IGNORED

We are worse under Johnson....

Andy082005

6 wins since LJ is impressive however it is quite noticeable we are still struggling badly against teams in the upper half of the table, in fact more so if you consider that we had better results and performances against Cardiff, Hull, Wolves and Brighton under the previous manager.

What seems to have happened is we are worse against the top teams but putting away the dross at the bottom, which we should have been doing previously, but weren't.

We have had 5 of the easier games since February - Bolton have given up, Charlton & Milton Keynes are comfortably the 2 other worst teams in the division, Fulham showed why a team packed with decent players will lose games if the top stars don't fancy it, and Forest are in freefall. Only Ipswich was a properly decent result IMO, although dare I say it they were a missing a key player for that one.

Looking at the remaining games, we have only Derby and Sheffield Wednesday left from the top 10, and despite being at home I would expect us to lose both, as I would QPR away even though they have nothing to play for.

That leaves Rotherham, Brentford, Blackburn and Huddersfield to get points from. Given that I cant see Milton Keynes getting many more points this season, we should be able to get what it takes from those games.

Whether or not we are better or worse under LJ is a moot point, probably both, in a way.

5 hours ago, Andy082005 said:

I'm back? Feel free to look at your posting history . I never left. 

And I certainly agree about your SC comment...I think we would have been pretty much down by now if he had stayed on 

I should have been clearer. Back on this thread. After another blip.

Relax. We'll be safe. 

Although Tuesday night will be an interesting one. I'd have loved to have seen NW down here until the end of the season. Then I'd be even more confident we'd be safe ;)

1 hour ago, BigAlToby&Liam said:

I should have been clearer. Back on this thread. After another blip.

Relax. We'll be safe. 

Although Tuesday night will be an interesting one. I'd have loved to have seen NW down here until the end of the season. Then I'd be even more confident we'd be safe ;)

For what it's worth, I've started to believe we will be safe, just surprised at the amount of people who seem quite relaxed about . 

Tuesday really is a huge game. Slip up and MK nick a win..suddenly it's squeaky bum time. We've all seen that how quickly things can turn in football.

It wasn't to long ago there was another team not to far from us who were celebrating 'league survival ' a week to early....

I really don't understand how anyone expects any manager, let alone LJ, to work miracles and promotion type form with the squad he inherited.

Yes he's brought in some decent loans...but any manager would struggle inheriting such a small squad...low on numbers and quality at this level.

We are in the position we are, purely down to the absolute mess of a pre season and shocking management of LJ's predecessor.

Hopefully our 'Loans' are up for the fight...which is always a worry.

11 minutes ago, spudski said:

I really don't understand how anyone expects any manager, let alone LJ, to work miracles and promotion type form with the squad he inherited.

Yes he's brought in some decent loans...but any manager would struggle inheriting such a small squad...low on numbers and quality at this level.

We are in the position we are, purely down to the absolute mess of a pre season and shocking management of LJ's predecessor.

Hopefully our 'Loans' are up for the fight...which is always a worry.

Irony is that LJ HAS overseen promotion (or at least top six) form since he has arrived.

Nine games, comprising of five wins and four losses, equals approximately 1.6 points as game - across a season that is (again; approximately) 76 points, which certainly would give us a top half finish.

Yes; we're not the finished article. And, yes; we might not end the season with that average per game.  But people going mental when we've lost badly (i.e. yesterday and Brighton) are wilfully ignoring how much better we are overall now than before he arrived.

6 hours ago, Craven arms said:

No worse off but would of been better under Warnock. again City and the cheap option back in league 1.

I genuinely want to scream and repeatedly bang my head against the wall. 

Don't think it is willfully ignoring LJ's record, more like flapping about what ifs and so on. Thing is, although few of us really, truly expected anything yesterday, the fact is, our continued no-show against the top sides means we are looking to fewer games in which we can realistically pick up the minimum two wins we still need. And maybe a draw somewhere. The pressure is on against Rotherham, Huddersfield, Brentford and Blackburn. 

