IGNORED

Newcastle and Villa Tickets (Merged)

Redcliffe1990

4 minutes ago, AshtonGreat said:

What kind of logic is that? 

And I couldn't find any cheaper tickets.

It's not difficult to understand. If something sells out then the price point can't be deemed to have been set too high. 

Yes, those are the only price Catagory now available but cheaper tickets were available last week. 

6 minutes ago, BCFC Grim said:

If it sells out is it overpriced? Well yes it still is, but people are willing to pay it. It's a ridiculous price for Championship football. If any other club were changing fans that, everyone on here would be saying the same thing.

If there were/hadn't been cheaper options then I would completely agree. 

The fact that it's only the "best" seats in the house available is hardly the club's fault. 

And they are £33 not £38 to people who are likely to attend more than the odd one off glamorous fixture, so why shouldn't the club maximise revenue from those people..? 

It's supply and demand. Simple economics. 

If people will pay it, it's not too much. The "regular" fanbase have all been catered for with lower priced options. Why shouldn't day trippers (no offence meant to anyone. I know people all have different circumstances) pay top whack for what is an attractive event..? 

2 minutes ago, Bar BS3 said:

It's not "fact" though, is it? It's opinion. 

If they sell out then it's not TOO much. 

Cheaper tickets WERE available. It was your choice not to buy one before. 

I bought my mum tickets to go and see Billy Elliott at the Hippodrome and they were £50 each. 

For me, £38 (or less) to watch one of our biggest games of the season is not TOO much. 

If people think it is, then they won't go. If the prices stop people going then the club will have to look at them, or people will have to buy the cheaper tickets which were available all of last week. 

I don't think people can blame the club for them not being STH/members or not buying cheaper tickets when they were available. 

Due to other commitments, I rarely get a chance to go to Ashton Gate, so there's no sense in me buying a membership, and certainly not a season ticket. Yesterday, I was lucky enough to be freed up to watch this match, so today was my first chance to buy a ticket. I was horrified to see the prices being charged. Add on travel expenses, parking etc and I'm looking at £50 for one person. For a 90-minute football match. That's not Premier League.

The theatre is astronomical as well, but I bet those £50 seats weren't in the gods. 

Of course it's going to sell out, because mugs like me will pay the money to watch our favourite team, even though we can't afford it and it'll leave us financially short this month. That doesn't mean the club should be exploiting that.   

2 hours ago, reddogkev said:

Do we reckon the Villa game will get over 20k?  To me personally, Aston Villa doesn't seem that big a match on paper, as they've been crap for a couple of years prior to their relegation.

I actually think it's a shame that both of our biggest games have come on consecutive weekends.  For some people it'll be one or the other, so I suspect the combined attendance won't be as big as it would have been, had they been months apart.

1 minute ago, ChippenhamRed said:

I actually think it's a shame that both of our biggest games have come on consecutive weekends.  For some people it'll be one or the other, so I suspect the combined attendance won't be as big as it would have been, had they been months apart.

You've hit the nail on the head there. One or the other.

6 minutes ago, AshtonGreat said:

Due to other commitments, I rarely get a chance to go to Ashton Gate, so there's no sense in me buying a membership, and certainly not a season ticket. Yesterday, I was lucky enough to be freed up to watch this match, so today was my first chance to buy a ticket. I was horrified to see the prices being charged. Add on travel expenses, parking etc and I'm looking at £50 for one person. For a 90-minute football match. That's not Premier League.

The theatre is astronomical as well, but I bet those £50 seats weren't in the gods. 

Of course it's going to sell out, because mugs like me will pay the money to watch our favourite team, even though we can't afford it and it'll leave us financially short this month. That doesn't mean the club should be exploiting that.   

I do get your point and I'm not picking on you individually. 

Im simply saying that even if the club charged £50 for these seats and they sold out, then they would have got their price point right. 

The club can't be accountable for your distribution of finances, the timing of your decision making or your annual wage. 

They have a "product" and as with any business, they will want/need to obtain maximum revenue from that product. If people are paying it, then it's not "TOO much" 

We HAVE to compete. We all want the Tomlin's & other expensive signings on board and they need financing, especially in these days of FFP. 

12 minutes ago, AshtonGreat said:

It is not the club's fault that your circumstances only permitted you to attend once all the cheaper seats had gone.  I absolutely agree that £38 is a lot of money, too much, but there were cheaper alternatives and for most regulars a membership significantly reduces costs.

There are also travel and parking expenses associated with the theatre, and I can absolutely guarantee that you could easily pay £38 for a comparable ticket.  "In the gods" at a theatre, where the best seats are considered to be elsewhere, is very different from sitting in the second tier at a football match with a side-on view of the action.

