IGNORED

ALL Rumours for January Transfer window (Merged)

fly in the air

24 minutes ago, steviestevieneville said:

Any idea where these rumours have come from then because ive just looked on four of their forums and no mention of Lambert ,never mind him coming to us.

He's probably too busy picking up Leroy Lita, Adel Taraabt and all the others we are linked with at every window. ;)

5 hours ago, 29AR said:

Just wondering why you're so down on Matt Smith? When he went back to Fulham after the loan here he continued his red hot form, and all he is being used as there is a sub currently. 

What I think Smith would bring is a big injection of confidence in to the squad. Our players know him, know they can work with him and know that he knows where the back of the net is. He'd add that bit of bite I believe our team needs, albeit I hope we get a midfield terrier too. 

Personally I hope he's one of our primary targets. I'd imagine he'd be available for a reasonable fee too.

Not down on Smith think we need an out and out goalscorer. Not good stats for Smith at Chsmpionship level 20 goals in 71 games, still young I know better players available. 

6 hours ago, samo II said:

13 Smith is a proven Championship goal scorer - certainly more so than anyone we currently have currently.

Considering his goals-to-minutes at this level, we'd be lucky to have him - few other players that I believe would join us (and though unlikely, think Matt Smith would, if we could afford him) would have records as good at his at his age.

20 goals in 71 games

On 28 December 2015 at 20:34, Phileas Fogg said:

Can't wait for the inevitable "the transfer window doesn't really shut for us on the 31st, the loan window opens a few days after" when we have failed to bring in anyone by January 25th

What is the significance of the 25th of January? Other than it being my birthday of course! 

2 hours ago, shelts said:

20 goals in 71 games

Lies, damn lies and statistics - you'll notice I didn't say goals-to-games, but 'minutes'.

That works our as a goal every 3.7 games (he's played 68 not 71 at this level, and scored 18 goals; think you counted some cup stuff), which is a far from terrible ratio for a target man - Wilbraham has fewer than ten goals at this level in well over that number of appearances across his time there.  

If you slice it another way (as I say; lies, damn lies...) and cut it down to just starts would make it 18 goals in only 33 starts, which is a startlingly good record, and due to the sheer number of times he's been brought on as an substitute/substituted cutting down his minutes, if you brake down his record to minutes-per-goal, he'd challenge a fair few 'established' strikers at this level - having been out of favour almost since signing for Fulham, he's rarely got a run to really show what he can do; when he did at Leeds, he did very well.

Also; none of this speaks to his other contributions - the season he partnered McCormack at Leeds, he set up a good number of the aforementioned striker's goals, who plundered 28 in 42, so I've little doubt he'd be an effective player for us, as unlikely as I think it is we'll sign him.  And it is without doubt that combined with Flint, he made us a complete nightmare at set pieces last year, which was a big part in our success, and is an area we're far less effective in this term (being Baker only scored his first professional goal versus Charlton, it's been depressing how little goal threat anyone beyond our strikers have contributed).

As I say; don't think we could afford him, and maybe he's made it clear he wants to stay at Fulham, but if we are reaching the stage where we are slagging off Kodjia (not saying you were BTW, but on this thread some are) and saying the likes of Matt Smith are not good enough for us, then we are deluding ourselves - he'd improve us, and Kodjia is as much a 'wheelie bin' (whatever that idiotic comment means) as I am the new Pele; to start getting on his back when their are several other players who simply do not look cut out for this level is bonkers.

If Matt Smith was in our dressing room, we'd be a stronger team for it, and without Kodjia we'd have next to zero regular goal threat - if we think we're likely to get better players in than these in the scenario we're in now, we need to reset our expectations.

6 hours ago, Shtanley said:

I wouldn't want Smith. Absolutely no mobility which means that Kodjia would have to do the pressing of 2 players and get tired quickly. Wouldn't mind that lanky blonde guy for Charlton though he looked alright I thought. 

I thought the Charlton player was absolute garbage , and a right ugly bas***d as well !

6 hours ago, Shtanley said:

I wouldn't want Smith. Absolutely no mobility which means that Kodjia would have to do the pressing of 2 players and get tired quickly. Wouldn't mind that lanky blonde guy for Charlton though he looked alright I thought. 

Yep, Makienok - he was a handful and gave Flint/Baker a hard game. They just tried to hit him with everything and a fair bit of the time he won the ball. Liked him too.

If we are looking at someone to partner Kodjia then I think the names must of us have already mentioned, namely, Smith, Lafferty and now Lambert are the right types.  Could we get any of them, I don't know.  Over the past month, I've started to see Smith as the answer.  @samo II sums up his stats nicely as well as what else he contributes.

If not, then do we change approach and go for a striker to get in behind their back line?

Would welcome Smith as a replacement for Wilbs,I do worry where the goals are going to come from to keep us up. A fox in the box type of player. Do u take a punt on a young up and coming player, Bradshaw of Walsall or a more established players on loan like Ulloa (Leicester) Crouch (Stoke) the kind of players desperate for game time and not getting any at all 

1 minute ago, Davefevs said:

If we are looking at someone to partner Kodjia then I think the names must of us have already mentioned, namely, Smith, Lafferty and now Lambert are the right types.  Could we get any of them, I don't know.  Over the past month, I've started to see Smith as the answer.  @samo II sums up his stats nicely as well as what else he contributes.

If not, then do we change approach and go for a striker to get in behind their back line?

