IGNORED

Adam Matthews - Signed (Season Long Loan)

Eastend

4 minutes ago, ciderbeans said:

I reckon Matthews will be next in the door. Followed at some point by the outgoing loan/sale of little or ayling 

Neither should be loaned or sold. Our squad is threadbare as it is and we need two in every position. Ayling could play CB or CDM in a pinch so both have a part to play. 

4 minutes ago, RedDave said:

Matthews as first choice RB and Ayling as back up is enough.  Little can then be sold.  Don't need three for every position and we have to give youth players a glimmer of hope at breaking in.  

Why would you sell one right back to accommodate a lesser one?

3 minutes ago, City169 said:

Why would you sell one right back to accommodate a lesser one?

I'd sell Little as we don't need three right backs.  If we need a third choice then this player should come from youth.  You can't have third choices on £5-6k a week twiddling their thumbs AND expect club to increase their wage structure to get the likes of Tomlin.

4 minutes ago, RedDave said:

I'd sell Little as we don't need three right backs.  If we need a third choice then this player should come from youth.  You can't have third choices on £5-6k a week twiddling their thumbs AND expect club to increase their wage structure to get the likes of Tomlin.

So why keep the lesser of the 2 we have?

8 minutes ago, Bullbag said:

Ayling is not a right back.

Also isn't a centre back, think his best position is actually in midfield in which case he isn't needed as we have lots of better options there.

Ayling has spent most of his career at right back. I don't even think he has played in centre mid! So yes he is a right back. 

8 minutes ago, Bullbag said:

Ayling is not a right back.

Also isn't a centre back, think his best position is actually in midfield in which case he isn't needed as we have lots of better options there.

No idea why people think he would work in midfield.  Never seen him play there and two successive good managers clearly think he cannot play there.

Good enough right back for back up. Good enough centre back for 2nd back up ie fourth choice 

3 minutes ago, RedDave said:

I misunderstood as I didn't think anyone thought Little was better than Ayling!! Little decent in league one but proved hugely out of his depth last season.

No he didn't, he had a few stuttering performances which were fairly standard for any player coming back after a serious injury, whereas taking played at a similar standard to Little without such an injury. 

Littles strongest asset is his pace, and that's been hampered by the shoulder injury, as time goes on that will get better.

Ayling is twice the player Little is. Yes he may get caught out on the odd occasion but going forward and with the ball at his feet he's an asset. He is a right back plain and simple.

Little, technically, is awful. ( Feel harsh saying that, but he really isn't very good) He's very one dimensional. Either pass backwards or hit it past the defender and use his strength and what pace he has to try and get the ball. Crossing ability isn't great either. Appreciate what he's done Jon the past but needs to move on. Best for both parties I reckon.

4 minutes ago, Bullbag said:

Your opinion, which I respect.

For me he's not a defender.

To be fair, the fact that Ayling has played at right back for the majority of his career is not a matter of opinion.

I'd definitely pick Ayling there over Little, who I've never particularly rated. Though I'd much prefer to have Matthews. As you say, it's all about opinions!

I know this is a thread about Mathews, but where is  Aylings best position? According to the forum, he can't play fullback, central defence or midfield. Perhaps give him a go in goal? 

4 minutes ago, pongo88 said:

I know this is a thread about Mathews, but where is  Aylings best position? According to the forum, he can't play fullback, central defence or midfield. Perhaps give him a go in goal? 

His best position is one of the wide centre backs in a back 3. I like him a lot but I'm not entirely convinced on him in a central duo or out on the right , but I'd prefer him to Little. Physically he's neither quick or strong but his technical attributes are what I like about him. The fact he looks calm with the ball at his feet and can pick a decent pass. Has he actually played in midfield for us? If not I have no clue how someone can say he's better there than the position he's been playing in for the longest.

40 minutes ago, RedDave said:

Matthews as first choice RB and Ayling as back up is enough.  Little can then be sold.  Don't need three for every position and we have to give youth players a glimmer of hope at breaking in.  

Great idea. What happens when one of Ayling or Matthews tears a hamstring and we can't cover the position?

He's not tall enough.

Annoys me the crap Little gets on here, he was quality before getting a nasty shoulder injury and now most are slagging him off.

Better than Ayling at right back by a long stretch.

I think Little is the best wingback; Ayling the best fullback. Matthews would be better than either, whatever the formation.

2 minutes ago, BRISTOL86 said:

Great idea. What happens when one of Ayling or Matthews tears a hamstring and we can't cover the position?

We look at our devlopment squad. We can't have 3 players for every position. Financially it's not viable and I'm sure the players wont be happy about having no play time. 

