IGNORED

Euro 2016 thread

Super

7 hours ago, North London Red said:

Just got back to central Lyon after Albania v Romania - wasn't a bad game, and the Albanian fans created an excellent atmosphere. Pic below. 

Also just seen the supposed England team for tomorrow night. Six changes? I could understand two or three changes, but six? To me that looks a little disrespectful to the Slovakians, who are no mugs - we aren't guaranteed a last 16 spot yet and to me we should name our strongest possible 11 to try and win the group. 

image.jpeg

Off topic - hows the grub in Lyon? Supposed to be some of the best in France......

8 hours ago, North London Red said:

Totally agree. I remember 2010 when a 2-0 win against Slovenia would have meant winning the group - Capello went defensive for the last 20 minutes as we held on to win 1-0 - then the USA scored in stoppage time against Algeria (as we were leaving the stadium in Port Elizabeth) to knock us off top spot. It also meant we played Germany in the last 16, instead of Ghana. And a mad scramble to get the last of the relatively few hotel rooms available in Bloemfontein....

We ended up with a 6 hour each way mini-bus drive from Jo'burg.  I had a brain-melting hangover from the previous day's trip to Rustenburg.   Such joy.

8 hours ago, RedDave said:

England team apparently for tomorrow.  Six changes and no Rooney

Reported England starting XI tomorrow: Hart, Clyne, Smalling, Cahill, Bertrand, Dier, Henderson, Wilshere, Sturridge, Lallana, Vardy. #ENG 

big gamble as we need to win group

Making six changes is a very odd choice.shocked to not see Walkers name there,has been good.Roy being Roy,this goes against the grain-please,this isn't a friendly!

2 minutes ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

According to this morning's press, Roy is making six changes tonight.  Kane & Sterling dropped; Rooney, Alli, Walker and Rose rested; Sturridge, Vardy, Henderson, Wiltshire, Bertrand and Clyne in.

You should only be resting them if you have already won the group imo, also looks like we are underestimating Slovakia who aren't that bad a team.

8 hours ago, cidercity1987 said:

2 changes that all and sundry have called for - Vardy and Sturridge.

2 more to rest the full backs, as good as Walker has been its the most insignificant position.

The final 2, Alli has been fairly anonymous so far and Rooney the only odd one to me.

This. Not entirely shocked by it, and should still have more than enough to win the game.

I can understand the six changes.  As others have said,Vardy and Sturridge for Sterling and Kane just makes sense.  The other four changes are the positions where the players are expending the most energy - full back and centre midfield.  It might weaken us tonight but better that than key players are knackered if we go to 120 minutes in a knockout game.  What's more, it means that almost all our players - the only exceptions being Stones, Barkley and the back-up keepers - have played at the tournament, which has to be useful if we do get injuries at later stages.

We should still have enough to beat Slovakia and, as long as we go through, it's good squad management to make sure almost everyone has gone on the pitch and to keep players fresh for later in the tournament.

10 hours ago, cityexile said:

Sadly not that straight forward. For instance, if the teams from groups A B C and D qualified, we can not play A as the others will not fit. It is complex as they also want to avoid the possibility of two teams from the same group playing before the semi finals.

Best explanation, with a table for the possible outcomes, is shown here

http://www.eurosport.com/football/euro-2016/2016/explained-3rd-place-teams-at-euro-2016-how-it-works-who-plays-whom-and-who-s-set-to-grab-a-spot_sto5651583/story.shtml

The table, WA standing for winner group A. We hope to be WB! Also just to add there are many more options that see us play the third from A and D than C.

I will be testing on this later!

Euro 2016 - allocation of third-placed teams to knockout matches (Source: UEFA)

My prediction is it will be the BCDF combination. 

11 hours ago, RedDave said:

England team apparently for tomorrow.  Six changes and no Rooney

Reported England starting XI tomorrow: Hart, Clyne, Smalling, Cahill, Bertrand, Dier, Henderson, Wilshere, Sturridge, Lallana, Vardy. #ENG 

big gamble as we need to win group

Think Sturridge is worth a fiver for top scorer. He's got 1 already, if he starts as suggested, he might score one or two. If we get to the semis and he is still scoring he could be in contention for top scorer.

Saw 25/1 last night.

5 hours ago, BS5_RED said:

Off topic - hows the grub in Lyon? Supposed to be some of the best in France......

The food in Lyon is, indeed, excellent - and varied.

I don't know where you are staying, but if you are in central Lyon, get yourself to Rue Mercier. It is a pedestrianised street just full of restaurants for all tastes and budgets.

Bon Appetit.

14 minutes ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

The food in Lyon is, indeed, excellent - and varied.

I don't know where you are staying, but if you are in central Lyon, get yourself to Rue Mercier. It is a pedestrianised street just full of restaurants for all tastes and budgets.

