IGNORED

Away kit: NOW RELEASED (Merged)

JonnyLondonRob

5 minutes ago, Red Right Hand said:

How many times would we actually wear a blue away kit though? I think we`d probably wear red a lot more than usual due to clashes which we never had with purple and lime or yellow.

Off the top of my head we would wear blue against Barnsley, Brentford, Forest and Rotherham.

We might have a few more if we are made to change when shorts clash, but at the same time just changing shorts is an option too I believe

17 minutes ago, Milo said:

I know that the home shirt is more connected with our identity than the away shirt and I can see that quite a few posters here are not at all bothered at the prospect of a blue away kit. I have to admit though that I'm surprised that some of you are so vehement that it has no impact on our identity at all. Does purple and lime not instantly link you to Bristol City? If Joe Bryan scores the winner at Old Trafford in the fifth round of the FA Cup (I know, just go with me for a moment) would his celebratory fist pump in a blue shirt not become as iconic as Paul Cheesley's header in a white shirt against Arsenal or David Noble's injury time screamer at Palace in black? If we win the Play Off final at Wembley in a blue shirt won't every Premier League supporter identify us as having a blue away kit? And if Bristol Sport see it as a boost to their identity and it becomes perennial, won't it be more entrenched with each year? Maybe I just see the world differently.

Yes it would and that's why I would like a Royal Blue shirt, OTIB red and blue.

The point about premiership fans is balls too to be honest, if they have that little knowledge of football then I care not one jot about what they think when they watch match of the day.

9 minutes ago, City169 said:

Off the top of my head we would wear blue against Barnsley, Brentford, Forest and Rotherham.

We might have a few more if we are made to change when shorts clash, but at the same time just changing shorts is an option too I believe

Possibly Villa as well but can`t think of too many more. It would have been fun if Cardiff hadn`t changed back though, wearing blue over there!

2 minutes ago, Red Right Hand said:

Possibly Villa as well but can`t think of too many more. It would have been fun if Cardiff hadn`t changed back though, wearing blue over there!

I don't think villa because they have blue on their kit too, they're just a shit Mangotsfield after all

As a side note, 11 clubs in the division have blue as one of the main colours on the kit*, compared to just 5 that have red as a primary colour- including ourselves. 

14 have white as a notable colour on their kit* and 7 of those are teams that play in blue and white home shirts

*for this I am including the sleeve colours as being a main colour, for clubs like Rotherham, Villa and Arsenal the sleeve thing is almost a part of the identity of the club.

So, for maximum exposure of the away kit (which I presume BS would want to promote sales), it would need to be something like black or green. From what you`ve said there are at least 11 where we wouldn`t be allowed to wear it even if we wanted to. Doesn`t make sense when you look at it like that (I`ve got no strong views on blue either way BTW)

36 minutes ago, City169 said:

As a side note, 11 clubs in the division have blue as one of the main colours on the kit*, compared to just 5 that have red as a primary colour- including ourselves. 

14 have white as a notable colour on their kit* and 7 of those are teams that play in blue and white home shirts

*for this I am including the sleeve colours as being a main colour, for clubs like Rotherham, Villa and Arsenal the sleeve thing is almost a part of the identity of the club.

3 minutes ago, Red Right Hand said:

So, for maximum exposure of the away kit (which I presume BS would want to promote sales), it would need to be something like black or green. From what you`ve said there are at least 11 where we wouldn`t be allowed to wear it even if we wanted to. Doesn`t make sense when you look at it like that (I`ve got no strong views on blue either way BTW)

Yeah, I think black would be the best kit colour if exposure is the goal, or one of the fluorescent colours than seem to be popular for the last 10 years or so.

Ive got no strong feelings either way about a blue kit, that was just an objective, yet brief look at where clashes might happen

6 minutes ago, City169 said:

Yeah, I think black would be the best kit colour if exposure is the goal, or one of the fluorescent colours than seem to be popular for the last 10 years or so.

Ive got no strong feelings either way about a blue kit, that was just an objective, yet brief look at where clashes might happen

You made a valid point by doing it though - we`d only wear it approximately 50% of the time which isn`t good marketing IMO.

3 minutes ago, Red Right Hand said:

You made a valid point by doing it though - we`d only wear it approximately 50% of the time which isn`t good marketing IMO.

I'm just a bit unsure on the shorts bit, I know there were times where we wore the home shorts and away shirt because of a clash, but not sure if away shorts and home shirts is allowed, though I can't see what the issue would be. If I knew the details and had time I'd do more in depth, but I'm supposed to be getting ready for a wedding tomorrow and then leaving for a funeral! 

I guess there's a possibility it's clever marketing, knowing a third kit would be needed, potentially getting sales there, but then there is the added manufacturing cost too.

2 hours ago, Milo said:

I know that the home shirt is more connected with our identity than the away shirt and I can see that quite a few posters here are not at all bothered at the prospect of a blue away kit. I have to admit though that I'm surprised that some of you are so vehement that it has no impact on our identity at all. Does purple and lime not instantly link you to Bristol City? If Joe Bryan scores the winner at Old Trafford in the fifth round of the FA Cup (I know, just go with me for a moment) would his celebratory fist pump in a blue shirt not become as iconic as Paul Cheesley's header in a white shirt against Arsenal or David Noble's injury time screamer at Palace in black? If we win the Play Off final at Wembley in a blue shirt won't every Premier League supporter identify us as having a blue away kit? And if Bristol Sport see it as a boost to their identity and it becomes perennial, won't it be more entrenched with each year? Maybe I just see the world differently.

