IGNORED

We are worse under Johnson....

Andy082005

1 hour ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

A pro footballer has to be told how to take a corner?! Dear God!

Really? From where did you get this priceless snippet?

I think it's pretty obvious why LJ decided to change our tactics at corners. You only have to look at how many goals we 'didn't' score when floating balls for Flint and Baker to attack. Defenders had time to grapple and hold Flint ( we have all seen it, how's Refs don't is beyond me!) down. But, when you whip a ball in with pace and start to attack the ball instead of ( previously) waiting it is much harder for a defender to hold the likes of Flint back.

The proof has come from the goals Flint has recently got from corners. 

1 hour ago, bris red said:

Mate Lansdown is seen as the messiah by some. I just dont buy it. The guy isnt't very good at running our football club, if we look back at the amount of fo0k ups we have had in the last decade or so how anyone can argue otherwise baffles me.

I also dont buy the he's pumped millions of his OWN money into the club either, its bollox. He's as cute as they come and there is no way in hell that his personal fortunes have or will have at any point be put at risk. 

Are you serious mate? What about the £35million debt he wrote off in 2014? Steve has backed this club to the hilt with his own fortune. 

And with the club losing money, how do you think the development of Ashton Gate is being paid for?

9 minutes ago, Alessandro said:

Are you serious mate? What about the £35million debt he wrote off in 2014? Steve has backed this club to the hilt with his own fortune. 

And with the club losing money, how do you think the development of Ashton Gate is being paid for?

Would that be the same £35m  debt he created himself?

9 minutes ago, Andy082005 said:

Would that be the same £35m  debt he created himself?

Debt he created himself?! How is that exactly??

1. Football clubs cost money to run. Football clubs LOSE money unless you play in the top leagues and have that TV revenue.

2. Under SL, we were 1 goal, 1 goal away from the 'holy grail'. Remember? The debt built quickly as he looked to back following managers and build on that momentum. 

That's football.

Quick question, what do you think Bolton would call someone who walked in and gave them £35 million tomorrow?

A Messiah.

2 minutes ago, EstoniaTallinnRed said:

And probably written off as a Tax loss!

Turned into shares and bought back by himself.

Of course SL will do some creative accounting, they all do. But to say he hasn't put his own money directly into the club, or question his financial commitment to BCFC is just plain wrong.

1 hour ago, Alessandro said:

I take it that the 35 million he wrote off was money we lost whilst he was overseeing the day to day finances of this club?

8 minutes ago, Alan Dicks said:

I take it that the 35 million he wrote off was money we lost whilst he was overseeing the day to day finances of this club?

See my earlier reply to a similar response. I'm not going to write it again.

If SL doesn't get in a 'top manager' he is taking the "cheap option".

If SL doesn't back the manager financially he "isn't showing ambition".

If SL backs the manager financially "we've signed the wrong players" which is also his fault.

When SL does back the manager "he is creating debt'.

When SL wipes off the debt "it was his own fault anyway".

TBH it just seems with too many people, maybe you're one of them, I don't know, SL is damned if his does, and damned if his doesn't.

What would you have him do differently, Alan? 

2 hours ago, NickJ said:

I know the answers. That's why I feel Bris Red's points are valid to a degree.

A very small degree………if its not his own money, (which are the profits from an extremely successful business) then where is the magical money tree that it comes from?

11 minutes ago, Roger Red Hat said:

I'm fully awake Don't patronise.

Here's some news, fella. They aren't.

Zac Clough.

Reading between the lines of some posters who know a bit about that deal, money was exactly why he didn't come. Murmurs that he wanted a contract that would make him our highest earner.

I believe, as per that newspaper article, his initial reaction was a definite no. He came down (either out of courtesy or maybe to push other clubs to make a bid) and was actually impressed with what he heard (going on things his dad said on Twitter at the time) but wanted a lot of cash to make the move he thought, ultimately, he was too good for right now.

