IGNORED

Adam Matthews - Signed (Season Long Loan)

Eastend

1 hour ago, red mist said:

Ayling, Vyner and Little, in that order would be my preference, do we need to spend a lot of money on a right back.lets use the cash on a good ball playing centre half, perhaps we could go back for the Hull defender again

Vyner is a LB / Centre Half

5 minutes ago, Shtanley said:

I know a few on here have acknowledged that we may be talking to other RBs if Matthews doesn't sign here. Any suggestions as to who they may be?

I think many suggested Todd Kane for Twitter reasons but he's out until I think November at minimum. Don't think there have been any proper names thrown out since Wabara and even then seems there was little truth in that. I'd be ok with Ayling and Little if we can't get Matthews. It's been said it'll take a few Windows to complete LJ's vision. There are two competent RBs at the club. They have flaws and could be improved but I don't see that as a priority position to fill right now. If someone is rated higher and becomes available then by all means go for it but need a CB and winger more than a RB IMO 

15 minutes ago, Shtanley said:

I know a few on here have acknowledged that we may be talking to other RBs if Matthews doesn't sign here. Any suggestions as to who they may be?

A player I've always been a bit disappointed we never managed to pick up was Lee Peltier. He's 29 and got lots of experience in this league. Got 2 more years on his contract, and playing regularly at Cardiff so doubt he'd be a realistic target. I see him as a right footed equivalent of Golbourne, solid, experienced and a good pro. He can also play in midfield if needed.

I remember we were interested a few years back, never came to anything though.

2 hours ago, INCRED said:

Vyner is a LB / Centre Half

I know this may not be a fair way to judge but his home game v Brighton suggested he was way off first team material. Brighton targeted him and it was painful to watch.

Fully accept that he may not be a RB and young players can improve very quickly if given a chance. Also one bad game doesn't mean anything. However, I would be worried if we go into the season without signing a quality CB or two.

29 minutes ago, ciderbeans said:

It's hard to see anything past Matthews as he is the ideal signing.

what about wisdom on loan from Liverpool?

Think Rodgers is trying to get him for Celtic. Guess anything is possible as he didn't set it alight for Norwich as they were relegated. Though he's more of a RB/CB mix. Not sure how he'd fit. 

7 hours ago, Iron Man said:

Or speed it up?

33 minutes ago, Monkeh said:

I would hope we would of moved on now to another right back target, this one seems to be dragging on for ever, time to go for someone else imo, while monitoring the situation 

didn't you say we should of moved of from Tomlin?

Patience my friend.

17 minutes ago, Iron Man said:

didn't you say we should of moved of from Tomlin?

Patience my friend.

yes, 

I'm not against signing him, the same with tomlin I just hope we are lining some one else up, while we were struggling to get the tomlin deal through Canos appeared, I'm hoping we'd do the same with Mathews so it may get that one over the line,

2 minutes ago, Welshback said:

If I remember correctly, Adam Matthews said there was a deal on the table if his loan spell with us last season went well.

Anyone know what has happened/is happening with him?

I think its simply a case of Sunderland have yet to get a replacement. I think we will get him but it will take a while to go through.

4 minutes ago, havanatopia said:

I would have preferred Hoddle and Eddie Howe team... are we now looking forward to long ball England? I suppose if we win ugly who gives a rats arse right? First thing any gaffer needs to do is throw all of those ear warmers in the garbage. 

I actually don't care what style we play as long as it gets results and sort of entertains.  I'm not a fan of Allardyce himself, but he can blend a team of hard workers with the odd inspirational player (if we can find one), e.g. Anelka or Okocha at Bolton.

There's a part of me that doesn't care who we appoint.  For the first time I can see why some fans only care about their clubs.  I felt very let down by their Euro performance, Russia match aside.

I would of liked Howe but big Sam can get the best out of players. He will ensure England grind out results come what may. The football may not be pretty  but if win then I dont care. He is an old School manager but look who won the Prem and Euro's - Old School managers.

9 minutes ago, havanatopia said:

I would have preferred Hoddle and Eddie Howe team... are we now looking forward to long ball England? I suppose if we win ugly who gives a rats arse right? First thing any gaffer needs to do is throw all of those ear warmers in the garbage. 

Not an exciting appointment but there's no way this lot would have performed so badly under Allardyce as they did under Hodgson.

Not least because at least he'd have picked the best men for the job not just his favourite 'names'. And because at least tactically he does have a clue - he certainly proves last season that he knows how to get the best of a poor group of players! 

5 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I actually don't care what style we play as long as it gets results and sort of entertains.  I'm not a fan of Allardyce himself, but he can blend a team of hard workers with the odd inspirational player (if we can find one), e.g. Anelka or Okocha at Bolton.

There's a part of me that doesn't care who we appoint.  For the first time I can see why some fans only care about their clubs.  I felt very let down by their Euro performance, Russia match aside.

Same here - the problems in English football run SO much deeper than who picks the team. 

3 minutes ago, BRISTOL86 said:

Same here - the problems in English football run SO much deeper than who picks the team. 

I agree.  There is also a part of me that says give it to Shearer or Wright, or both.  We've seen how passion, busting a gut, team work etc worked for Wales, Iceland and Portugal, do you need a tactical nous manager?

I'm sure many more of the other Nation's footballers understand the tactical side of the game themselves that they adapt during the 90.  Our payers seem incapable of it.  

I don't get it....apart from our players must be being made to look better by their foreign counterparts.  It's the only reason I can think of.

Archived