IGNORED

ALL Rumours for January Transfer window (Merged)

fly in the air

14 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Stockhausen now saying we are trying to get a midfielder on a permanent deal and a striker on loan today.

Leaving aside the fact that would give us 6 loan players, 4 of whom would have arrived since Pemberton took over, whereas the other two (Baker and O'Donnell) are currently automatic choices, which means that Pemberton would have to leave out someone that has just signed, which on Saturday's evidence would be either Pearce or Gladwin (awkward), certainly until Fielding was fit at least, my guess is the striker is Macheda, who Cardiff want to move on and fits the type of player we need.

At this late stage as well very few clubs will release players that they want to keep for any fee, so I can't see us getting a more attractive target on board.

Which is why I don't know why we don't try and tie up O'Donnell on a perm.. today.

4 minutes ago, Tomarse said:

Which is why I don't know why we don't try and tie up O'Donnell on a perm.. today.

To be fair, we can sign O'Donnell on a permanent deal at any time and a fee is supposedly already agreed, so for me it would make sense to get the deadline day deals sorted (be they loan or permanent) and get on to the O'Donnell deal tomorrow. It may even be that he's not the only current loan player we try to get on a permanent deal

19 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Stockhausen now saying we are trying to get a midfielder on a permanent deal and a striker on loan today.

Leaving aside the fact that would give us 6 loan players, 4 of whom would have arrived since Pemberton took over, whereas the other two (Baker and O'Donnell) are currently automatic choices, which means that Pemberton would have to leave out someone that has just signed, which on Saturday's evidence would be either Pearce or Gladwin (awkward), certainly until Fielding was fit at least, my guess is the striker is Macheda, who Cardiff want to move on and fits the type of player we need.

At this late stage as well very few clubs will release players that they want to keep for any fee, so I can't see us getting a more attractive target on board.

What would we do if they ever scrapped the loan market for non-emergences.

25 minutes ago, chipdawg said:

To be fair, we can sign O'Donnell on a permanent deal at any time and a fee is supposedly already agreed, so for me it would make sense to get the deadline day deals sorted (be they loan or permanent) and get on to the O'Donnell deal tomorrow. It may even be that he's not the only current loan player we try to get on a permanent deal

I don't think that would free anything up. If we don't register him today then he's not our player until the next window. So he would still be one of the five loanees in our match day squad until the end of the season.

Wenger has just actually made me laugh, (with him not at him) for possibly the first time ever. When asked if he was 100% sure that Arsenal would not be signing anyone in this transfer window......

"Well, 100% is difficult to say, 99% yes. But you know always anything can happen. Somebody can knock at your door. If Lionel Messi knocks at my door at ten to six tonight I will not say please go back to Barcelona..."

:)

3 minutes ago, 29AR said:

I don't think that would free anything up. If we don't register him today then he's not our player until the next window. So he would still be one of the five loanees in our match day squad until the end of the season.

Surely he's registered to play for us now and his contractual status is irrelevant? I though that with 'loan with a view to perm' deals, the player could be signed at any time?

4 minutes ago, chipdawg said:

Surely he's registered to play for us now and his contractual status is irrelevant? I though that with 'loan with a view to perm' deals, the player could be signed at any time?

I don't believe so. What he's done now is a bit like a secondment, Wigan are still his registered club and still his employers, he's just been 'temporarily' transferred to us. We can sign him, or anyone else outside of a transfer window, but it's only during a transfer window that the FA can ratify it. So if we did the deal tomorrow I am fairly certain he'd still be a Wigan player on loan to us until the Summer at which point the deal would complete.

17 minutes ago, chipdawg said:

No, any permanent deal has to be registered by 11pm today or he remains a loan player this season.

1 hour ago, Alessandro said:

Stockhouse seems pretty adamant about us not being in for Smith, Bradshaw, Gilbey or Winnall. 

If anyone, it's Dack and A N Other Striker.....

Time will tell!

He was adamant that Baker wasn't signing on loan. 20 minutes later it was on the OS.

9 hours ago, Superjack said:

I'll tell you what Noggers...

... I usually agree with your posts...

... but if we are talking about sticking Flint up front I'll see you at Colchester next season.

Those are my thoughts, too. Nogbad's a pretty sensible chap usually, but this is one of his more eccentric ideas. Maybe he'd had a few sherbets and got carried away for a moment. 

Stats don't always tell the full story. A centre half scoring 14 or 15 in a season, predominantly from corners and free kicks, in L1, for a rampaging team that is dominating their league, is one thing. Operating as a full-time centre forward in open play against Championship defences, which involves rather more than just winning headers from set pieces? I don't think so...

15 minutes ago, 29AR said:

I don't believe so. What he's done now is a bit like a secondment, Wigan are still his registered club and still his employers, he's just been 'temporarily' transferred to us. We can sign him, or anyone else outside of a transfer window, but it's only during a transfer window that the FA can ratify it. So if we did the deal tomorrow I am fairly certain he'd still be a Wigan player on loan to us until the Summer at which point the deal would complete.

5 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

No, any permanent deal has to be registered by 11pm today or he remains a loan player this season.

Fair enough chaps, I stand corrected

58 minutes ago, Tomarse said:

Couldn't agree more.

If nothing else it buys us time, as the loan window will re-open in a week or so and we don't need to panic and tie everything up by 11pm today.

10 minutes ago, CliftonCliff said:

Those are my thoughts, too. Nogbad's a pretty sensible chap usually, but this is one of his more eccentric ideas. Maybe he'd had a few sherbets and got carried away for a moment. 

Stats don't always tell the full story. A centre half scoring 14 or 15 in a season, predominantly from corners and free kicks, in L1, for a rampaging team that is dominating their league, is one thing. Operating as a full-time centre forward in open play against Championship defences, which involves rather more than just winning headers from set pieces? I don't think so...

In fairness to @Nogbad the Bad, I believe he is still going through the grieving process post Cotts. He did love Cotts and why not? Last season was a bit special. 

I think Nogbad is still "angry" and also in the "denial" stage too. Expect to see more uncharacteristic thoughts and ideas, amongst the usual sensible ones, before he moves on to "depression" about late April/ May, skipping the "bargaining" stage. Cos SC isn't coming back.

Hopefully "acceptance" (and "euphoria") will come very soon, ideally in late April/May instead of "depression" but I wouldn't bank on it

9 hours ago, Superjack said:

I'll tell you what Noggers...

... I usually agree with your posts...

... but if we are talking about sticking Flint up front I'll see you at Colchester next season.

13 minutes ago, CliftonCliff said:

I did say' if all else fails, as a last resort'...... and as I pointed out subsequently Flint actually scored 2 more League goals than Matt Smith last season, many from similar situations to the majority of Smith's. Smith did score a magnificent volley, but did AF not also score a curling left foot volley from the edge of the box in one game last season, as cleanly hit and accurate a 'strikers' goal as you're ever likely to see?

Statistics may be misleading but as far as the effectiveness of strikers is concerned we do tend to judge them predominantly on how many times they bulge the net, and rightly so, that's why they are so keenly sought and highly valued.

I'll take being called eccentric on this one though, always considered the description as something of a compliment, and imo. it's no bad thing to think unconventionally now and again.

Anyway, very confident we'll sign someone today and my last resort suggestion - barmy as it may be - won't be necessary.

Even if we fail to sign someone Pemberton doesn't strike me as being an eccentric, so don't worry chaps this preposterous suggestion is never likely to happen.

Archived