IGNORED

ALL Rumours for January Transfer window (Merged)

fly in the air

For a few on here that know L2 better than me -

Id be interested what they think of Kyle Bennett at Portsmouth.

An undistinguished career to date - But Always impressed and stands out when I've seen anything of Pompey

Attacking athletic midfielder with an eye for goal

Nothing to suggest he's on our radar but one I'd like to see assessed ?

(Brother of Elliot Bennett)

Any views on him from those that know / see much of L2 ?

I respect the views of both posters, but I think Esmond is right to take Noggers up on this notion that "there's a whole world of footballers out there" for us to plunder. As Nogbad says himself, we have a team of people to research this and to judge from the arrivals of Gladwin, Pearce, Tomlin and Golbourne in a short space of time, they haven't exactly been sitting on their arses doing nothing, so if they can't identify a better option than Smith at this moment in time, it may just be the case that there isn't one. They have been working on this all through the transfer window (and before that), we are utterly desperate for a centre forward, having none other than Wilbs, and whilst I understand perfectly the general tendency towards underwhelmedness at the prospect, it could nevertheless be argued, with a day left to do business, that we would be daft NOT to sign him, if he's available, which seems by no means certain.

No sensible fan would expect Smith to repeat the scoring exploits of his previous spell, but his physical presence may just help to afford greater opportunities to others. And on that point, if City need a "sniffer" who feeds off scraps and scores the scruffy tap-ins that we're not getting at the moment, they had better start giving Agard more time on the pitch, because he' s the nearest thing we've got to a poacher and whilst, like Smith, he may fall well short of what we'd like, the reality is he's all we have. As an example of what I'm talking about, I'd cite our second goal at West Brom, when their keeper parried Freeman's shot and Agard pounced. Whatever, his limitations, he's the only striker currently in the squad I' d back to do that sort of thing with any regularity, because on present evidence I'm afraid Kodjia won't.

12 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

For a few on here that know L2 better than me -

Id be interested what they think of Kyle Bennett at Portsmouth.

An undistinguished career to date - But Always impressed and stands out when I've seen anything of Pompey

Attacking athletic midfielder with an eye for goal

Nothing to suggest he's on our radar but one I'd like to see assessed ?

(Brother of Elliot Bennett)

Any views on him from those that know / see much of L2 ?

Talking of Pompey players if we're after a striker for the future it'd be worth investing in young Conor Chaplin. Mentioned his name last season and now he's really broken onto the scene.

14 hours ago, CITYAREREDANDWHITE said:

4 hours ago, Esmond Million's Bung said:

Sadly we have 16 games left to save our championship status, we just do not have the time to bed in foreign players (for what's left of this season anyway) or lower league players, that is the reality of our situation, I don't agree with your figures but even assuming that they are correct it would be an incredibly small price to pay if he can score some goals and more importantly make goals for others to help us stay in the championship, available good strikers are rare like rocking horse shit and even more so at this time of year, we have long been down the route of signing strikers who were either good once or almost always injured, let's sign one that we know all about.

I doubt my figures are too far out, though the fee may be more of course. ;)

I'd reiterate that since MS was here we now have a different manager, we're in different (higher) division, his old chance producing strike partner has left, and the dynamics and personnel in the team, and dressing room, are markedly altered. So however well he fitted in before, that may not be the case now.

We know it's likely he'd take a number of games to get his fitness up, and as you say those games are running out.

Anyway, I see despite my best efforts you remain firmly in favour of signing him. I can see the obvious potential merits to the end of this season, but I'm not convinced of the overall value, particularly going forward.

Fair enough, let's see what happens, and be ready get fully behind whoever comes in.

2 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Rhodes to Boro is apparently off.

This will have a huge impact on a number of deals that depended on it, let's hope we have a Plan B tomorrow if Matt Smith to us is one of them?

Lafferty Graham ?

Wish we'd snapped up,Wells at the end of summer as a stop gap - up with JK on goals now ?

1 hour ago, CliftonCliff said:

I respect the views of both posters, but I think Esmond is right to take Noggers up on this notion that "there's a whole world of footballers out there" for us to plunder. As Nogbad says himself, we have a team of people to research this and to judge from the arrivals of Gladwin, Pearce, Tomlin and Golbourne in a short space of time, they haven't exactly been sitting on their arses doing nothing, so if they can't identify a better option than Smith at this moment in time, it may just be the case that there isn't one. They have been working on this all through the transfer window (and before that), we are utterly desperate for a centre forward, having none other than Wilbs, and whilst I understand perfectly the general tendency towards underwhelmedness at the prospect, it could nevertheless be argued, with a day left to do business, that we would be daft NOT to sign him, if he's available, which seems by no means certain.

