IGNORED

ALL Rumours for January Transfer window (Merged)

fly in the air

1 minute ago, JoeAman08 said:

He was there at MK. He went back in October. 

You don't understand Google do you? 

He was available for anyone. He was a target and he was snatched up. Poyet has his loan ended and was back on loan to Charlton within 24 hours. Callum Robinson was sent back and within 2 days was at Preston. All clubs around us able to identify a target and get him quickly. Why isn't Bristol City doing this? Still HOPING we can attract bigger? Good luck, it worked well in the summer. 

Yes, but the fact he was loaned out in the first place proves he wasn't required by Brighton, they already had the cover in the squad.

City, rightly or wrongly, are better quality players than those going to our rivals. Therefore we have to wait as the parent clubs want to keep these players as back up until they get replacements in. It's a long game, and if it does work it will be great, if it doesn't then yes we have major issues.

Just read Neil Kilkenny is off to Barnsley from Preston.

Three jokes I could do here:

1. Shame, was hoping he would play against us on Tuesday! 

2. I'm just "pointing" this out. 

3. Why aren't we in for a centre midfielder who has over 100 Championship games?!?

4 minutes ago, Selred said:

3. Why aren't we in for a centre midfielder who has over 100 Championship games?!?

Don't worry about the 100 Championship games...

Kilkenny alone has 1000 Championship points!

We should be signing players like this.

22 minutes ago, Redman91bcfc said:

It's a snowball effect. We have to wait for Norwich to sign a striker, then for Bournemouth to sign Grabban, for Kermorgant to then become available before we can get our man. Hence why more activity will happen at the end of Jan

We've been in this situation before. It's fine as long as all the plans fall into place. All it needs is for one transfer to fall through or an injury and were stuffed. Even if he does sign at the end of the month, he's not fully match fit, so it could be mid February before he makes an impact. If he turns out to be like Matt Smith - awful, the great - I don't mind. 

29 minutes ago, Selred said:

Reunited with LJ who have also signed a promising young Man United striker, Ashley Fletcher, on loan.  Never rated Kilkenny at all, even less so after he allegedly was wanting us to lose when he wasn't in the team.

59 minutes ago, Selred said:

Yes, but the fact he was loaned out in the first place proves he wasn't required by Brighton, they already had the cover in the squad.

City, rightly or wrongly, are better quality players than those going to our rivals. Therefore we have to wait as the parent clubs want to keep these players as back up until they get replacements in. It's a long game, and if it does work it will be great, if it doesn't then yes we have major issues.

56 minutes ago, Redman91bcfc said:

It's a snowball effect. We have to wait for Norwich to sign a striker, then for Bournemouth to sign Grabban, for Kermorgant to then become available before we can get our man. Hence why more activity will happen at the end of Jan

Yes I get we may have to wait a bit but for a squad of our size we should be able to get a couple now and a couple later. The point I'm trying to make is that others around us aren't waiting. They are getting guys they feel can improve their squad. JFK would've at least been a better back up option for Smith and Pack. I know they say we don't want backup but we clearly need it. Korey could very well be missing a game in the near future. Would've been nice to have that option. We sat Cox on the bench for 2 and a half months with plenty of strikers fit. We don't have CM options. JFK hasn't been at MK for a couple months. Anyone could've enquired. 

Now this link with Harry Winks. MK listed as the favorite. Go out and get him if that's your man. Even if he's second option because you have a better one who COULD become available. It's way too risky to wait for this snowball effect. We done it in the summer with no results so why try it again? 

2 minutes ago, JoeAman08 said:

Yes I get we may have to wait a bit but for a squad of our size we should be able to get a couple now and a couple later. The point I'm trying to make is that others around us aren't waiting. They are getting guys they feel can improve their squad. JFK would've at least been a better back up option for Smith and Pack. I know they say we don't want backup but we clearly need it. Korey could very well be missing a game in the near future. Would've been nice to have that option. We sat Cox on the bench for 2 and a half months with plenty of strikers fit. We don't have CM options. JFK hasn't been at MK for a couple months. Anyone could've enquired. 

