IGNORED

O Dear. Cotts loses it with our own supporters...

cityexile

12 hours ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Showing his true colours.

Deplorable behaviour for a man in his position especially with a child a foot in front of him.

Agree with others this is surely the beginning of the end. What happens Saturday if we lose and he gets worse stick??

Christ you're right, hadn't thought of that! Maybe he'll kill someone with an axe for absolutely no reason, or drive his car onto the park and mow down innocent supporters as they leave. Sacking him's possibly the only way to prevent an atrocious massacre. KITR deserves a medal for this .

1 hour ago, RalphMilnesLeftFoot said:

And there's the sense of entitlement. 

" Because I pay money to watch us, we should win"

You could almost be talking about Steve Lansdown there. I reckon he just might be thinking something along the lines of, "I pay SC good money to manage the team, I back him* with money for new players, we should have a better team and be winning more." Something like that. I don't think that's too far-fetched.

SL's expectations, if not his sense of entitlement, seem to be higher than yours.

The bids and targets last summer raised expectations and hopes enormously, before they were dashed. If you pump yourself full of something intoxicating - the thought of Dwight Gayle, Andre Gray etc - there's always a comedown when it's gone, dashed, that's what we see now on here, and last night.

I think very few, if any, expected us to "steamroller" this league, that is a nonsense to suggest that (although some got excited and thought we might challenge for promotion. That was when we were bidding millions fir Gayle and Gray) but most had high hopes we would be competitive. I think Steve Lansdown would be one of those. I think if someone had expected 4 wins in 28 that would've been about as daft as anyone thinking we might "steamroller" everyone.

Entitlement? I reckon SL thinks he's "entitled" to better than this mess, and I agree with him

For me the pattern is clear and has been for some time. It started with a terrible pre-season. Letting players go when there were no replacements. Pre-season fixtures that were a waste of time in footballing terms. It continued with trying to make signings that were beyond the capacity of this club (Andre Gray). Next, inevitably, poor results on the pitch, players out of their depth at this level and nobody to replace the injured or out of form. In January, loan players can't wait to leave as soon as possible. Still the fans are loyal. SL has full confidence. Results get worse, players lose their nerve and concede in the last four minutes of the game on four consecutive occasions. Fans become impatient. Things are shouted. Cotterill abuses them back. This is only going to end one way. The sooner the better.

3 minutes ago, Squire Dastardly said:

For me the pattern is clear and has been for some time. It started with a terrible pre-season. Letting players go when there were no replacements. Pre-season fixtures that were a waste of time in footballing terms. It continued with trying to make signings that were beyond the capacity of this club (Andre Gray). Next, inevitably, poor results on the pitch, players out of their depth at this level and nobody to replace the injured or out of form. In January, loan players can't wait to leave as soon as possible. Still the fans are loyal. SL has full confidence. Results get worse, players lose their nerve and concede in the last four minutes of the game on four consecutive occasions. Fans become impatient. Things are shouted. Cotterill abuses them back. This is only going to end one way. The sooner the better.

this sums it up, to say the Bristol City fans haven't been patient is stupid, they have been, until the Charlton match there wasn't one boo, its no surprise after the car crash this season has been that people are angry

Cotterill lost my patience after the Derby game. I personally think he should have left then.

Times ticked on and now we are in no position to sack him. Mid way through the January transfer window and sacking a manager is asking for relegation.

If say he gets sacked, new manager comes in a few days times.

He will have 2/3 weeks to analysis our current players
Decide the best formation for our current squad
Identify the weak spots in our squad
Identify new players to join our squad
Bed the current squad into the new formation and tactics (this is what pre-season is for)

We have no other option but to stick with cotts till the end of season, if we go down we go down but at least the club will be reassured by knowing we still have a manager in charge that can take us straight back up!

I still believe we will stay up, we are only 2 points away from safety. Would love Cotts sacked but the timings gone now, we have to stick by him.

2 hours ago, RalphMilnesLeftFoot said:

And there's the sense of entitlement. 

" Because I pay money to watch us, we should win"

and not,

" I support the team, club etc, I pay my money to do something I enjoy. Part of the fun is turning up to watch a game of football that the team I adore play. However, I have no idea if they will win, lose or draw. Each game is different and it's about the experience rather than feel like I'm 'owed' a win more often than not."

