IGNORED

Parking

spudski

30 minutes ago, Charliesboots said:

The issue you have (although yours is at the least is an original one) is cost. 

Those 'Free' buses unfortunately are not free to those who run them, I used to sign off a budget every year of £165,000 for a 'Free' bus provision for a very well known supermarket chain.

A considerable amount I think you would agree and one whilst small for a multi billion pound supermarket business would be a large commitment for our club to take on. 

As for supplying shuttle buses and running our own services again your in the territory of a public transport company that will have to run alongside the rules and costs associated with it ( Traffic Commisioner, VOSA, Local Authorities, Insurance, Fuel, Wages, Maintenance, capital outlay)

As lovely and utopian it is for us to think the club should do this, in reality it will not be worth their while financially once you factor in those costs, how often it'll be used over the period of a season and by the amounts of people involved. 

I agree totally with @Monkeh it's the Local Authority who have to be involved in the first instance as there is an overwhelming public interest and need for them to do so however the club should be involved in shaping that too. 

A metro bus stop, Ashton Vale Station should be the start. 

Well firstly Charlie I am glad that somebody with experience of running buses is on the thread.

Your comparison is valid if we are looking at mini park and rides on a Saturday, as has been suggested.

However if we scale it back a bit the club already runs the CATS buses, pre booked and paid for, from the ground to away games every other weekend.   What is then the obstacle to running these from a remote location to the club for home games?  Again pre-booked and if numbers are insufficient then it doesn't run that day and people are refunded.

28 minutes ago, City169 said:

It's your fault that there's not good enough transport links at Ashton Gate. Dont try and pass the buck

Well, if I didn't have to stand in a POTD queue for 2 hours and pay a booking fee, I might've had the time and the money to have done something about the transport links.

Sorry ;)

22 hours ago, Monkeh said:

its not down to the club to run public transport its down to the companys that run it, the tax payer doesn't pay for the buses or trains, First group do, the tax payer pays for the maintenance of the tracks and roads, I know that for a fact its my job to know that

Years ago - back in the late 60s early 70s a local coach company used to travel around local villages and pick up fans to watch Swindon Town and charge the customer a fee 2/6 if I remember righty. I was "persuaded" to go once by a local Swindon fan who was a well known bully - it's a long story - but it was an easy way to get to the game and back.

Would that that kind of idea still be possible these days?

34 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Years ago - back in the late 60s early 70s a local coach company used to travel around local villages and pick up fans to watch Swindon Town and charge the customer a fee 2/6 if I remember righty. I was "persuaded" to go once by a local Swindon fan who was a well known bully - it's a long story - but it was an easy way to get to the game and back.

That's prob when the buses were run by a local authority not by a franchise like first group, easier to organise then, too many people with vested interest to do it now the company's running the buses are only interested in profit so if say they put a 20 seater bus on they would want to fill it to cover the vehicle, diesel, driver etc

so if it isn't full for every single game then it's not cost effective

1 hour ago, Red Grovesy said:

@Robbored How much is a return / day ticket on the X8 or X9? Is it £6.50?

Any good for evening games?

You can only a day rider at £6.50. Bus back to Nailsea at 9.50pm for evening game. Ashton Rd slip road on the by-pass.

For a 3pm game it's  around 4.50pm same stop but it's usually running late. No need to rush at FT.

Either the x8 or x9 gets you to Nailsea.

34 minutes ago, Monkeh said:

That's prob when the buses were run by a local authority not by a franchise like first group, easier to organise then, too many people with vested interest to do it now the company's running the buses are only interested in profit so if say they put a 20 seater bus on they would want to fill it to cover the vehicle, diesel, driver etc

so if it isn't full for every single game then it's not cost effective

It was a local coach /bus company called Bodmans and the driver was a lady, very unusual back then. I'd been on their coaches before on outings as a kid.

If a 20 seater was was flagged up I reckon there would enough City fans around this area to fill it.

Bit different but I've just had my parking pass come through for Ashton park school again like last year and unlike last year (could use for all home games and rugby) this season it's just the 23 league games! No mention of this when it was renewed but when pass turned up today was with a letter explaining new rules! Strange.

58 minutes ago, East End Old Boy said:

Back in the old first division days Wems Coaches use to run services from Weston, Clevedon, Nailsea and Portishead, by far the best way to travel when 38,000 were going to be there!

I used to travel on  a Bakers coach from Weston in the mid 1960s and a bus used to also go from the bus station to within a few hundred yards of the Gate - but the bus was slower even though the coach used to pick up on the way.  It was so easy in those days before modern progress got in the way!

5 hours ago, Robbored said:

Probably, but I wouldnt want to be picked up by a coach going to watch Swindon.

