IGNORED

We are worse under Johnson....

Andy082005

Who's to say at this time if LJ can keep us up,the results in this league are mental.

I can see us getting beat 3/1 at Fulham and finding us in the bottom 3. This place will then explode with the told you so football experts.

After that I can also see a totally ramped up Ashton Gate forcing the boys on to wins against Bolton and Rotherham.

I know the home form has been shite all season but when it gets down to it life or death (so to speak) it will be a cauldron,

Liverpool,Chelsea,Haatlepool,Portsmouth,Palace. The up coming games our fans know the importance . so I think just enough to drive us over the line.

Then Lee Johnson I.M.O it will be time to earn your corn. Yes I know he's got some work to do in the last few games.

Anyway all you people lucky enough to be at those last few games CUM OM U RREEEEDDDDSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!

1 hour ago, spudski said:

Our GD has been awful all season fella...we've conceded far less goals since SC left.

Our form overall is that of 17th place in the last five games...teams below have caught up.

A few games ago people thought we were safe...a couple losses...it's all grim again. What happens if we win our next two? All fine again?

It's ridiculous how people think on this forum mate...they fail to see the bigger picture, and think by changing the manager a miracle is going to happen.

We are in the position we are in, because of a lack of recruitment and SC only gaining 4 wins in 26 games...a small squad, injuries and mounting pressure.

All of a sudden it's LJ's fault!

People are delusional if they think any manager could come in a wave a magic wand and produce promotion type form with what we have.

It's an awful situation to be in...but it is what it is...not because of LJ...but because of prior mismanagement from all parts of the club.

Blaming people in position now is fruitless...what good will it do?

We could go down quiet possibly...but no way should LJ get the blame...or any manager that was here instead of him.

This season has been all balls up since the end of last season.

Now I agree with a lot of that,but it is important to note,

1. If we go down its not entirely L J's fault but his inexperience may be a factor.

2. L J did not appoint himself, therefore the blame for that decision, if indeed there is blame, lies elsewhere.

3. Under Pemberton and Elliott we looked solid and organized, frankly, we don't now as LL is "tinkering"

As I have said on other threads, it could be that he is the right man at the wrong time, staying up is utterly vital, otherwise we may not be back here for some time. I also detect a lack of steel - of course I could may well be wrong - but now is not the time for a novice.

In 6 weeks all may be well, I do desperately hope so, but ...........

3 hours ago, Alessandro said:

Dt money to run. Football clubs LOSE money unless you play in the top leagues and have that TV revenue.

2. Under SL, we were 1 goal, 1 goal away from the 'holy grail'. Remember? The debt built quickly as he looked to back following managers and build on that momentum. 

That's football.

Quick question, what do you think Bolton would call someone who walked in and gave them £35 million tomorrow?

A Messiah.

We were 2 goals away actually.

I know a bloke who claims to be searching for the ACTUAL Holy Grail.

He's had exactly the same success.

1 hour ago, Alessandro said:

Not fixated on running down SC at all. No more than you are fixated with criticising SL. I'm offering an opinion based upon his track record, results and our progression (or lack of, 4 wins in 27 or whatever) under him this season that SC would not have taken us forward, just as he failed to at the three other championship clubs he managed.

You on the other hand think he would have turned a corner based upon nothing more than 'gut feeling'.

I'd rather not rely on gut feelings, so yes you're right, we won't agree on this.

You're also slightly contradicting yourself here Nick, yes you say you haven't judged his record and yet you've already made your mind up that he won't be a success at BCFC? 

SL et al would have decided LJ was the best option to take us forward, to help the club progress towards the ultimate aim of promotion to the premiership, be it with LJ or another manager, in 2 or 5 or 10 years time. The board have said they want us to challenge for promotion, not they expect to achieve it.

Seems logical to me, they believe he will take us forward. But no, the board are illogical because NickJ thinks LJ won't get us promoted next season. Who knows,  I'll tell you what, i'll put a bet on with you that 87% of championship managers won't win promotion next year.