Football is full of ups and downs and we can't and will not win each and every game. 

As said loads of times this season was likely going to be a struggle, but so many are and have refused to accept that, expecting us to steamroller this division too.

Dont get me wrong I'm not saying everything is peachy and all good. However I'm certainly not as panic filled nor as entitled as some of our fans here or at the gate appear to be.

We are as was expected, will we stay up, noidea, but im certainly not going to cling to being an entitled fan because of what happened last year, when it was blindingly obvious we'd struggle this time around. 

If you think our dissatisfaction is to do with any sense of "entitlement" then you have misjudged it completely.  I am more than clever enough to understand that paying money to watch my football team comes with no guarantees that we should win every game.  Entitlement and expectations are two different things.  Are we entitled to win games?  Absolutely not!  Might we reasonably expect to win more than 4 games in 28 having won the league at a canter last season, and had the whole summer to build a squad capable of competing at this level, with the backing of a billionaire owner?  Absolutely!

The current mood on this forum has little to do with entitlement and far more to do with frustration that this club is equipped to achieve far more than it is currently doing, but is failing due to completely avoidable mismanagement on and off the pitch.

Oh, and I think you'll struggle to find anyone who expected us to "steamroller this division".

5 hours ago, Collis1 said:

Oh dear. I think that those defending him need to get their head out the clouds. There is absolutely no excuse for his actions and SC will be waking up this morning regretting it.

We have a situation where a multi millionaire manager has sworn at a fan who presumably spends thousands of pounds a year following the club and is ultimately a paying customer. That in itself is bad enough really.

Its embarrassing, but it also shows to me that his head has gone and is losing control. Why would he react like that if everything was rosey?

WBA had an off day. We have been largely shite all season.

Whilst its honourable to deflect the blame to board, chairman etc I'm afraid we will never be able to prove it so the manager has to take the responsibility. Just part and parcel of football.

If there is any chance of getting Nigel Pearson in we should act now. I'm confident he could get a few players in asap that would give us the best chance of staying up.

Couple of sweeping statements there. Is SC a multi millionaire? Does it matter if he is? Does the fan spend thousands of pounds a year following City? Does it matter?

The more of your stuff I read on here I swear you are the re-incarnation of Red Eye. Until I read the Nigel Pearson comment. He's a multi millionaire, who told a customer who pays thousands of pounds a year to watch his club, to '**** off & die'. But that's ok I guess, as it wasn't SC

I'm not a multi millionaire, unfortunately, and I've told people I work with, who didn't pay thousands of pounds for the enjoyment, to **** off. It's quite cathartic. Then we all put our big boy pants on and get on with it

4 minutes ago, RalphMilnesLeftFoot said:

I dont know how long you have been a fan for, but this is the umpteenth shot ive seen us have at this league. The recruitment snafu isnt what has caused the struggle in the last 20 years or so, barring 1 or 2 exceptions we have continously struggled at this level, yet fans continue to think that we have this 'divine right' to push on and progress.

There's no thought about we are 'Little Bristol City'. I'm taking the rough with the smooth rather than crowing about having 'little man syndrome' that we seem to of inherited from the Play Off Final defeat. The amount of bitterness and frustration and prevailing attitude that we are 'better' than this league, is disgusting and is what is causing alot of the infighting and sniping now.

We arent 'better' and winning the league below doesnt give us any rights in this league, we have to prove that on the pitch and we arent doing so currently. As has been the case before it will change and we will either get better or get worse. can only beat what is in front of you and some times that happens more often than not.

As long as we have a club to support, then I will do that whatever league we are in. I dont love the club because we win everything or indeed want to, I dont share the entitlement issues that seem to be all over the shop and will continue to go to the Gate and further afield as and when I can so that can have a drink and a natter, watch a game of football, chant silly stuff and lose myself for a few hours.

Could be but wasn't.  I didnt buy into the intoxication that you mention, purely because until it happens I wont dream on the chance of a dream, prefering to grind the actualities out to get there before going on some FM/Champ odyssey of delierium.

There are many who were expecting us to be high flying and or showing the league what it was about etc. 

