IGNORED

Adam Matthews - Signed (Season Long Loan)

Eastend

5 minutes ago, Shtanley said:What moments of liability with Ayling Spring to mind?

I like Ayling as a footballer. However, I have lost count of the number of times he has charged upfield and lost the ball, leaving us open to a counter-attack. When we were playing three at the back I used to fear the worst every time he went on one of his charges.

If he cuts that out I think he would be worth keeping. Somehow though I think this is such a basic part of his game it is unlikely to change.

Aylings a bloody good footballer who could be even better if he worked on his defensive shortcomings . He could play anywhere down the right hand side . I expect him to start the season as first choice RB , should nobody else be recruited , and wouldnt be to bothered by this . 

5 minutes ago, cynic said:

I said he is a defensive liability and I stand by that.

He was responsible for so many goals conceded early last season - I couldn't give a monkeys if he can cross a ball (which Little is equally adept at) or if he can pass the ball a few yards. If he is a defender, he should be competent at defending and, imo, he is nowhere near competent at this level. 

Anyway, as I said earlier, your opinion and my opinion are not important - its what LJ thinks that is important.

Get the impression he thinks neither are good enough.

4 minutes ago, cynic said:

I said he is a defensive liability and I stand by that.

He was responsible for so many goals conceded early last season - I couldn't give a monkeys if he can cross a ball (which Little is equally adept at) or if he can pass the ball a few yards. If he is a defender, he should be competent at defending and, imo, he is nowhere near competent at this level. 

Anyway, as I said earlier, your opinion and my opinion are not important - its what LJ thinks that is important.

Well for me he's a better defender than Little also. I think the majority would agree and I hope LJ feels the same too. Little despite his pace is constantly terrorised by wingers and his positional sense is poor. If you could name some times where Ayling was responsible for goals conceded I'd appreciate it 

I don't know how Ayling is getting bashed either. We haven't really seen him in a back 4. How many games did he play in it? He had a 6 week injury and the Cheltenham thing on top of Matthews coming into the team. Whether you think he can do it or not is your opinion but I don't think you can back it up based on last season as a RB in a back 4. 

4 minutes ago, Super said:

Get the impression he thinks neither are good enough.

I think Little is good enough but that shoulder injury is a very bad one and he probably will never fully recover and there is a massive risk of it reoccurring.

As harsh as it is might be best to cash in on him now.

55 minutes ago, WRERE said:

We look at our devlopment squad. We can't have 3 players for every position. Financially it's not viable and I'm sure the players wont be happy about having no play time. 

35 minutes ago, RedDave said:

'When'?  Are you guaranteeing it?  If you think we can afford to have a third choice right back on 5k per week just remaining at the club because someone might tear a hamstring (like that is a regular occurrence anyway) then that's very naive.  We have a youth system, as stated in my previous post that you quoted from.  

Points taken and I agree three in a position under normal circumstances is an unnecessary luxury - however I don't want to see any more outs until we have an adequate sized first team, which at present we do not. 

4 minutes ago, cynic said:

Too many to list mate and I couldn't be arsed anyway.

And if you think Littles positioning is poor, just watch Ayling - he's a master at it.

As I said, your opinion is as unimportant as mine, its what LJ sees that counts..

I only asked for one moment but I understand. Guess we'll have to disagree. 

Right, I'm wading in...

Ayling is far a better footballer. Much more comfortable on the ball and a much better passing range. I don't think that is in doubt.

However, Little may be more defensively minded. He offers a speedy outlet but I'm never convinced he ever has the ball trulyunder control! It seems to me to be more by luck than judgment. No doubt there are times when he's been a real threat, but watching him go forward makes me feel uneasy.

I just think Little is just a little one dimensional for this level, despite his qualities and his blinder of a season a couple of years back. 

1 hour ago, JoeAman08 said:

I don't know how Ayling is getting bashed either. We haven't really seen him in a back 4. How many games did he play in it? He had a 6 week injury and the Cheltenham thing on top of Matthews coming into the team. Whether you think he can do it or not is your opinion but I don't think you can back it up based on last season as a RB in a back 4. 

As far as I can remember he's only ever played 3 games for us there: Middlesbrough and Cardiff at home and Leeds away. At Leeds he got injured and the Middlesbrough game isn't exactly an example of bad defending!

Matthews would/will be a good signing for us and Ayling should be backup.

Only started writing this thread cos of the Nixon bashers, let's not forget that early mon he said that things were developing with Tomlin before anyone else, so to say he knows nothing isn't exactly true. No reporter will ever get 100% of info, but he does seem to get a lot correct and happy to talk which is more than what most will do. 

Matthews was very classy so we need him.

As for Ayling, the guy's not turned 25 yet and people are ruling him out after an injury plagued season. Keep an open mind Id say.

I think the debate here shows that we might benefit from his ability to cover possibly three positions. Good option to have.

With respect, I just don't get the Ayling-bashers?? Maybe it's just me, but I like to think I'm usually a stellar judge of a player's ability...:cool:

I think he's a top player. He had some poor patches last year, but then again, who didn't apart from arguably Korey and Flint (not including loanees).

He's quick, agile and fairly pace. He has good ball control, carries the ball very well, and often overlaps when he can. Defensively I think he's pretty sound - don't forget we were threadbare at the back in the Championship with the 3-5-2 formation. In the L1 season, he was class IMO. I think there is an awful lot to come from him, should LJ agree with my judgement about his ability and potential.   

6 minutes ago, reformed_red said:

With respect, I just don't get the Ayling-bashers?? Maybe it's just me, but I like to think I'm usually a stellar judge of a player's ability...:cool:

I think he's a top player. He had some poor patches last year, but then again, who didn't apart from arguably Korey and Flint (not including loanees).

He's quick, agile and fairly pace. He has good ball control, carries the ball very well, and often overlaps when he can. Defensively I think he's pretty sound - don't forget we were threadbare at the back in the Championship with the 3-5-2 formation. In the L1 season, he was class IMO. I think there is an awful lot to come from him, should LJ agree with my judgement about his ability and potential.   

Totally agree think he is a very good player

10 minutes ago, mozo said:

Matthews was very classy so we need him.

As for Ayling, the guy's not turned 25 yet and people are ruling him out after an injury plagued season. Keep an open mind Id say.

I think the debate here shows that we might benefit from his ability to cover possibly three positions. Good option to have.

I have seen one person rule Ayling out, compared to 2 or 3 ruling out the better defender that we have, Little.

Ayling has plenty of scope to improve, but in my opinion he is the most overrated player in our squad. Not saying he is a bad player, but people go on as if he's incredible and he is far from it.

16 minutes ago, Iron Man said:

They're still in for de-yedlin or whatever his name is, no? I wouldn't panic yet

Think that'll prove to be tough. Tottenham bought him January 2015 for about £3m. He's never played for them and they're wanting I heard £5m. Don't think Sunderland are keen on the price and why they're looking at other options. 

Matthews is better than both Ayling and Little who both have advantages and disadvantages but either would be a reasonable backup to Matthews if we should get him. So keep the one on the smaller contract :yawn:

Archived