Bon Appetit.

Can also recommend the Rue Saint Jean just back across the bridge - plenty of Lyon's famous Bouchon restaurants around there.

5 hours ago, BS5_RED said:

The food in Lyon is excellent, although one or two of the local specialities are an acquired taste. You'll need a strong stomach for 'rolled veal's head', which I tried the other day. 

Lyon overall is a really nice city, although I'm not sure I'd want to be an Olympique Lyonnais fan, having to make the almighty schlep out to the new stadium every other week. Visually impressive stadium, but miles out of town, and next to nothing nearby in terms of bars or restaurants - it reminded me of the Allianz in Munich in that regard. 

10 minutes ago, Gazred said:

Can also recommend the Rue Saint Jean just back across the bridge - plenty of Lyon's famous Bouchon restaurants around there.

Indeed.

Just 10 minutes walk over the Saone and, in my opinion, Rue Saint Jean is probably the prettier of the two - Rue Merciere is basically just a street full of restaurants, whilst Saint Jean and the surrounding streets has other interesting buildings as well.

In fact, just about anywhere in Vieux Lyon is worth a visit.

Don't hesitate to try the house wine and don't be put off by the strange shape of the wine bottles themselves.

2 minutes ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

Indeed.

Just 10 minutes walk over the Saone and, in my opinion, Rue Saint Jean is probably the prettier of the two - Rue Merciere is basically just a street full of restaurants, whilst Saint Jean and the surrounding streets has other interesting buildings as well.

In fact, just about anywhere in Vieux Lyon is worth a visit.

Don't hesitate to try the house wine and don't be put off by the strange shape of the wine bottles themselves.

You'll need refreshment after the long stroll down from Fourvier!

Spent plenty of time in and around Lyon, it's a really nice City - if you are in the area at the moment for the football, check it out.

4 hours ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

According to this morning's press, Roy is making six changes tonight.  Kane & Sterling dropped; Rooney, Alli, Walker and Rose rested; Sturridge, Vardy, Henderson, Wiltshire, Bertrand and Clyne in.

Absolute madness in my opinion.  Imagine if we now fail to win, finish second or even third in the group and then land Spain (or similar) in the second round instead of Albania.  Sturridge and Vardy makes sense, beyond that you're playing with fire.

Also don't agree with dropping Hart on the strength of one mistake.  It happens to all keepers.

SSN reporting SIX changes ahead of England's game tonight. 

Clyne, Bertrand, Wilshere, Henderson, Vardy and Sturridge in.

Walker, Rose, Alli, Rooney, Sterling and Kane out. 

I understand Vardy and Sturridge but would be very strange to see so many other changes, when we are not technically qualified yet. 

9 minutes ago, cynic said:

Very brave of Roy if it is six unenforced changes.

But I suppose thats why there is a squad and he must have faith in them - still looks a decent team to me.

And there is always the bench if things look like going belly up...

Certainly bold, not sure I see the sense in resting your key players when you've not secured anything yet but on paper the team should still be well up to the task. 

19 hours ago, North London Red said:

Just got back to central Lyon after Albania v Romania - wasn't a bad game, and the Albanian fans created an excellent atmosphere. Pic below. 

Also just seen the supposed England team for tomorrow night. Six changes? I could understand two or three changes, but six? To me that looks a little disrespectful to the Slovakians, who are no mugs - we aren't guaranteed a last 16 spot yet and to me we should name our strongest possible 11 to try and win the group. 

image.jpeg

I was in Lyon for Norn Iron v Ukraine. Norn Iron fans brilliant, unbelievable noise in the stadium.

I don't really see it as 6 changes. Vardy and Sturridge have put themselves ahead of Sterling and Kane and so really he's resting 4 others. The amount of running Alli and the full backs do, it makes sense to give them a rest and if we go further, the fresher Rooney is the better. Come on England!

I wouldn't have done it, but he's clearly gambling with the intention of keeping our better players fresh for the knockout games. We have seen tired England performances before with the excuse of long seasons and no break. And if we're going to win it - which is ultimately the intention - then we stand a better chance if our players are fresher than the opposition, especially against the better sides later in the tournament.

But I still wouldn't have done it!

6 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

I wouldn't have done it, but he's clearly gambling with the intention of keeping our better players fresh for the knockout games. We have seen tired England performances before with the excuse of long seasons and no break. And if we're going to win it - which is ultimately the intention - then we stand a better chance if our players are fresher than the opposition, especially against the better sides later in the tournament.

But I still wouldn't have done it!

Just hope for his sake it doesn't backfire on him. 

6 minutes ago, Just Red said:

If it works out he's a genious if it doesn't he's an idiot. 

It is of course this at the end of the day. Equally he is not really resting six is he - more four, with two being dropped.

Will know soon enough I suppose.

Archived