No sensible fan would expect Smith to repeat the scoring exploits of his previous spell, but his physical presence may just help to afford greater opportunities to others. And on that point, if City need a "sniffer" who feeds off scraps and scores the scruffy tap-ins that we're not getting at the moment, they had better start giving Agard more time on the pitch, because he' s the nearest thing we've got to a poacher and whilst, like Smith, he may fall well short of what we'd like, the reality is he's all we have. As an example of what I'm talking about, I'd cite our second goal at West Brom, when their keeper parried Freeman's shot and Agard pounced. Whatever, his limitations, he's the only striker currently in the squad I' d back to do that sort of thing with any regularity, because on present evidence I'm afraid Kodjia won't.

To be fair to myself Cliff, I did say that if City have explored all the options, and, after taking into account wages and likely effect on our relegation battle, still consider Matt Smith to be top of their list, then so be it.

I hope I've also made it clear that if that's the case, then I'd support that decision, and the player.

We may be 'utterly desperate for a forward' as you say, but if we're willing to pay through the nose - as surely Fulham would ensure we did - then the field of choice surely broadens.

After all if Smith proves unattainable I've no doubt someone will still be signed at the last minute, whether originally first choice or sixth, and as with MS they may or may not hit the ground running and have the desired effect.

We have been told City now have a scouting network in Spain and France, so it's inconceivable we haven't noted a few likely lads in these countries, perhaps even reasonably established and very exciting ones. Could City get better value there if the cupboard appears so bare in the FL that those of us on this forum can probably name the majority of the (few) players City might be considering?

If all else fails, as a last resort, perhaps we could look left - field and bring in Pearce to partner Baker and stick Flint up front, certainly when we're chasing a game. He would have many (though, admittedly not all) the attributes MS would bring to that position if we're looking for a mountainous battering ram to soften up the opposition defence, put them in disarray, and provide loose balls for the likes of Agard - or a newly signed chance taker - to pounce on.

I fully expect he'd power home a few headers himself too.

Flint and MS took up many similar positions at set pieces etc. while Smith was here and Flint's goal ratio decreased in that period as he gradually and temporarily took a less prominent role in the opposition box during MS's stay. 

1 minute ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Lafferty Graham ?

Wish we'd snapped up,Wells at the end of summer as a stop gap - up with JK on goals now ?

I was told that Kyle Lafferty told us he wasn't interested in joining us the first week that Pemberton was in charge.

No idea where this leaves us, some of those suggested, (Bradshaw, Ajose etc) are no more proven than Agard at this level.

Like the idea of making O'Donnell permanent tomorrow to at least give us another loan option in a week or so.

6 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

I was told that Kyle Lafferty told us he wasn't interested in joining us the first week that Pemberton was in charge.

No idea where this leaves us, some of those suggested, (Bradshaw, Ajose etc) are no more proven than Agard at this level.

Like the idea of making O'Donnell permanent tomorrow to at least give us another loan option in a week or so.

Ahh ok ta - does make sense re Lafferty - can't believe we've not enquirer or considered him

Hopefully his options are limited and it becomes a neccessary marriage !

Agree with O'Donnell totally

11 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

We've very little to lose getting O'Donnell in on a real deal, if that option exists; we already needed another senior keeper and he's slotted in very well.

I'm also going to put it out there and say that if we did free up that loan space, and nothing happens with him to find a Premier League side, then I wonder how realistic it would be to go back for Gayle?

My reasoning would be that he's previously played and performed at this level along side Tomlin and Little, and what with the sides apparently interested in him previously (Nowich were named) having gone out and bought strikers, and Palace having taken a punt on Adebyor (plus with Gayle having played just 13 mins since October) then what would he have to lose dropping down a level for six months to a club where he'd inevitably be first choice?

Might be others interested, but I doubt at the top level, and he's basically wasting a season sitting on the bench for Palace.  Would be a bold move, but come here and perform, and next summer he's probably going to find a suitor higher up this league or in the Prem.

It wouldn't hurt that he's also already scored a hattrick against Charlton back in the league cup; could do with that next weekend...

38 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Lafferty Graham ?

Both would be far worse financially for us than Smith, as for Graham in particularly what exactly has he done over the past 3/4 years apart from becoming richer?.

As for the long term implications as far as one player is concerned I believe them to be immaterial compared to the unthinkable i.e. relegation.

1 minute ago, Esmond Million's Bung said:

Both would be far worse financially for us than Smith, as for Graham in particularly what exactly has he done over the past 3/4 years apart from becoming richer?.

As for the long term implications as far as one player is concerned I believe them to be immaterial compared to the unthinkable i.e. relegation.

Lafferty would only ever be a loan 

What's the difference between Agard and Ajose/Winnall? Agard has a great league 1 record but has been below par in this division. Sign O'Donnell now and find a good loan Lafferty or a prem youngster. The main thing is buying a top level striker in the summer. Kodjia is still a lot better than people give him credit for. Look at the players in this division he's scored more than. 

