IGNORED

Zach clough

Cobby the red

3 minutes ago, old_eastender said:

I am the only one not excited by the potential signing of Zach Clough, he has only scored 3 in 13 starts for Bolton this season, that hardly sounds like a lethal striker, worse than 1 in 4 ratio. 3m on this kid who seems to have made it clear he doesn't really want to leave Bolton, seems doubtful use of our funds to me.

Have you ever seen him play? He's only played 20 senior games but had two shoulder injuries. He's not a striker really either, plays slightly deeper. More like a number 10. He's an incredible talent and would be a major coup. A real improvement on what we have.

3 minutes ago, old_eastender said:

I am the only one not excited by the potential signing of Zach Clough, he has only scored 3 in 13 starts for Bolton this season, that hardly sounds like a lethal striker, worse than 1 in 4 ratio. 3m on this kid who seems to have made it clear he doesn't really want to leave Bolton, seems doubtful use of our funds to me.

Don't forget he's only 20 and Bolton have been extremely poor this season. I had a look on Bolton's message boards yesterday and most of their fans seem to see his impending departure as a harbinger of doom. That's good enough for me.

Re the fact he doesn't want to leave. That may be so but it comes down to how well we can sell the club and make him good about the move. By all accounts, the one big thing we have going for is is a really good atmosphere in the dressing room so hopefully that'll help him feel comfortable.

3 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Have you ever seen him play? He's only played 20 senior games but had two shoulder injuries. He's not a striker really either, plays slightly deeper. More like a number 10. He's an incredible talent and would be a major coup. A real improvement on what we have.

I'll admit I know nothing of him apart from the hype.  Your description makes him sound more of Freeman role kind of player than an out and out striker.  Will be interesting as to how we play him should he sign.

3 minutes ago, LondonBristolian said:

Don't forget he's only 20 and Bolton have been extremely poor this season. I had a look on Bolton's message boards yesterday and most of their fans seem to see his impending departure as a harbinger of doom. That's good enough for me.

Re the fact he doesn't want to leave. That may be so but it comes down to how well we can sell the club and make him good about the move. By all accounts, the one big thing we have going for is is a really good atmosphere in the dressing room so hopefully that'll help him feel comfortable.

I'll sell the club, look at what is being developed oh and Steve Lansdown has more money than we could spend in a lifetime. 

7 minutes ago, EmersonsKev said:

I'll admit I know nothing of him apart from the hype.  Your description makes him sound more of Freeman role kind of player than an out and out striker.  Will be interesting as to how we play him should he sign.

I'd say he's more like a Rooney/Bergkamp type. Plays just off the striker and drops deeper. He's creative and has good vision and awareness. He's what David Noble should have been but with the dribbling skills of Kodjia. He's only 5ft 7' or something but exceptionally agile.

10 minutes ago, EmersonsKev said:

Although I could see us playing him up top, when I've seen him, he's certainly played more of that type of role; dropping back to pick up the ball and make things happen, then driving forwards with the play.

For a small lad he has a lot of 'hustle', and goes toe-to-toe with defenders, as well as having a turn of pace.  His energy is what always marked him out of me.

I think he'd improve us, and I also think that he young enough to improve, which when you consider he's looked very much at home in the Championship, is promising.

1 minute ago, JoeAman08 said:

Well I'm certainly not putting the pressure of savior on the lad. He's a good player but he is far from a finished product. He should give us an extra option and that can only help. His real value would be if we stay up and can add more to the squad. 

Slightly off topic, but I hope your young lad and mum enjoyed their day at WBA yesterday Joe.

9 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Huddersfield. Made an inquiry for Zach Clough at Bolton last week. Won't match Bristol City offer.

Latest from Alan Nixon on Twitter. Good news, rumblings from Sky that it's happening too.

Sky seem to be very certain this is going to go through. Looks promising , but let's see if we can get it over the line !

16 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Huddersfield. Made an inquiry for Zach Clough at Bolton last week. Won't match Bristol City offer.

Latest from Alan Nixon on Twitter. Good news, rumblings from Sky that it's happening too.

Huddlesfield is no more a side move than us. Though he could stay a lot more local. 

27 minutes ago, JoeAman08 said:

Well I'm certainly not putting the pressure of savior on the lad. He's a good player but he is far from a finished product. He should give us an extra option and that can only help. His real value would be if we stay up and can add more to the squad. 

His arrival would be another piece of the jigsaw in place. Football is a team/squad game and no one player at our level will be so good that one individual and only that one can totally put our season right.

1 hour ago, old_eastender said:

It's  definitely a gamble to spend £2-3m on a player who has started only 20 games, but it's the sort of gamble City has got to take. Arsene Wenger used to be good at finding young players who developed into stars, so perhaps (hopefully) City are doing the same. Clough + Kodjia + Garita. 

Cotts likes to sign players and play them in a slightly different role so perhaps Clough will play as an attacking midfield player. I don't think he will partner Kodjia up front as he's only 5' 7" tall and Cotts has said he's looking for a younger version of Wlbraham  

Well looking at Sky Bet, we've slightly dropped out to 11/10 (still favourites), Everton are 3/1 (2nd favs) & Sheffield Wednesday have dropped out to 4/1 (3rd favourites).

City were odds on yesterday, Evertons price hasn't changed & Sheffield Wednesday have dropped out a point.

Make of that what you will.

2 hours ago, old_eastender said:

Soccer base says 9 goals in 20 starts. 

8 goals in 17 league starts. 

20 years old, England youth level caps and highly rated by almost everyone who knows anything about him. 

I'd have to disagree with you..! 

Archived