IGNORED

Ayling to Leeds (confirmed)

CliftonCliff

1 hour ago, billywedlock said:

Better than Little who I thought would leave. Played very well last season when side was poor. For the money a good signing, and a relative bargain. Mathews is unfit, Little rubbish. Weird move. 

100% spot on. Little was getting found out in League 1 before his injury and a lot of us said it at the time. Ayling has more to give IMO. In the current climate 750k is nothing. 

7 hours ago, Chairman Mao said:

Mediocre player with flashes of ability, glad he is gone tbh

Wouldn't say I'm glad he's gone but I think it's no huge loss to be honest. He's a defender who can't defend very well... if we end up with the best part of a million quid for him and Matthews in his place, I'd say we've done pretty well....

4 minutes ago, Flint says No said:

Something doesn't seem right about this one SL said we're not selling JK to a championship club so why should we sell our 1st choice RB at the moment to a rival championship team?

Because Ayling isn't our first choice right back. Matthews will be fit for Burton and Little will be fit as back up. 

2 minutes ago, Selred said:

Because Ayling isn't our first choice right back. Matthews will be fit for Burton and Little will be fit as back up. 

2 minutes ago, Selred said:

Even so quite important to our team as can play in quite a few positions however would understand him going to Celtic 

Is Luke in the last year of his contract? He could walk away for nothing come end of season if that's so.

Could Luke play at a higher level? Even Championship top 6? I think  not.

Could we bring in a highly promising 20 year old RB with potential? I think so. We only bring in young players with the potential to step up to a higher level.

All round, seems like good business to me.

Has Ayling ever been used for anything other than right back? No apart from maybe one or two games at CB in a back three.

his supposed versatility counts for nothing if we don't use it or need it and as we have better players throughout the squad in positions he could play, it's a good sale

To all those saying we should keep Ayling and get rid of Little; have you thought that maybe the reasons we prefer LA to ML are the exact same reasons why Leeds would rather buy Ayling? And indeed, the reason why Luke Ayling may want to move to Leeds. We can all see that he's a talented player (one of my favourites from the promotion season), so we shouldn't be surprised that other teams want to buy him and that he feels he can be first choice somewhere else

Best of luck Luke, though obviously I hope dirty Leeds get relegated

2 minutes ago, ciderbeans said:

Has Ayling ever been used for anything other than right back? No apart from maybe one or two games at CB in a back three.

his supposed versatility counts for nothing if we don't use it or need it and as we have better players throughout the squad in positions he could play, it's a good sale

Apologies if I am reading this wrong, but he played a season and a half as a CB in a back three.

21 hours ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

No veiled dig at LJ, you really are getting a bit paranoid on his behalf and seem to have a fixation on pinpointing me as an LJ detractor.

More than a bit ironic given your stated dislike and criticism of SC from day 1, and the fact that despite my previous reservations I stated my support for LJ on the day he was announced.

That won't stop me airing reasonable concerns though and if a contented squad is being dismantled there could be problems ahead, much less so if due care is being taken to ensure the incoming players are of the right fit to continue that harmony.

Let's hope they are.

Change is inevitable but for me It's about the pace of change. We know team/squad spirit plays a big part in success, so with all the changes it's a valid concern imo.

As has been pointed out that much vaunted team spirit you talk about was taking us back to L1 under SC, so in this instance change has done us good. LJ is fully aware, as pointed out in interviews, that he needs to add quality to the squad whilst retaining team spirit.

I'm certainly not paranoid, old bean, but yes I do believe you are a bit of an LJ detractor based on your attempted criticisms of him (which so far have been very tenuous) and failure to applaud his achievements and 50% win ratio thus far. I predict that trend will continue, but happy to be proved wrong if you truly are supportive of our manager.

You are correct that I was no fan of many of SC's attributes, but I was pretty transparent and honest in my assessment of him! You are claiming support of LJ but I haven't seen much to suggest that's true...

Will always class him as a Bristol City hero for being part of the double winning squad, and the squad that helped us stay in the second tier in the following year.

Thank-you, Luke!

I guess the only reason behind Ayling going ahead of Little is that perhaps Johnson thinks he'll get away with Little being on the bench more than he would with Ayling?

8 hours ago, Robin1988 said:

100% spot on. Little was getting found out in League 1 before his injury and a lot of us said it at the time. Ayling has more to give IMO. In the current climate 750k is nothing. 

Getting found out?

Sorry, but that is nonsense. At League One level in a championship winning, 99 point team, Little was excellent and contributed his fair share of assists.

Surely the real argument is that he hasn't yet proved that he could be consistently effective at our current level?

Last season he started 10 games and in those when he was fully fit, he did OK.

My hunch is that LJ doesn't expect to need him any more often than that so is fine with him in the squad as Matthews' deputy.

LA has been a good recruit for us and for that we should thank him and wish him well.

Players come and go for a large variety of reasons but one simple fact stands out at present. If we are to make upward progress, then we must recruit better players than those already here. For those judgements, we have to accept / trust LJ to make those decisions on our behalf. So far, so good , so let's hope it continues.

8 hours ago, Chairman Mao said:

Mediocre player with flashes of ability, glad he is gone tbh

I think that's a very churlish way of looking at it.  I would say a good player, with flashes of excellence.  Very sad to see any City fan saying that they're glad that someone who has been a good servant for the club is going.

2 hours ago, billywedlock said:

Ok, fair enough. Last season (i appreciate he was still not fully fir) thought Little was dire, Ayling until his leaking bladder in Nam, actually looked good, even early doors when the side was a mess. I had heard Little was the player we were looking to offload, so hence the surprise. Of course if you could mix the pace of Little with the footballing ability of Ayling, then you are talking. The coaches see them every day, so you assume they know the score. Possible we are selling both Little and Ayling mind....

I agree that Little was pretty much woeful last year. I thought he looked in much better shape in the pre season though and that he was quite sharp going forward in the games I saw. They're both liabilities defending. I love Ayling though. Just my thoughts on who was higher up the pecking order early on in pre season. I guess they could both go, opening up more time for Vyner but I see him more as a CB. Maybe there is a surprise player coming soon?

1 minute ago, JoeAman08 said:

I agree that Little was pretty much woeful last year. I thought he looked in much better shape in the pre season though and that he was quite sharp going forward in the games I saw. They're both liabilities defending. I love Ayling though. Just my thoughts on who was higher up the pecking order early on in pre season. I guess they could both go, opening up more time for Vyner but I see him more as a CB. Maybe there is a surprise player coming soon?

Someone like Joey O'Brien to give us cover right along the back line

Only Flint, Bryan and Korey from the class of 2014/15 now guaranteed to get a game. And Bryan may not start every match when Korey's back. Within a matter of months our starting XI has almost completely changed. For the better I should add. 

All the best to Ayling at Leeds (bloody hate Leeds though...): good, honest pro, tries his best. 

The change in formation has given players like him (and Bryan) a bit of an identity crisis; hard to know now their best position. 

Archived