IGNORED

Parking

spudski

4 minutes ago, redysteadygo said:

Yes have used the service to Southmead Hospital due to the parking problems there.. As well as the timetable also look at the route map and enlarge and you will see the stops I mentioned. You have to reverse the timetable to access the out and in timetables and hence access the associated  route maps. It's probably quicker to walk from the P&R than wait for the bus but if you feel that you have to use the P&R correctly it is a solution. Stops are much nearer than using the P&R into the City Centre where the nearest stops are at Hotwells I believe.

Sounds a good idea. I do seem to recall though that someone said last season there was someone there who was taking numbers of cars who`s occupants didn`t get on the bus but set off on foot. No idea what happened about it though.

3 minutes ago, Red Right Hand said:

Sounds a good idea. I do seem to recall though that someone said last season there was someone there who was taking numbers of cars who`s occupants didn`t get on the bus but set off on foot. No idea what happened about it though.

How on earth can they do that with any accuracy!

4 minutes ago, Red Right Hand said:

Probably would not be able to track you going out but walking back in at a quiet time on a Saturday they may be able clock you!

3 hours ago, Monkeh said:

FFS! blaming the people who have no control over the situation isn't passing the buck, you can't blame the club for everything no matter how much you want too!!!

FFS the Club have loads of options. Why not hire coaches to bring people in from locations around Bristol? Loads of private car parks and fields unused in and around the Bristol area on Saturdays. Not difficult is it, assuming you really want to try? 

Using #gaslogic; say Sainsbury's, with massive under-provision of car parking at an existing store, decided to double the size of the store and declared that they wanted a 30% increase in the number of customers. However, they made no extra provision though for car parking. They found on opening the enlarged store no increase in customers. #gaslogic, I suppose, would blame the Council for not supplying extra buses and car parking for failure to increase footfall in their store. 

Nah. In the real world, we entered into this project knowing that Bristol Council are a total waste of space. It was clear from the outset they don't regard a stadium (which Bristolians should be proud off) as a 'public asset'. Did we really expect them to lift a finger to help? They're shits, but we knew that. No point sulking though. That ain't going to attract customers saying it's all the Council's fault you can't access the place. 

9 minutes ago, Moor2Sea said:

Loads of private car parks and fields unused in and around the Bristol area on Saturdays. Not difficult is it, assuming you really want to try? 

Which car parks within walking distance of AG aren't being used?

Fields will be no use in the winter.

And none of us know what steps the club have been taking.

If the club were to lay on coaches, which I agree seems not a bad shout from some towns/villages, I suspect they would be aiming to arrive at AG quite early given Mark Kelly's comments about getting fans in early.

19 minutes ago, Drew Peacock said:

Which car parks within walking distance of AG aren't being used?

Fields will be no use in the winter.

And none of us know what steps the club have been taking.

If the club were to lay on coaches, which I agree seems not a bad shout from some towns/villages, I suspect they would be aiming to arrive at AG quite early given Mark Kelly's comments about getting fans in early.

Obviously not ones within walking distance of AG or there would be no need to lay on coaches.

I entirely agree with Moor2Sea's post. Parking was my sole reason for favouring Ashton Vale.

If you want big crowds then making it easier for them to get to the ground by organising your own Saturday and Tuesday evening park and rides will both directly pay for themselves and indirectly fill the ground.  There should be a whole section on the website devoted to parking and this cloak and dagger secrecy over the mythic Wickes parking season tickets is typical.

If you want people to "fill the Gate" then make it easier for them to actually get there in the first place.

10 minutes ago, Eddie Hitler said:

Obviously not ones within walking distance of AG or there would be no need to lay on coaches.

I entirely agree with Moor2Sea's post. Parking was my sole reason for favouring Ashton Vale.

If you want big crowds then making it easier for them to get to the ground by organising your own Saturday and Tuesday evening park and rides will both directly pay for themselves and indirectly fill the ground.  There should be a whole section on the website devoted to parking and this cloak and dagger secrecy over the mythic Wickes parking season tickets is typical.

