IGNORED

Euro 2016 thread

Super

1 hour ago, exAtyeoMax said:

I've watched most of the games, and I've enjoyed it overall. I've always enjoyed these kinds of tournaments, the only exception being WC in South Africa (and that wasn't because England was rubbish, because I thought Brazil was superb).

Same here. I always enjoy watching tournaments. The games so far have been pretty good with plenty of incidents like late goals. Sad that crowd trouble has reared its head again, though.

23 hours ago, GrahamC said:

Ireland are awful, a negative cynical side and Long (who could have got a penalty) got away with a number of dirty sly fouls.

The sooner they are out the better.

Bit harsh. We were pretty dire but it was always going to be difficult to get anywhere in this group. We missed our chance against Sweden who were much poorer than we anticipated. Can't believe the Belgian lad wasn't dismissed for kicking Shane Long's face off but c'est la vie.

Beat Italy and we can still progress, no problem! :ph34r:

2 hours ago, MarcusX said:

Odd comment to make if you haven't actually watched the games? So on paper they don't appeal? Well try watching the games then you might understand why people are enjoying the tournament!

Precisely!  On paper, the games don't appeal.  Which is why I haven't actually watched them! So not really odd...

I wasn't criticising people for enjoying the tournament. Just asking if anyone was.

My main problem is that Germany and Italy will play poorly and everyone will wonder how they have got to the final and then Germany will win it. :mellow:

4 hours ago, Chivs said:

Considering the previous comments perhaps I am the only one finding this tournament massively boring?

I've only watched two whole games (no prize for guessing which).  None of the rest have appealed.  I usually find a reason to watch a game (normally involves wanting a team to lose due to Ronaldo playing for them).  But even that reason hasn't found me interested.

But if Kodjia was playing....

Certainly haven't found it boring. I love tournament football for the unique carnival atmosphere, the fans, the colour, the big England games, and the novelty of three games a day on free-to-air TV!

In reality, the standard of players on show in the group stages is hugely variable; Spain etc obviously have class throughout, but some of the lesser sides are fielding L1/L2 standard players. So the quality of some of the football might not be up there with CL or Premier League. But, aside from watching City in person, this is probably my favourite form of the game.

6 hours ago, Chivs said:

Considering the previous comments perhaps I am the only one finding this tournament massively boring?

I've only watched two whole games (no prize for guessing which).  None of the rest have appealed.  I usually find a reason to watch a game (normally involves wanting a team to lose due to Ronaldo playing for them).  But even that reason hasn't found me interested.

But if Kodjia was playing....

How can one judge a week of football boring if they have only watched two whole games? It's been decent so far. I like the new format of some of the third placed teams qualifying. Brings up many permutations and teams in contention till the final games. The last round of fixtures should be a good watch. 

16 minutes ago, Cunnyfunt said:

How can one judge a week of football boring if they have only watched two whole games? It's been decent so far. I like the new format of some of the third placed teams qualifying. Brings up many permutations and teams in contention till the final games. The last round of fixtures should be a good watch. 

I agree re: third place teams. I expected to hate it - I thought it would make the group stage almost too easy for some teams. Although that may still be the case, as you say it means we go into the final round of matches with almost every team still in with a chance of sneaking through. Great for fans of the smaller nations. It also means there is an even bigger incentive to win your group, with a potential tie against a weak third-placed team.

I like the expanded format. It's meant that unless you have completely shit out at the start there is something to play for at the end. Plus I just love tournament football.  Scrub that, I just love football. I want to watch Switzerland v Albania. People who can only find satisfaction if the game has 'noted' superstars are strange.

20 minutes ago, 054123 said:

I like the expanded format. It's meant that unless you have completely shit out at the start there is something to play for at the end. Plus I just love tournament football.  Scrub that, I just love football. I want to watch Switzerland v Albania. People who can only find satisfaction if the game has 'noted' superstars are strange.

Mostly down to Sky mate. All the plastics are conditioned to believe that you can`t enjoy a game unless it`s got Ronaldo or Aguero playing in it.

23 minutes ago, 054123 said:

it's a bit like the FA Cup, you just don't know how each game is going to pan out. I like watching the teams I know nothing about, well I don't know much about the teams from the bigger nations either. 

Ive been pleasently surprised by this tournament.

I've enjoyed seeing the so called big teams struggling to overcome the smaller nations, many of whom have played well above expectations. The atmosphere at most of the games has been great with tremendous levels of support for even some of the smallest nations ( Iceland's support was amazing)

The other thing that has been a surprise is that many games have been like watching premier league games, with very little tippy tap type football. Ball retention has not been as strong as I would have expected, but mainly because teams have been going at each other hammer and tongs. 

I still expect the usual suspects to be there or there about at the sharp end of the tournament, but if the type of football we've sen in the first 10 days continues then it might give England a better chance.

Things to look out for, with the third matches about to start.

The first seeds are expected to split France, Germany and Italy in one half, and England, Portugal and Spain in the other half of the draw. Any of those finishing second get bumped in to the other half. So, if we think we will win our group, it would be good that France do to.

Equally, there will be a lot of teams looking at those third places, which look very competitive. For the other home nations, a draw between Albania and Romania is best, followed by an Albania win. Otherwise the first group finishes with a 4 point third place, which maybe is what it is going to take!

Enjoyed it so far. Thought the officiating overall has been pretty good, and a lot less play acting than I was expecting.

2 minutes ago, cityexile said:

Things to look out for, with the third matches about to start.

The first seeds are expected to split France, Germany and Italy in one half, and England, Portugal and Spain in the other half of the draw. Any of those finishing second get bumped in to the other half. So, if we think we will win our group, it would be good that France do to.

Equally, there will be a lot of teams looking at those third places, which look very competitive. For the other home nations, a draw between Albania and Romania is best, followed by an Albania win. Otherwise the first group finishes with a 4 point third place, which maybe is what it is going to take!

A very useful summary! Thanks.

Really enjoying it as i do every major football tournament.

I like how the games have been mostly even which makes for good viewing but i especially like how there hasn't been much cheating/play acting, far less than we see in the Prem and CL.....I hope this doesn't change as the tourney gets in the latter stages and the stakes get higher!

30 minutes ago, cityexile said:

Albania one up.

For a neutral, Rom - Alb is a more entertaining game to watch than Fra - Swi. Is that due to that pair already through to the next round?

Watching the poor finishing though, I'm glad I'm not an Albanian fan.

Didn`t realise Payet was 29, I thought he was much younger. On a five year contract at West Ham too. Looking at wiki he does seem to be one of those players who never really achieved anything until relatively late in his career which is probably why most hadn`t heard of him until he came to England. Talk about blossoming late on!

Archived