IGNORED

Ayling to Leeds (confirmed)

CliftonCliff

Just now, Donkeeebles said:

Be gutted if he leaves, really rate him. Can see this being another Cunningham where he left and ended getting POTY. 

Disappointed to see him go. Leaves us with limited options. Matthews isn't our player and not match fit. Little, think the jury is out on him at this level.

Heard from a friend of mine with connections at Leeds Utd an ex captain when they were last good, it's a done deal and will be announced officially tomorrow. 

27 minutes ago, formerly known as ivan said:

Assuming Stockhausen will get some credit given the stick he gets and also in particular to Ayling when he suggested he could be off...

I'd say well done getting one right but it wouldn't make me trust his word anymore. Would be the first I can recall him telling us before it was on here. 

12 minutes ago, I Am A Cider Drinker said:

In what way to you rate him? Genuine question as I want to know what I am missing.

Agree with @Donkeeebles - Ayling looks far more comfortable bringing the ball out of defence and stronger too. I would have thought Ayling could play a few more roles for us and having heard what Ashton said about utility players being bigger assets with no more emergency loans, he's an asset.

Ayling is one of those players who can give the ball away a few times cheaply and undo all the other good work. But that was a feature even of Wade Elliot. I thought he looked more convincing going forward than any other defender (don't count Bryan as one) and linked up well. No slight on Matthews.  

6 minutes ago, Alex_BCFC said:

I prefer Ayling to Little and Williams. Seems odd to let him go.

Right price (met the valuation) the manager and board liked it and that's about it! And who at this level is not going to want to go to Leeds (at least when they are not basket casing for England)

Leeds is a big draw for a player and they made a big offer due to having injuries so everything aligned in this case and we will have money to bring in others, particularly if KA goes too!

In view of the dealings this summer I have confidence that MA and LJ are comfortable for at least this week with what we have, but I can see another arrival before EO August!

Just now, Olé said:

Agree with @Donkeeebles - Ayling looks far more comfortable bringing the ball out of defence and stronger too. I would have thought Ayling could play a few more roles for us and having heard what Ashton said about utility players being bigger assets with no more emergency loans, he's an asset.

Ayling is one of those players who can give the ball away a few times cheaply and undo all the other good work. But that was a feature even of Wade Elliot. I thought he looked more convincing going forward than any other defender (don't count Bryan as one) and linked up well. No slight on Matthews.  

But Ayling will only play at City as a RB or CB, in those positions defensive qualities are needed a lot more than being able to carry the ball out from the back. From what I have seen in the league we are in now (No question Ayling was effective going forward in League 1) he doesn't have the time to be able to do that consistently. Yes its good having an option rather than no option, but if we can get 3/4 of a million for a player who won't play regularly then its good business by City

Just now, I Am A Cider Drinker said:

But Ayling will only play at City as a RB or CB, in those positions defensive qualities are needed a lot more than being able to carry the ball out from the back. From what I have seen in the league we are in now (No question Ayling was effective going forward in League 1) he doesn't have the time to be able to do that consistently. Yes its good having an option rather than no option, but if we can get 3/4 of a million for a player who won't play regularly then its good business by City

Pretty much disagree with all of that but each to their own I guess

I like Ayling but if someone offers you 750k for your reserve right back it's hard to say no.

I do agree with the people saying they'd rather keep him as backup and sell Little but no one is offering us money for Little and Ayling probably doesn't want to stay and sit on the bench.

As much as I rate Ayling (not so much Agard) think he's a real player.

If the manager doesn't see them as first team regulars and not going to improve, then I have no problem with letting them go.

Beside the point if Luke goes to Leeds and dose well, these things happen.As long as Lee promotes or brings in young hungry players that he hopes will improve us going forward that will do for me.

Anyway if your off Luke good luck son you'll do ok.

1 minute ago, Andy082005 said:

For me personally....I think he has natural footballing ability . Great little football player and at 24....still plenty of time to improve .

Yep, good footballer when given the space to play, which you would expect from a player who came out of the Arsenal academy, just doesn't help him when his position is a right sided defender.

Talking of time to improve, Matthews is actually 5 months younger than Ayling.

£750k for a player who has had little game time since his indiscretion at Cheltenham. Good business from what I can see and wouldn't be overly surprised to see Little go also.

Vyner although injured at present has been talked of highly by Johnson and wouldn't be surprised if he is used as back up once fit again.  

5 minutes ago, Andy082005 said:

For me personally....I think he has natural footballing ability . Great little football player and at 24....still plenty of time to improve .

He was great for us in 2014/15 but he's nowhere near as good as Mathews and also 24 . Can't blame him wanting to go if he'll get regular football. 

33 minutes ago, cynic said:

Players come and go, Ayling is no different and no great loss either.

Good footballer, no doubt about that, but what is his best position on the pitch ?

He's no defender thats for sure, not at this level anyway - big weak link with poor positioning, lack of discipline with bombing up the pitch, losing the ball and putting us under pressure, it happens all the time. He needs to curb that and make better decisions on when to go forward - not every bloody time he gets the ball regardless of everything else happening around him. He is also very very easily turned in defence.

He's no defender at this level imo.

If he's gone we should have time to bring in either a championship defender to augment what we have or another younger defender with more potential.

Best of luck to him, nice bloke, good footballer, just not a defender imo.

You don't rate him as a defender then? 

4 minutes ago, billywedlock said:

Better than Little who I thought would leave. Played very well last season when side was poor. For the money a good signing, and a relative bargain. Mathews is unfit, Little rubbish. Weird move. 

I think LJ rates Little more anyway, IMO. Was getting most of the time with the first team than Ayling. No matter though, as someone said, maybe it's a case of where we can get an acceptable fee for Ayling and not Little. Since they're rated similarly for backup RB, makes more sense to take the money. 

I accept players move on, but I'm a bit disappointed to see Luke leave if that is what happens.  

I think Matthews is an upgrade, but I think Luke has the versatility to be a more than useful squad member.  I'm guessing he wants more than this.  

Archived