IGNORED

Ayling to Leeds (confirmed)

CliftonCliff

Risky move letting him go I think but can understand why. Matthews clearly first choice but not yet 100% fit and Little doesn't seem to stay fit for long these days either. 

Ayling was excellent in a back 5 but couldn't play at CB in a back 4 so his game time this season would depend on the fitness of Matthews. 

Cashing in I suppose.

Oh, and if interviews and body language on the pitch is anything to go by, Flint is the happiest unhappy player I've seen in a long time.

Not sure about some of what I'm reading here at all, however I see it like this

Luke Ayling is a pro footballer with significant financial value. City have cover for Matthews and various other positions where LA could claim a place and Leeds made an offer that met the valuation of the board of Bristol City! And lets face it Leeds Utd is still a draw for many players simply because of the name

The Cheltenham issue did not help. SL was pretty upset by all accounts as was LJ and LA was forced to make a personal apology on the club website, which may or may not have been a factor in the valuation.

Good Luck Luke f it goes through. This is the clubs policy of buying young players and selling for a profit at work, we better all get used to it.

As for KA, I'm amazed that a better club than MK has not come in for him, however he has value too and the time is right to move somewhere. 

We better start getting more used to selling players (for a profit...hurrah!) as they all have a price! 

Leeds United are close to signing Bristol City defender Luke Ayling on a three-year deal. The 24-year-old right-back, who can also play in the centre of defence, has undergone a medical and looks set to become United’s eighth new signing in the next 24 hours.Head coach Garry Monk moved for Ayling in the aftermath of Sunday’s 3-0 defeat to Queens Park Rangers. Leeds lost first-choice right-back Gaetano Berardi to a hamstring injury in that match and are short of defensive options.

Read more at: http://www.yorkshireeveningpost.co.uk/sport/football/leeds-united/breaking-leeds-united-close-to-signing-bristol-city-defender-ayling-1-8061703

Like others I'd be sad to see him go as he's a more than capable squad player, but I get the sneaky that a RCB that can play RB (in the same way that Hordur plays on the left hand side) is imminent. That would give us four CB's three of whom can shift to full back in desperate times (along with two players each at LB and RB anyway). 

Ultimately Leeds will be picking up an average player at this level, he does a lot right and a lot wrong in a game but can't be faulted for effort. Matthews once fit will keep me happy anyway. That said, LA was part of the promotion team and for that I wish him all the best if he goes.

Didn't mind Ayling but players come and go . I think he never recovered from pissgate as I posted earlier. Also I was reading earlier Leeds have a couple of injuries in defence and maybe they offered city an offer they couldn't refuse. Either way good luck Mr Ayling always gave a 100% in my eyes and was part of my favourite season since I've been watching the city . I will certainly applaud him on his return even if it will be with dirty Leeds 

5 minutes ago, harrys said:

What sort of price will we get for Ayling?

Re: 2016/17 Transfer Rumours and Squad Discussions

Postby SCOTTISH LEEDS » 25 minutes ago 

Barlow Boy wrote:Phil Hay reporting we are close to signing Luke Ayling as mentioned by Si above.

Pal has just told me that the price has gone up and the deal is about to collapse due to Phil Hay publishing the story in the YEP.

Shame to see him go. During the promotion season I thought we had a player on our hands who was going to go on to become a future captain and cult hero. As noted above, it is a shame to see a versatile player move on, particularly given our lack of centre backs. 

Additionally, he appears to be well regarded in the dressing room and a player who was at the core of the squad mentality which allowed us to blitz league one. I hope we at least have one more centre back coming in to fill the void.

Archived