I'm not judging his short term record. It would be foolish after such a short time.

But I am prepared to stick my neck out and say this won't end happily.

Just as I said it was a mistake to sack McInnes (because I felt he is an intelligent guy who would have learned from his mistakes), just as I said SOD would take us down (even Lansdown agreed with that, just several months after me), and just as I was in a very tiny minority who supported Cotterill from day one.

See, I have an opinion, and I'm not afraid to say it up front, not be wise after the event.

You said in your previous post you wouldn't sit on the fence... about SL. And you didn't. AFTER results went wrong this season.

In my opinion, which so far nobody has disagreed with, LJ will not get us promotion to the Premiership. And I cannot see Lansdown's logic in appointing somebody who is unlikely to get us promotion to the Premiership, if Lansdowns stated ambition is to get promotion to the Premiership.

We have one of the cleverest, richest, owners. And one of the brightest, up and coming coaches. What can possibly go wrong?

Simple question - LJ, in your opinion, which will happen first: up, down, or sacked?

23 minutes ago, ScottishRed said:

Now I agree with a lot of that,but it is important to note,

1. If we go down its not entirely L J's fault but his inexperience may be a factor.

2. L J did not appoint himself, therefore the blame for that decision, if indeed there is blame, lies elsewhere.

3. Under Pemberton and Elliott we looked solid and organized, frankly, we don't now as LL is "tinkering"

As I have said on other threads, it could be that he is the right man at the wrong time, staying up is utterly vital, otherwise we may not be back here for some time. I also detect a lack of steel - of course I could may well be wrong - but now is not the time for a novice.

In 6 weeks all may be well, I do desperately hope so, but ...........

Hey fella...I get your points, but maybe try thinking of it this way.

Point 1. I'm not entirely sure 'Experience' at this level has anything to do with it. There have been numerous managers that have inexperience at this level that have done well...LJ's father for one took us one game away from the Prem...what experience did he have? It's all about finding the right fit, to go with what the club want, and who LJ has to work with. It's not as simple as finding a coach that has done it at this level before and hoping it works. The club have a long term strategy that has a blueprint. They wanted a coach that would fit with that.

Point 2. Valid point.

Point 3. I think we have also looked solid under LJ...less goals conceded, more points gained than before...any 'tinkering' has been done because of injuries. He's used Subs...the whole squad, included Academy players and has brought in some decent loans and made signings. I would say we are organised...however injuries have made his job harder, especially inheriting a small squad.

We also do not know what experienced managers wanted to come here...it's all very well saying bring in an experienced manager, but we have no idea who wanted the job and who would fit with the clubs remit.

The fact of the matter is...we are little ol' Bristol City...with an owner who has grandiose ideas. We are in a very difficult league, with 20 odd other clubs fighting the same dream.

To think LJ or any other manager is going to take us up is long odds.

It may or may not happen...bigger clubs than us have been in this league for a very long time, wishing the same thing. So it's fool hardy for anyone to think a manager is going to come here, wave a magic wand, and compete financially with other bigger clubs and produce next season a promotion winning side.

If we stay up, I would say the odds favour LJ being a manager here and getting dismissed, way before we get promoted...Odds and facts from previous clubs in this league would prove this...it is a numbers game after all.

I would hope if things fall into place and we progress, it's done in a way that is sustainable long term.

Become strong in this league, get Cat 1 academy status and improve the clubs, scouts, coach's, playing staff and infrastructure as we go.

2 hours ago, spudski said:

Our GD has been awful all season fella...we've conceded far less goals since SC left.

Our form overall is that of 17th place in the last five games...teams below have caught up.

A few games ago people thought we were safe...a couple losses...it's all grim again. What happens if we win our next two? All fine again?

It's ridiculous how people think on this forum mate...they fail to see the bigger picture, and think by changing the manager a miracle is going to happen.

We are in the position we are in, because of a lack of recruitment and SC only gaining 4 wins in 26 games...a small squad, injuries and mounting pressure.

