IGNORED

Away kit: NOW RELEASED (Merged)

JonnyLondonRob

3 hours ago, City169 said:

Any kit the club makes will annoy some fans. In fact I can't remember the last time the club did something without there being a minority that posted their issues with it. In the case of a blue kit it will probably be a bigger number of fans annoyed, but if it's a nice kit I think most will get over it. We were the first club in Bristol to wear blue, we wore blue in our only FA Cup final.

That is true in a way, but not regarding shirts.

Bristol South End sported blue socks and shorts, but crucially along with the red shirt, in it's first season in 1894-95.

From becoming Bristol City in 1897 the club continued to wear red shirts and have done every season since without exception, with no blue socks or shorts.

As I said earlier Rovers wore sky blue hoops for a brief period, 1897 -1900.

In 1909 City wore red shirts, Rovers wore black and white stripes and were certainly not associated with blue at that time.

Hence City chose blue (after Man .Utd had chosen white) when both clubs were ordered by the FA to change from their normal red for the final.

Basically, the 1909 cup final was an enforced one off at a time before blue became Bristol Rovers accepted colour, and is therefore completely irrelevant to current discussions imo..

11 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

Basically, the 1909 cup final was an enforced one off at a time before blue became Bristol Rovers accepted colour, and is therefore completely irrelevant to current discussions imo..

Why? We could have been forced to wear elephant costumes and it would have still been a part of the biggest match in our history.

43 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

That is true in a way, but not regarding shirts.

Bristol South End sported blue socks and shorts, but crucially along with the red shirt, in it's first season in 1894-95.

From becoming Bristol City in 1897 the club continued to wear red shirts and have done every season since without exception, with no blue socks or shorts.

As I said earlier Rovers wore sky blue hoops for a brief period, 1897 -1900.

In 1909 City wore red shirts, Rovers wore black and white stripes and were certainly not associated with blue at that time.

Hence City chose blue (after Man .Utd had chosen white) when both clubs were ordered by the FA to change from their normal red for the final.

Regardless of the why, blue is still the colour worn in arguably the biggest game the club has ever played in. It's a part of our history.

• Admin
35 minutes ago, Robin1988 said:

Why? We could have been forced to wear elephant costumes and it would have still been a part of the biggest match in our history.

I get your point, but wouldn't call it the biggest match in our history 

1 hour ago, Sixtyseconds said:

Obviously not one of Bristol Robs blue shirt enforcers then super?

For people not bovvered they are coming over like they would they would tie people to trees to get Bristol City in blue.

1 hour ago, Sixtyseconds said:

Bit hard to shut your eyes If City were in it.

I would throw the radio at the Wall at a "And its City in their blue shirts in attack .."

It is dirty.

But not as dirty as those are pushing hard for blue.

Very hard.

Can't help but think they once peddled their arse on the Tote.

No one on here is "pushing" for a blue kit. Just pointing out it isn't anywhere near as awful as the doom and gloom ears want to make it seem.

48 minutes ago, City169 said:

No one on here is "pushing" for a blue kit. Just pointing out it isn't anywhere near as awful as the doom and gloom ears want to make it seem.

Bottom line - if there is any blue anywhere in the strip there are some supporters who will be offended an accuse the club of insensitivity........:facepalm:

8 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Bottom line - if there is any blue anywhere in the strip there are some supporters who will be offended an accuse the club of insensitivity........:facepalm:

Bottom line - which is very precious of them. It's a colour. I hope none of them write to the club expressing their distaste with a blue pen!

I remember a fight outside the Orchard after Brighton (h) some years ago. Some brave City boy lumped a defenceless and totally innocent Brighton fan in colours because he "didn't like blue". Some while later, said City "fan" got picked up by his mum in a purple metro. All whilst he was wearing his jeans (blue) and daps (also blue). 

The moral of the story: if you actually HATE a colour you are an idiot. Anyone on here who says they couldn't abide a Bristol Blue away shirt presumably doesn't own ANYTHING blue I hope. 

12 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

All those in favour of a blue City away shirt.

Which one of you would be willing to start the chant of, 'Come on you Blues' the first time they are worn? :dunno:

Did we sing come on you purple and limes when we wore that kit? Don't think that's a valid argument really. (I'd would rather yellow or p&l again) 

7 minutes ago, streety_bcfc said:

Did we sing come on you purple and limes when we wore that kit? Don't think that's a valid argument really. (I'd would rather yellow or p&l again) 

It's a very valid argument.

Just like we sang, 'Come on you Yellows' when we had a yellow away kit. Same with white.

Anyone who advocates a blue shirt for City must be willing to bellow out, 'Come on you Blues.'

I'm just wondering who amongst those in favour is going to step forward and state they would be happy to actually start that chant off?

4 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

Just like we sang, 'Come on you Yellows' when we had a yellow away kit. Same with white.

Anyone who advocates a blue shirt for City must be willing to bellow out, 'Come on you Blues.'

I'm just wondering who amongst those in favour is going to step forward and state they would be happy to actually start that chant off?

Again, as I replied to sixtyseconds, no one is advocating having a blue shirt, just saying to you and the others that it's not turning away from our history as some suggested. 