I think he, and his agent, thought coming down here would force the hand of Boro/Everton/Leeds and other 'bigger' supposedly interested clubs.

3 hours ago, bs3 said:

No one is saying it is LJ fault but its the luck/mistakes that got Cotts the sack.

We don't seem have moved on from poor finishing and individual mistakes that have cost us ALL season.

Well, the thread's title seems to suggest some are saying its LJs fault!

I can't believe the ove-reaction to last nights result. If we had come back from Wolves with a point then I'd suggest that the general view would have been a decent result and signs that we are getting back on track. The fact that we didn't was down to a sequence of events,

1. Wolves deliberately get an unfair advantage from a drop ball

2. The ref awards a dubious free kick: high foot by Pack, but only because the Wolves player ducked into it

3. Keeper error as he fails to connect with what should have been a straightforward punch

and that suddenly means, according to some on here, that we are doomed.

Bit of perspective...

3rd best form in Championship over last 5 games away... http://www.flashscore.com/match/GfTHc4SF/#standings;form;away;5

and 17th overall in last 5 games... http://www.flashscore.com/match/GfTHc4SF/#standings;form;overall;5

Better than Fulham overall...so hopefully a win there.

This thread really has lost the plot imo...I really don't understand how people think we could be doing any better, given the position we were in when LJ took over, the squad size, injuries and quality.

19 minutes ago, maxjak said:

A very small degree………if its not his own money, (which are the profits from an extremely successful business) then where is the magical money tree that it comes from?

Unfortunately you're fighting a losing battle.

There are some people on here who are so blinkered by suspicions, conspiracies, false accountability and some backward sense of entitlement that they can no longer see the wood from the trees, regardless of fact.

Talk sense to a fool and he calls you foolish.

6 minutes ago, Alessandro said:

Unfortunately you're fighting a losing battle.

There are some people on here who are so blinkered by suspicions, conspiracies, false accountability and some backward sense of entitlement that they can no longer see the wood from the trees, regardless of fact.

Talk sense to a fool and he calls you foolish.

"wood for the trees" please

2 hours ago, Alessandro said:

R.E this and the post @Nogbad the Bad you are replying to, I won't sit on the fence with any kind of "A. He might do this B. he might do that C. I'll cover my arse whatever" chat.

It is 100% my opinion that SC would not have taken us to another level or that he was capable of producing a new exciting 'brand' of football that BCFC could be renown for. Yes in League one he did, but it was not working in the Championship. I think people must be distracted by that promotion year, or maybe their memory deceives them, because this season under SC we won 4 GAMES in 26 matches. With a goal difference of MINUS 23. Some brand of football, that.

You're also very quick to say LJ doesn't have the experience to move us on. Well what was it in SC's experience to give us hope?

Did you ever read his championship record? He did not progress (league position wise) any of the teams he managed. Was it the promotions at Burnley, no sorry 34% win ratio. Or at Portsmouth, no 29% win ratio. What about Forest, ah 32% win ratio. 

The only thing SC has ever achieved are lower league promotions and trophies. 6 to be precise in 18 years of management. This coupled with our dismal form proves to me SC wouldn't have taken us anywhere but backwards.

LJ? Who knows. But I will say one thing, sometimes you need to take a punt on a manager. Roberto Martinez, Eddie Howe. All had no record. And I would also disagree that the 'consensus' is LJ will take us down. In fact i'd say the consensus is many are positive, and WILLING TO GIVE HIM A CHANCE. Perhaps not to judge after 6 games? And perhaps not judge him on the previous managers squad?!

Under LJ we've picked up some massive points, great performances at home to Ipswich and away to MK Dons. He got his tactics and substitutions bang on those days. A very good Brighton team turned us over, and the loss of our player of the season, don't forget, has effected the last two defeats. A huge mistake cost us a decent point at Wolves, not LJ's fault.