People are delusional if they think any manager could come in a wave a magic wand and produce promotion type form with what we have.

It's an awful situation to be in...but it is what it is...not because of LJ...but because of prior mismanagement from all parts of the club.

We could go down quiet possibly...but no way should LJ get the blame...or any manager that was here instead of him.

Once more I am not seeing what you are seeing in these post's, people are merely displaying the same degree of dismay in LJ's appointment as you did with SC from beginning to the end, nothing more nothing less, especially when things had already began to change for the better under Pemberton and Elliott, I don't see anybody saying it LJ's fault per se, but we do seem to be drifting back into the bad old ways for some reason, individual mistakes and leaking goals again and last night the first hint of an excuse in his post match interview, something I know you dislike to hear.

if we do go down after the start that Pemberton and Elliott gave him and he carried on to give us an 8 point cushion, then of course he has to shoulder 'some' of the blame, the buck stops with him and those who appointed him.

50 minutes ago, spudski said:

The fact of the matter is...we are little ol' Bristol City...with an owner who has grandiose ideas. We are in a very difficult league, with 20 odd other clubs fighting the same dream.

It may or may not happen...bigger clubs than us have been in this league for a very long time, wishing the same thing.

All of those bigger clubs have at least been up there at some point in the not so distant past.

Since the current regime took over, 46 different football clubs have been in the Premiership.

We have one of the cleverest, richest blokes in the country, controlling the destiny of the 7th biggest city in the country, with one of the country's foremost up and coming young coaches.

Why do clubs such as Wigan, Bournemouth, Fulham, Burnley whizz past us?

2 minutes ago, Esmond Million's Bung said:

Once more I am not seeing what you are seeing in these post's, people are merely displaying the same degree of dismay in LJ's appointment as you did with SC from beginning to the end, nothing more nothing less, especially when things had already began to change for the better under Pemberton and Elliott, I don't see anybody saying it LJ's fault per se, but we do seem to be drifting back into the bad old ways for some reason, individual mistakes and leaking goals again and last night the first hint of an excuse in his post match interview, something I know you dislike to hear.

if we do go down after the start that Pemberton and Elliott gave him and he carried on to give us an 8 point cushion, then of course he has to shoulder 'some' of the blame, the buck stops with him and those who appointed him.

Exactly. Mention that you don't think LJ is the right choice, and that's taken as an attack on LJ, its disloyal.

No, its an opinion on why we think LJ's appointment is yet another bonkers decision....

... look at all of the clubs promoted from Championship to Premiership over the past 12 or so seasons - how many have never played in the Premiership and/or never previously managed in the Championship, and/or never played/managed at a top foreign club?

Common sense tells you the odds are stacked against LJ achieving what Lansdown says he wants.

2 hours ago, NickJ said:

All of those bigger clubs have at least been up there at some point in the not so distant past.

Since the current regime took over, 46 different football clubs have been in the Premiership.

We have one of the cleverest, richest blokes in the country, controlling the destiny of the 7th biggest city in the country, with one of the country's foremost up and coming young coaches.

Why do clubs such as Wigan, Bournemouth, Fulham, Burnley whizz past us?

Exactly. Mention that you don't think LJ is the right choice, and that's taken as an attack on LJ, its disloyal.

No, its an opinion on why we think LJ's appointment is yet another bonkers decision....

... look at all of the clubs promoted from Championship to Premiership over the past 12 or so seasons - how many have never played in the Premiership and/or never previously managed in the Championship, and/or never played/managed at a top foreign club?

Common sense tells you the odds are stacked against LJ achieving what Lansdown says he wants.

Look at Eddie Howe...who went from Bournemouth to Burnley, with no Championship experience...then returned to Bournemouth and took them to the Prem.

Was that a 'bonkers' decision?

Look at Wigan and Fulham now...look at Leeds...Sheffield Utd etc,etc

Of course odds are stacked against LJ...as they are with any manager in this league.

