IGNORED

We are worse under Johnson....

Andy082005

5 minutes ago, Robin1988 said:

No absolutely the same. It's always been there and always will. People digging up threads from years ago to turn it into a dick-measuring contest.

That is the nature of the beast and why people should be more thoughtful and objective when posting, it might come back to bite you in the arse and if anybody does make an ill advised/judged comment, why is it dick measuring to remind them?, more like having the measure of a dick I would say, just ask RobboRed.

14 hours ago, NickJ said:

Ignore knee jerk reactions to short term results, here is the real issue.

In time, LJ will eventually (A) take us up, (B) take us down, or (C) be sacked.

Is there anyone who seriously believes it will be (A)?

I don't, but neither would I seriously believe it would be (A) for any of the realistic candidates.

12 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

The Charlton and Ipswich games were still Pembo's selections/tactics..so 2 wins and 3 defeats from his first 5....

That's weird, if he kept the same team Bobby Reid looked a lot like Joe Bryan for the Ipswich game. And you'd think if he agreed a deal at Charlton, he'd have spent the week training them for the Ipswich game.

But I bow to your superior knowledge.

59 minutes ago, Esmond Million's Bung said:

Nice re writing of history, actually under Pemberton and Elliott it was 7 points from 4 games and not in the bottom 3.

You are however correct about judging a manager in such a short period of time, but perhaps just perhaps Pemberton and Elliott should have been left in place until the end of the season.

Stats can be confusing of course they can for instance, 3 wins and 3 draws looks ok but 3 defeats in the last 4 games doesn't look quite so good and defeat on Saturday will look even worse of course.

I'm not writing history at all actually. I'm referring to the teams form, under the final 6 games of SC reign. His team, his squad.

2 hours ago, Moor2Sea said:

Well-known, in whatever realm, that a team takes on the character of its manager. Warnock or Lee?

I know which I'd prefer in a gloves-off relegation battle. 

We are where we are though. At least the outcome will likely put to bed the pro/anti Warnock debate. Always been in the pro-Warnock camp but nothing will make me happier than to be proven wrong and that Lee turns out an inspired choice.

Meanwhile this *******ing striker that we've been trying to get since last April. Any news? 

Really looking forward to the trip to London. Is going to be really interesting to see how Lee gets the team to out score Fulham in the goal fest. 

Let's be honest , there are no certainties in football, we could have Warnock , Mourinho or Gardiola in charge and they could be either a good or a bad fit .

If football was so clear cut there would be no interest at all .

i'm gutted about last night and think we'll get royally stuffed at Craven Cottage against a freescoring side who can't defend but then won't have to against our powderpuff attack force .

The beauty of the game is that equally we could blast Fulham out of the water however unlikely that seems is it more unlikely than Rotherham winning three games in the trot when they seemed doomed? 

By far my major concern with the appointment of L J was his lack of experience, not only at this level but a lack of experience period. He may be the right man at the wrong time.

We are in a battle here and we can't rely on the teams below us continuing to lose , Rotherham have proved that and don't discount Charlton going on a run.

Saturday was very worrying and although I was not there last night it does not look like it was much better. I cannot fault the effort of the players on any occasion this season but I do question the desire sometimes.

L J has , in the past few weeks , seemed to think that the fight was over and we were safe, I have a suspicion that is message he also giving the players - a look at the table and the respective fixtures of the clubs involved show that is not the case.

I think we are looking at needing to beat both Bolton and Rotherham in two very high pressure nervy matches and as we all know it won't be pretty and will need a calm strength of purpose. I anticipate two very tense encounters that may well shape our season and  our future over the next few seasons - it is impossible to over estimate how important it is that we stay in this league and we are relying on a novice head coach to deliver.

Hero or zero springs to mind.

14 hours ago, Cardy said:

This isn't Johnson's fault FFS. Only one man to blame - Mr Lansdown will get what he deserves & possibly wants. A Premiership rugby team & a cheap little football team. He can stick his posh rugby stadium up his arse if we get relegated.

I too became tired and emotional,  after my first half pint of lager shandy.  When u sober up you'll be embarrassed by your unreasoned and preposterous statement………..But don't blame yourself?

2 hours ago, Alessandro said:

As an aside, I just cannot believe how quickly the anti LJ brigade have come out the woodwork with such vitriol.

6 games in. Crazy, absolutely crazy. People complain about loyalty and 'short-termism' in football, well I think football fans are slowly becoming some of the worst culprits in the game.