Rotherham have shown recently that, whatever the gulf in class in squads and wages etc, points can be taken from top six sides. In not doing so, we are narrowing down our opportunities to get the points still required and ramping up the pressure on the "easier" games

3 minutes ago, Tomarse said:

I genuinely want to scream and repeatedly bang my head against the wall. 

I know, just people making comments that cannot be backed up back by proof and actually fly in the face of the evidence. What is sadder is the people who are clearly hoping that we lose to Rotherham and get relegated just to prove that they were right all along. What kind of fan is that?

13 minutes ago, Red Right Hand said:

At the end of the day, if we go down it won`t be because we got spanked at Hull, Burnley or Derby it will be because we couldn't beat Charlton and MK at home.

Exactly!

My god we were dead and buried in January, even Zach Clough's dad thought so...We have a great chance of getting out of the mess the previous manager put us in...Yes blessings will always will be upon SC, but bloody hell, how did he (and others) manage to Eff it up that badly.

Our form under LJ and Pembo (a vital part of what has happened) and our signings (that would have been non-starters before SC went) has given us a chance...Just get behind the team for the last few games!!

27 minutes ago, Red Right Hand said:

At the end of the day, if we go down it won`t be because we got spanked at Hull, Burnley or Derby it will be because we couldn't beat Charlton and MK at home.

Seeing as we are currently six points ahead of MK with just seven games left to play I think if we get at least six points less than them over these games that will be the actual reason we go down and we'd also deserve to.

MK have only managed to get six points in total from their previous seven games, if they repeat this then we only need to get one more point to guarantee safety..

1 hour ago, samo II said:

Irony is that LJ HAS overseen promotion (or at least top six) form since he has arrived.

Nine games, comprising of five wins and four losses, equals approximately 1.6 points as game - across a season that is (again; approximately) 76 points, which certainly would give us a top half finish.

Yes; we're not the finished article. And, yes; we might not end the season with that average per game.  But people going mental when we've lost badly (i.e. yesterday and Brighton) are wilfully ignoring how much better we are overall now than before he arrived.

I totally agree...you only have to look at the form stats since he took over to see that.

He's doing an excellent job imo.

On 2 April 2016 at 20:59, Andy082005 said:

As today has proved....still a long way to go and anyone who thinks we are anywhere near safety, is deluded 

I'm sorry but you said we were doomed so I still don't think you're admitting you were wrong. We are very near to safety too. 

4 hours ago, Jack Dawe said:

Don't think it is willfully ignoring LJ's record, more like flapping about what ifs and so on. Thing is, although few of us really, truly expected anything yesterday, the fact is, our continued no-show against the top sides means we are looking to fewer games in which we can realistically pick up the minimum two wins we still need. And maybe a draw somewhere. The pressure is on against Rotherham, Huddersfield, Brentford and Blackburn. 

Rotherham have shown recently that, whatever the gulf in class in squads and wages etc, points can be taken from top six sides. In not doing so, we are narrowing down our opportunities to get the points still required and ramping up the pressure on the "easier" games

Believe it or not, in theory it is possible to get no more points and still survive. I would far rather put it beyond doubt Asap though!

10 hours ago, NickJ said:

6 wins since LJ is impressive however it is quite noticeable we are still struggling badly against teams in the upper half of the table, in fact more so if you consider that we had better results and performances against Cardiff, Hull, Wolves and Brighton under the previous manager.

What seems to have happened is we are worse against the top teams but putting away the dross at the bottom, which we should have been doing previously, but weren't.

We have had 5 of the easier games since February - Bolton have given up, Charlton & Milton Keynes are comfortably the 2 other worst teams in the division, Fulham showed why a team packed with decent players will lose games if the top stars don't fancy it, and Forest are in freefall. Only Ipswich was a properly decent result IMO, although dare I say it they were a missing a key player for that one.

Looking at the remaining games, we have only Derby and Sheffield Wednesday left from the top 10, and despite being at home I would expect us to lose both, as I would QPR away even though they have nothing to play for.

That leaves Rotherham, Brentford, Blackburn and Huddersfield to get points from. Given that I cant see Milton Keynes getting many more points this season, we should be able to get what it takes from those games.