Like I said in a previous post...we have no idea what managers applied for the job and who wanted it.

We don't know whether all would coach under the blueprint and remit the club want.

Getting in an 'experienced coach' doesn't guarantee success...ask the majority of teams in the league that don't get promoted.

Lets see what happens shall we...if we stay up and who we bring in over the summer.

SC did a fantastic job of getting us out of League 1...then bolloxed up this season...as you agreed with EMB, the buck stops with the manager and those who appoint him.

If we stay up and LJ consolidates us in the Championship next season...are you and others going to say he's rubbish, because he didn't get us promotion or challenge as SL has suggested he wants?

Only 3 can go up...the chances are very slim. You need everything to fall into place...have some luck and a sound infrastructure in the club.

We are still building that infrastructure...very late to the table.

What's the point of going up if you can't keep there...or challenge again the following season?

Sound investment needs to be made throughout the club...imo, we are still a club in transition.

Ignore the talk of Prem football...yes it could happen, but it's unlikely too, regardless of manager.

One things for sure...if we do get relegated, we are going to look the biggest tools in football.

I think we can agree on the fact, that we both think SL is a clever man, but he has made massive mistakes running this club.

Personally, I think talk of Prem football by him and the club, is just a way of marketing ourselves and selling ourselves to perspective playing staff and future club staff.

Deep down, they will know it's a very difficult task. It looks very stupid tbh...it's laughable that they are talking about possible promotion next season, when we are in a relegation battle. But how else do you attract quality...if you aren't aiming high?

As we have seen...a manager can be a hero one year, a villain the next...but we all know it's not just about the manager...but the whole club and how it's working.

Personally...I think they are making steps in the right direction...I've no high expectations of LJ or the Club...but I do think it's possible to stay up and consolidate next year.

Whatever happens...I'm sure we'll all be blaming someone for something over the coming weeks...that's a given ;-)

10 hours ago, spudski said:

I agree...it's a way of letting off steam...but in all honesty, some need a check up from the neck up...some total crap being spouted on here.

The fact someone believes LJ won't take us up...and that because no forum member has come forward and disagreed with this statement , they then believe SL has made a mistake and that he alone has faith in LJ!!! The logic...seriously delusional...like people in the game are going to listen to a bunch of forum members for advice! I ask you...completely bonkers.

9 hours ago, NickJ said:

In my opinion, which so far nobody has disagreed with, LJ will not get us promotion to the Premiership. And I cannot see Lansdown's logic in appointing somebody who is unlikely to get us promotion to the Premiership, if Lansdowns stated ambition is to get promotion to the Premiership.

See above, a post liked by 6 people so far, so I guess there are people who don't agree with your logic.  

Simple question - LJ, in your opinion, which will happen first: up, down, or sacked?

Yes Lansdown's long term aim is promotion to premiership and he hopes to be challenging for it next season. He has said he expects to achieve promotion. So as i've said already, the board made a logical appointment with the person they see as the fit, all circumstances considered, to take us forward.

The answer to your simple question. Well it's I wouldn't call it simple, perhaps pointless. Of course one of those things will happen, but the one thing I know about the future is it's unpredictable. I will say though I believe we will stay up this year. 

Beyond that, who knows? 

Can I ask you, because you think it's another 'bonkers' decision, did you say? What do you "expect" from the club? What are your hopes, ambitions? And who would you have appointed?

27 minutes ago, Alessandro said:

Yes Lansdown's long term aim is promotion to premiership and he hopes to be challenging for it next season. He has said he expects to achieve promotion. So as i've said already, the board made a logical appointment with the person they see as the fit, all circumstances considered, to take us forward.

The answer to your simple question. Well it's I wouldn't call it simple, perhaps pointless. Of course one of those things will happen, but the one thing I know about the future is it's unpredictable. I will say though I believe we will stay up this year. 

Beyond that, who knows? 

Can I ask you, because you think it's another 'bonkers' decision, did you say? What do you "expect" from the club? What are your hopes, ambitions? And who would you have appointed?

