes ago, ten minutes of rough said:

I think for the sake of dignity we have to take the blame, if it is proved to be a stitch up then we can react. But at the moment we are the undeniable culprits, by trying to work out of it makes us look worse.

I repeat, some of the comments on this forum directed at them goes beyond just football. If you want to point fingers, let us show some restraint too.

"We" are not the culprits, the individuals who committed the crime are the culprits. They do not represent us. If it was the other way around I wouldn't be blaming Rovers supporters as a corporate whole, and I likewise I wouldn't expect them to blame us.

1 minute ago, Phileas Fogg said:

If we're thinking of the same bit of the thread I'm not sure if the chap was a culprit just writing silly comments about it on Twitter.

What surprised me was one of their moderators suggesting retribution through reporting him to his work which I thought was a bit off really. Looks like an 18 year old kid who just said a few silly things for attention, not necessarily a culprit.

Not good that it seems he might be one of our stewards though. I think the club may well take a dim view of that, even if it was just comments.

3 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

I thought the same to be honest. Very vindictive, totally unnecessary and actually quite childish. 

It's one thing to make your own private comment to his employer, quite another to post his employers' details and encourage people to report this chap with an express aim of getting him sacked. 

3 minutes ago, Red Right Hand said:

Not good that it seems he might be one of our stewards though. I think the club may well take a dim view of that, even if it was just comments.

True, misguided and silly but just seems to be attention seeking to me.

3 minutes ago, 29AR said:

I thought the same to be honest. Very vindictive, totally unnecessary and actually quite childish. 

It's one thing to make your own private comment to his employer, quite another to post his employers' details and encourage people to report this chap with an express aim of getting him sacked. 

Exactly, he's only 18 and reading his content not all that bright. Can't imagine our mods doing that.

7 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

True, misguided and silly but just seems to be attention seeking to me.

Exactly, he's only 18 and reading his content not all that bright. Can't imagine our mods doing that.

I`m sure you`re right and he probably regrets it now but he is employed by a company who are a contractor working for BCFC. If I were his employer, I would be looking to be seen to do something as I couldn`t allow something like this to jeopardise one of my company`s contracts. Just an apology for being stupid would probably do it.

Sorry if this have been mention on this thread but dont have the time today. But its seems to me thats this is a possible piece of  false flag   vandalism.

Further more its the roveres who want to bulldoze the ground and build a supermarket on the site which surley is also a piece of vandalism.

The gates should be moved and brought to the home of Bristol rugby club.

Disgusting.

Only marginally worse then desicrating the whole memorial with a giant sainsburys.

This is awful and i have gladly donated, but only out of respect for the site.

The filthy money grabbing gypsies who would sell it for a few pieces of silver should consider the glass house they live in before they throw stones.

2 hours ago, RedM said:

I can't get my head around this mindless, insulting vandalism. But what I can't understand either is why the morons think they are getting at Bristol Rovers by doing this. I always consider the gates being the rugby clubs gates, during the planning rows it has been stated several times it's the gates that are the memorial, not the ground.

my solution, leave the ground to the other football club and bring the gates over to Ashton Gate for the rugby club, where we could look after them and respect the memories thy represent.

As a Bristol Rugby fan, there's nothing I'd like more.  It was horrific to see the graffiti, but almost as galling as to see the Post talk about "Bristol Rover's Memorial Gates" and even having an argument with the Gas fan whose tweet appears in the article as she was trying to claim "the gates are just a war memorial, nothing to do with rugby players." (Tweets now deleted after I told her she was an idiot and it is obvious that for all her outrage she'd never even read the inscription.)

Respect to all of you for being quick to condemn this, and to set up the clean up fund whether it was needed or not.  

2 minutes ago, 054123 said:

Burying the lead a little a bit.

Where's the bit about the memorial being completely pulled downand replaced with a supermarket.

It's true that the gates are technically on borrowed time as BRFC have attained planning consent to demolish the gates and NOT replace them.

However, it's 99% certain this act was committed by 'followers' of this club and now is the time to suck it up and rightfully condemn the actions of a tiny, tiny minority - not try and wriggle out of it.

For it to happen twice is just f-ing ridiculous. Puts our club in such a bad light and all because of the actions of maybe only 1 or 2 people.

1 hour ago, Phileas Fogg said:

I thought that. Not being funny, the kid is clearly a moron who really needs to be taught a lesson. But to actively shame him in front of hundreds of people on an Internet forum and potentially ruin his career (at the age of 18!) by contacting his employers and getting him the sack. That moderator is clearly very simple or has absolutely no capability of seeing the bigger picture. There are many suitable ways to 'punish' him but that absolutely is not it.

5 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

It's true that the gates are technically on borrowed time as BRFC have attained planning consent to demolish the gates and NOT replace them.

However, it's 99% certain this act was committed by 'followers' of this club and now is the time to suck it up and rightfully condemn the actions of a tiny, tiny minority - not try and wriggle out of it.

For it to happen twice is just f-ing ridiculous. Puts our club in such a bad light and all because of the actions of maybe only 1 or 2 people.

