IGNORED

Euro 2016 thread

Super

How did the ref miss that?

Blatant shirt tug - pretty sure it would have been given had it occurred at the other end of the pitch.

Can't believe how France have come away with 7 points from 3 games where they have been pretty poor.

4 minutes ago, downendcity said:

How did the ref miss that?

Blatant shirt tug - pretty sure it would have been given had it occurred at the other end of the pitch.

Can't believe how France have come away with 7 points from 3 games where they have been pretty poor.

Because they are the host nation?

Albania win 1-0.

Think that is going to be a decent one for the others who might end up third. In order of importance, three points, -2 Goal difference, one goal scored. Obviously need to beat two in third place, but for instance, if they finish third, Wales could lose by two, and NI by three and still be above Albania.

15 minutes ago, Coppello said:

Right, any idea who we can now potentially play in the next round? People were saying Romania but I am assuming they've been replaced by Albania now. However, other people have mentioned NI?

If England win the group they'll play third placed in group A (Albania) unless they AREN'T one of the four best third placed, in which case they will play third placed in group C (probably Northern Ireland) unless they ALSO aren't one of the four best. In that case, England will play group D's third place which is harder to predict but I reckon will be Czech Republic.

3 minutes ago, Robin101 said:

If England win the group they'll play third placed in group A (Albania) unless they AREN'T one of the four best third placed, in which case they will play third placed in group C (probably Northern Ireland) unless they ALSO aren't one of the four best. In that case, England will play group D's third place which is harder to predict but I reckon will be Czech Republic.

Thanks, so there's quite a chance that we will play Albania or NI if their GD doesn't get hammered by Germany. I'd quite like to avoid the teams in Group D!

4 minutes ago, Coppello said:

Thanks, so there's quite a chance that we will play Albania or NI if their GD doesn't get hammered by Germany. I'd quite like to avoid the teams in Group D!

Hmm well I don't think the team from Group E will qualify so yes I think either Albania or Northern Ireland very likely if England can win the group. 

16 minutes ago, Robin101 said:

what day will that be on? I tried to work it out the other day, I'm hoping it's not Saturday 2nd

39 minutes ago, Robin101 said:

Sadly not that straight forward. For instance, if the teams from groups A B C and D qualified, we can not play A as the others will not fit. It is complex as they also want to avoid the possibility of two teams from the same group playing before the semi finals.

Best explanation, with a table for the possible outcomes, is shown here

http://www.eurosport.com/football/euro-2016/2016/explained-3rd-place-teams-at-euro-2016-how-it-works-who-plays-whom-and-who-s-set-to-grab-a-spot_sto5651583/story.shtml

The table, WA standing for winner group A. We hope to be WB! Also just to add there are many more options that see us play the third from A and D than C.

I will be testing on this later!

Euro 2016 - allocation of third-placed teams to knockout matches (Source: UEFA)

13 minutes ago, cityexile said:

Sadly not that straight forward. For instance, if the teams from groups A B C and D qualified, we can not play A as the others will not fit. It is complex as they also want to avoid the possibility of two teams from the same group playing before the semi finals.

Best explanation, with a table for the possible outcomes, is shown here

http://www.eurosport.com/football/euro-2016/2016/explained-3rd-place-teams-at-euro-2016-how-it-works-who-plays-whom-and-who-s-set-to-grab-a-spot_sto5651583/story.shtml

The table, WA standing for winner group A. We hope to be WB!

Euro 2016 - allocation of third-placed teams to knockout matches (Source: UEFA)

Oh...! I had no idea it was quite so complicated... Basically, anyone's guess who England may play!

5 minutes ago, Robin101 said:

Oh...! I had no idea it was quite so complicated... Basically, anyone's guess who England may play!

Pretty much, although in some ways sadly NI looks unlikely, as there is only one outcome that leads to that.

This all assumes we finish first of course to be relevant..or third!

6 minutes ago, RedDave said:

England team apparently for tomorrow.  Six changes and no Rooney

Reported England starting XI tomorrow: Hart, Clyne, Smalling, Cahill, Bertrand, Dier, Henderson, Wilshere, Sturridge, Lallana, Vardy. #ENG 

big gamble as we need to win group

Blimey. Hope this one does not come back to bite us on the bum.

Sturridge and Vardy in fairness no one is going to argue with. No Ali or Rooney however...surprised if I am honest with that many changes that Hart keeps his place.

Slovakia is no 'gimme'. Hope he knows what he is doing.

Just got back to central Lyon after Albania v Romania - wasn't a bad game, and the Albanian fans created an excellent atmosphere. Pic below. 

Also just seen the supposed England team for tomorrow night. Six changes? I could understand two or three changes, but six? To me that looks a little disrespectful to the Slovakians, who are no mugs - we aren't guaranteed a last 16 spot yet and to me we should name our strongest possible 11 to try and win the group. 

image.jpeg

3 minutes ago, cityexile said:

The worry, and we have done this before, is that if it is tight we know a draw will get us through, but the other result dumps us down to second.

Totally agree. I remember 2010 when a 2-0 win against Slovenia would have meant winning the group - Capello went defensive for the last 20 minutes as we held on to win 1-0 - then the USA scored in stoppage time against Algeria (as we were leaving the stadium in Port Elizabeth) to knock us off top spot. It also meant we played Germany in the last 16, instead of Ghana. And a mad scramble to get the last of the relatively few hotel rooms available in Bloemfontein....

4 minutes ago, North London Red said:

Totally agree. I remember 2010 when a 2-0 win against Slovenia would have meant winning the group - Capello went defensive for the last 20 minutes as we held on to win 1-0 - then the USA scored in stoppage time against Algeria (as we were leaving the stadium in Port Elizabeth) to knock us off top spot. It also meant we played Germany in the last 16, instead of Ghana. And a mad scramble to get the last of the relatively few hotel rooms available in Bloemfontein....

Quoted this post so it was less clutter, but where was the stuff about tomorrow's team?

4 minutes ago, City169 said:

Quoted this post so it was less clutter, but where was the stuff about tomorrow's team?

3 minutes ago, BcfcDuncs said:

Daily star . So hopefully aload of rubbish about that team selection 

It's being reported everywhere.  This sort of thing has happened a few times before and is always correct.  There must be a leak.

5 minutes ago, City169 said:

I saw it on the BBC's live text for the France game - they provided a link to an article on the Guardian website saying 6 changes will be made (can't get links to work when posting from my phone, but am sure you'll be able to find the story on the sport section of the Guardian website). 

16 minutes ago, North London Red said:

Still remember dicking around against Nigeria for a 0-0 in 2002, led to us getting second, and then Brazil.

Edit Guardian link.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2016/jun/19/roy-hodgson-knockout-stages-six-changes

5 minutes ago, cityexile said:

Still remember dicking around against Nigeria for a 0-0 in 2002, led to us getting second, and then Brazil.

Yes, if memory serves didn't the players and management team claim after that game that they'd rather finish second because it meant we'd play the last 16 game in the evening rather than in the afternoon heat? Never mind that we then played Brazil one round later in the afternoon heat...

Archived