Eitherway, I believe we are at least 6 points better off at this stage having sacked SC, lose those and we be dead and buried. As happens, we're not yet. So maybe get behind the team and manager?

I'm not going to comment on your SC comments as you are obviously fixated on running down a manager who is no longer here. I think he would have turned the corner, you don't think he would, pointless going into further detail.

As for LJ, where do I say he doesn't have the experience - putting words in my mouth, those are your words not mine. Although you are right of course.

You confuse "getting behind the team and the manager" with having an opinion on where the manager will take us.

You also confuse WILLING TO GIVE HIM A CHANCE and "judge after 6 games" - I haven't and nowhere have I judged his record so far, try reading my post again - with what I think will happen in the longer term.

My point is, and nobody has disagreed with this, I think it is very unlikely that LJ will get us promoted to the Premier.

Therefore, given that Lansdown says he expects us to be challenging for promotion to the Premier next season, there is no logic to LJ's appointment, unless Lansdown is alone in thinking LJ can do that.

11 minutes ago, spudski said:

Bit of perspective...

3rd best form in Championship over last 5 games away... http://www.flashscore.com/match/GfTHc4SF/#standings;form;away;5

and 17th overall in last 5 games... http://www.flashscore.com/match/GfTHc4SF/#standings;form;overall;5

Better than Fulham overall...so hopefully a win there.

This thread really has lost the plot imo...I really don't understand how people think we could be doing any better, given the position we were in when LJ took over, the squad size, injuries and quality.

It's an eight point cushion whittled down to two, spud, in four days. A nasty shock, a rude awakening, a wake up call, thoroughly deflating. No one likes having their cushion swiped from under them. Oh, and our GD is decisively worse than Rotherham's and MK's

5 minutes ago, Jack Dawe said:

It's an eight point cushion whittled down to two, spud, in four days. A nasty shock, a rude awakening, a wake up call, thoroughly deflating. No one likes having their cushion swiped from under them. Oh, and our GD is decisively worse than Rotherham's and MK's

Our GD has been awful all season fella...we've conceded far less goals since SC left.

Our form overall is that of 17th place in the last five games...teams below have caught up.

A few games ago people thought we were safe...a couple losses...it's all grim again. What happens if we win our next two? All fine again?

It's ridiculous how people think on this forum mate...they fail to see the bigger picture, and think by changing the manager a miracle is going to happen.

We are in the position we are in, because of a lack of recruitment and SC only gaining 4 wins in 26 games...a small squad, injuries and mounting pressure.

All of a sudden it's LJ's fault!

People are delusional if they think any manager could come in a wave a magic wand and produce promotion type form with what we have.

It's an awful situation to be in...but it is what it is...not because of LJ...but because of prior mismanagement from all parts of the club.

Blaming people in position now is fruitless...what good will it do?

We could go down quiet possibly...but no way should LJ get the blame...or any manager that was here instead of him.

This season has been all balls up since the end of last season.

16 minutes ago, NickJ said:

I'm not going to comment on your SC comments as you are obviously fixated on running down a manager who is no longer here. I think he would have turned the corner, you don't think he would, pointless going into further detail.

As for LJ, where do I say he doesn't have the experience - putting words in my mouth, those are your words not mine. Although you are right of course.

You confuse "getting behind the team and the manager" with having an opinion on where the manager will take us.

You also confuse WILLING TO GIVE HIM A CHANCE and "judge after 6 games" - I haven't and nowhere have I judged his record so far, try reading my post again - with what I think will happen in the longer term.

My point is, and nobody has disagreed with this, I think it is very unlikely that LJ will get us promoted to the Premier.

Therefore, given that Lansdown says he expects us to be challenging for promotion to the Premier next season, there is no logic to LJ's appointment, unless Lansdown is alone in thinking LJ can do that.