43 minutes ago, BCFC Grim said:

If it sells out is it overpriced? Well yes it still is, but people are willing to pay it. It's a ridiculous price for Championship football. If any other club were changing fans that, everyone on here would be saying the same thing.

Whilst I agree that £38 is too much, other clubs are charging that for an elevated side-on view of the action.

The Sheffield Wednesday issue last season (which I suspect you are referring to) was that away fans had no choice but to pay £39 for a seat behind the goal, which is generally significantly cheaper - as it is at Ashton Gate.  Plus away fans are spending more to get there in the first place, generally speaking.

7 minutes ago, AshtonGreat said:

No more than £32. Even that's expensive but I would've found that more acceptable.

So £6 makes that much difference..? 

You can save that on Parking with a little bit of planning. You can save more than that by bringing a packed lunch. Buy having a pint £ 1/2 less during the week, but shopping at Aldi rather than Sainsburys. 

£6 seems a very small amount to make something affordable or not. 

Out of interest, do you have a sky subscription? 

3 minutes ago, Bar BS3 said:

I do get your point and I'm not picking on you individually. 

Im simply saying that even if the club charged £50 for these seats and they sold out, then they would have got their price point right. 

The club can't be accountable for your distribution of finances, the timing of your decision making or your annual wage. 

They have a "product" and as with any business, they will want/need to obtain maximum revenue from that product. If people are paying it, then it's not "TOO much" 

We HAVE to compete. We all want the Tomlin's & other expensive signings on board and they need financing, especially in these days of FFP. 

I know you're not, mate, and thanks for saying so.

I don't know... It just feels like everyone and everything is ripping people off these days. The world has gone mad. A pint of lager in Bath nowadays can cost up to £5.15. As someone else said, the cinema can be £20. Yes, we all have a choice whether to buy these things or not, and no one is forcing us. But everyone is entitled to have some enjoyment in life, whether that be to have a pint every now and again, or watch their favourite football team. 

As you said, we all want good players coming here, and players these days command astronomical wages - so perhaps I shouldn't be aiming my annoyance at the club as much as the industry in general. But of course, eventually it does bite clubs on the ass. You only have to look at the empty stands when clubs are shown live on Sky Sports. It also explains why fans get so vociferous when such highly paid players don't perform!

3 minutes ago, Bar BS3 said:

So £6 makes that much difference..? 

You can save that on Parking with a little bit of planning. You can save more than that by bringing a packed lunch. Buy having a pint £ 1/2 less during the week, but shopping at Aldi rather than Sainsburys. 

£6 seems a very small amount to make something affordable or not. 

Out of interest, do you have a sky subscription? 

Not hugely, but it's as much the principle as anything else.

Sky subscription - you must be joking. But you can understand why people do end up following Premier League teams when they can watch all their games much cheaper than it costs to watch their local club

1 minute ago, AshtonGreat said:

Not hugely, but it's as much the principle as anything else.

Sky subscription - you must be joking. But you can understand why people do end up following Premier League teams when they can watch all their games much cheaper than it costs to watch their local club

Actually, No, I can't understand it, but that's a whole different issue!

The problem with principles is that still paying the asking price means that it's not that much of a principle..!

At the end of the day, the only indicator of something being overpriced is if people don't buy it, not what people can afford. 

A Mars bar for £5. I've always got a fiver on me but I wouldn't buy it. 

£10k for a Bently. I don't have £10k but I'd find it if that was on offer. 

£38 for a match ticket. Selling quickly, probably means that it's not OVER priced. 

Just bought a single seat in the West Stand Lower Tier  wings for my 82 year old brother in law. £35 concession price-not cheap for an OAP !

Apparently several singles are still available despite the website saying the Lower Tier is sold out. The guy I spoke to said that 1,000 seats in the Upper Tier was the maximum due to SAG restrictions. Real shame as we would have probably sold at least another 2,000 .Hopefully fully open for the Villa match.

900 seats gap for segregation in the Atyeo seems way too many .wasted seats . Possibly there could be as many as  30 rows of 30 seats not occupied  Seen segregation gaps of only 2 or 3 seats per row  for big Prem games in other stadiums (Arsenal for example yesterday) so why are the fans so far apart ?. Another example of lost revenue as we could have sold more for our own fans or indeed Newcastle.

1 minute ago, Marlborough Red said:

900 seats gap for segregation in the Atyeo seems way too many .wasted seats . Possibly there could be as many as  30 rows of 30 seats not occupied  Seen segregation gaps of only 2 or 3 seats per row  for big Prem games in other stadiums (Arsenal for example yesterday) so why are the fans so far apart ?. Another example of lost revenue as we could have sold more for our own fans or indeed Newcastle.