Is there any way the council would be able to relax parking on double yellows for match days only up til say 6pm at night, they could operate some kind of pay scheme on certain roads near the ground almost like the London congestion charge? Has anything like this been tried before anywhere?

17 hours ago, Eddie Hitler said:

Well firstly Charlie I am glad that somebody with experience of running buses is on the thread.

Your comparison is valid if we are looking at mini park and rides on a Saturday, as has been suggested.

However if we scale it back a bit the club already runs the CATS buses, pre booked and paid for, from the ground to away games every other weekend.   What is then the obstacle to running these from a remote location to the club for home games?  Again pre-booked and if numbers are insufficient then it doesn't run that day and people are refunded.

The 1000 fans traveling away for the blue few using the same coaches 

3 minutes ago, westonred said:

They havent got back to me yet i will post reply when i get it . If theres enough interest i'm sure they'd run them

I wish I still lived in Weston if that is the case - it used to be so easy.  They used to park behind the East End -perfect!

I wonder if anyone would run a coach from Taunton????

3 minutes ago, Bat Fastard said:

I wish I still lived in Weston if that is the case - it used to be so easy.  They used to park behind the East End -perfect!

I wonder if anyone would run a coach from Taunton????

I dont know why the club dont hire Peter Carol coaches to pick up fans from Weston Clevedon Nailsea Taunton and places like that. If it was cheap and convienient it would be well supported and the club would get extra revenue

3 minutes ago, westonred said:

I dont know why the club dont hire Peter Carol coaches to pick up fans from Weston Clevedon Nailsea Taunton and places like that. If it was cheap and convienient it would be well supported and the club would get extra revenue

I totally agree.  There are lots of coach companies out there looking for business, it could be a nice bit of regular business for them.  With a hundred coaches per match and a new car park at Ashton Vale, there would be no parking problem.  If everyone got to the ground nice and early, pie and beer sales would soar and the Club would make back some cash for their efforts.

As a one off, I am travelling to and from Trowbridge on Saturday.

As need a quick getaway probably be looking to park around the Coronation Road area, anybody got any good ideas on where to park?  Or is there anybody travelling from Trowbridge that would be interested in car sharing and savinf a bit of money on parking and fuel.

26 minutes ago, westonred said:

those three there is quite a regular bus service so its understandable that they don't, Taunton has a main line train station but it would be a good idea for that area or at least gage season ticket holders in that area to see if it would be value for money,

2 hours ago, Monkeh said:

those three there is quite a regular bus service so its understandable that they don't, Taunton has a main line train station but it would be a good idea for that area or at least gage season ticket holders in that area to see if it would be value for money,

I have looked at the trains - and my son thinks that it is viable. Night matches would not work and one would have to depend upon buses, which would also be unreliable due to being caught up in the football traffic.  There is a huge problem with late trains to Taunton.  These days I tend to arrive very early so I can get a parking space and then have to stooge around until the ground opens.  Cannot drink and drive, so the Club misses out on a couple of beer sales.  Transport used to be better from Weston, when I was younger - but Taunton is further away, so there are no regular bus routes.  I looked at the "Megabus" site, but it only seems to set down in the centre of Bristol, which would leave a tricky journey out to Ashton Gate.  If anyone has used this service, maybe they can say whether or not they drop off and pick up near the ground - if they did, it might work.  It is the kind of thing that City could negotiate and then publicise in order to encourage fans and give business to the bus company - a win, win , win situation. (9 points!)

5 minutes ago, Bat Fastard said:

I have looked at the trains - and my son thinks that it is viable. Night matches would not work and one would have to depend upon buses, which would also be unreliable due to being caught up in the football traffic.  There is a huge problem with late trains to Taunton.  These days I tend to arrive very early so I can get a parking space and then have to stooge around until the ground opens.  Cannot drink and drive, so the Club misses out on a couple of beer sales.  Transport used to be better from Weston, when I was younger - but Taunton is further away, so there are no regular bus routes.  I looked at the "Megabus" site, but it only seems to set down in the centre of Bristol, which would leave a tricky journey out to Ashton Gate.  If anyone has used this service, maybe they can say whether or not they drop off and pick up near the ground - if they did, it might work.  It is the kind of thing that City could negotiate and then publicise in order to encourage fans and give business to the bus company - a win, win , win situation. (9 points!)

aye thats why I think it would be a good idea if there was interest, There should be a sleeper train that goes through taunton but I don't think its due to stop and its actually easier to get a taxi then it is getting FGW to change their time-table 

8 minutes ago, Monkeh said:

aye thats why I think it would be a good idea if there was interest, There should be a sleeper train that goes through taunton but I don't think its due to stop and its actually easier to get a taxi then it is getting FGW to change their time-table 

It is still easier to drive an get up to Bristol very early. 

Archived