IGNORED

Zach clough

Cobby the red

8 minutes ago, MarkRed! said:

We make a fuss about our transfer dealings (or lack of them) and then one comes completely from left field. I doubt Clough will agree to join BCFC I am afraid. I have seen posts from Bolton fans saying he has already turned it down and has been told to think it over. That is more humiliation for the club.....

What I don't get is this - if I were interested in a player I would speak to his agent and sound him out. Although this is probably called tapping up - lets face it, it is done. Thus, if we have no idea if he will come or not, we might as well bid 100m. Seems an utterly ridiculous approach if it is true and the player already has indicated no. I feel sorry for SC.

Read into it on Twitter this morning and it feels more like wishful thinking from BWFC fans. Info from reputable/reliable sources on Twitter indicates these facts.

1) at this stage only we have made a bid

2) Bolton NEED to sell asap and our offer is acceptable 

3) he's going to speak to us

Can't ask for much more than that. Would be a real coup, just hope we can sell him the vision before Wolves get some cash for Afobe.

3 minutes ago, 'keepuplino' said:

What are you babbling on about?

We are bidding for players who aint coming to BCFC...thus, at some stage we need to realise what pull the club has. Watch what happens in the next few days.  We could bid 200 million for Messi - he aint coming to BCFC.

We have unrealistic transfer prospects I am afraid. You cant blame the manager when players then politely decline. BWFC may feel that have to sell Clough but he don't have to move as he is contracted. If they go into administration and he is not paid, he can walk away for nought....

9 minutes ago, cityloyal473 said:

Why?  Regardless of whatever approach is made to a player, it should be down to SC to sell the club to them. if a payer doesn't want to come here it says more about SC than it does the club IMHO.

The only really pull we could have is if we are looking at promotion or within the PL. Vicious circle because we cant get near promotion without the players. I have some sympathy for SC.

1 hour ago, 29AR said:

I can guess that he'll leave too. Doesn't make me 'right'. We've heard the Bolton coach chat before in the summer, when he was off the mark. 

Him saying he's coming is more of a death knell than otherwise. 

I think he used to work for Michael Bolton mate, so he's only half over-egging it

19 minutes ago, LoyalRed said:

One big signing and some results on the pitch and then others will follow, problem is getting that first big signing 

2 or 3 decent signings, a mid table finish and they will come flocking in the summer, especially with the stadium looking all new and shiny. This is the most important January transfer window since I've been supporting City (maybe along side the GJ January transfer window where we should have gone all out). 

1 minute ago, bristolcitysweden said:

Think Alan Dixon (The Sun) teeted he was reluctant to join us and he is usually right

Actually he is usually wrong...just occasionally he is right, I'm far from convinced he knows that much more than the average joe.

remember when he said lingaard was looking like he WAs going to sign for us?

3 minutes ago, Jesus said:

2 or 3 decent signings, a mid table finish and they will come flocking in the summer, especially with the stadium looking all new and shiny. This is the most important January transfer window since I've been supporting City (maybe along side the GJ January transfer window where we should have gone all out). 

I agree the stadium will certainly help, but we need to be careful not to overstate its impact. I don't think for one minute they'll "come flocking". There are a lot of good grounds at this level. MK Dons have one of the better new grounds but it doesn't mean they get the better players - there are a lot of factors to consider.

9 minutes ago, 'keepuplino' said:

You just said we shouldn't be going for big signings?

I didn't say that - what I said is that before we make fools of ourselves in bidding for players we should have some certainty that the players will come to BCFC - hence, liaison with the agents.

Kermongant is the big signing for me if that one is true because he has played at a higher level and he is reportedly receptive to joining. 

TBH - time will tell on Clough.

1 minute ago, MarkRed! said:

I didn't say that - what I said is that before we make fools of ourselves in bidding for players we should have some certainty that the players will come to BCFC - hence, liaison with the agents.

Kermongant is the big signing for me if that one is true because he has played at a higher level and he is reportedly receptive to joining. 