My bold 1: The appointment of a third division also ran manager would suggest that Lansdown isn't serious and is taking us for a ride.

My bold 2:  I expect the club to back up its desire for premier league football with someone capable of getting us there.  Not appoint a 'friend'.  I would have kept Pembo and Wade in charge until the end of the season and then reassessed, if nothing was available now.

In our current predicament, what made the board think that LJ was (a) the man to keep us up and (b) the man to get us up?

11 minutes ago, Alessandro said:

Beyond that, who knows? 

Good morning.

Beyond that who knows? Nobody, of course. But I am quite confident LJ will not take us up, and that eventually he will take us down or be sacked. Of the realistic candidates that were mentioned, for example if Pearson had been appointed, I would not be saying that.

What do I expect from the club? Not sure why you would ask that, the same broadly speaking as most people, probably. That's why I think LJ is a very strange appointment.

5 hours ago, spudski said:

Look at Eddie Howe...who went from Bournemouth to Burnley, with no Championship experience...then returned to Bournemouth and took them to the Prem.

Was that a 'bonkers' decision?

Look at Wigan and Fulham now...look at Leeds...Sheffield Utd etc,etc

Of course odds are stacked against LJ...as they are with any manager in this league.

Like I said in a previous post...we have no idea what managers applied for the job and who wanted it.

We don't know whether all would coach under the blueprint and remit the club want.

Getting in an 'experienced coach' doesn't guarantee success...ask the majority of teams in the league that don't get promoted.

Lets see what happens shall we...if we stay up and who we bring in over the summer.

SC did a fantastic job of getting us out of League 1...then bolloxed up this season...as you agreed with EMB, the buck stops with the manager and those who appoint him.

If we stay up and LJ consolidates us in the Championship next season...are you and others going to say he's rubbish, because he didn't get us promotion or challenge as SL has suggested he wants?

Only 3 can go up...the chances are very slim. You need everything to fall into place...have some luck and a sound infrastructure in the club.

We are still building that infrastructure...very late to the table.

What's the point of going up if you can't keep there...or challenge again the following season?

Sound investment needs to be made throughout the club...imo, we are still a club in transition.

Ignore the talk of Prem football...yes it could happen, but it's unlikely too, regardless of manager.

One things for sure...if we do get relegated, we are going to look the biggest tools in football.

I think we can agree on the fact, that we both think SL is a clever man, but he has made massive mistakes running this club.

Personally, I think talk of Prem football by him and the club, is just a way of marketing ourselves and selling ourselves to perspective playing staff and future club staff.

Deep down, they will know it's a very difficult task. It looks very stupid tbh...it's laughable that they are talking about possible promotion next season, when we are in a relegation battle. But how else do you attract quality...if you aren't aiming high?

As we have seen...a manager can be a hero one year, a villain the next...but we all know it's not just about the manager...but the whole club and how it's working.

Personally...I think they are making steps in the right direction...I've no high expectations of LJ or the Club...but I do think it's possible to stay up and consolidate next year.

Whatever happens...I'm sure we'll all be blaming someone for something over the coming weeks...that's a given ;-)

To take up some of your points - Howe getting promotion for Bournemouth following a spell at another Championship club actually supports the point I was making.

Wigan etc now - yes, but at least they have been at the top table. Why is this not possible with Bristol City - I think we agree on that one!

Of course an experienced manager doesn't guarantee success - but history shows that somebody with LJ's background is very much less likely to get promotion to the Premiership than a manager with the profile I listed.

If LJ keeps us in the Championship, no I wont say he's rubbish, I wont even say it if he takes us down - that is not what my point is all about.

3 hours ago, havanatopia said:

I am saddened by the doomsday scenario outlined by Noggers; that is a stand out post in this thread and it sends the cold shivers down my spine. 

Agreed and IMO it is very likely to happen..