Tend to agree…social media has made experts of us all…….unfortunately mainly scattered and superficial thinkers.  Somebody once said "To be everywhere is to be nowhere"  Not sure if it was Plato or Mick Jagger?

22 minutes ago, Robin1988 said:

That's weird, if he kept the same team Bobby Reid looked a lot like Joe Bryan for the Ipswich game. And you'd think if he agreed a deal at Charlton, he'd have spent the week training them for the Ipswich game.

But I bow to your superior knowledge.

No real need for a sarcastic reply like that - we are all fans of the same club on here.

Don't understand your reference to Bobby/Joe - nowhere did I say 'he' kept the same team...

1 minute ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Yes, and nowhere did I say he kept the same team...

Given that we had barely more than 18 fit players at LJ's arrival, it's not like he had any choice. He still changed the team though, and it wasn't Pembertons team from the week before that beat Ipswich. 

I really dont  understand why you are trying so hard to take it away from Johnson.

14 hours ago, Full nelson said:

If not next season then defiantly the season after when they will go up automatically with the league merger. 

A cursory look about this and I cannot find anything; was it tongue in cheek or are there changes afoot with promotion in Rugby?

24 minutes ago, ScottishRed said:

I think we are looking at needing to beat both Bolton and Rotherham in two very high pressure nervy matches and as we all know it won't be pretty and will need a calm strength of purpose. I anticipate two very tense encounters that may well shape our season and  our future over the next few seasons - it is impossible to over estimate how important it is that we stay in this league and we are relying on a novice head coach to deliver.

Hero or zero springs to mind.

All depends on how we do in other matches. I think we will lose to Rotherham because Warnock is a wily old fox and will simply outdo Little Lee. We will get at least a point against Bolton and I fully expect us to get something, perhaps not a win, from Fulham. If we lose all three of those then we will probably be so emotionally damaged that we will be all but down anyway.

I still think we will stay up; always said so regardless of who is in charge. 48 points is still my predicted safety threshold.

15 hours ago, glos old boy said:

Doomsday...... Bristol City v Rotherham

Doomsday sums it up can LJ motivate our team to beat Rotherham or can Neil Warnock motivate his team. I think we are in the last chance saloon. Bolton and Charlton look gone its between us MK and Rotherham, now i'm worried by Warnock.

1 hour ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

The Charlton and Ipswich games were still Pembo's selections/tactics..so 2 wins and 3 defeats from his first 5....

Considering LJ specifically instructed Frweman to whip the corners in with much more pace than normal I think you can definitely attribute the win to him. 

1 hour ago, Esmond Million's Bung said:

Don't try to make this an LJ thing it is no different to when SC got the job and would be the same if Jesus Christ got the job.

in fact NickJ called it correct the only sure thing is LJ will be sacked one day and he may or may not save us from relegation, he may take us to the next level and he may totally screw up, but he will be sacked one day.

It's not me making it an LJ thing.

Read the title of the thread!

28 minutes ago, Redtucks said:

It's not me making it an LJ thing.

Read the title of the thread!

I did read the title of the thread and I then I read your post and I replied to your post, LJ is the manager/head coach of a football team, some people rate him, some people don't, some people are prepared to give him a chance and some are not but the vast majority of people of which I am one, will judge him on firstly keeping us up and secondly how next season pans out if he does keep us up, that makes him pretty much the same as every professional manager/head coach in the world.

6 hours ago, Frenchay Red said:

I'm sure I recall your view that if we changed the manager and system then we have the players to be a mid table team. Incompetence as you put it comes from lack of concentration which comes from lack of confidence which comes from the manager. We looked solid under Pembo, but as SL's "right fit for the club" puts more of his mark on the team we seem to be going in the wrong direction. Hope I'm wrong, but not feeling confident.

So a mistake by the keeper comes from a lack of confidence in the manager? Seriously? I'm lost for words if you think that...

Without that mistake we would have drawn....a good result at Wolves.

The reactions on here are hilarious...I really can't comprehend how people think a new manager will come in and all of a sudden make us a promotion winning team.

Since SC left our points won has been better on average.

Korey Smith is injured...so is Ayling... Little struggles...and we have a new RB trying to get match fit.

Were we outplayed at Wolves? Did we concede a bag of goals? No...we played like an average Championship team...yes we lost...but look at the results in this league...they are all over the place. Anyone can beat anyone. Leeds at Cardiff the same night...