If you want people to "fill the Gate" then make it easier for them to actually get there in the first place.

If we didn't have an anti car council that would be easier

if we had the roads to cope with an intergrated transport system it would be easy

we don't and its not down to the club to get you to the ground 

we've coped for the last 30 years with out the need to put coaches on our fan base hasn't grown that much over the summer that we suddenly need too

people are using this to knock the club for the sake of it they can't knock the transfer window they can't knock the squad so they have to find something else to vent the same bile and the same shit

Who is knocking the club?

I and others are suggesting that it would massively benefit the club if they actively addressed the issue of where supporters can park their cars and then get to the ground and pointing out that the "we've coped" attitude means the crowds are lower than they could be.

If you have a ground that's always full then indeed, why bother, but now that we have a much increased capacity it would surely make sense to make it easier for people who have no realistic choice but to drive to attend matches.

It's not a question of knocking the club.  We all want to go to the matches and parking is the number one obstacle for many people.  The club want to get people in early to buy the pies, beer and whatever else they can sell to a captive audience.  Most of us will buy all the stuff - so why not get loads of match day coaches to get the fans to the ground by, say 1.30pm - coach passengers can drink - drivers cannot.  The coach tickets could be priced to make a profit and encourage season ticket packages.  This should be a no brainer and help to pack the Gate!

19 hours ago, Monkeh said:

out of interest, how many local to you use to go? if its a good number say 4 - 6 can you not hire a car/mini bus from a taxi firm and split the cost?, that way they can drop you off and pick you up at the time that you want and the location,

Thats what myself and the crowd I go with do,  

I know three families that used to go...unfortunately the fathers and sons all work irregular hours that change every week and sometimes have to work evenings and weekends.

I agree they could get organised, but life for them often means making a decision on the morning or day of a game.

I should imagine there are many more like that. I often have to make a decision on the day depending on what other things are going on in my life.

The luxury of deciding a couple hours before a match to go, park up and buy a ticket is much harder these days

In view of the original post I drove down to BS3 yesterday to check out the area where I normally park. Nothing has changed regarding parking restrictions, so not much difference to last season. It is a pain but if you get there early and/or are ok to walk a bit further, you should find spaces.

Interesting that the likes of Sainsbury's and others run FREE buses around to collect their customers and take them to their stores. 

A few more random thoughts. Coming up for Devon, I come in from the Portishead junction. Pass various training/school sports facilities on the way in - including, I think City's - may need a bit of hard surfacing or adaption but potential? Pub as well with a decent amount of parking space that seems under utilised. Probably got a few Community Trust mini buses lying around that could shuttle people in as well, dropping off at the stop before the subway then back up using the roundabout. 

Then you got the field next to Bemmy Cricket Club that was used then bizarrely fenced off a couple of years back - potential? The UWE Campus must have some parking - another option? Has the school got parking? 

Some/all may not be viable but, hey, worth looking surely. 

4 minutes ago, Frenchay Red said:

In view of the original post I drove down to BS3 yesterday to check out the area where I normally park. Nothing has changed regarding parking restrictions, so not much difference to last season. It is a pain but if you get there early and/or are ok to walk a bit further, you should find spaces.

Where do you park Frenchay? As parking restrictions have changed since the end of last season in many areas around the streets of the Tobacco Factory. Even the Policeman I spoke to admitted this...that is why I put the post up.

With respect...To say 'nothing has changed' is totally wrong...it maybe where you park, but not around where I've spoken about. More yellow lines and 3 hour restricted pay and display have been added.

If I turned up first game of the season not knowing this, I would struggle to find parking. Hence the post warning people of changes. I'm not sure why you would want to tell people otherwise.

6 minutes ago, spudski said:

Where do you park Frenchay? As parking restrictions have changed since the end of last season in many areas around the streets of the Tobacco Factory. Even the Policeman I spoke to admitted this...that is why I put the post up.

With respect...To say 'nothing has changed' is totally wrong...it maybe where you park, but not around where I've spoken about. More yellow lines and 3 hour restricted pay and display have been added.