TBH - time will tell on Clough.

Not making fools of ourselves. WE haven't said a "dickybird" ,it's come from outside sources (agents ?) .

12 minutes ago, Robbored said:

The question should is why would he be keen?

We are a struggling Championship side - what quality player would want to sign for us?

One that's not quite good enough for a regular spot in Wolves' first X1 and more than good enough for ours. One that can see playing every week - for a club with no crippling debt - is a good way to making the next step up to wherever he really wants to be. That might be this lad or someone else.

It feels like the club are getting there, slowly, moving in the right direction, after going for a 26 year old last summer who scores goals in the Prem.

1 hour ago, LondonBristolian said:

Sorry - that was my point as well.  That anyone can make a pretty safe educated guess here and then claim to be ITK if it comes off.  FWIW, I've got a contact with the one of the directors at Wolves.  They've not made a bid yet but Kenny Jackett's meeting with the responsible executives for recruitment to decide whether to hold out for their preferred strike target and risk losing Clough or to bid for Clough now and have done with it.

Jackett was sacked a few weeks ago?

Sorry, but he wasn't. My mistake.

2 minutes ago, slartibartfast said:

Not making fools of ourselves. WE haven't said a "dickybird" ,it's come from outside sources (agents ?) .

To be fair, your right there, I suspect leaked by the agent to flush out other bidders because Everton and Watford were also reportedly keen on Clough.....its like getting blood out of a stone with the club. The point really is us bidding for players who are well out of our reach and I would respectfully say are not realistic transfer prospects for BCFC.

1 hour ago, MarkRed! said:

We make a fuss about our transfer dealings (or lack of them) and then one comes completely from left field. I doubt Clough will agree to join BCFC I am afraid. I have seen posts from Bolton fans saying he has already turned it down and has been told to think it over. That is more humiliation for the club.....

What I don't get is this - if I were interested in a player I would speak to his agent and sound him out. Although this is probably called tapping up - lets face it, it is done. Thus, if we have no idea if he will come or not, we might as well bid 100m. Seems an utterly ridiculous approach if it is true and the player already has indicated no. I feel sorry for SC.

We can only find out if a player will come , is by making a bid (unless we go around and have sneaky meetings in pubs like Mr. Cole and Chelsea).

3 minutes ago, MarkRed! said:

To be fair, your right there, I suspect leaked by the agent to flush out other bidders because Everton and Watford were also reportedly keen on Clough.....its like getting blood out of a stone with the club. The point really is us bidding for players who are well out of our reach and I would respectfully say are not realistic transfer prospects for BCFC.

I was going to say, as far as I can see , before our bid no one else was in for him. Why not bid on good/quality players? Who would have thought Stoke would have Bojan,Arnautović and Shaqiri ? Absolute quality sigings, if you don't ask  .........

Thought occurs....

Bolton need cash, if they don't get cash they risk going in to administration and having 10 points deducted.

A 10 point deduction would all but confirm their relegation.

Would there not be something weird if our bid was accepted, we signed the player, Bolton avoided administration and relegation and then finished a point above us, sending us down?

Whilst I am normally in the 'why waste time bidding for players who will not be interested' camp, think this one was well worth a punt.

Bolton are desperate. Frankly, so are we - which is why we appear to to have matched their asking price. Why not go for it! Hopefully the discussions about players other than forwards are happening much more quietly...

11 minutes ago, Bristol Rob said:

Thought occurs....

Bolton need cash, if they don't get cash they risk going in to administration and having 10 points deducted.

A 10 point deduction would all but confirm their relegation.

Would there not be something weird if our bid was accepted, we signed the player, Bolton avoided administration and relegation and then finished a point above us, sending us down?

No. There's still plenty of other teams in threat of relegation and our priority should be trying to pull ourselves away than condemn another. Besides, if the money is earmarked to pay off HMRC their squad is depleted nonetheless  

HMRC are not their only creditor too. 

Archived