Whether or not we are better or worse under LJ is a moot point, probably both, in a way.

We've been tonked twice under LJ against Hull and Brighton (both 4-0) but in SC's last 6 games we got beaten 4-0 against both Burnley and Derby so not sure where the justification comes from that we are now 'worse against the top teams'?

4 wins in 28 for SC, 5 wins in 9 for LJ - that seems fairly conclusive to me that thus far we are doing a damn sight better under LJ. 22 pts from 13 games since LJ's departure.

14 hours ago, GrahamC said:

Seeing as we are currently six points ahead of MK with just seven games left to play I think if we get at least six points less than them over these games that will be the actual reason we go down and we'd also deserve to.

MK have only managed to get six points in total from their previous seven games, if they repeat this then we only need to get one more point to guarantee safety..

Good point, except you are forgetting about Charlton whose last minute winner against Brum keeps them in with a shout of catching us too. Suspect we need at least 6 points for safety, maybe 7 given our awful GD.

16 hours ago, Port Said Red said:

I know, just people making comments that cannot be backed up back by proof and actually fly in the face of the evidence. What is sadder is the people who are clearly hoping that we lose to Rotherham and get relegated just to prove that they were right all along. What kind of fan is that?

My bold: stick up proof of this in a post, if you can.

36 minutes ago, old_eastender said:

Good point, except you are forgetting about Charlton whose last minute winner against Brum keeps them in with a shout of catching us too. Suspect we need at least 6 points for safety, maybe 7 given our awful GD.

Charlton (who unusually have an even worse GD than us) still have to win three games of their last seven just to overhaul us now, they go to Ipswich tomorrow and also have still got to play both Brighton and Burnley....

I think you are right in one respect, we probably do need six more points to guarantee safety but in reality I just can't see MK or Charlton getting sufficient points for us to actually need that many. Of course six points from seven games is less than we have been achieving of late and even a point tomorrow would make me confident we'd do so.

LJ is working with someone else's squad in the most part.

The players he has added will see us safe and beating teams around us is how we will achieve it.

I didn't expect anything from the Hull game. Especially with two weeks off to kill our momentum from the Bolton win.

Tuesday is big and I would expect a readtion from the boys in front of a home crowd.

If the summer goes well (it can't be any worse than last summer) then we can think about beating Hull then.

56 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

My evidence is that this thread is being resurrected because we failed to win a game and the overall tone is clear to anyone who reads the posts.

Then we interpret things differently.  I don't see anyone wanting the club relegated to prove they were right.   I see people engaged in debate about our position .  I also see people who don't agree with the narrative of certain people, wrongly accusing those people of not having the clubs best interests at heart or wanting the club to fail.

14 hours ago, Kid in the Riot said:

We've been tonked twice under LJ against Hull and Brighton (both 4-0) but in SC's last 6 games we got beaten 4-0 against both Burnley and Derby so not sure where the justification comes from that we are now 'worse against the top teams'?

4 wins in 28 for SC, 5 wins in 9 for LJ - that seems fairly conclusive to me that thus far we are doing a damn sight better under LJ. 22 pts from 13 games since LJ's departure.

Great post. I think this whole thread can be summarised by your post. No spin, just facts.

And all this with a squad that was not his, and was low on form and morale.

15 hours ago, semblar said:

Believe it or not, in theory it is possible to get no more points and still survive. I would far rather put it beyond doubt Asap though!

If that were to happen I'm sure that Steve Lansdown will authorise free toilet rolls for every City fan attending the Huddersfield home match on April 30th!

2 hours ago, cityloyal473 said:

Then we interpret things differently.  I don't see anyone wanting the club relegated to prove they were right.   I see people engaged in debate about our position .  I also see people who don't agree with the narrative of certain people, wrongly accusing those people of not having the clubs best interests at heart or wanting the club to fail.

Do I think anyone wants us to go down? - Absolutely not.

Do I think people are happy to see LJ struggle, provided we stay up? - Certainly

Do I think there will be the bigget Neil Warnock wankfest of all time by a certain few on here if we lose tomorrow? - You bet your sweet bippy I do.

Archived