IGNORED

Ayling to Leeds (confirmed)

CliftonCliff

• Admin
9 minutes ago, Super said:

I was looking in the Kerrydale Street forum in the transfer thread section.

Great quote

280 games at 24 year old and came through Arsenals youth team.

I've seen worse rumours than Luke Ayling

He does look like hes been mainlining heroin right enough.

Decent wee quote on his wiki page 

Former Guardian sports writer Steve Claridge lauded Ayling for his "reading of the game, communications skills, organisation skills, aerial prowess, two footedness and use of the ball" in his scouting reports column

55 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

SC's sacking was at best debatable imo., but that's water under the bridge, things move on, and I've nothing at all against LJ.

I get over things like SC's sacking pretty quickly, it's all part of the ongoing BCFC story which continues to fascinate me.

LJ's my 22nd City manager, so I obviously don't let personal feelings get in the way of getting behind the next one, or affect my support for the club.

For whatever reason last pre season and most of the rest of the time SC was in charge last season was an absolute disaster. I have always believed that something went awry with his relationship with SL, I suspect that the truth is somewhere in the middle of any rumour circulating as usual and there was probably fault on both sides, we may never know the full truth and maybe it's better that way, SL took a calculated risk in the timing of SC's sacking and a further risk in taking on LJ, the one thing I am fairly sure of is LJ took over a dressing room that was still pretty much together making his life easier and a testament to the squads overall view of SC as their manager, I just think that they needed fresh ideas.

I will never forget the previous 2 SC seasons, especially the promotion season my best ever and only championship in 58 years of support, but I feel his time at BCFC had sadly run it's course, I was sort of underwhelmed at the appointment of LJ but he has just as SC before him won me over, the little man has one big set of balls as his substitutions pay testament to, will he always get right? of course not but as the saying goes 'he who dare wins', there seems to be a coherent and feasible transfer policy at the club and an impressive backroom team, City seem to have momentum and belief.

What I don't and will never understand is the vitriol that was and still is aimed at SC by some.

7 minutes ago, Esmond Million's Bung said:

For whatever reason last pre season and most of the rest of the time SC was in charge last season was an absolute disaster. I have always believed that something went awry with his relationship with SL, I suspect that the truth is somewhere in the middle of any rumour circulating as usual and there was probably fault on both sides, we may never know the full truth and maybe it's better that way, SL took a calculated risk in the timing of SC's sacking and a further risk in taking on LJ, the one thing I am fairly sure of is LJ took over a dressing room that was still pretty much together making his life easier and a testament to the squads overall view of SC as their manager, I just think that they needed fresh ideas.

I will never forget the previous 2 SC seasons, especially the promotion season my best ever and only championship in 58 years of support, but I feel his time at BCFC had sadly run it's course, I was sort of underwhelmed at the appointment of LJ but he has just as SC before him won me over, the little man has one big set of balls as his substitutions pay testament to, will he always get right? of course not but as the saying goes 'he who dare wins', there seems to be a coherent and feasible transfer policy at the club and an impressive backroom team, City seem to have momentum and belief.

What I don't and will never understand is the vitriol that was and still is aimed at SC by some.

Absolutely spot on. 

I rate Ayling and think he could understudy Gary O'Neil as a holding midfielder as well as cover right back and centre half. But the question in my head is are we making room in the squad for a new, upgraded, replacement? Ashton and Johnson are looking to improve the squad and also the potential of the squad, hence the signings of O'Dowda and Brownhill,

We aren't a club who can afford a big squad or wage bill. But by moving on decent players to release cash through a transfer fees and wages we may be able to sign talented young players who can play at this level and more importantly will improve year on year. Maybe the sale of Bolasie and the sell on fee we will get may ease that problem but that isn't cast in stone. I'll be sorry to see Ayling go but look forward to seeing who we sign to replace him.

Tomlin joined us, remember, because Mark Little is his bestist mate. So Mark is No.2 No.2, and unfortunately, Luke must be sold (thus Flinty is not "overly happy." He's not unhappy either mind. Just a kind of somewhere-in-between plain "happy.")

4 hours ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

I was one of many on here who weren't happy with the prospect of LJ being appointed, but as I've said, I stated my support immediately he was.

That hasn't changed.

I think my concerns about squad harmony are valid, and would be the same with so many newcomers, and ongoing departures of established squad members, under any manager.

Should I not voice these concerns just because LJ is the manager behind the changes?

We were noted for our squad harmony and fear of upsetting it was one of the first things commented on by the incoming manager, so reasonable to mention this with all the changes, or not?

As for having a problem with Kid, not particularly. He did go over the top though, imo, in that his ingrained and stated dislike of SC led to sustained criticism long before things turned sour. We have history of being on the opposite sides of the debate both on SO'D and SC, so we will be seen as 2 posters who historically often clash, but when he leaves out the personal stuff I generally rate him as a good poster.

Sorry,  I meant a problem with LJ not kid, should've been clearer. 

Of course, respect your right to an opinion on the squad harmony etc, it just doesn't really seem warranted in terms of how the squad appear. So its seems strange to criticise LJ for something that there doesn't seem to be any evidence of (unless Andy can enlighten us with the Flint claims)...

Ayling is a poor defender, his positioning is terrible, doesn't win a lot in the air, gives his man space to turn, is no good when players run at him and doesn't get back quick enough when he loses the ball upfield.

He does have a few good games going forward when teams give him space to play, however in this league, those games are few and far between.

Just my opinion but if people watch him closely I am sure a few more would be able to see what I can see.

Will support him if he plays, as I would with any City player who is clearly trying, Ayling always gives 100%, but for me, just not good enough defensively.

Out of interest, those who do rate him, what defensive qualities do you see in Ayling that I myself might be missing?

2 hours ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

Quite a statement, we're all ears Andy.

Just heard that both him and Ayling hadn't been happy since January and the exact words were , "they wanted out"

Not more to tell other then that. He did confirm an complete breakdown between Cotterill and Lansdown but to be fair, I think that was pretty obvious. 

http://m.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/37039479

Celtic have just signed a right back from Rotherham; perhaps Ayling isn't so close to the exit?

Also; what's all this about players "wanting out" and being disenfranchised?  We didn't play like that the last six months, and being they've had a full summer to agitate for a move, not sure I'm of a mind to believe we're in bother here.

Decent summer of recruitment, an opening day win, and our first 1st round League Cup win as a Championship club for donkey's years; can we be happy and anxiety free for five mins?

10 minutes ago, Andy082005 said:

Just heard that both him and Ayling hadn't been happy since January and the exact words were , "they wanted out"

Not more to tell other then that. He did confirm an complete breakdown between Cotterill and Lansdown but to be fair, I think that was pretty obvious. 

bet you heard that in a pub........

3 minutes ago, samo II said:

http://m.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/37039479

Celtic have just signed a right back from Rotherham; perhaps Ayling isn't so close to the exit?

Also; what's all this about players "wanting out" and being disenfranchised?  We didn't play like that the last six months, and being they've had a full summer to agitate for a move, not sure I'm of a mind to believe we're in bother here.

Decent summer of recruitment, an opening day win, and our first 1st round League Cup win as a Championship club for donkey's years; can we be happy and anxiety free for five mins?

Maybe you should read that again.

15 minutes ago, Andy082005 said:

Flint needs to up his game if he wants to leave.. he only has a few weeks to do so.

Archived