Not trying to wriggle out of anything as my post openly states.

Just makes me physically sick how vile and hypocritical they are.

FML - the over reaction on this is ridiculous. The amount of people getting on their high horse...

It wasn't exactly a calculated insult to the dead was it? I dont think the perpetrators wanted to deface war memorials.

As someone said they are probably 15 year old kids who just need to learn a lesson.

People calling for life bans need to take a look at themselves...

1 hour ago, sglosbcfc said:

I am really pleased you never did anything you regretted as a teenager especially after having a drink. In my opinion a life ban from City is excessive, it would be better to get them doing something constructive like assisting Rovers and City with some of the great work they do in the community. How about organizing some sport events at the children's hospice?

There is a massive difference between youthful misdemeanours and desecration of a memorial. 

1 hour ago, ChippenhamRed said:

"We" are not the culprits, the individuals who committed the crime are the culprits. They do not represent us. If it was the other way around I wouldn't be blaming Rovers supporters as a corporate whole, and I likewise I wouldn't expect them to blame us.

Disagree, 'we' are all culpable, the amount of hysteria posted on here at Rovers, Pulis, Holloway etc, is it any wonder some less intelligent 'supporters' feel that this sort of thing is justified?

So yes we are all carry the burden I am afraid, with the possible exception of me and a few, that believe that you can have differences and passion without resorting to some of the brutal comments that are a constant feature on here.

So yes the Royal, 'we' is appropriate here. Try asking SL if he agrees? I think he would. 

44 minutes ago, 054123 said:

Disgusting.

Only marginally worse then desicrating the whole memorial with a giant sainsburys.

This is awful and i have gladly donated, but only out of respect for the site.

The filthy money grabbing gypsies who would sell it for a few pieces of silver should consider the glass house they live in before they throw stones.

You make my point very well, you are a disgrace in light of what has happened, hypocrite , keep your money.

The fact that it is all over the media (Sky, BBC, the Evil Post) is the worst thing. The timing could not have been worse with all of these sports news outlets desperate to fill their schedules with anything remotely newsworthy as there`s no sport for a few days. If this had happened on Sunday it wouldn`t have had anything like the coverage it has had. Every bit of news that`s broadcast associates this crime with BCFC `supporters` and, no matter how much we condemn it, this is what others will think too.

35 minutes ago, Collis1 said:

FML - the over reaction on this is ridiculous. The amount of people getting on their high horse...

It wasn't exactly a calculated insult to the dead was it? I dont think the perpetrators wanted to deface war memorials.

As someone said they are probably 15 year old kids who just need to learn a lesson.

People calling for life bans need to take a look at themselves...

A life ban is the minimum these ***** should get. We don't want them associated with our club.

Typical Rovers. Completely unable to see this for what it is over on their forum. Don't get me wrong if the roles were reversed I'd expect some of ours to generalise to the whole club undoubtedly, but I'd expect the vast majority not to. Over there they're just using it as a weapon against all City fans when every City fan is condemning it.

There seems to be 1 or 2 over there talking sense with regard to the kid on Twitter who made a stupid comment. The rest want him hung, drawn and quartered for posting two words on social media.

6 minutes ago, nebristolred said:

Typical Rovers. Completely unable to see this for what it is over on their forum. Don't get me wrong if the roles were reversed I'd expect some of ours to generalise to the whole club undoubtedly, but I'd expect the vast majority not to. Over there they're just using it as a weapon against all City fans when every City fan is condemning it.

There seems to be 1 or 2 over there talking sense with regard to the kid on Twitter who made a stupid comment. The rest want him hung, drawn and quartered for posting two words on social media.

Do you really expect anything else? As a few have pointed they are hypocrites of the highest order, but there's no need to go into detail there.

Blackpool had the same a few years back as did the one in Preston a good few years ago , nothing to do with football fans nor any decent human being , having visited many regions of France and Belgium and being involved at local levels with the Royal British Legion and a long term member of the Western Front Association I find it impossible to comprehend the benefit/satisfaction of vandalising something to remember the people who gave there yesterday for our today , but as I say its happened Im sure in all parts of the county and the pages of responses says a lot about the people of Bristol and there immediate response ...

Mortis

3 hours ago, sglosbcfc said:

I think we need a sense of perspective, they are not murderers, rapists, paedophiles they are almost certainly 15 year old lads, who have had too much Xmas Cider, not realized that the whole gate is a memorial and not just the plaque and done something really stupid that they thought at the time would be great banter. I think they should do some unpaid work for Rovers and City in the community as a punishment. I'm not excusing them for one minute by I don't think they are deserving of a lynch mob either.

Wise words.

Aizoon said "Christmas banged up is less than they deserve". Be interested to learn what he deems fitting punishment.

1 minute ago, AzerbaijanApeman said:

Wise words.

Aizoon said "Christmas banged up is less than they deserve". Be interested to learn what he deems fitting punishment.

A months' youth detention sounds about right. They will, of course get a severe telling-off, which will do them no end of good.

Archived