Now this link with Harry Winks. MK listed as the favorite. Go out and get him if that's your man. Even if he's second option because you have a better one who COULD become available. It's way too risky to wait for this snowball effect. We done it in the summer with no results so why try it again? 

I'm not sure we will stay up by bringing in the calibre of players than MK Dons, Charlton etc are currently signing. 

We don't need back up players, mainly as Cotterill doesn't do subs. I'd rather we waited and signed a player who would start in CM, and then have the likes of Pack as the back up. The likes of Cox and Robinson were brought in to make up the numbers and were just a waste of money.

Just now, Selred said:

I'm not sure we will stay up by bringing in the calibre of players than MK Dons, Charlton etc are currently signing. 

We don't need back up players, mainly as Cotterill doesn't do subs. I'd rather we waited and signed a player who would start in CM, and then have the likes of Pack as the back up. The likes of Cox and Robinson were brought in to make up the numbers and were just a waste of money.

If we had competent back up than I fully expect they'd play. As far as the calibre of player others are bringing in, it's another debate. MK and Preston are ahead of us so they're doing it a bit better at the moment. 

The thing about waiting is that it isn't guaranteed. Maybe SW is waiting for Norwich to buy Gayle, Bournemouth to buy Grabban before they snatch up YK. It's all good and well to wait but the league isn't going to wait for us. They'll be out there making moves and taking gambles that pay off or not pay off while nice Bristol City wait for their guy who goes to an 8th place team instead and then moan about how we couldn't compete financially. Every other team in this division has a large squad so if our excuse of a small one is talent, go out and get it because wages shouldn't be as big an issue with a squad of 16

In midfield the real test is this:

Are the likes of Foster-Caskey and Poyet any better than Bobby Reid? Because he is currently our back up to our first two choices and there is no point us adding someone who is no better than him.

My hunch is these two are not (or if so, not by enough to bother) but by our aim has to be to bring in someone who is  better than Pack, so moving him and Reid down the pecking order.

Until someone we could get moves to a rival club at the bottom then I won't think we've missed out, but with games coming thick and fast after the weekend I don't think we can afford to wait too long.

7 minutes ago, Selred said:

Crazy isn't it? Puts us at a distinct disadvantage to other teams that now how to sub a bench.  

2 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

In midfield the real test is this:

Are the likes of Foster-Caskey and Poyet any better than Bobby Reid? Because he is currently our back up to our first two choices and there is no point us adding someone who is no better than him.

My hunch is these two are not (or if so, not by enough to bother) but by our aim has to be to bring in someone who is  better than Pack, so moving him and Reid down the pecking order.

Until someone we could get moves to a rival club at the bottom then I won't think we've missed out, but with games coming thick and fast after the weekend I don't think we can afford to wait too long.

We don't ever really know who is better. I'm not saying we should be in for the likes of Poyet and JFK. That's up for the club to decide. The point is that business can be done. If the targets are identified then go get them. The fact the we are waiting tells me(it's just me it could tell you something else) we are only interested in Plan A. Sure we are what, 6 days in? What if Plan A takes 2 weeks to be available and he doesn't come? Then we have a week and a half left to get someone else in. Target Plan A. Can't get him, go to Plan B etc until there are no more plans better than what we have already got. 

8 minutes ago, Dave said:

It seems we are working to the same plan as the Summer transfer window, and that has left us with a small squad and third from bottom.

I suggest lessons have not been learnt.

Absoloutely agree 100% with you Dave that lessons have not been learnt.

The alarm bells started ringing with me when Twentyman interviewed Lansdown before the QPR game (19th Dec) and when Twentyman asked about potential targets etc, Lansdown admitted he had not seen a list of targets and would expect to see something in the next week. To me that's when it home that we were facing the same issues as the Summer.

I'm not optimistic that we will get the required players in this window and the club will end up using the loan system yet again!!. All very depresing.

Hold on to your hats as the ride to the end of the season is going to be a rocky one.