We are competitive ( I think it's either 3/4 late goals that have cost us wins draws that would see us comfortably midtable if we hadnt conceded them). We arent getting thrashed every game, we arent down yet and the season isnt over.

Entitlement for success is a massive problem and we want to run before we can walk and are too impatient to actually do the building work.

On the one hand you say there's no 'little man syndrome' and the on the other say 'were crap every time we play at this level so we shouldn't expect it to be different this time'. 

No one thinks we have a divine right to win the league without effort. 

People are rightly incredibly bewildered/confused/frustrated at our own ability to self destruct, and snatch defeat from the jaws of victory time and time again. 

Everything was in place in the summer to put a plan in place that would allow us to COMPETE in this league (key point; it's not about having a divine right/sense of entitlement to win the league, people want to see us compete, and rightly so as there's no valid reason not to)

If Bournemouth, Swansea et al had all gone about it with the 'we should just be grateful to be here' mentality that you seem to be advocating, they wouldn't have progressed the way they did. 

They didn't sit around thinking 'we've not done very well up to now at this level so what right do we have to expect better'. They wanted something, put a plan in place to obtain it and executed it with aplomb. 

Fed up of hearing about how 'we're only Bristol City, we should accept out lot'. 

The summer was an utter shambles after the success of last season, and as fans we deserved better. 

1 minute ago, RalphMilnesLeftFoot said:

I've not, if we'd got all of the signings that have been predicted, etc and we were still where we were, would you be the same or different? Where would you expect us to be? 7th, higher?lower? it is all about entitlement. You've said we won the league last season so we 'should' be doing well.

Simply we don't have that right, nor have we yet earnt it. Thus it's entitlement. I'm sorry (not sorry) but that's  my take on it.

I'm sorry, it's not an issue of entitlement for me. I want to understand how a team like Preston, who finished 8 (?) points below us last season, have not spent a fortune, are 13th in this league and we are 22nd, only being propped up by 2 absolute basket case clubs in Charlton and Bolton. We had 4 months since being promoted in April to sort out a squad fit for purpose this season. 

We've got an owner who suggests we can compete financially in this league - why the hell have we only signed one player on a permanent contract this summer? Why can we barely fill a bench? Why does our manager loan in 3 or 4 players and barely play them? Why won't he give players like Reid, Agard, Burns a run in the team when things clearly aren't working?

Why have we made such a dog's dinner on the back of our best season in 60 years? 

I think these are all realistic questions, and it's why myself and many other fans are tearing our hair out. I never expected us to be fighting for top 6 but this season, in my eyes, from pre-season onwards, has been a total and utter shambles. 

Just now, RalphMilnesLeftFoot said:

I've not, if we'd got all of the signings that have been predicted, etc and we were still where we were, would you be the same or different? Where would you expect us to be? 7th, higher?lower? it is all about entitlement. You've said we won the league last season so we 'should' be doing well.

Simply we don't have that right, nor have we yet earnt it. Thus it's entitlement. I'm sorry (not sorry) but that's  my take on it.

I didn't say we should be doing well, I said we might reasonably have expected to have won more than 4 games in 28.  A very different statement. 

We all make a judgement on what we consider to be an acceptable performance not out of entitlement, but based on what we believe the club has the potential to achieve.  If we had won 4 games in 28 while in the Premier League, the reaction would be very different because people would understand that we would be at the limit of our potential.  Winning 4 in 28 at Championship level is judged to be failing to achieve our potential, something we can rightly be critical of.  That is not about entitlement.

1 minute ago, ChippenhamRed said:

I didn't say we should be doing well, I said we might reasonably have expected to have won more than 4 games in 28.  A very different statement. 

We all make a judgement on what we consider to be an acceptable performance not out of entitlement, but based on what we believe the club has the potential to achieve.  If we had won 4 games in 28 while in the Premier League, the reaction would be very different because people would understand that we would be at the limit of our potential.  Winning 4 in 28 at Championship level is judged to be failing to achieve our potential, something we can rightly be critical of.  That is not about entitlement.

Very well said.

47 minutes ago, Woodsy said:

Couple of sweeping statements there. Is SC a multi millionaire? Does it matter if he is? Does the fan spend thousands of pounds a year following City? Does it matter?

