IGNORED

Away kit: NOW RELEASED (Merged)

JonnyLondonRob

6 minutes ago, Iron Man said:

It is odd one of our fans want to see us in a blue kit just they can see the reaction.

I said initially that I wanted one because I think it'd look smart. But some of you guys are over reacting massively to the point where I think it'd be quite funny to see your reaction.

You guys just can't look past the Rovers.

Do I want a horrible pale blue? No.

Do I want those disgusting quarters? No.

Would it show Rovers that they mean even less to us than ever and are becoming more and more insignificant? Yes.

Do I think that a dark navy colour that matches Bristol rugby and could not be further from any Bristol Rovers association would look smart? Yes.

Like it or not, Bristol Sport will become a large part of our history, without taking anything away from our identity. We've made significant progress under BS, and our club is currently in the best position it's been in recent times to progress further.

p.s. the argument about the 'come on you blues' chant is the biggest load of bollocks I've seen on here for a while.

4 minutes ago, Griffin said:

I actually want one, matching the rugby's theme. 

I'm not one bit interested in Rugby but am absolutely fine about Bristol RFC sharing AG.

That's as far as it goes.

Bristol City FC must remain a completely separate entity, and I'm sure the Rugby supporters, quite rightly, feel the same about their club.

There's no reason at all for the 2 to overlap.

5 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

I'm not one bit interested in Rugby but am absolutely fine about Bristol RFC sharing AG.

That's as far as it goes.

Bristol City FC must remain a completely separate entity, and I'm sure the Rugby supporters, quite rightly, feel the same about their club.

There's no reason at all for the 2 to overlap.

It seems like double standards to me, willing to take everything from SL/BS but not accept their changes.

2 hours ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

But for the sake of this argument some posters were saying they would accept blue shirts, a few others even that they'd welcome them.

I would accept it. And I can't imagine a time where we'd need to sing come on you blues. We've sung come on you reds in our away kit in the last few years. So while it would be a problem if we were forced to sing about our away kit, fortunately we aren't, so it isn't.

9 minutes ago, Robin1988 said:

I would accept it. And I can't imagine a time where we'd need to sing come on you blues. We've sung come on you reds in our away kit in the last few years. So while it would be a problem if we were forced to sing about our away kit, fortunately we aren't, so it isn't.

Have we indeed?

At Forest, Barnsley, Middlebro', Brentford, Rotherham, Charlton etc?

We'd have looked pretty stupid if we did.

And no, we're not forced to sing about our away kit, but, but people do, and it surely says something if City fans would be embarrassed to do so.

• Admin
4 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

Have we indeed?

And no, we're not forced to sing about our away kit, but, but people do, and it surely says something if City fans would be embarrassed to do so.

Yeah we've often sung that at these grounds - can remember at the time thinking, hang on a minute !

Have we indeed?

It may shock you to hear it wasn't every week. Because, as you helpfully point out, it could have caused some confusion.

Conversely I can't remember hearing chants of come on you whites, blacks, purples or yellows since I've been following us away for ~12 years. If there has been I may have misheard, but I'm not so sure.

• Admin
37 minutes ago, Griffin said:

I actually want one, matching the rugby's theme. 

That is a whole other can of worms

When the news of the away kit was discussed, there were also comments that the rugby may be chaning their home colours too - anyone that can remember what happened when Bristol messed around with their kit a few years ago will understand why that never happened

I would expect both clubs to keep the home identity, and to share a change strip design

4 minutes ago, Robin1988 said:

It may shock you to hear it wasn't every week. Because, as you helpfully point out, it could have caused some confusion.

Well, as phantom has pointed out, when it happened it did.

Some people don't think straight and don't mind looking foolish or embarrassing themselves, their fellow fans, or the club.

Hence I've no doubt there would be inebriated takers for 'Come on you Blues', even if they just thought it was 'funny' or would wind up fellow fans.

I find it more than a bit strange there is one fan on here who would accept City playing in a blue shirt.

I don't know a single City fan in 'real life' who would not be vehemently against it. 