If I turned up first game of the season not knowing this, I would struggle to find parking. Hence the post warning people of changes. I'm not sure why you would want to tell people otherwise.

ever thought of parking in say pill or a similar inner zone area and jumping on the bus, they run half an hourly from pill and every 15 minutes from portishead, 6,50 for a outter and 4 something for an inner, could be an option not ideal I know but unless the council start reverseing the red trousered ***** RPZ and the like its only going to get worse

10 hours ago, Bat Fastard said:

It's not a question of knocking the club.  We all want to go to the matches and parking is the number one obstacle for many people.  The club want to get people in early to buy the pies, beer and whatever else they can sell to a captive audience.  Most of us will buy all the stuff - so why not get loads of match day coaches to get the fans to the ground by, say 1.30pm - coach passengers can drink - drivers cannot.  The coach tickets could be priced to make a profit and encourage season ticket packages.  This should be a no brainer and help to pack the Gate!

Good idea and if there was a coach from the Nailsea area then I'd use if. I'm sure with the right promotions other City fans from around here would do as well. There's a huge catchment area around Bristol with numerous outlining villages. Last season the guy next to me drove up from Burnham with his two daughters.

There must be a reason why the club haven't done something like it or maybe just not thought of it.

10 hours ago, Bat Fastard said:

Plus this would cut down on traffic as well so people wouldn't have to leave early from games.............................

17 hours ago, Bat Fastard said:

I just looked at the timetable online and it gives the first stop as Dowry Square Hotwells.  Have you actually used the service - or are there more stops than shown.  I have not used a bus for more than 40 years!!

An alternative, depending on where you live, to the Long Ashton park and ride is the Shirehampton park and ride. Very reliable and stops by Dowry Square inbound and opposite the Merchants Arms return  

19 minutes ago, Moor2Sea said:

Interesting that the likes of Sainsbury's and others run FREE buses around to collect their customers and take them to their stores. 

A few more random thoughts. Coming up for Devon, I come in from the Portishead junction. Pass various training/school sports facilities on the way in - including, I think City's - may need a bit of hard surfacing or adaption but potential? Pub as well with a decent amount of parking space that seems under utilised. Probably got a few Community Trust mini buses lying around that could shuttle people in as well, dropping off at the stop before the subway then back up using the roundabout. 

Then you got the field next to Bemmy Cricket Club that was used then bizarrely fenced off a couple of years back - potential? The UWE Campus must have some parking - another option? Has the school got parking? 

Car park at the UWE! Where have I heard that before?

42 minutes ago, spudski said:

I park within a  5 to 10 min walk from the TF. So having a spare hour yesterday I thought I had better check out what has changed as I didn't want to be caught out on the first home game of the season finding "my" parking spot was no more, as has happened so many times over the recent years.

I found that the new restrictions you have reported are not in evidence where I go. Hence for me, nothing has changed.

No question that parking is a lot more difficult than it used to be, but arriving earlier and walking further can offset this.

Also to make it easier for me park can I urge everyone else to use public transport.;)

11 hours ago, Monkeh said:

If we didn't have an anti car council that would be easier

if we had the roads to cope with an intergrated transport system it would be easy

we don't and its not down to the club to get you to the ground 

we've coped for the last 30 years with out the need to put coaches on our fan base hasn't grown that much over the summer that we suddenly need too

people are using this to knock the club for the sake of it they can't knock the transfer window they can't knock the squad so they have to find something else to vent the same bile and the same shit

Wow.  People asking for some help from the club in parking and getting to the ground does not justify that response.

46 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Good idea and if there was a coach from the Nailsea area then I'd use if. I'm sure with the right promotions other City fans from around here would do as well. There's a huge catchment area around Bristol with numerous outlining villages. Last season the guy next to me drove up from Burnham with his two daughters.

There must be a reason why the club haven't done something like it or maybe just not thought of it.

I am happy to accept that the club have hand their hands full with planning applications for Ashton Vale and last season the redevelopment of Ashton Gate.

