IGNORED

Adam Matthews - Signed (Season Long Loan)

Eastend

39 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I agree.  There is also a part of me that says give it to Shearer or Wright, or both.  We've seen how passion, busting a gut, team work etc worked for Wales, Iceland and Portugal, do you need a tactical nous manager?

I'm sure many more of the other Nation's footballers understand the tactical side of the game themselves that they adapt during the 90.  Our payers seem incapable of it.  

I don't get it....apart from our players must be being made to look better by their foreign counterparts.  It's the only reason I can think of.

it would also stop them whinging on tele when they get sacked for failing

On 08/07/2016 at 07:47, Bullbag said:

Annoys me the crap Little gets on here, he was quality before getting a nasty shoulder injury and now most are slagging him off.

A player that will benefit from a full pre-season. 

The lad totally deserves our 100% backing. Once fully fit he is a player that could do very well under LJ.

I wouldn't write him off yet.  

Stevo

Of course we can afford his wages. We had him on loan and we are still after him. If we couldn't afford him, he wouldn't be a target.

norwich seem to be this years QPR targeting every other clubs targets. They must have a shoddy scouting network of their own.

based on what we offered Matthews last season, I think we have a step up on Norwich regardless of wages.

22 minutes ago, ciderbeans said:

Of course we can afford his wages. We had him on loan and we are still after him. If we couldn't afford him, he wouldn't be a target.

norwich seem to be this years QPR targeting every other clubs targets. They must have a shoddy scouting network of their own.

based on what we offered Matthews last season, I think we have a step up on Norwich regardless of wages.

I heard their scouts have gone on a mad summer bender & are just suggesting any player other teams want, so unproffesional from a team that's just gone down!

28 minutes ago, ciderbeans said:

Or maybe their scouts are doing their job & identifying the same decent standard of player that are available?

And because of Norwich's recent history of being in the Premier League, they are in a better position to acquire these players as they can pay more in wages & offer a better chance of promotion due to the quality of their squad.

There are going to be a limited number of players that fit all the criteria & a number of clubs are going to be after these same players.

As has been mentioned with Sam Johnstone having 10 clubs interested in him & was also mentioned in our acquisition of Callum O'Dowda, that he was hardly below the radar as other clubs were interested in him & we are grateful to of got him.

I'd hardly put it down to poor work or laziness on someone's behalf.

We seem to be picking up on a few Bournemouth targets recently, is that us or them being lazy? Or just a fact that we both have the same criteria when looking to sign players? And of course the fact that we acquired their chief scout from them so our targets may cross but if Bournemouth beat us to any deals (Mousset) it's highly unlikely to be down to them being lazy but because they can offer a better career move in the immediate future.

1 hour ago, ciderbeans said:

It's possible we only paid a % whilst he was on loan.

What?

Well, we don't. They're a far bigger club than us right now, with a better squad and probably pay bigger wages. They're a pretty realistic and attainable blueprint for a size of club we could be in a few years. 

Is this just bitterness over Canos? We won't always be first choice for players, that's football.

I believe the only thing holding up the Matthews deal is Sunderland.

They still haven't signed a new RB and what with big Sam getting involved in England talks, everything has slowed down up there.

I'm sure Matthews wants to return and I'm sure wages wouldn't be an issue.

7 minutes ago, ashton_fan said:

Re the wages situation I think we've been getting around this by offering a large signing-on fee rather than paying wages above our limit (I suspect this is what happened with Gary O'Neil)

we offered O'Neil a 2 year contract Norwich would only offer a 1 year contract, thats why we signed him

Just because we had him last season doesn't mean we can afford him next.

He was a target - but at the right price. It's become clear the price now doesn't suit us because, believe it or not, things change - his wages, our scope to afford them now that we've signed 2 Premiership players and an international from Juventus etc. etc.

We've correctly prioritised our spending on filling key positions in the spine of the team rather than on a Right back. This means there's less left in the budget now. You, me and the club would love to sign Matthews, I'm sure, but unless he's happy to take a pay cut it's unlikely to happen imo.

More likely, we are saving our pennies for one more significant signing - a centre forward - and will try to find a full back who costs a fraction of any deal for Matthews. 

So it's a pity about him, but a sensible overall strategy, don't you think?  

8 hours ago, ciderbeans said:

I don't think he would go to Norwich as he wants to be closer to his native South Wales so we are a much better option for him

1 hour ago, MattRSp95 said:

I never said I knew anything? I was just saying it would be annoying if he went to Norwich. I rate Matthews is all I was getting at! :facepalm:

5 posts now, but this is what you said.

' Not sure how true the rumour is as it was via Twitter with small followers etc, however Norwich may be keen on Matthews.'

14 minutes ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

5 posts now, but this is what you said.

' Not sure how true the rumour is as it was via Twitter with small followers etc, however Norwich may be keen on Matthews.'

Sorry if I've annoyed you and yeah I'm aware of what I said I thought it was interesting and shared that I saw someone post Norwich being keen on Matthews. I never meant it as a rock solid rumour or that I know anything! I'm just reiterating someone's apparent news. 

Sorry if I only have 5 posts as well got to start somewhere haven't we? 

5 minutes ago, MattRSp95 said:

Sorry if I've annoyed you and yeah I'm aware of what I said I thought it was interesting and shared that I saw someone post Norwich being keen on Matthews. I never meant it as a rock solid rumour or that I know anything! I'm just reiterating someone's apparent news. 

I am not annoyed in the slightest.

I was just questioning your credibility - and I shall leave it there.

41 minutes ago, MattRSp95 said:

Actually it is 6 now :P

You keeping going - this forum always finds a way to pick on something irrelevant as a reason to belittle a post.

A few years ago you weren't credited as a good poster unless you were a season ticket holder.

Now it is number of posts - laughable :yes:

Archived