6 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

I don't know a single City fan in 'real life' who would not be vehemently against it. 

Well, admittedly you don't know me, but I am a fan in 'real life' (I think - hang on a minute (bangs head on desk) - yes it appears to be reality) and far from being vehemently against it, I'd like a blue away strip.

Some people don't think straight and don't mind looking foolish or embarrassing themselves, their fellow fans, or the club.

Hence I've no doubt there would be inebriated takers for 'Come on you Blues', even if they just thought it was 'funny' or would wind up fellow fans.

I find it more than a bit strange there is one fan on here who would accept City playing in a blue shirt.

Translation:

"Thanks for the facts Robin & Phantom, I don't go to away games so I quite frankly don't have a clue what gets sung. However, I'm also going to choose to completely disregard the information you've just given me about what colours we sing about, and instead just come up with some more hypothetical nonsense that supports my point."

I have previously said that I think it would worth having a blue kit as the howls of indignation coming from the fewers would be hilarious.

Apart from that I'm not sure it matters too much what colour we wear for the away kit (so long as it's not red).

One thing that does spring to mind though is that I have always had the impression that the colour of Bristol, if it has one at all, is blue. I'm thinking it probably comes from the Blue Glass more than anything else, but it can't hurt for City to claim the deeper shade of blue for ourselves.

Having said all that, there is obviously more than a significant minority that would be dead set against it, therefore it probably shouldn't happen.

46 minutes ago, Griffin said:

It seems like double standards to me, willing to take everything from SL/BS but not accept their changes.

So you think Cardiff fans were right to accept the colour change to red because Tan was putting money into the club?

For the record this is not an anti-Bristol Sport comment as I have absolutely no problem with it whatsoever.

15 hours ago, Milo said:

It’s blue and its connection to Bristol football that is the issue. It’s cultural and deep-rooted. We are red, they are blue is as much a statement about the Bristol football scene as Rockers wearing leather jackets and Mods wearing fishtail parkers. Colour and its association to football teams is how we show our allegiance, everyone on this thread agrees that we should always play in red; for many, there is an extension that says we do not play in blue. In the context of our football culture, one that spans generations and all living memory, City playing football wearing blue is the antithesis of playing in red.

I’m fairly confident that no one is saying that jeans must be red, or that casual clothes at matches must have no blue, or that City was the chosen team because it was red. No one is denying that we played in blue in a Cup final over a century ago. At this point, you’ve also not read anyone get shirty about it because it may not materialise, it might just be a marketing ruse to get social media eagerly anticipating the shirt’s release. You’ve just got a lot of City fans who say that our traditions are important, who say that the conventions of Bristol football, and thereby a grudging respect to the “blue few” and their part in our rivalry, matter.

It’s OK if you don’t feel the same way. This doesn’t have to be a right / wrong discussion. It’s OK to have a different opinion and I’m sure we can all agree that it’s OK to respect the opinions of those who feel differently. Fortunately by respecting the tradition of the last 100 years and leaving blue off the away kit, everyone’s a winner.

2 hours ago, Kotsy said:

Originally I was just open to the idea of us playing in a navy blue kit and thought it could look quite smart.

Now I'm actually hoping for a navy kit just to see some of these over reacting posters shit the bed, throw all their toys out their prams and watch this thread implode.

I may come over as a sycophant towards Milos posts here Kotsy, but I do prefer his debating style to what I would think is hyperbole.

This topic was mentioned at a football tournament a stones throw away from Ashton Gate Saturday. People were amazed that a blue kit could even be a consideration.  

We claim to be a club. Perhaps my view is archaic, but changes to the club should be considered to avoid resentment. The possible blue kit if a reality would be a club purporting to be a club. A true club would consider the resentment created by changing culture/identity/history unacceptable. 

13 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

So you think Cardiff fans were right to accept the colour change to red because Tan was putting money into the club?

For the record this is not an anti-Bristol Sport comment as I have absolutely no problem with it whatsoever.