This weeks interview, has left me with the same feeling for this transfer window, as the SC interview after the Yeovil friendly did for the summer transfer window.

I commented then of my concerns, but was assured everything was in hand, well our one confirmed permanent signing after that lasted about a month.

I find it incredible that are current situation does not require immediate action.

I think there is a saying about what happens if you keep doing the same things.

18 minutes ago, Spoons said:

jed Wallace to millwall on loan from wolves. Good signing, he was always going to struggle for game time at wolves. He would be good competition for Marlon pack

Well, he would be if he played the same position as Pack. Which he doesn't. 

Wallace is predominantly a right winger. We don't play with wingers. He can also play an advanced midfield role. But he can't do the DM role like Pack. 

3 minutes ago, Harry said:

Well, he would be if he played the same position as Pack. Which he doesn't. 

Wallace is predominantly a right winger. We don't play with wingers. He can also play an advanced midfield role. But he can't do the DM role like Pack. 

he played central midfield for Pompey smart arse!!! He scored goals good at free kicks etc. He also linked play between defence and midfield. He can play wide right but he favours centre mid.

1 minute ago, Spoons said:

he played central midfield for Pompey smart arse!!! He scored goals good at free kicks etc. He also linked play between defence and midfield. He can play wide right but he favours centre mid.

He doesn't play the defensive, holding midfield role which Pack does. So no, he's not a Pack replacement. 

Not trying to be a smart arse. Just saying that Wallace & Pack do completely different roles. 

5 minutes ago, Harry said:

He doesn't play the defensive, holding midfield role which Pack does. So no, he's not a Pack replacement. 

Not trying to be a smart arse. Just saying that Wallace & Pack do completely different roles. 

disagree. Pack takes all free kicks etc, takes ball off keeper to link play. Also if we didn't play stupid formation would lovey to see korey and Wallace play together. Suppose I can dream.

12 minutes ago, Spoons said:

disagree. Pack takes all free kicks etc, takes ball off keeper to link play. Also if we didn't play stupid formation would lovey to see korey and Wallace play together. Suppose I can dream.

Pack wins a lot of tackles, and wins a lot of things in the air. He isn't our creative link, thats Freeman. If we signed Wallace he would complete with Freeman not Pack.

Rogerio Ceni the ex Sao Paulo goalkeeper used to take free kicks and penalties, doesn't mean he is the same player as Pack. 

11 minutes ago, Spoons said:

Pack screens off aerial balls before they reach the defence, stopping the back 3 from coming forward and ending up out of position. Cotterill explained the role in one of his very first interviews after he had Marvin Elliot do it against Tamworth.

Whoever replaces Pack (if anyone) would need to be able to do this as Smith's lack of height prevents him from doing it effectively. From what I've seen of Wallace, I think he'd struggle at it.

It might, of course, be possible for Cotterill to change tactics and not require a midfielder to perform this role, but that would likely cause problems elsewhere.

Just now, Selred said:

Pack wins a lot of tackles, and wins a lot of things in the air. He isn't our creative link, thats Freeman. If we signed Wallace he would complete with Freeman not Pack.

Rogerio Ceni the ex Sao Paulo goalkeeper used to take free kicks and penalties, doesn't mean he is the same player as Pack. 

don't know what game's you been watching this season, I haven't seen freeman create sweet f a!! Opinions I suppose , but don't get set in ways like SC and realise we can play different formations etc. If we did That we might find it easier to sign players instead of players who only play in a rigid 5-3-2.

17 minutes ago, Spoons said:

What Harry is saying is that Pack does a lot of the teams defensive work in front of the defence, whereas Wallace is more of a Freeman player in the attacking sense - behind the strikers. Two different players for two different positions. We're not getting him anyway so it doesn't matter.

Smart arse.

10 minutes ago, Taz said:

What Harry is saying is that Pack does a lot of the teams defensive work in front of the defence, whereas Wallace is more of a Freeman player in the attacking sense - behind the strikers. Two different players for two different positions. We're not getting him anyway so it doesn't matter.

Smart arse.

OK team harry!!!

Archived