If we win the playoff final playing in blue, I guarantee no one will give a flying **** what colour we played in. 

I know we all have different opinions but I just don't see the fuss! 

13 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

The Wembley kit in 2000 had a lot of navy blue on it, was anyone bothered at the time? Genuine question - I don't remember.

If someone offered you now us winning the play off final in May 2017 wearing a navy blue away shirt, who would seriously turn that down?

image.jpg

There was indeed a huge outcry that City could even have have trace of blue in any strip. At the time the blue few were a far more serious rival than they are now and that may have been a factor in all the fuss.

Fans were accusing the club of insensitivity and there was an angry feeling towards those in charge at AG.

That said we are 16 years down the line and all the people involved in that strip are long gone and that means a similar error of judgment is more likely.

11 hours ago, CyderInACan said:

If we win the playoff final playing in blue, I guarantee no one will give a flying **** what colour we played in. 

I know we all have different opinions but I just don't see the fuss! 

Turn it around, what if we lost the play off final and we were playing in blue......it wouldn't be pretty especially for fans like me living in Rovers territory.

10 minutes ago, sglosbcfc said:

Turn it around, what if we lost the play off final and we were playing in blue......it wouldn't be pretty especially for fans like me living in Rovers territory.

I've seen us lose a playoff final; the colour of our kit mattered not one bit! 

18 minutes ago, sglosbcfc said:

I propose we never wear red again because we lost a playoff final in it

9 hours ago, Robbored said:

There was indeed a huge outcry that City could even have have trace of blue in any strip. At the time the blue few were a far more serious rival than they are now and that may have been a factor in all the fuss.

Fans were accusing the club of insensitivity and there was an angry feeling towards those in charge at AG.

That said we are 16 years down the line and all the people involved in that strip are long gone and that means a similar error of judgment is more likely.

Yes I remember it well, and it's as Robbored says. The thing to remember was that wasn't our away kit that year, but a Special commemorative kit made for us to wear at Wembley, our big day. The club could have had any colour, as long as we didn't clash with Stoke who obviously had won the toss. Our marketing department came up with a kit with a lot of blue in it, and from memory it wasn't the same as Gas blue, but they did wear a darker shade than they do now. So in fact this dark blue was closer the Gas blue than it would appear now. They were a greater rival and many were very upset and insulted set the time, before the days of Internet etc

I wouldn't  be against a dark blue and white kit, mirroring the rugby. And the rugby away mirroring our home kit. My info I had was that the colours in the kit shown above won't be too far away from what was initially discussed. With the yellow (gold) being more prominent than the blue. I don't know if @Dollymarie has seen the same in the mock ups she has seen, or whether she has been able to influence any decision since I heard. I could of course be given a red herring along with the rest of you, just about every colour combo has been labelled as good info.

2 minutes ago, Puckle_red said:

Any colour but blue (that includes Navy), why blue? The Rugby is not a reason, both clubs have their own traditions and the sooner they are respected the better.

Traditionally we have worn blue in every FA Cup final we have been in :whistle:

Or we could just have blue and white battenburg quarters and then at least the Bristol public would see a decent team in a decent ground playing in that kit!! Obviously I jest!!!! 

It can only be my favourite colour combination.... Purple and lime green, just beautiful!

On 7/8/2016 at 10:31, RumRed said:

1909?  We do have history.

1909 BCFC.jpg

City and Man.Utd. both wore Red shirts so to avoid a clash, or any accusation of favouritism, they were both ordered to change for the Final by the F.A.

Man. Utd. chose White, and City chose Blue, as above.

There was no question of the club insulting City fans of the day by wearing Blue because Bristol Rovers played in Black and White stripes at the time.

5 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

City and Man.Utd. both wore Red shirts so to avoid a clash, or any accusation of favouritism, they were both ordered to change for the Final by the F.A.

Man. Utd. chose White, and City chose Blue, as above.

There was no question of the club insulting City fans of the day by wearing Blue because Bristol Rovers played in Black and White stripes at the time.

I understand but, however it occurred, we did wear Royal Blue in the only major final in our clubs history.  Rovers may have been in black and white at the time but had used blue for a number of years a decade or so before so it was associated with them before us at the time.

1. Different Blue by a mile

2. No daft 'quarter's'

3. Is part of our history however that came to occur, and in one of the most important matches in our 'glorious' history.

4. Better than that champagne colour!

Really no issue for me but obviously so for others.

Much as I'd like white, ala Merrick and Gow and Ritchie, from the logic above, why not a black top but instead of the green and purple, a bit of red and white?  It would go with black shorts or red shorts, plus could we use black shorts with home kit if need be?

If you want history, City played in blue a LONG time before Rovers.........1894-1895 !!

bristol_city_1894-1895.gif

I don't get all this "but rovers play in blue" malarky, they also happen to play in away colours that we've used also i.e. Black, Yellow, Green - so are we going to stop having those colours as well??

Archived