IGNORED

Adam Matthews - Signed (Season Long Loan)

Eastend

43 minutes ago, Alessandro said:

Apparently Matthews has been training with the under 21's after being left home from the squads pre season tour.

Strange one, isn't it? All the indications coming from his club have consistently suggested he's regarded as a complete waste of space and doesn't stand a chance in hell of getting a game, even as cover in a position where they're currently short, to the extent that they don't include him in the first team squad for pre-season preparation purposes, and yet with another club (I.e. us) ready, willing and keen to take him, he's still left hanging about, twiddling his thumbs and waiting for something to give. How this serves the interests of Sunderland or the player is beyond me. What's the point of prolonging the situation if he's never going to play no matter what he does? Eventually, City may feel they have no option but to look elsewhere if they remain eager to sign another right back, and his club may then be stuck with a player they don't want, won't use and might  not be able to offload elsewhere. What's that all about, for Christ's sake?

3 minutes ago, cynic said:

Sunderland rag running a pretty disrespectful article about the "flop" matthews, calling him and others "deadwood" etc.

http://www.sunderlandecho.com/sport/football/sunderland-afc/bristol-city-still-want-flop-2m-sunderland-signing-1-8018628?

But the bit that stands out is  "However, Bristol City are keen to re-sign the 24-year-old, with Sunderland not standing in their way as they look further lighten the wage bill of those considered surplus to requirements."

If that is true, what's the hold up ?

You can only imagine it's dreaded A word again, perhaps he is being told there is more money to be made elsewhere?

10 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

You can only imagine it's dreaded A word again, perhaps he is being told there is more money to be made elsewhere?

You may well be right, but it has to be said that there's not been so much as a flicker of interest from anywhere else so far as I'm aware. Try and talk up the price by all means, if there's a queue of clubs trying to sign him, but if there are other people sniffing around it's being kept bloody quiet - and agents are not known for supressing news about offers for their players. More likely to invent some, in fact.

8 minutes ago, Alessandro said:

Agent in his ear, biding his time, which explains the leak of City's potential interest in Fleetwood RB, as a hurry up perhaps.

5 minutes ago, CliftonCliff said:

You may well be right, but it has to be said that there's not been so much as a flicker of interest from anywhere else so far as I'm aware. Try and talk up the price by all means, if there's a queue of clubs trying to sign him, but if there are other people sniffing around it's being kept bloody quiet - and agents are not known for supressing news about offers for their players. More likely to invent some, in fact.

Maybe, so the only other possibility is that he is happy to sit in the NE, which is cheap and rake in the money for the rest of his contract. I must say that's not the impression I got while he was here though.

8 minutes ago, Kodjias Wrist said:

I hope we dont pay 2mill for him, his wages are probably ridiculous as well. I for one would rather go for someone who isnt injury prone

Injury prone is a term I would apply to someone was regularly out due to a variety of problems, M atthews has had one injury which, judging by his games towards the end of his spell, he has recovered from.

2009–2011Cardiff City 40(1)

2011–2015 Celtic 150(5)

2015–Sunderland1(0)

2016→ Bristol City (loan)9(0

That's not the record of an injury prone player.

5 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

Injury prone is a term I would apply to someone was regularly out due to a variety of problems, M atthews has had one injury which, judging by his games towards the end of his spell, he has recovered from.

2009–2011Cardiff City 40(1)

2011–2015 Celtic 150(5)

2015–Sunderland1(0)

2016→ Bristol City (loan)9(0

That's not the record of an injury prone player.

Well if its one injury thats got him 9 appearances in 2 seasons then thats a waste of time. Didnt he miss a few games whilst on loan at us for hamstring issues?

2 minutes ago, Kodjias Wrist said:

Well if its one injury thats got him 9 appearances in 2 seasons then thats a waste of time. Didnt he miss a few games whilst on loan at us for hamstring issues?