13 minutes ago, Bullbag said:

He's not tall enough.

Annoys me the crap Little gets on here, he was quality before getting a nasty shoulder injury and now most are slagging him off.

Better than Ayling at right back by a long stretch.

Have to disagree.  Little will be offloaded when we sign a new right back , his touch is simply not good enough for the Championship. 

I never said Ayling had played in midfield for us, what I was saying is I think he could could do a job in midfield.

As someone else has said, he has the technical attributes and looks calm with the ball, but unfortunately he's not a very good defender.

On what basis do you think he'll be better in midfield? He doesn't have a good enough engine to pressure like Smith or the passing ability of Pack. He doesn't have the physicality for a midfielder nor does he have an exceptional technical ability to make up for it.

I know everyone is saying their opinions but Ayling is quite clearly the better RB, he may not have the pace Little possesses but everything else he is far superior. In the final third he's excellent and his touch and control certainly makes me have no worries if he was to be our first choice. Just recall the Boro home game if you're unsure. Matthews first choice with Ayling as backup is a strong depth of position, Little along with Agard should be sold as they aren't good enough for me. 

3 minutes ago, Bullbag said:

Shall we just wait and see what LJ thinks/does? After all it's his decision.

Of course. I'm not trying to say you're wrong because frankly you're not , you gave an opinon just like I did. I'm just interested as to why you think that. There's no other motive here.

24 minutes ago, BRISTOL86 said:

'When'?  Are you guaranteeing it?  If you think we can afford to have a third choice right back on 5k per week just remaining at the club because someone might tear a hamstring (like that is a regular occurrence anyway) then that's very naive.  We have a youth system, as stated in my previous post that you quoted from.  

22 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

I thought he looked very poor in a back 3 last season. Thought he looked much better as a right back. His best position is probably in midfield but not really seen him play there much yet for city. Only filled in there a few times I think. He started off as a midfielder in his career so that is probably his best position. And he has not shown he reads the game very well as a defender so far in his city career so I would guess midfield is his position. 

The majority of the team looked poor when we played 3 at the back last season. I don't agree with the ' He started off as a midfielder in his career so that is probably his best position' bit , Bale started as a LB , Schweinsteiger a LM & Scholes was a striker. 

6 minutes ago, cynic said:

Ayling is quite clearly a complete liability as a defender at this level.

I'm sorry I just simply don't agree. Little has made numerous mistakes this season costing us goals, like against MK Dons at home for example. He brings very little in the final third whereas Ayling's crosses and link up play is excellent. Ayling is a much better player than Liftle. What moments of liability with Ayling Spring to mind?

3 minutes ago, Shtanley said:

I'm sorry I just simply don't agree. Little has made numerous mistakes this season costing us goals, like against MK Dons at home for example. He brings very little in the final third whereas Ayling's crosses and link up play is excellent. Ayling is a much better player than Liftle. What moments of liability with Ayling Spring to mind?

There have been numerous times where Ayling has decided he isn't a defender anymore and ran down the pitch, only to lose possession and then not get back, gifting a clear chance to the opposition. A few of those have resulted in us conceding though I can't name the games off the top of my head, and a few we were extremely fortunate not to concede from.

When Little loses the ball up field he has the pace that he can make up for it more times than not and has far better crossing to boot.

3 minutes ago, cynic said:

I said he is a defensive liability and I stand by that.

He was responsible for so many goals conceded early last season - I couldn't give a monkeys if he can cross a ball (which Little is equally adept at) or if he can pass the ball a few yards. If he is a defender, he should be competent at defending and, imo, he is nowhere near competent at this level. 

Anyway, as I said earlier, your opinion and my opinion are not important - its what LJ thinks that is important.

Get the impression he thinks neither are good enough.

4 minutes ago, cynic said:

I said he is a defensive liability and I stand by that.

He was responsible for so many goals conceded early last season - I couldn't give a monkeys if he can cross a ball (which Little is equally adept at) or if he can pass the ball a few yards. If he is a defender, he should be competent at defending and, imo, he is nowhere near competent at this level. 

Anyway, as I said earlier, your opinion and my opinion are not important - its what LJ thinks that is important.

Calm down boys , they are both City players so we love them dearly !

8 minutes ago, Shtanley said:

I like Ayling as a strong character in the squad, but he is totally exposed as a full back if he is up against a winger who chooses to go outside of him. Even the winger for little Oxford in the league cup 2 seasons ago made him look a total mug!

Very surprised Luke Ayling is getting a bashing here. I think he's more than capable at this level! When he filled in at RB for Little, I thought he was pretty good.

Mark Little would be my 3rd choice if Matthews came on board. He's League one at best!

Archived