IGNORED

Euro 2016 thread

Super

Well that was unexpected enjoyable. Am I right in think potentially if Engkand finished top and won their last 16 tie they'd potentially play the team finishing top in that group? Getting ahead maybe but be nice if it wasn't Portugal again.. 

5 minutes ago, Tomarse said:

Well that was unexpected enjoyable. Am I right in think potentially if Engkand finished top and won their last 16 tie they'd potentially play the team finishing top in that group? Getting ahead maybe but be nice if it wasn't Portugal again.. 

God knows,still not worked out who we will play next round if we win the group,it's the 3rd best finisher out of group a c or d isn't it 

20 minutes ago, Tomarse said:

Yes although I believe the alternative is Belgium.

17 minutes ago, Tomarse said:

You are right. However, the winner of that group must play the runner up in Italys group in the last 16 first, which could well be Belgium.

I know kick off times have for some time now been synchronised within a group to ensure teams do not 'fiddle' the result, but do think this time round there is a real advantage to being in a later group, as you will know exactly what you need if aiming for third. You might know a 1-0 defeat knocks you out, but a 2-1 defeat puts you through because of goals scored.

16 minutes ago, joe jordans teeth said:

God knows,still not worked out who we will play next round if we win the group,it's the 3rd best finisher out of group a c or d isn't it 

Correct, although we will not know until all the 4th places are confirmed, as there is only one 'combination' that will work for each potential outcome.

21 minutes ago, joe jordans teeth said:

Possibly NI which would be fun.

Draw was fair in Iceland game. But, when Hungary scored the two subs did not do their job. They did not mark their players. The Lagerbäck gameplan worked in 88 min. He was angry. Not so nice football, but sure they can fight. Lagerbäck is king in Iceland. Five of their players are in the Swedish leauge, says a lot what Iceland have done and do. Amazing.

50 minutes ago, Garland-sweden said:

Draw was fair in Iceland game. But, when Hungary scored the two subs did not do their job. They did not mark their players. The Lagerbäck gameplan worked in 88 min. He was angry. Not so nice football, but sure they can fight. Lagerbäck is king in Iceland. Five of their players are in the Swedish leauge, says a lot what Iceland have done and do. Amazing.

Not surprised he is king, he knows exactly how to set up a team.

Iceland are so easily to like, honest and committed, a band of brothers who play football as you want to see it.

Slightly annoyed by the patronising media over here though, they are not some bunch of amateurs, their subs yesterday were a Udinese player, a Real Sociedad one and Eidur Gudjohnsen..

Really hope they go through (and that we sign Ragnar Sigurdsson).

Considering the previous comments perhaps I am the only one finding this tournament massively boring?

I've only watched two whole games (no prize for guessing which).  None of the rest have appealed.  I usually find a reason to watch a game (normally involves wanting a team to lose due to Ronaldo playing for them).  But even that reason hasn't found me interested.

But if Kodjia was playing....

5 minutes ago, Chivs said:

Considering the previous comments perhaps I am the only one finding this tournament massively boring?

I've only watched two whole games (no prize for guessing which).  None of the rest have appealed.  I usually find a reason to watch a game (normally involves wanting a team to lose due to Ronaldo playing for them).  But even that reason hasn't found me interested.

I`ve been enjoying it but I do have to spend a lot of time in the evenings on paperwork and stuff for work so it`s been ideal just having it on while I`m doing that. I`ve managed to see all but one game that way as I managed to get home early for three out of the four midweek afternoon games. The only one I`ve missed is Spain v Czech Republic last Monday.

On the whole, I`m enjoying it I think.

23 minutes ago, Chivs said:

This is possibly caused by the expansion of the tournament. So far most games have been fairly routinal. I think the quarters will be where it gets interesting.  

1 hour ago, Chivs said:

Odd comment to make if you haven't actually watched the games? So on paper they don't appeal? Well try watching the games then you might understand why people are enjoying the tournament!

1 hour ago, Tomarse said:

This is possibly caused by the expansion of the tournament.   

For you younger forum members. Until the breakup of Yugoslavia & the Soviet Union etc and before such nations as Faroe Islands, San Marino, Andorra and Lichtenstein took part UEFA consisted of 32 nations.

This provided eight groups of four for both World and European Cups. The four teams in each group played each other H & A. The group winners became the quarter finalists and were drawn randomly against another group winner. They played H&A. Whichever nation was hosting the competition only staged three games; one semi on a Tuesday, the other on the Wednesday and the final on that Sunday.

Now UEFA has 56 members and 24 are at the finals in six groups of four with the top two from each group plus some THIRD placed teams progress to the knockout stage.

Looking back 40 years; The 1976 UEFA European Football Championship final tournament was held in Yugoslavia. At the time, only four countries could play the final tournament, which meant that there were only the semi-finals, the final and the third-place match. This was the last tournament to have this format, as the tournament was expanded to include eight teams four years later. This was also the last tournament in which the hosts had to qualify for the final stage.

Archived