SC gave Lafferty his break at Burnley, though I've zero insight into their relationship beyond that.  But it seems unlikely he'll not want regular football across the next four months, as sitting on the bench at Norwich is hardly going to help him get ready for the Euro.

Doesn't of course suggest we might stand any chance of snagging him, but I highly doubt Norwich will lend/sell him to a rival Prem team (as who will want him but those also fighting relegation), and looking at the top sides in this league, I'd suggest few are lacking striking options (unless they all do a Wolves and buy ten players for two places...).

Smith would be more than welcome in my eyes; much needed support for Wilbraham and the other forwards, and wouldn't have to worry about 'settling in' as that is all done - additionally, as mentioned, think he'd significantly improve our threat at set pieces, which could be the difference in tight games in what looks to be a tight run in.  

Still; new manager at Fulham might put him right back in contention, and aware he got a serious injury earlier this year, and even then might be in the situation Norwich are with Lafferty, as in them not wanting to sell a player like him to a rival.

2 minutes ago, Rednwhiterob said:

I'd be keen to look at picking up Ben Amos and Zac Clough from Bolton.

I'd take Zac Clough in a hearbeat; very exciting young talent.  Don't think we'd be able to get him though, as even if Bolton needed the money, don't think they'd want to strengthen a relegation rival, plus others will be in for him.

4 minutes ago, shelts said:

Would welcome Smith as a replacement for Wilbs,I do worry where the goals are going to come from to keep us up. A fox in the box type of player. Do u take a punt on a young up and coming player, Bradshaw of Walsall or a more established players on loan like Ulloa (Leicester) Crouch (Stoke) the kind of players desperate for game time and not getting any at all 

Pretty sure Ulloa is getting game time at the premier league leaders so could be doubtful whether he will want to leave and join a championship team in the relegation zone.

On 28 December 2015 at 14:51, Phileas Fogg said:

I think he is, Cech shipped 4 goals vs Southampton the other day, doesn't make him a bad keeper.

Applying the OTIB theory of relativity ( one game is sufficient to make a judgement) it does.

7 minutes ago, samo II said:

SC gave Lafferty his break at Burnley, though I've zero insight into their relationship beyond that.  But it seems unlikely he'll not want regular football across the next four months, as sitting on the bench at Norwich is hardly going to help him get ready for the Euro.

Doesn't of course suggest we might stand any chance of snagging him, but I highly doubt Norwich will lend/sell him to a rival Prem team (as who will want him but those also fighting relegation), and looking at the top sides in this league, I'd suggest few are lacking striking options (unless they all do a Wolves and buy ten players for two places...).

Smith would be more than welcome in my eyes; much needed support for Wilbraham and the other forwards, and wouldn't have to worry about 'settling in' as that is all done - additionally, as mentioned, think he'd significantly improve our threat at set pieces, which could be the difference in tight games in what looks to be a tight run in.  

Still; new manager at Fulham might put him right back in contention, and aware he got a serious injury earlier this year, and even then might be in the situation Norwich are with Lafferty, as in them not wanting to sell a player like him to a rival.

I'd take Zac Clough in a hearbeat; very exciting young talent.  Don't think we'd be able to get him though, as even if Bolton needed the money, don't think they'd want to strengthen a relegation rival, plus others will be in for him.

You're probably right but I think these are the type of player we should at least be asking about.

oops meant to quote your other post Samo!

19 minutes ago, samo II said:

Lafferty can't even make the bench at Norwich, his appearance there at the weekend was only the second or third time he's been on it this season.

He's been linked with Leeds, St. Etienne and interestingly despite what a previous president there said about him, with a return to Palermo.

No way will a Premiership team be interested though, I also have no idea if he is on our radar or within our wage structure and admittedly he is the definition of unpredictable, but anyone who has seen his displays for Northern Ireland this year will be hoping he is..

Just now, Rednwhiterob said:

You're probably right but I think these are the type of player we should at least be asking about.

You'll not see me disagreeing; right now, I'd hope we are reaching out to any potential source of players - hell; go back to Palace about Gayle, as it is pretty clear he's not playing.  

If we could get Clough I'd be ecstatic, even if we weren't able to stay up, as think he has the talent to be a big player in the future, and certainly would be a major player in League One, were we to go down.  

Similar scenario with Adam Armstrong who is tearing it up at Coventry just now; young enough to warrant a gamble, and would also be a long term asset were we to head down a division.  

I'll admit to having been sceptical about buying high scoring League One players in the past; for example having seen him play I'd not thought much of Tom Bradshaw (see he's been out injured the last month; guy has a bad record for that), and Agard is not looking like even a 10 a season striker at this level (though he's not got much of a sniff, to be fair to him). 

Only thing that has me thinking there may be merit in it is Freddie Sears; last January he was touted as a potential signing after getting 10 in 24, but he was written off by many, as we were looking for players to possibly help next (this) year, if we went up - he then moved to Ipswich, and since has helped them to the play-offs, and scored 13 goals in 34 league games.  

So maybe we need to take a risk, but if we do I'd rather it was on someone like Armstrong, who is at least young enough to likely increase in value, and not break our wage budget.

Oh the irony of saying Matt smith is a good enough goal scorer. He's basically 1 in 3. Wilbraham about 1 in 6. Agard I won't even venture to guess(ok I will, maybe 1 in 8). Point is 1-3 is better than we have. He fits this team, he fits our style, he fits the attitude. I'm not saying he's the perfect striker for us but anyone who watches a little football league show in the past year knows he provides goals, link up play and a bit of play making. When fit, and that's the biggest problem he has, he's a top half championship striker. 

Archived