IGNORED

ALL Rumours for January Transfer window (Merged)

fly in the air

1 minute ago, Moor2Sea said:

This makes me unhappy.

Might be in the minority here, but for me a bit of a lightweight who often goes awol on defensive dutiies. His goal tally is? Is he Much better than what we've got and to use a Johnsonism, does he make an impact on the game? 

Considering we have about 14 players including Murray and the tea lady I don't think we can afford to be all that choosy right now!

9 minutes ago, BRISTOL86 said:

Considering we have about 14 players including Murray and the tea lady I don't think we can afford to be all that choosy right now!

Very true. Sign him up, how about an offer of a new bathroom and then chuck in a Samsung washing machine for his kitchen. Ought to clinch it. 

16 minutes ago, Moor2Sea said:

This makes me unhappy.

Might be in the minority here, but for me a bit of a lightweight who often goes awol on defensive dutiies. His goal tally is? Is he Much better than what we've got and to use a Johnsonism, does he make an impact on the game? 

On the contrary. I think he's one of our better players and on the occasions where we have performed well. 

He's a first teamer and given the gaping holes in the squad the last thing we needed at the start of the January window was to be one down on numbers (didn't his loan finish in January?)

6 minutes ago, TETBURY MASSIVE said:

I don't have any other confirmed 'Opinions' at this present time.

That's unfortunate. I'm glad EB looks to be on board, think he's been good for us most games he's played in.

When it comes to the summer transfer window I find it really disheartening, SC has been getting abuse from fans all around the ground, people need to realise he's not at fault here (not entirely). This (I presume) is the reason SC is still in his job, because it wasn't his 'F up'. Having said that, I am surprised nothing (seemingly) happened with a midfielder.  

I can understand SC's frustrations, and i really hope more fans realise this. 

What needs to happen now is moving forward, we can't dwell on past mistakes (no matter how big) and need to work to a solution. Personally, i don't think the January window will be a long term solution. If (and i think he will, just) SC keeps us up this season then i think we can be optimistic for next season.

Lets get behind the team and management and start getting some points on the board!

COYR

On 29 December 2015 at 17:26, samo II said:

Lies, damn lies and statistics - you'll notice I didn't say goals-to-games, but 'minutes'.

That works our as a goal every 3.7 games (he's played 68 not 71 at this level, and scored 18 goals; think you counted some cup stuff), which is a far from terrible ratio for a target man - Wilbraham has fewer than ten goals at this level in well over that number of appearances across his time there.  

If you slice it another way (as I say; lies, damn lies...) and cut it down to just starts would make it 18 goals in only 33 starts, which is a startlingly good record, and due to the sheer number of times he's been brought on as an substitute/substituted cutting down his minutes, if you brake down his record to minutes-per-goal, he'd challenge a fair few 'established' strikers at this level - having been out of favour almost since signing for Fulham, he's rarely got a run to really show what he can do; when he did at Leeds, he did very well.

Also; none of this speaks to his other contributions - the season he partnered McCormack at Leeds, he set up a good number of the aforementioned striker's goals, who plundered 28 in 42, so I've little doubt he'd be an effective player for us, as unlikely as I think it is we'll sign him.  And it is without doubt that combined with Flint, he made us a complete nightmare at set pieces last year, which was a big part in our success, and is an area we're far less effective in this term (being Baker only scored his first professional goal versus Charlton, it's been depressing how little goal threat anyone beyond our strikers have contributed).

As I say; don't think we could afford him, and maybe he's made it clear he wants to stay at Fulham, but if we are reaching the stage where we are slagging off Kodjia (not saying you were BTW, but on this thread some are) and saying the likes of Matt Smith are not good enough for us, then we are deluding ourselves - he'd improve us, and Kodjia is as much a 'wheelie bin' (whatever that idiotic comment means) as I am the new Pele; to start getting on his back when their are several other players who simply do not look cut out for this level is bonkers.

If Matt Smith was in our dressing room, we'd be a stronger team for it, and without Kodjia we'd have next to zero regular goal threat - if we think we're likely to get better players in than these in the scenario we're in now, we need to reset our expectations.

This is a great summation of Matt Smith and the value he provides. I think he would be a cracking signing. Whether he comes here or not, who knows.

IMO the biggest problem we have had this season is not having an influential, experienced player like Elliott in the middle of the park pulling the strings. Pack can maybe learn to be that guy, but I don't want him learning whilst we plummet to the bottom of the table, so for me it is essential that we now (finally) replace Elliott in this window. For me I would like to see the following in priority order:

1. Elliott replacement
  2. Goalscoring striker
  3. Extension/signing of Baker & Elliott
  4. Goalkeeping cover
  5. Possibly an experienced CB at this level on short-term loan (Flint, Baker, Aylng, Moore, Williams - all decent players but none have much experience at this level.

Its time to add a bit of experience and know-how to what (for me) is a talented but young/in-experienced squad

Assuming that Tetbury is correct (as he has been time and time before) I find it very encouraging that Elliot Bennet has been here for a while now, has assessed the quality of those around him (and the club/staff) and agreed to join. It's not as if he's not shown him to be a strong player at this level and yet he'll commit to us. 

Sounds like he has more belief than most on Otib! 

• Admin
33 minutes ago, 29AR said:

I find it very encouraging that Elliot Bennet has been here for a while now, has assessed the quality of those around him (and the club/staff) and agreed to join. It's not as if he's not shown him to be a strong player at this level and yet he'll commit to us. 