The more of your stuff I read on here I swear you are the re-incarnation of Red Eye. Until I read the Nigel Pearson comment. He's a multi millionaire, who told a customer who pays thousands of pounds a year to watch his club, to '**** off & die'. But that's ok I guess, as it wasn't SC

I'm not a multi millionaire, unfortunately, and I've told people I work with, who didn't pay thousands of pounds for the enjoyment, to **** off. It's quite cathartic. Then we all put our big boy pants on and get on with it

Of course he is a multi millionaire unless he has been spunking his cash on strippers and gear.  Managers at this level are on at least half a million a year - quite a few players are on more than that! He has had multiple jobs in the Championship and he will be on a fair whack at City - he probably got a bonus for the promotion as well.

Of course it matters. In any walk of life it shouldn't be acceptable to talk to someone like that, but in his position its actually horrendous.  He is supposed to be setting an example: I imagine if a player did something similar they would be fined.

To be a really successful manager you can't be hot headed like that.  When we see managers do this kind of thing how often do they usually stay around?

Coupled with his frankly awful post match interviews and dodgy team selections he is not doing himself any favours at all I'm afraid. If you can't see any of that I'm worried.

15 minutes ago, Collis1 said:

Of course he is a multi millionaire unless he has been spunking his cash on strippers and gear.  Managers at this level are on at least half a million a year - quite a few players are on more than that! He has had multiple jobs in the Championship and he will be on a fair whack at City - he probably got a bonus for the promotion as well.

Of course it matters. In any walk of life it shouldn't be acceptable to talk to someone like that, but in his position its actually horrendous.  He is supposed to be setting an example: I imagine if a player did something similar they would be fined.

To be a really successful manager you can't be hot headed like that.  When we see managers do this kind of thing how often do they usually stay around?

Coupled with his frankly awful post match interviews and dodgy team selections he is not doing himself any favours at all I'm afraid. If you can't see any of that I'm worried.

Oh, I see it - don't worry about that

Just wondering what being a multi millionaire has to do with it? I'll give you SAF, as hot headed as they came. He was pretty awful, wasn't he? And I've seen him rinse journo's in pre / post match interviews. I really don't see the point you are trying to make?

9 minutes ago, Woodsy said:

Just wondering what being a multi millionaire has to do with it? I'll give you SAF, as hot headed as they came. He was pretty awful, wasn't he? And I've seen him rinse journo's in pre / post match interviews. I really don't see the point you are trying to make?

I don't think SAF and SC can be compared really Woody. For a start, SAF has sustained success to back up his temper and personality; I stand to be corrected but I can't remember a similar incident to last night with SAF happening in the best part of 20 years; especially when the provocation seems to be alleged criticism of City not passing the ball well enough. SAF was also managing the majority of his career in the age just before camera phones and instantaneous sharing on the internet became so prevalent. Even 5 years ago last night's video wouldn't have been shared and seen by so many so quickly. It's even more important these days to keep your head as you don't know who's filming and that it could potentially be seen by thousands of people within minutes!

I think people are overreacting slightly on what actually happened, but it doesn't look great - especially as there are kids literally inches from him. SC is a father himself so almost certainly regrets it.

29 minutes ago, Woodsy said:

My point about money is that I wouldn't really appreciate being told to F off by someone who is on a huge wage being paid for by the club and in part by supporters.  He has a responsibility to act with humility and to represent the club in a good light.  In a similar way, I felt p1ssed that we were subsidizing Jody Morris' holidays with Rio Ferdinand while he seemingly didn't seem to give a shit about keeping fit.  Its all disrespectful.

Anyway, strange comparison to make.  If SAF was Marks and Spencer, Steve Cotterill is Poundland.

14 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

I don't think SAF and SC can be compared really Woody. For a start, SAF has sustained success to back up his temper and personality; I stand to be corrected but I can't remember a similar incident to last night with SAF happening in the best part of 20 years; especially when the provocation seems to be alleged criticism of City not passing the ball well enough. SAF was also managing the majority of his career in the age just before camera phones and instantaneous sharing on the internet became so prevalent. Even 5 years ago last night's video wouldn't have been shared and seen by so many so quickly. It's even more important these days to keep your head as you don't know who's filming and that it could potentially be seen by thousands of people within minutes!