Perhaps relates to the number of vomitories in the stand on each side and where the divide can be placed within the Atyeo concourse?

3 minutes ago, Marlborough Red said:

Just bought a single seat in the West Stand Lower Tier  wings for my 82 year old brother in law. £35 concession price-not cheap for an OAP !

Apparently several singles are still available despite the website saying the Lower Tier is sold out. The guy I spoke to said that 1,000 seats in the Upper Tier was the maximum due to SAG restrictions. Real shame as we would have probably sold at least another 2,000 .Hopefully fully open for the Villa match.

Segregation is enforced by police & SAG. 

I'm the club would sell more of those seats if they could. 

It's also dependent on exits, refreshments and toilet provisions on either side of the Home/Away split, I believe. 

1 minute ago, Marlborough Red said:

Apparently several singles are still available despite the website saying the Lower Tier is sold out. The guy I spoke to said that 1,000 seats in the Upper Tier was the maximum due to SAG restrictions.

When Ive rang some of the guys seem to know bugger all. Why did the club tweet an initial 1000 tickets available? Why not just say 1000 available only! I wish they just said what the reduced maximum capacity for the newcastle game is :facepalm:

6 minutes ago, Marlborough Red said:

Every 82 year old I know has more money than most so I'm sure he can afford it!

12 minutes ago, Bar BS3 said:

Actually, No, I can't understand it, but that's a whole different issue!

The problem with principles is that still paying the asking price means that it's not that much of a principle..!

At the end of the day, the only indicator of something being overpriced is if people don't buy it, not what people can afford. 

A Mars bar for £5. I've always got a fiver on me but I wouldn't buy it. 

£10k for a Bently. I don't have £10k but I'd find it if that was on offer. 

£38 for a match ticket. Selling quickly, probably means that it's not OVER priced. 

A Mars Bar for £5 is a bit of an extreme comparison. I wouldn't spend £500 to watch City. I can just about scrape the money together to pay £38, but that doesn't make it right. It becomes a treat - hence I won't be going again for a while

4 minutes ago, Bristol Rob said:

I think this is the key point. Tickets aren't over priced, but we can all probably agree they are expensive.

Absolutely agree that they are expensive, but there were cheaper options available prior to selling out. 

If it's only the top priced seats left available and they are selling well, then I'm not sure what the club can do about it. 

Just now, Bar BS3 said:

Absolutely agree that they are expensive, but there were cheaper options available prior to selling out. 

If it's only the top priced seats left available and they are selling well, then I'm not sure what the club can do about it. 

There is nothing they can (or should) do.

There are number of options for people to get hold of tickets, either in a less expensive stand or by using a membership card.

For those who might fear they aren't getting value for money on an expensive ticket they will probably need to look at makings savings elsewhere, eat before they go, not visiting the pub, avoiding the club shop and reducing their travel costs.

10 minutes ago, Bristol Rob said:

I think this is the key point. Tickets aren't over priced, but we can all probably agree they are expensive.

It very much depends if you're looking at this from a business or punter's opinion. Of course it makes business sense if the tickets are selling out (in the short term at least - I would still argue that it's not sustainable in the long term). From a punter's stance, it's over-priced. 

This thread is a good example of why people should get there house in order and get a season ticket at early bird prices. 

Even if people can't make every game I'm sure friends/ family could step in. Also there is a direct debit option now so you don't have to stump up if you can't afford it. 

People need to remember that you could have bought a season ticket for £240! Adult ! 

But I do agree £38 is expensive but it's not a bcfc problem it's a football problem. 

1 minute ago, AshtonGreat said:

It very much depends if you're looking at this from a business or punter's opinion. Of course it makes business sense if the tickets are selling out (in the short term at least - I would still argue that it's not sustainable in the long term). From a punter's stance, it's over-priced. 

Like it or not, it is a business. As is every other club. 

It's also a "Gold" Catagory match and other, less attractive games, cost less.

4 minutes ago, Spoons said:

This thread is a good example of why people should get there house in order and get a season ticket at early bird prices. 

Even if people can't make every game I'm sure friends/ family could step in. Also there is a direct debit option now so you don't have to stump up if you can't afford it. 

People need to remember that you could have bought a season ticket for £240! Adult ! 

But I do agree £38 is expensive but it's not a bcfc problem it's a football problem. 

What cuckoo land do you live in. That might not be alot to you but others it maybe. And maybe people have a little too much self respect to go around scrounging off others. Maybe they can't go all the time because they're 'getting their house in order'. Whether that's family life or paying bills.

For the record I have a ST. And actually missed the early bird prices as I was lazy, but to expect everyone to be able to afford one is ridiculous.

Archived