Yes...I do believe we have players here that when fully fit could be mid table. But we will struggle to achieve if injuries keep happening, because of the lack of numbers...hardly LJ's fault.

Anyone that thinks a new manager would be able to come here and keep winning games is delusional...it was never going to happen.

We don't have the numbers or quality to do that...avoid relegation?...hopefully...but the situation we find ourselves in, is purely down to the summer lack of recruitment and lack of points under SC.

A reality check is needed imo.

4 minutes ago, spudski said:

So a mistake by the keeper comes from a lack of confidence in the manager? Seriously? I'm lost for words if you think that...

Without that mistake we would have drawn....a good result at Wolves.

The reactions on here are hilarious...I really can't comprehend how people think a new manager will come in and all of a sudden make us a promotion winning team.

Since SC left our points won has been better on average.

Korey Smith is injured...so is Ayling... Little struggles...and we have a new RB trying to get match fit.

Were we outplayed at Wolves? Did we concede a bag of goals? No...we played like an average Championship team...yes we lost...but look at the results in this league...they are all over the place. Anyone can beat anyone. Leeds at Cardiff the same night...

Yes...I do believe we have players here that when fully fit could be mid table. But we will struggle to achieve if injuries keep happening, because of the lack of numbers...hardly LJ's fault.

Anyone that thinks a new manager would be able to come here and keep winning games is delusional...it was never going to happen.

We don't have the numbers or quality to do that...avoid relegation?...hopefully...but the situation we find ourselves in, is purely down to the summer lack of recruitment and lack of points under SC.

A reality check is needed imo.

I agree with all of that but I have to say his anger about Wolves sportsmanship for their winning goal is as misplaced as the excuses that angered you and others when uttered by SC, he would have been better off IMHO saying "the players are angry, but we switched off, were unprofessional and should have defended better and I will be addressing that this week".

2 minutes ago, Esmond Million's Bung said:

I agree with all of that but I have to say his anger about Wolves sportsmanship for their winning goal is as misplaced as the excuses that angered you and others when uttered by SC, he would have been better off IMHO saying "the players are angry, but we switched off, were unprofessional and should have defended better and I will be addressing that this week".

I agree...but typically, certain fans are picking up on that one quote...he also made some very valid points about players not playing to instruction etc.

I'm getting a bit tired of comparing managers...it's all tit for tat.

What SC and SoD did in the past has gone...the pro's and con's leave us where we are now.

All we can do is hope we stay up.

I'll judge LJ and the club next season.

If we go down...I won't blame LJ....I'll blame the farce of a summer and results from the majority of this season.

50 minutes ago, Esmond Million's Bung said:

I did read the title of the thread and I then I read your post and I replied to your post, LJ is the manager/head coach of a football team, some people rate him, some people don't, some people are prepared to give him a chance and some are not but the vast majority of people of which I am one, will judge him on firstly keeping us up and secondly how next season pans out if he does keep us up, that makes him pretty much the same as every professional manager/head coach in the world.

I don't disagree with any of that.

As you said "some people are prepared to give him a chance and some are not",

What I don't understand is why some people are not prepared to give him a chance.

That is why I said "I'm not convinced that everyone on here want's LJ to succeed."

8 minutes ago, BCFC Jordan said:

I will blame the board.

Not sure the board had anything to do with our keepers mistake last night. Easy to blame the board, the idiot that pours millions into City lets hope he doesnt take his ball home for quite a few years. 

1 minute ago, shelts said:

Not sure the board had anything to do with our keepers mistake last night. Easy to blame the board, the idiot that pours millions into City lets hope he doesnt take his ball home for quite a few years. 

There's no question of SL's financial backing and his willingness for the club to do well. However, time after time the board (not just SL) prove that they aren't competent enough for us to be able to compete at Championship level. Whether we have an experienced manager or one with lots of potential - they all end up going down the same route. It's not a coincidence, the responsibility is with those at the top.

Failure to back one of the best managers we've had last summer, at a time when we had so much momentum, could result in relegation. It'd be a disaster but we've brought it upon ourselves through bad decision-making.

I don't want SL to leave the club - he has the best interests for us at heart. But we just seem to repeat the same mistakes again and again. This time last year SC was leading us to a league title and two trophies - a record breaking season. We did not back him in the summer and now there's a real possibility we could be playing Rovers next season. LJ has been thrown in at the deep end.

Archived