49 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

If true regarding Lafferty, then that's a real shame Graham. I personally think he would have been ideal and I would have had him over Smith given the choice. As you say though, unsure where this would potentially leave us. It's clear we are desperate for a striker but the likes of Bradshaw are no more proven than the likes of Agard.

I have said all window that Darren Bent is exactly the type of player we're missing. Those chances we missed or didn't get to about 6 yards out is exactly where Bent thrives. A poacher is what we need. I love Matt Smith after last year but given a choice of him or Bent it's a no brainer. If I'm fantasising about tomorrow's deadline day dealings with a sense of some realism I sign O'Donnell for next to nothing ASAP in the morning and sign Bent on loan until the end of the season early evening.

A man can dream!

50 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Well with Bamford now going to Norwich hopefully Lafferty will reconsider...

Hopefully we have already reconsidered and are looking elsewhere.

48 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Lafferty would only ever be a loan 

An expensive loan with a player who allegedly doesn't really want to come here, only wants to get fit for the Euro's, bearing in mind with the lack of choice he is definitely already in the squad anyway and is hardly going to be fully committed in case he get's injured and misses the Euros.

it's a no for me in our current position, we need fully committed players.

4 minutes ago, ciderbeans said:

serge gnabry on loan from Arsenal anyone? Charlton supposedly in for him. Lower prem standard player

I'd take him in a heartbeat; looks like an excellent prospect.

Would be great competition for Smith and Pack, which really isn't something we currently have, leaving us an injury away from a problem.

2 hours ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

To be fair to myself Cliff, I did say that if City have explored all the options, and, after taking into account wages and likely effect on our relegation battle, still consider Matt Smith to be top of their list, then so be it.

I hope I've also made it clear that if that's the case, then I'd support that decision, and the player.

We may be 'utterly desperate for a forward' as you say, but if we're willing to pay through the nose - as surely Fulham would ensure we did - then the field of choice surely broadens.

After all if Smith proves unattainable I've no doubt someone will still be signed at the last minute, whether originally first choice or sixth, and as with MS they may or may not hit the ground running and have the desired effect.

We have been told City now have a scouting network in Spain and France, so it's inconceivable we haven't noted a few likely lads in these countries, perhaps even reasonably established and very exciting ones. Could City get better value there if the cupboard appears so bare in the FL that those of us on this forum can probably name the majority of the (few) players City might be considering?

If all else fails, as a last resort, perhaps we could look left - field and bring in Pearce to partner Baker and stick Flint up front, certainly when we're chasing a game. He would have many (though, admittedly not all) the attributes MS would bring to that position if we're looking for a mountainous battering ram to soften up the opposition defence, put them in disarray, and provide loose balls for the likes of Agard - or a newly signed chance taker - to pounce on.

I fully expect he'd power home a few headers himself too.

Flint and MS took up many similar positions at set pieces etc. while Smith was here and Flint's goal ratio decreased in that period as he gradually and temporarily took a less prominent role in the opposition box during MS's stay. 

All fair points, Noggers, and I don't dispute anything you've said (although I might be a tad sceptical about the 'Flint as an emergency striker' strategy). With 24 hours left to deadline, I'm more preoccupied with the short term and as every hour ticks by I increasingly feel they can sign bloody Donald Duck for all I care as long as they get somebody in and he can score the odd goal, as current evidence suggest that without another striker we will be relegated.

Otherwise, for all our tidy play in possession and the plaudits from rival managers who say we're in a 'false position', we've still got ten outfield players out there who couldn't hit the proverbial cow's arse with a spade. Desperate situations require desperate measures. I'll worry about the long term implications when we're still in the Championship come May.

7 minutes ago, samo II said:

Would be great competition for Smith and Pack, which really isn't something we currently have, leaving us an injury away from a problem.

Coquelin went on loan to Charlton then went back to Arsenal and became a valuable player for them. That and the fact it's in London doesn't give us much chance of getting him over them to be honest.

1 hour ago, billywedlock said:

With the Rhodes deal off, then maybe that stops a train of other deals. There was me thinking and saying only City agreed a fee for the deal to fall down on finances. Its very strange as Boro have every chance of going up, but have a 15M wage bill not a parachute payment one. Anyway. Where we get a striker from is still a huge mystery, and personally whilst I like Smith (he proved me wrong) I do not think he is all we need, assuming we don't see Agard as up to the job , and Wilbs in his last season. IMHO we need two in, and we have no loan spots as such unless, as someone suggests, we sign on a perm the keeper. Yesterday was the continued confirmation that we are missing goalscorers , and Jan is not the time to be solving that expensive problem. Fingers crossed for some magic.

I think that could be a good signing, it frees up a loan spot (so I understand , not 100% sure) , would then give us 2 options of how to get someone in. I know Pembo/Ashton said they're looking for a permanent signing but I would rule anything out.

20 minutes ago, samo II said:

He's a winger Gnabry. Couldn't play centrally. 

Archived