IGNORED

Zach clough

Cobby the red

2 minutes ago, daored said:

I think Kernorgant will be signed this month, whether that's on loan or a permanent transfer. Personally think this was all done in the summer but tine ran out. 

Personally even we sign Cough and judging by what Bolton's financial position is a real possibility I would still look to sign Nichols, even loan him back to Exeter tie the season?

This is certainly not the worst suggestion, though I do thin the business we do just now does need to be focused on helping us immediately.

If Clough is unwilling to move, I'd be more that happy if we went for Nichols, baring in mind the fact it is a gamble.

4 minutes ago, Nomad said:

I think this is unlikely to happen but wouldn't it be great! #fingerscrossed

The big thing with this transfer is Bolton's financial pressure and the deadline they have to pay a tax bill. If in there position would you not sell to the highest bidder? Admittedly, the player has to agree but by what I read he's a Bolton lad and possibly a fan, that may play to our advantage, as whilst he may initially be reluctant, would he be prepared to make the transfer for the greater benefit benefit a club he supports? If he wasn't a Bolton lad from their youth set up then I would have slightly more reservations

2 minutes ago, samo II said:

This is certainly not the worst suggestion, though I do thin the business we do just now does need to be focused on helping us immediately.

If Clough is unwilling to move, I'd be more that happy if we went for Nichols, baring in mind the fact it is a gamble.

Agree the priority is this season, but how much would Nichols cost? It may be worthwhile getting the lad signed, potentially loan him back. Player for the future, playing weekly and then bring him into first team over the next season. I think we can't afford to gamble too much this window on untested players at the minute, but would certainly show a level of intention going forward

3 hours ago, cottsciderarmy said:

Zach Clough not in squad for Eastleigh, something happening, but possibly not with us. I used to work for Bolton and have asked a mate who still coaches there, he tells me Zach was not in training on Friday and will leave the club before Tuesday.

Why do you persist knowing that no-one will believe a word you spout? You are a very sad chap/chapess. 

11 minutes ago, LondonBristolian said:

Reading between the lines, it seems there's one massive positive and one massive negative.  The massive positive is he's out the FA cup squad tomorrow which clearly means Bolton expect him to be negotiating with someone.  The massive negative is that the fact this news has leaked strongly suggests - as with Gayle and Gray - his agent wants to alert other clubs.

My guess is, at the moment, we are the only offer on the table but the agent is alerting other clubs to try and get them to match it.  It all comes down to whether other interested parties want to spend the money now or hold out for other targets later in the window.

City should be making a cut off the Agent's fee; after all our club have upped the price in the first place.. happening too often now not to make a dime or two there! :whistle:

3 minutes ago, LondonBristolian said:

To be fair to him, I'm pretty sure he's dead right on this.  Clough will leave Bolton next week.  I'm not ITK at all but you don't need to be to read between the lines on that one.

Well that's the point, he's just stating the obvious.

13 minutes ago, samo II said:

Yes, he is.

But if we are then relegated he is exactly the sort of player we need, some league experience, local to us, well within our wage structure and highly likely to want to stick around in League One.

Clearly Clough is our target and even though Bolton clearly need to sell quickly to avoid administration, he may want to move nearer to home or to a "bigger" club if he can.

I still think we're in with a chance, Wolves may need the Afobe money to buy him and they won't have that by Tuesday. We must be the only ones in the game who can deliver the cash on time, Bolton will be pressing him to agree terms with us with the threat of the club going into administration next week if he doesn't.

3 minutes ago, LondonBristolian said:

To be fair to him, I'm pretty sure he's dead right on this.  Clough will leave Bolton next week.  I'm not ITK at all but you don't need to be to read between the lines on that one.

I can guess that he'll leave too. Doesn't make me 'right'. We've heard the Bolton coach chat before in the summer, when he was off the mark. 

Him saying he's coming is more of a death knell than otherwise. 

6 minutes ago, Londoner said:

Well that's the point, he's just stating the obvious.

Sorry - that was my point as well.  That anyone can make a pretty safe educated guess here and then claim to be ITK if it comes off.  FWIW, I've got a contact with the one of the directors at Wolves.  They've not made a bid yet but Kenny Jackett's meeting with the responsible executives for recruitment to decide whether to hold out for their preferred strike target and risk losing Clough or to bid for Clough now and have done with it.

Just now, LondonBristolian said:

Sorry - that was my point as well.  That anyone can make a pretty safe educated guess here and then claim to be ITK if it comes off.  FWIW, I've got a contact with the one of the directors at Wolves.  They've not made a bid yet and Kenny Jackett's meeting with the responsible executives for recruitment to decide whether to hold out for their preferred strike target and risk losing Clough or to bid for Clough now nad have done with it.

And I've got a contact within the Russian mafia, apparently we are negotiating bringing Kanchelskis over here.

Just now, CotswoldRed said:

Trains? Temple meads? Where's Lansdown's chopper? 