8 hours ago, NickJ said:

Also mate when you read the whole post it actually reads as, anything good like a win or draw is down to LJ but any poor performance and defeat is not his fault it is down to other factors especially the previous manager.

22 hours ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

I do agree with this Jordan.

Cotterill's stated aim was for City to make their mark in the Championship this time by taking the game to our opponents and playing a system of attacking and entertaining football. He knew that City's history at this level showed that trying to survive by playing negative, inhibited football would only lead to two or three seasons of desperate struggle before eventual inevitable relegation.

For whatever reason the players needed for that system to be successful in this division didn't arrive and we struggled not only with signings but results wise as well, It must be said though that many of the players since signed were due to sign for SC anyway and imo his record of fighting relegation - never having been manager of a relegated side -  should have given everyone confidence he would keep City up by hook or by crook, and then improve the squad enough to make his system far more successful next season.

So there was real hope for us fans that City would become a club noted in the Championship for playing attacking and successful football - as you say a club with a really positive identity - while gradually establishing ourselves season by season in the Championship in an expansive way that made supporting BCFC at this level enjoyable.

With the appointment of LJ we will probably just about stay up, but what then? I have no confidence at all of real progression for this club in the Championship now and without our own philosophy and identity it will be just a matter of time, possibly even next season, before we take the drop.

In the meantime we'll generally struggle, entertainment and optimism will be sparse, wins few and far between, with fan enthusiasm and attendance inevitably dropping. We can hope for nothing more than to be at best mediocre in all respects at Championship level while our annual aim will be little more than avoiding relegation while playing the scrappy and unadventurous football required to achieve it.

Not a great prospect, especially as we've all sat through the same with ever decreasing enthusiasm before.

For me the hope for something extraordinary with Bristol City genuinely doing something different with a determination to really make their mark this time has gone. Without it we are a comparatively poorly financed club with nothing different to offer tactically who will usually be outgunned by far better equipped opponents leading to only one conclusion.

The hope of real progression and exciting football at AG went with Cotterill's sacking and it's all a massive anti climax and hugely disappointing.

I presume this is the thread to which Havana referred later in this thread.

While there is a lot of what you say that I regrettably agree with, my other thought is what would have been the option - to keep Cotterill with the almost inevitable conclusion that his resolute determination to not change the system of playing would have led to relegation? How could we afford to have "stuck to our principles" to be different from the rest of the championship, but unable to compete with them, only to end up playing to crowds of 9000 lost in a spanking new 27000 seater refurbished stadium?

What this season has told me is that for all of  SL's wealth, we need a lot more to be able to truly compete at this level and mount any sort of challenge at the other end of the table, and we are certainly not going to get that in league 1. We need to stay in championship to have any chance of attracting the quality of players that we will need to be able to do things in any way differently. We also need the financial wherewithal to afford and attract that type of player, and ffp stops SL funding that directly. Getting decent crowds and the ancillary income the redeveloped stadium will bring will give us more revenue and financial clout.

We had the best players in league 1, because we romped it playing 3-5-2, but those players were found out at this level. It's not that 3-5-2 won't work but it needs better players to make it effectively at this level. I'm only speculating, but perhaps LJ is being pragmatic by going 4-4-2 if it is the way we need to play to stay up this season. What is to say that he cannot switch to 3-5-2 in the future when he has been able to bring in players able to operate under that formation but also to be competitive at this level?

Do we want to continue to be different if it guarantees relegation,  or are we happy to be the same as everyone else if it means we can stay in the championship and continue to build to a position when we can afford to be different again?

8 minutes ago, Shtanley said:

How many times did cotterill get nominated for championship manager of the month?

Without wishing to get embroiled in this debate, the manager of the month award / nomination means knack all to be honest.

Steve Cotterill won the award only twice last season.

20 hours ago, TwoSheds said:

Doomsday sums it up can LJ motivate our team to beat Rotherham or can Neil Warnock motivate his team. I think we are in the last chance saloon. Bolton and Charlton look gone its between us MK and Rotherham, now i'm worried by Warnock.