He had recovered from his injury at Sunderland but had fallen out of favour and when he came here he had only had a handful of U21 games and no real pre-season, that explained his early form and may explain the hamstring issues as he was trying to get back to match fitness. Still only one real injury in 7 years though in my opinion.

I think the newspaper report using £2m, us a reference to what Sunderland paid for him, not what they expect to recoup. If they do want £2m, I suggest we move on.  Half of that at most....not because he isn't worth mire but Sunderland have shown their hand, haven't they.

4 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I think the newspaper report using £2m, us a reference to what Sunderland paid for him, not what they expect to recoup. If they do want £2m, I suggest we move on.  Half of that at most....not because he isn't worth mire but Sunderland have shown their hand, haven't they.

??

I remember the same with maynard. He had one bad injury with us and then went on to consistently have issues at west ham and cardiff and was never the same since.

http://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/adam-matthews/verletzungen/spieler/108878

Alot of niggles that only lasted a couple of days like any player but got a bad feeling about this guy. Same was said about baker by sheerwood tbf so hopefully nothing

1 hour ago, CliftonCliff said:

Strange one, isn't it? All the indications coming from his club have consistently suggested he's regarded as a complete waste of space and doesn't stand a chance in hell of getting a game, even as cover in a position where they're currently short, to the extent that they don't include him in the first team squad for pre-season preparation purposes, and yet with another club (I.e. us) ready, willing and keen to take him, he's still left hanging about, twiddling his thumbs and waiting for something to give. How this serves the interests of Sunderland or the player is beyond me. What's the point of prolonging the situation if he's never going to play no matter what he does? Eventually, City may feel they have no option but to look elsewhere if they remain eager to sign another right back, and his club may then be stuck with a player they don't want, won't use and might  not be able to offload elsewhere. What's that all about, for Christ's sake?

Maybe He does n't want to put in an official transfer request which would mean him losing a shed load of cash .

His club are making his life difficult in the hope that he cracks and asks to leave , then they won't have to pay up his remaining contract ? 

4 minutes ago, Kodjias Wrist said:

9 games in the last two seasons doesnt look good though does it 

It doesn't look brilliant I will agree however once he was at game fitness it was obvious he was a decent player. Though his time at Sunderland should really be discounted as he couldn't get a game which wasn't massively down to fitness 

5 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

Maybe He does n't want to put in an official transfer request which would mean him losing a shed load of cash .

His club are making his life difficult in the hope that he cracks and asks to leave , then they won't have to pay up his remaining contract ? 

Didnt realise that it worked like that i assumerd they still gor paid...i know how to save money on footy manager now!!

33 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

Yep, that's a fair shout.

2 hours ago, cynic said:

Sunderland rag running a pretty disrespectful article about the "flop" matthews, calling him and others "deadwood" etc.

http://www.sunderlandecho.com/sport/football/sunderland-afc/bristol-city-still-want-flop-2m-sunderland-signing-1-8018628?

But the bit that stands out is  "However, Bristol City are keen to re-sign the 24-year-old, with Sunderland not standing in their way as they look further lighten the wage bill of those considered surplus to requirements."

If that is true, what's the hold up ?

I personally think the £2m price tag.

I think wages would be an issue here. I've got no clue what he's on but considering he was at Celtic and then Sunderland I think it's a fair, if maybe low, guess he'd be on at least 15k a week. Can we afford that on a RB? Take into account we've probably added 50k a weeks worth of players already this season while subtracting maybe 15k. 

43 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

They certainly have, which is why this apparent stalemate is so frustrating. Player wants out, club wants rid, another club is interested. So just get on with it, FFS.

2 hours ago, Kodjias Wrist said:

How has he only played 9 games in 2 seasons?

Last season (15/16) he played  for Sunderland for 2 games and us 9 games. The season before (14/15) at Celtic he played 42 games.

He joined Sunderland under Advocaat, got injured (ankle ligaments) missed 2 months of the season and then shipped out on loan to us.

Archived