I'd prefer other colours to blue, and rather it wasn't blue, but as said before, unless we were promoted/won a cup/got to the playoffs, it would soon just be seen as an away kit we had once.

4 minutes ago, City169 said:

Again, as I replied to sixtyseconds, no one is advocating having a blue shirt, just saying to you and the others that it's not turning away from our history as some suggested. 

I'd prefer other colours to blue, and rather it wasn't blue, but as said before, unless we were promoted/won a cup/got to the playoffs, it would soon just be seen as an away kit we had once.

Yes, they are actually.

Some are actively saying they'd like to see City in a blue away shirt, others are saying they'd have no problem with it.

If you're not advocating it perhaps leave the reply to my question above to someone who is?

5 hours ago, Robin Ashton said:

If I wanted to support a team that wore blue I'd support the Gas or Bristol rugby team, but I don't particularly like blue, and I don't like the Gas and I don't like rugby!

So if we historically wore blue and Rovers red you would today be a Rovers fan, because you choose your team and loyalties based on a colour and nothing else ? Not shallow at all...

9 minutes ago, Fiale said:

So if we historically wore blue and Rovers red you would today be a Rovers fan, because you choose your team and loyalties based on a colour and nothing else ? Not shallow at all...

I've never actually lived in Bristol. It was the nearest place to where I lived when I was a kid that had a league team. I chose City and I've stuck with them ever since, even though I no longer live near Bristol. If that makes me shallow then guilty as charged.

Again, as I replied to sixtyseconds, no one is advocating having a blue shirt ... Yes they are. Some would love a bit of it. Any more glee and they would have to get the Kleenex out.

just saying to you and the others that it's not turning away from our history as some suggested ... Yes it is. Club legends like Saint. Zero tolerance. No blue. City history.

2 hours ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

Not me because it appears that some people are a little touchy on a subject that has no relevance.  We've played in blue, I'm sure we will play in blue again, now if the home shirts changed then that's a different matter but it's an away shirt?  

Norwich look like they will be a force in OUR division this year so playing away in their colours would be preferable to wearing a completely different blue to our supposed rivals, that are in no direct competition, and without the jester quarters?

Don't get it. 

It’s blue and its connection to Bristol football that is the issue. It’s cultural and deep-rooted. We are red, they are blue is as much a statement about the Bristol football scene as Rockers wearing leather jackets and Mods wearing fishtail parkers. Colour and its association to football teams is how we show our allegiance, everyone on this thread agrees that we should always play in red; for many, there is an extension that says we do not play in blue. In the context of our football culture, one that spans generations and all living memory, City playing football wearing blue is the antithesis of playing in red.

I’m fairly confident that no one is saying that jeans must be red, or that casual clothes at matches must have no blue, or that City was the chosen team because it was red. No one is denying that we played in blue in a Cup final over a century ago. At this point, you’ve also not read anyone get shirty about it because it may not materialise, it might just be a marketing ruse to get social media eagerly anticipating the shirt’s release. You’ve just got a lot of City fans who say that our traditions are important, who say that the conventions of Bristol football, and thereby a grudging respect to the “blue few” and their part in our rivalry, matter.

It’s OK if you don’t feel the same way. This doesn’t have to be a right / wrong discussion. It’s OK to have a different opinion and I’m sure we can all agree that it’s OK to respect the opinions of those who feel differently. Fortunately by respecting the tradition of the last 100 years and leaving blue off the away kit, everyone’s a winner.

14 hours ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

For an all blue kit that's a valid argument. But for a kit, say for arguments sake the shirt is mostly yellow but with blue sleeves and maybe the shorts are blue you would sing 'come on you yellows?' Singing the colour seems to come from the main body colour not the sleeves, shorts, socks. So as long as that isn't blue it will be ok?

25 minutes ago, RedM said:

For an all blue kit that's a valid argument. But for a kit, say for arguments sake the shirt is mostly yellow but with blue sleeves and maybe the shorts are blue you would sing 'come on you yellows?' Singing the colour seems to come from the main body colour not the sleeves, shorts, socks. So as long as that isn't blue it will be ok?

But for the sake of this argument some posters were saying they would accept blue shirts, a few others even that they'd welcome them.

The shirt you're describing above sounds similar to the Stoke LDV final shirt, mostly yellow (gold) with blue being a strong secondary colour, which we'll all remember almost nobody was happy with.

You're right though if you're saying totally or predominantly blue shirts would be most unacceptable to many, and the possibility of the chant outlined above would particularly come to the fore in that case, but the overriding point is when you know it's going to lead to ructions why have any blue at all?

Have a look at the colour chart available when you post on here.There are so many colours, and shades of colours, to choose from, with blue, for very obvious reasons, being the only one Bristol City should never consider.

I keep thinking to myself we're making great signings at the moment, we're finally strengthening our squad and look like we might be able to compete in one of the toughest leagues around. Then I think we might be wearing a blue away kit and my heart sinks a little.

Just stick us in a bloody white kit, make the hashtags on our shirt black or whatever and literally no one would bat an eye.

Originally I was just open to the idea of us playing in a navy blue kit and thought it could look quite smart.

Now I'm actually hoping for a navy kit just to see some of these over reacting posters shit the bed, throw all their toys out their prams and watch this thread implode.

Archived