It's highly unlikely that Rotherham will go from whipping boys to playing like Champions for the rest of the season.

This is there ' honeymoon ' period and best of luck to them .

The fact remains that our status is in our hands . If we stay up we deserve to and if the worst happens , well , that's what the club merit over the course of the season.

It's down to us .

The players and staff and you me babbers , The excellent supporters of this football club , to give everything to ensure our survival and let the other clubs deal with their destiny.

1 hour ago, NickJ said:

Good morning.

Beyond that who knows? Nobody, of course. But I am quite confident LJ will not take us up, and that eventually he will take us down or be sacked. Of the realistic candidates that were mentioned, for example if Pearson had been appointed, I would not be saying that.

What do I expect from the club? Not sure why you would ask that, the same broadly speaking as most people, probably. That's why I think LJ is a very strange appointment.

To take up some of your points - Howe getting promotion for Bournemouth following a spell at another Championship club actually supports the point I was making.

Wigan etc now - yes, but at least they have been at the top table. Why is this not possible with Bristol City - I think we agree on that one!

Of course an experienced manager doesn't guarantee success - but history shows that somebody with LJ's background is very much less likely to get promotion to the Premiership than a manager with the profile I listed.

If LJ keeps us in the Championship, no I wont say he's rubbish, I wont even say it if he takes us down - that is not what my point is all about.

Agreed and IMO it is very likely to happen..

To me it comes down to something very simple. 

You believe that appointing LJ was a bad decision because he won't take us forward, or is highly unlikely to take us forward. Fine you're entitled to your opinion. Opinion is an entitlement, ignorance is not.

But that opinion, is NOT SHARED by the board. They, along with Mark Ashton believe that of the candidates available LJ was the best option. They believe he is an exciting young coach going places and one who can take us forward. Whether he will or not, time will tell, but BCFC believe he is worth a shot.

Whose opinion carries less ignorance, the opinion of the people who actually run the club, who understand the day to day runnings, who've actually met and spoken to the man in question, seen how they work, conducted the interviews, met the other candidates etc.

Or the opinion of an armchair fan who has created a judgement without ever even meeting the person, seeing how they conduct themselves, take training, talk of plans and strategies for the future.

So who should one trust more, the ignorant or the informed? I trust the boards decision was transparent and with the best intentions of the club at heart.

And why does everyone also have to believe that there is some kind of conspiracy??! That SL is taking us for a ride! For what reason would he plunge millions of his OWN cash into the club? To take us for a ride. There is no conspiracy. But I know I'm fighting a losing battle with a stubborn and ignorant few who will always live with the notion that the world owes them something. 

8 minutes ago, exAtyeoMax said:

Do you think it's possible to replace the word 'deluded' with a totally inappropriate word on OTIB…? I hate that word

You're deluded if you think that's possible. 

11 minutes ago, exAtyeoMax said:

Do you think it's possible to replace the word 'deluded' with a totally inappropriate word on OTIB…? I hate that word

I am rather fond of the word "denuded" and I very much hope to use it often in the Rovers thread some day about Wael e Coyote, once he has done his worst with them and moved on somewhere else. Here's hoping

3 minutes ago, Alessandro said:

You believe that appointing LJ was a bad decision because he won't take us forward, or is highly unlikely to take us forward. Fine you're entitled to your opinion. Opinion is an entitlement, ignorance is not.

But that opinion, is NOT SHARED by the board. They, along with Mark Ashton believe that of the candidates available LJ was the best option. They believe he is an exciting young coach going places and one who can take us forward. Whether he will or not, time will tell, but BCFC believe he is worth a shot.

Whose opinion carries less ignorance, the opinion of the people who actually run the club, who understand the day to day runnings, who've actually met and spoken to the man in question, seen how they work, conducted the interviews, met the other candidates etc.

Or the opinion of an armchair fan who has created a judgement without ever even meeting the person, seeing how they conduct themselves, take training, talk of plans and strategies for the future.