Add to that he recently had a new fitted kitchen installed at his place in Bristol :chant6ez:

Not sure how people can be disappointed with 'potential' signing of Elliott, getting a better replacement for Little was always one of my choices for this year and I think he's been a solid performer for us. Our squad is small enough so to have someone there who already knows our team tactics instead of signing and embedding another new player is the last thing we need right now

Quality player with championship experience who has enhanced one position and probably within our budget sounds good to me!

Considering Burnley turned down what 6 million from Hull I think lansbury is well out of our reach....people need to make realistic suggestions.

Not convinced Harley Dean would necessarily walk into our defence, especially considering SC wont drop Ayling, unless of course Baker leaves.

Players we should be targeting include Dack, Morsy, Bryson (on a loan assuming he is fit), Matt Smith, would of suggested Woodrow on loan prior to Wednesday.

24 minutes ago, Londoner said:

Considering Burnley turned down what 6 million from Hull I think lansbury is well out of our reach....people need to make realistic suggestions.

I'd have taken if I had been Burnley. I wonder what Nottingham Forest had to say about the whole transaction?

5 hours ago, Ian M said:

I've thought that ever since he tweeted about how excited he was about getting his new kitchen designed (by a Bristol based designer). Not really the action of a temporary player.

His interview in WellRed pointed us in this direction too.

He has also got involved Charity wise.

i think he has been a good loan signing, he wants to play and would make a good permanent addition to the squad. Do we know how much is left on his Norwich contract.  Signed 3 year in 2011 according to wiki, but no mention he signed a new one?

on topic for Jan (in order of priority)

1. Get Bennett and Baker at least until the end of the season
  2. Sign Quality Defensive Midfielder to complement Pack and Smith
  3. Get another striker in to go alongside Kodjia
  4. Sign Another right sided Defender to give us the option of going 4 at the back
  5. Bring in Back up to Fielding (why did Hamer go, I prefered him to Fielding myself)

4-2-3-1 (Fielding GK, Williams LB, Baker CB, Flint CB, New Signing RB, Smith CDM, New Signing CDM, Bryan LW, Freeman/Reid CAM, Bennett RW, Kodjia/New Signing CF)

4-3-3 (Fielding GK, Williams LB, Baker CB, Flint CB, New Signing RB, Smith CDM, Pack/Freeman CM, New Signing CM, Bryan LW, New Signing CF, Kodjia/Bennett RW)

5-3-2 (Fielding GK, Bryan LWB, Williams LCB, Baker RCB, Flint CB , Bennett RWB, Smith CDM, New Signing CDM, Freeman/Reid CAM, Kodjia CF, New Signing CF)

basically 3 good players (RB, CDM and CF) could make a massive massive impact and offer us the flexibility of 3 formations, also allowing us to have Ayling, Pack and Wilbraham as decent backup

4 hours ago, Devereux said:

IMO the biggest problem we have had this season is not having an influential, experienced player like Elliott in the middle of the park pulling the strings. Pack can maybe learn to be that guy, but I don't want him learning whilst we plummet to the bottom of the table, so for me it is essential that we now (finally) replace Elliott in this window. For me I would like to see the following in priority order:

1. Elliott replacement
  2. Goalscoring striker
  3. Extension/signing of Baker & Elliott
  4. Goalkeeping cover
  5. Possibly an experienced CB at this level on short-term loan (Flint, Baker, Aylng, Moore, Williams - all decent players but none have much experience at this level.

Its time to add a bit of experience and know-how to what (for me) is a talented but young/in-experienced squad

I'm getting confused with this thread (easily done though!) - can we agree to either call players by first name or surname?!

Im not sure half the time whether we are talking about Wade Elliott or Elliott Bennett!!

I'm sure you can appreciate my predicament by looking at your points 1) and 3) above?!

It's not just you by the way, and as I said, I am easily confused!

5 minutes ago, Chairman Mao said:

on topic for Jan (in order of priority)

1. Get Bennett and Baker at least until the end of the season
  2. Sign Quality Defensive Midfielder to complement Pack and Smith
  3. Get another striker in to go alongside Kodjia
  4. Sign Another right sided Defender to give us the option of going 4 at the back
  5. Bring in Back up to Fielding (why did Hamer go, I prefered him to Fielding myself)

4-2-3-1 (Fielding GK, Williams LB, Baker CB, Flint CB, New Signing RB, Smith CDM, New Signing CDM, Bryan LW, Freeman/Reid CAM, Bennett RW, Kodjia/New Signing CF)

4-3-3 (Fielding GK, Williams LB, Baker CB, Flint CB, New Signing RB, Smith CDM, Pack/Freeman CM, New Signing CM, Bryan LW, New Signing CF, Kodjia/Bennett RW)

5-3-2 (Fielding GK, Bryan LWB, Williams LCB, Baker RCB, Flint CB , Bennett RWB, Smith CDM, New Signing CDM, Freeman/Reid CAM, Kodjia CF, New Signing CF)

basically 3 good players (RB, CDM and CF) could make a massive massive impact and offer us the flexibility of 3 formations, also allowing us to have Ayling, Pack and Wilbraham as decent backup

Baker already here till the end of the season :)

52 minutes ago, Londoner said:

Not convinced Harley Dean would necessarily walk into our defence, especially considering SC wont drop Ayling, unless of course Baker leaves.

Players we should be targeting include Dack, Morsy, Bryson (on a loan assuming he is fit), Matt Smith, would of suggested Woodrow on loan prior to Wednesday.

Well, we apparently had £9m hanging around for a single transfer a while back so couldn't we chuck that into the mix for Lansbury?! 

Archived