I think people are overreacting slightly on what actually happened, but it doesn't look great - especially as there are kids literally inches from him. SC is a father himself so almost certainly regrets it.

I'm not one for moment suggesting you compare the records of SC and SAF, I was proving the point that hot heads can be fantastic managers! I can imagine SAF copped dogs abuse off the United fans in the early days when things weren't going well, but, as you say, no one could record it and have it online instantly

The kid being there is the only thing that worries me about it, to be honest. It looked far worse last night as I watched it, not so fussed about it now

1 minute ago, Collis1 said:

My point about money is that I wouldn't really appreciate being told to F off by someone who is on a huge wage being paid for by the club and in part by supporters.  He has a responsibility to act with humility and to represent the club in a good light.  In a similar way, I felt p1ssed that we were subsidizing Jody Morris' holidays with Rio Ferdinand while he seemingly didn't seem to give a shit about keeping fit.  Its all disrespectful.

Anyway, strange comparison to make.  If SAF was Marks and Spencer, Steve Cotterill is Poundland.

How is it a strange comparison?? You said 'To be a really successful manager you can't be hot headed like that.  When we see managers do this kind of thing how often do they usually stay around?' I gave you the most successful manager of his generation, who also stuck around at his club for more than a quarter of a century

I proved you wrong, but that's ok. Nothing personal

Also, I'd be amazed if someone with more money has never told you to **** off, it happens

2 minutes ago, Woodsy said:

I'm not one for moment suggesting you compare the records of SC and SAF, I was proving the point that hot heads can be fantastic managers! I can imagine SAF copped dogs abuse off the United fans in the early days when things weren't going well, but, as you say, no one could record it and have it online instantly

The kid being there is the only thing that worries me about it, to be honest. It looked far worse last night as I watched it, not so fussed about it now

The real issue for me is that it's being passed around the Internet as a source of hilarity at the club's expense. 

Even if it was all a bit 'handbags at dawn', it looks very poor to the outside observer and does us no favours on the PR front. 

5 minutes ago, Woodsy said:

Ah, fair enough I think I misread you to begin with. Yeah, I was expecting more from the video - it's barely audible anyway what SC is saying. I'm more surprised this was at half time, it's *almost* excusable if it was at full time. 

3 minutes ago, BRISTOL86 said:

The real issue for me is that it's being passed around the Internet as a source of hilarity at the club's expense. 

Even if it was all a bit 'handbags at dawn', it looks very poor to the outside observer and does us no favours on the PR front. 

First thing my missus said whilst I was watching it 'who's that? it all sounds a little embarrassing' Summed it up nicely

1 minute ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Ah, fair enough I think I misread you to begin with. Yeah, I was expecting more from the video - it's barely audible anyway what SC is saying. I'm more surprised this was at half time, it's *almost* excusable if it was at full time. 

Ha, that's the bit that got me - ok, the first half sounded dull on the radio, but enough to have a pop at the gaffer? What a belter

12 minutes ago, Woodsy said:

How is it a strange comparison?? You said 'To be a really successful manager you can't be hot headed like that.  When we see managers do this kind of thing how often do they usually stay around?' I gave you the most successful manager of his generation, who also stuck around at his club for more than a quarter of a century

I proved you wrong, but that's ok. Nothing personal

Also, I'd be amazed if someone with more money has never told you to **** off, it happens

I don't think you have proved me wrong, have you?

As PG else just mentioned, I never saw SAF getting involved with fans like last night and even his press conferences were a world apart from SC's which are now like listening to a broken record.

Your last analogy doesn't really work does it?  Anyone could tell me to F off, but if I told one of my clients to F off it would be deeply unprofessional. I would be knee deep in the shit.  Yes, football is more passionate blah blah, but he is supposed to be the manager. Its basic stuff.

It doesn't take many brain cells to work out that as a manager you need to keep the fans on side.  He has literally shot himself in the foot here. Theres no way you can dress it up and say it was a good thing or nothing wrong with it. Its stupid.

1 minute ago, BRISTOL86 said:

I've read lots of derogatory comments about Cotterill from PNE - is there previous there from something? What have I missed?

It stems from his Burnley days. He's never liked us and the feelings mutual! As evidenced by him getting so riled by our fans this season and last. 

Archived