If Lansdown's got any sense, he'll bribe the pilot to keep Clough away from the Hawthorns this afternoon.  The last thing we need is for him to see his potential new teammates in action until he's put pen to paper and can no longer change his mind!

18 minutes ago, ashton_fan said:

I still think we're in with a chance, Wolves may need the Afobe money to buy him and they won't have that by Tuesday. We must be the only ones in the game who can deliver the cash on time, Bolton will be pressing him to agree terms with us with the threat of the club going into administration next week if he doesn't.

And Palace were pushing for Gale to sign, how did that work out ?:grr:

Just now, CotswoldRed said:

Trains? Temple meads? Where's Lansdown's chopper? 

Oh dear this will only go one way now :whistle:

We all know this is gonna come do win to wages. There will be a clause in his contract should he sign about leaving for a certain fee, probably for what we pay, should we be relegated so that won't be an issue as far as I can see. 

Let's face it, I don't think Clough grew up dreaming of the day he would join Bristol City! So we make an offer he can't refuse. That may mean breaking the wage cap which if we want to progress and challenge will have to happen sooner or later. Why not make that the case with a 20 year old striker who not only could help us now but a season or two scoring goals could see a massive profit in the future?

4 minutes ago, formerly known as ivan said:

Let's face it, I don't think Clough grew up dreaming of the day he would join Bristol City! So we make an offer he can't refuse.

You thinking like a horses head on the pillow kind of thing?

Not sure where we could get a horse but donkeys are in no short supply at BS3!

25 minutes ago, daored said:

Agree the priority is this season, but how much would Nichols cost? It may be worthwhile getting the lad signed, potentially loan him back. Player for the future, playing weekly and then bring him into first team over the next season. I think we can't afford to gamble too much this window on untested players at the minute, but would certainly show a level of intention going forward

I don't disagree at all; even though his value is likely growing, being he's already scored 10 this season after grabbing 15 in 39 last time out, and his appearance on telly may have added to that (as it tends to do), I cannot see him being a bank-breaking signing.

Is a local-ish lad, and so all this 'will-he-won't-he' with the likes of Clough due to our geography might be less of an issue, and as mentioned; I think Exeter do a bang up job of schooling their young pros. 

13 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Yes, he is.

But if we are then relegated he is exactly the sort of player we need, some league experience, local to us, well within our wage structure and highly likely to want to stick around in League One.

Clearly Clough is our target and even though Bolton clearly need to sell quickly to avoid administration, he may want to move nearer to home or to a "bigger" club if he can.

Again; I wholeheartedly agree.

Last season in January, as people were discussing the likes of Freddie Sears as targets, I felt we would have been in the perfect situation to recruit Nicols; we had a team humming along on form, but which had two strikers injured, and we could have seen how the lad did in League One and as part of the set up if we stepped up.

And whether up-or-down in the summer; let's allow the fantasy that we get both Clough and Kergamount this window - that would mean in the summer we'd have Agard, Kodjia, Clough (who I've seen play behind the stikers before too), Burns, Arine (if he's in the 1st team) & Kergamount, presuming Wilbraham's contract isn't renewed, no one else is bought, and we don't buy any more stikers.

Now, three of these (Agard, Kodjia, Kergamount) will be the other side of 26, while Arnie, Burns and Clough would be 22 or under.  Say Clough ends up competing with/sometimes replacing Freeman, adding Nicols to that gives us a potentially very promising front line, with a blend of youth and experience, and if we went down, I'd imagine Kodjia would go anyway.

This is me speculating beyond where I like to (it's Saturday morning; I'm in a good mood), but ultimately; I do think we should be taking gambles on players like Nicols, and buying and lending back (like Spurs did with Ali) would really do us no harm.  And if he came straight in instead; worse things have happened.

We make a fuss about our transfer dealings (or lack of them) and then one comes completely from left field. I doubt Clough will agree to join BCFC I am afraid. I have seen posts from Bolton fans saying he has already turned it down and has been told to think it over. That is more humiliation for the club.....

What I don't get is this - if I were interested in a player I would speak to his agent and sound him out. Although this is probably called tapping up - lets face it, it is done. Thus, if we have no idea if he will come or not, we might as well bid 100m. Seems an utterly ridiculous approach if it is true and the player already has indicated no. I feel sorry for SC.

8 minutes ago, MarkRed! said:

We make a fuss about our transfer dealings (or lack of them) and then one comes completely from left field. I doubt Clough will agree to join BCFC I am afraid. I have seen posts from Bolton fans saying he has already turned it down and has been told to think it over. That is more humiliation for the club.....

What I don't get is this - if I were interested in a player I would speak to his agent and sound him out. Although this is probably called tapping up - lets face it, it is done. Thus, if we have no idea if he will come or not, we might as well bid 100m. Seems an utterly ridiculous approach if it is true and the player already has indicated no. I feel sorry for SC.

What are you babbling on about?

8 minutes ago, MarkRed! said:

Why?  Regardless of whatever approach is made to a player, it should be down to SC to sell the club to them. if a payer doesn't want to come here it says more about SC than it does the club IMHO.

Archived