So who should one trust more, the ignorant or the informed? I trust the boards decision was transparent and with the best intentions of the club at heart.

And why does everyone also have to believe that there is some kind of conspiracy??! That SL is taking us for a ride! For what reason would he plunge millions of his OWN cash into the club? To take us for a ride. There is no conspiracy. But I know I'm fighting a losing battle with a stubborn and ignorant few who will always live with the notion that the world owes them something. 

I give you, Tinnion, Coppell, Millen, Mcinnes and SOD.

People are airing their opinions, calling them ignorant or deluded because they don't match your or other peoples opinions adds nothing to the debate.

As with most things in life my stance is somewhat in the middle, I have a lot of time for SL and fully appreciate his vision and what he is achieving for our club, however anybody can see sometimes (especially in his choice of manager) he has been found wanting and for once he had wiggle room in as much as he could have left Pemberton and Elliott in charge, there was no rush to appoint a new man, they were doing fine.

18 minutes ago, Esmond Million's Bung said:

I give you, Tinnion, Coppell, Millen, Mcinnes and SOD.

People are airing their opinions, calling them ignorant or deluded because they don't match your or other peoples opinions adds nothing to the debate.

As with most things in life my stance is somewhat in the middle, I have a lot of time for SL and fully appreciate his vision and what he is achieving for our club, however anybody can see sometimes (especially in his choice of manager) he has been found wanting and for once he had wiggle room in as much as he could have left Pemberton and Elliott in charge, there was no rush to appoint a new man, they were doing fine.

LJ could have gone to Wembley , possibly got promotion and we'd know what division we'd be in for the following season.

I half think LJ was taken on because he has a reasonably good record in League 1 .

If we go down he could be the man to relaunch the club .

12 hours ago, NickJ said:

I'm not judging his short term record. It would be foolish after such a short time.

But I am prepared to stick my neck out and say this won't end happily.

You said in your previous post you wouldn't sit on the fence... about SL. And you didn't. AFTER results went wrong this season.

Who would achieve what only Alan Dicks has?  None would be allowed the time DIcks had.

Mr Johnson has had a handful of games in charge.  He should be supported. 

Very few Managers  tenures end happily be they Dicks, Cooper, Ward, Johnson, Cotterill ... Very few.

• Admin
28 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

I half think LJ was taken on because he has a reasonably good record in League 1 .

Funny, I'm currently working in Manchester with a life long Oldham supporter, he rates Johnson as one of the worst to ever manage there and with many others was delighted when he left

For us, the good work by Pembo and Wade has clearly been undone, and what lies ahead nobody knows   

14 hours ago, spudski said:

Yes, I agree with most of what you say, but, my point and I think some others on here, is that there was no need to appoint LJ when SL did.  Pembs and Wades were doing quite well thank you and I believe that regardless of injuries, which all teams get in a season, that LJ is tinkering to much and has upset the momentum that Pembs and Wades had.    That's all I am saying and a few others agree.

1 hour ago, Alessandro said:

What a series of bizarre comments.

Most obviously the people running the club can make a more informed judgment - but are you suggesting that nobody else can have a view? If not, what?

Who has suggested the decision was not made with the clubs best interests at heart?

Where have I said there is a conspiracy?

And what does having a view on anything Bristol City become tantamount to saying "the world owes them something".

Listen, as an "armchair" supporter, my view is I think there is little chance LJ will take us into the Premiership. I would have a different view if any number of other managers had been appointed. I'm not sure why you take such issue with somebody having an opinion, on a forum.

24 minutes ago, WTMS said:

Who would achieve what only Alan Dicks has?  None would be allowed the time DIcks had.

Mr Johnson has had a handful of games in charge.  He should be supported. 

Very few Managers  tenures end happily be they Dicks, Cooper, Ward, Johnson, Cotterill ... Very few.

Yes of course, but do not confuse having a view on whether LJ will be a success with wanting him to be a success and whether he should be supported - of course he should be.

Archived