Not fixated on running down SC at all. No more than you are fixated with criticising SL. I'm offering an opinion based upon his track record, results and our progression (or lack of, 4 wins in 27 or whatever) under him this season that SC would not have taken us forward, just as he failed to at the three other championship clubs he managed.

You on the other hand think he would have turned a corner based upon nothing more than 'gut feeling'.

I'd rather not rely on gut feelings, so yes you're right, we won't agree on this.

You're also slightly contradicting yourself here Nick, yes you say you haven't judged his record and yet you've already made your mind up that he won't be a success at BCFC? 

SL et al would have decided LJ was the best option to take us forward, to help the club progress towards the ultimate aim of promotion to the premiership, be it with LJ or another manager, in 2 or 5 or 10 years time. The board have said they want us to challenge for promotion, not they expect to achieve it.

Seems logical to me, they believe he will take us forward. But no, the board are illogical because NickJ thinks LJ won't get us promoted next season. Who knows,  I'll tell you what, i'll put a bet on with you that 87% of championship managers won't win promotion next year.

8 minutes ago, spudski said:

Blaming people in position now is fruitless...what good will it do?

It provides temporary relief, spud, from unwelcome, horrible feelings - like bitter disappointment, utter frustration, despair* - blaming someone, and coming on here moaning. It's an outlet, Otib. Better out than in. Don't bottle it up.

Thing is, once you've done that, it's best to log off out of this, try and forget about it and go and do something different, something positive, uplifting. But no, we continue to browse, arguing our point, standing our ground, ruminating, fulminating, obsessing, getting bogged down, feeling worse, and so on it goes.

Who invented this thing?

*whilst trying to keep things in perspective, something we often, temporarily, forget to do.

6 minutes ago, Jack Dawe said:

It provides temporary relief, spud, from unwelcome, horrible feelings - like bitter disappointment, utter frustration, despair* - blaming someone, and coming on here moaning. It's an outlet, Otib. Better out than in. Don't bottle it up.

Thing is, once you've done that, it's best to log off out of this, try and forget about it and go and do something different, something positive, uplifting. But no, we continue to browse, arguing our point, standing our ground, ruminating, fulminating, obsessing, getting bogged down, feeling worse, and so on it goes.

Who invented this thing?

*whilst trying to keep things in perspective, something we often, temporarily, forget to do.

I agree...it's a way of letting off steam...but in all honesty, some need a check up from the neck up...some total crap being spouted on here.

The fact someone believes LJ won't take us up...and that because no forum member has come forward and disagreed with this statement , they then believe SL has made a mistake and that he alone has faith in LJ!!! The logic...seriously delusional...like people in the game are going to listen to a bunch of forum members for advice! I ask you...completely bonkers.

2 minutes ago, spudski said:

I agree...it's a way of letting off steam...but in all honesty, some need a check up from the neck up...some total crap being spouted on here.

The fact someone believes LJ won't take us up...and that because no forum member has come forward and disagreed with this statement , they then believe SL has made a mistake and that he alone has faith in LJ!!! The logic...seriously delusional...like people in the game are going to listen to a bunch of forum members for advice! I ask you...completely bonkers.

Thank you Spud, words right out of my mouth. 

3 minutes ago, spudski said:

Spud, we're all deluded. If you think others are deluded but you're not, then you're deluded mate.  

4 minutes ago, Jack Dawe said:

Spud, we're all deluded. If you think others are deluded but you're not, then you're deluded mate.  

Not sure I agree with you on that front fella...there are some very rational people on this forum, who see things for what they are.

Some are more deluded than others I'll agree with though ;-)

I'll put you down as one of the more rational, in a Kofi Annan type of way...OTIB's finest diplomat ;-)

5 minutes ago, spudski said:

Not sure I agree with you on that front fella...there are some very rational people on this forum, who see things for what they are.

Some are more deluded than others I'll agree with though ;-)

I'll put you down as one of the more rational, in a Kofi Annan type of way...OTIB's finest diplomat ;-)

:thumbsup:

Archived