A new chairman changing HOME colours for the foreseable future isn't comparable is it?

1 hour ago, Kotsy said:

I said initially that I wanted one because I think it'd look smart. But some of you guys are over reacting massively to the point where I think it'd be quite funny to see your reaction.

You guys just can't look past the Rovers.

Do I want a horrible pale blue? No.

Do I want those disgusting quarters? No.

Would it show Rovers that they mean even less to us than ever and are becoming more and more insignificant? Yes.

Do I think that a dark navy colour that matches Bristol rugby and could not be further from any Bristol Rovers association would look smart? Yes.

Like it or not, Bristol Sport will become a large part of our history, without taking anything away from our identity. We've made significant progress under BS, and our club is currently in the best position it's been in recent times to progress further.

p.s. the argument about the 'come on you blues' chant is the biggest load of bollocks I've seen on here for a while.

sorry im lost on a few of these.

Would it show that Rovers mean less to us if we had blue - not a bit, some would probably say we're trying to be them.

saying a dark shade of blue is not associated with gas is like saying a dark red wouldnt be associated with us. IMHO your way off here, Bristol football - red = city, blue = gas.

Bristol sport will become a large part of our history but that doesn't mean they can ride over the individual entities history!

I would seriously question someones motivations in life if all they want is to see reactions.

12 minutes ago, WTMS said:

I may come over as a sycophant towards Milos posts here Kotsy, but I do prefer his debating style to what I would think is hyperbole.

This topic was mentioned at a football tournament a stones throw away from Ashton Gate Saturday. People were amazed that a blue kit could even be a consideration.  

We claim to be a club. Perhaps my view is archaic, but changes to the club should be considered to avoid resentment. The possible blue kit if a reality would be a club purporting to be a club. A true club would consider the resentment created by changing culture/identity/history unacceptable. 

But your views are consistently so outlandishly exagerated that many, myself included, would describe them as hyperbole?

Having a blue away kit for a season doesn't change the club's identity.  Nor did having a yellow and green kit, or a gold away kit for a Wembley cup final.

You talk about avoiding changes that could lead to resentment, I assume you're also saying we shouldn't change the club badge to a Robin?  as that is a change that could lead to resentment?

21 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

No one is changing our home kit or traditional colours, so it's not remotely the same. Navy blue away kit, meh who cares, if such things really irk people,  then I imagine they have bigger underlying issues that they are projecting onto it.

14 minutes ago, JM91 said:

But your views are consistently so outlandishly exagerated that many, myself included, would describe them as hyperbole?

Having a blue away kit for a season doesn't change the club's identity.  Nor did having a yellow and green kit, or a gold away kit for a Wembley cup final.

You talk about avoiding changes that could lead to resentment, I assume you're also saying we shouldn't change the club badge to a Robin?  as that is a change that could lead to resentment?

Not wanting to cause resentment is not bizarre.

I would completely disagree that an away kit cannot become part of a clubs identity. See points earlier regarding Cheesley.

"I assume you're also saying we shouldn't change the club badge to a Robin?"  

I am unaware that I have said the Robin should replace the crest.

"as that is a change that could lead to resentment?" 

I fail to see how selling badges, stickers etc to people who want them, and thinking there could be something in a club nicknamed the Robins using that theme more would cause resentment.

5 minutes ago, Fiale said:

No one is changing our home kit or traditional colours, so it's not remotely the same. Navy blue away kit, meh who cares, if such things really irk people,  then I imagine they have bigger underlying issues that they are projecting onto it.

im sure you didnt mean it but what you have basically said there is that anyone that cares about us not wearing blue has some kind of mental issue.

I would say your apparent apathy is a bigger problem, although not apathetic enough not to write a non opinion on a forum is a weird way to go about it.

46 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

Well in that case, there will be even less worry about chanting about blues on the terraces. Hooray!

Perhaps those in real life are intimidated by being talked down to as opposed to those replying to you on OTIB? I apologise for replying in kind, but then why should anyone be polite in the face of being patronised.

Archived