So now with a lot of seats that want filling it is time to help people who want to fill them.  There are lots of exiles for whom arriving in Bristol in the first place is a long journey; add in not knowing where to park and not having a clue about the local bus network and it all becomes a huge expedition and as such is relegated to being a once or twice a season treat rather than a fortnightly visit.

If the club sorted out a convenient car park and offered combined season ticket / car park season tickets for the second half of the season then they would know what this demand is.  If three people take it up then go back to not bothering; if it sells out in a few day well then they have just found themselves a whole new untapped revenue stream.  I would buy one.

57 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Get the x8 bus from nailsea to  bower  ashton. 5 minutes walk to ground. 

11 hours ago, Eddie Hitler said:

What's cloak and dagger about Wickes?  I accept that it's probably not an open offer, because it runs like your match ST.  I expect it's sold out and each year we all renew.

To be fair we've got ours in Wickes because of the completely inadequate disabled parking at AG.

Totally agree that parking full stop is poor.

38 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

What's cloak and dagger about Wickes?  I accept that it's probably not an open offer, because it runs like your match ST.  I expect it's sold out and each year we all renew.

To be fair we've got ours in Wickes because of the completely inadequate disabled parking at AG.

Totally agree that parking full stop is poor.

That!

Parking is poor but there are ways around it which would benefit the club.

One town I know found trade dropping off from the dreadful traffic and lack of parking so put in a park and ride which solved it for a few years; then it built up again so they put in another one at the other side.

This "they" is the council but they are doing it for the seven day a week income it brings to local businesses and the tax that these businesses pay to the council; plus the park and ride makes an income (I hesitate to say makes money, I would guess it does but that's because the council could just buy the land).

I'm not suggesting the club build its own park and ride to be used once a fortnight but the example is the same.  The council wants more people to come into town so facilitates it; the club wants more people at matches so should facilitate it.  CATS coaches take fans from Bristol to away games and can equally well take fans from out of Bristol to home games.  Pick up from big car parks at Taunton, Exeter, Gloucester, Weston whatever and deliver and collect from the ground.  If the demand isn't there then after a few months then discontinue a particular venue and try another one; minimal downside and potentially big upside.

4 hours ago, Moor2Sea said:

Don't worry, M2S - this is all in hand.

I have it on good authority (GasChat) that the diggers will be moving in within weeks and that the huge car park will be installed quicker than you can say 'Show us your wallet, Wally!'

Or, perhaps not quite yet.

4 hours ago, Moor2Sea said:

The issue you have (although yours is at the least is an original one) is cost. 

Those 'Free' buses unfortunately are not free to those who run them, I used to sign off a budget every year of £165,000 for a 'Free' bus provision for a very well known supermarket chain.

A considerable amount I think you would agree and one whilst small for a multi billion pound supermarket business would be a large commitment for our club to take on. 

As for supplying shuttle buses and running our own services again your in the territory of a public transport company that will have to run alongside the rules and costs associated with it ( Traffic Commisioner, VOSA, Local Authorities, Insurance, Fuel, Wages, Maintenance, capital outlay)

As lovely and utopian it is for us to think the club should do this, in reality it will not be worth their while financially once you factor in those costs, how often it'll be used over the period of a season and by the amounts of people involved. 

I agree totally with @Monkeh it's the Local Authority who have to be involved in the first instance as there is an overwhelming public interest and need for them to do so however the club should be involved in shaping that too. 

A metro bus stop, Ashton Vale Station should be the start. 

20 hours ago, Moor2Sea said:

I thought the vast majority of people travel by car or public transport to attractions. 

As a business with a declared intention to increase patronage by 25% I just thought it might be a good idea to provide some travel advice and, ideally, start getting some plans into action. 

Still, best all do the Bristol thing and stay in denial and pass the buck. Sometimes worth getting out the place and see what others do in fronting up issues. 

It's your fault that there's not good enough transport links at Ashton Gate. Dont try and pass the buck

Archived