IGNORED

Ayling to Leeds (confirmed)

CliftonCliff

4 minutes ago, STOCKWOOD RED said:

No way should we let Luke Ayling leave, he's a young footballer that plays the game the way it should be played, I for One do not want to go back to Huffball, why not develope the talent we have and keep building on the team spirit that Cotts brought to the team.

We won't be no blow overs believe me.

53 minutes ago, Strawberry2157. said:

No way would Luke ask to leave, he loves it here. Will be gutted to see him leave personally.

I agree, Ayling leaving would be a loss imo.

I also wonder about LJ's famous comment on arrival at AG about not wanting to damage 'the equilibrium of the squad or dent their spirits' when so many new players are arriving and he's seemingly being quite ruthless in culling established squad members with Agard, Ayling and possibly Little (plus Waggy) all departing relatively soon after he took over.

City made great play of our unusually contented dressing room and vibrant team spirit, which without doubt helped with our successes.

Hearing Ayling interviewed I would imagine he played his part in this, and his personality will be missed amongst his mates, and just to add IF his departure is prompted in any way by the Cheltenham incident then I think that would be an over the top reaction by LJ/the club.

11 minutes ago, ballwinningcentrehalf said:

Only out-and-out striker we'd want shot of is probably Ciftci, and although his physical presence would be a decent compliment to the likes of Kodjia and Abraham, I don't think City should be interested.

There is barely a fit centrehalf at Celtic currently so very much doubt any would be moving in the very near future.

Aye, just had a look on Wikipedia at Celtic's squad. Quite a lot of defenders, but are they largely unfit? Then again, with Ayling coming in that's one more defender in the squad. Perhaps it's a complete random player- a winger perhaps (seeing as they just signed Sinclair)? I reckon we could still do with a right-footed winger. Or maybe it's no one. Just seems like quite a random club to be in for one of our reserve defenders 

13 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

I agree, Ayling leaving would be a loss imo.

I also wonder about LJ's famous comment on arrival at AG about not wanting to damage 'the equilibrium of the squad or dent their spirits' when so many new players are arriving and he's seemingly being quite ruthless in culling established squad members with Agard, Ayling and possibly Little (plus Waggy) all departing relatively soon after he took over.

City made great play of our unusually contented dressing room and vibrant team spirit, which without doubt helped with our successes.

I actually agree Ayling would be a loss, I think he is C'ship standard.

The rest of your post is yet more veiled digs at LJ. There is no indication whatsoever that the dressing room is anything other than in very good spirits at the moment and that we have a fighting spirit to succeed.

I'm glad LJ has a ruthless side to him in culling the squad of players that aren't up to C'ship standard such as Wagstaff, Little and Agard. Whilst also being able to bring in obvious quality like Tomlin, Abraham, O'Dowda etc

1 minute ago, Kid in the Riot said:

The rest of your post is yet more veiled digs at LJ. There is no indication whatsoever that the dressing room is anything other than in very good spirits at the moment and that we have a fighting spirit to succeed.

I'm glad LJ has a ruthless side to him in culling the squad of players that aren't up to C'ship standard such as Wagstaff, Little and Agard.

I agree with every word and punctuation mark in this post.

The spirit looks more than fine to me judging by Saturday.

32 minutes ago, chipdawg said:

Anyone considered that the striker or centre half (alledgedly) coming in could be from our green-striped cousins in the north and Ayling is a make-weight in the deal? Unfortunately I know nothing about Celtic's squad so I have no idea who that might be. However, given the size of our squad, if Ayling and Agard are off this week, the players who will replace them won't be far behind

They ain't no 'green striped (hooped?!) cousins' of mine...

First choice last Saturday, in a team performance where LJ said everyone of the starters played well.

Left out yesterday, and his replacement played in a performance where our goalie is man of the match.

So this Saturday a weakened defence on current form of players.

This makes no sense, unless a large chunk of cash is involved. Reminds me of the selling of Cunningham logic, well we are already short of players this just leaves us one more short as quoted by SC.

11 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

I'm glad LJ has a ruthless side to him in culling the squad of players that aren't up to C'ship standard such as Wagstaff, Little and Agard. Whilst also being able to bring in obvious quality like Tomlin, Abraham, O'Dowda etc

bang on kid, when mathews is fit ayling won't get a look in and at his age he will want to play, he won't be doing that here,

1 minute ago, Dave said:

First choice last Saturday, in a team performance where LJ said everyone of the starters played well.

Left out yesterday, and his replacement played in a performance where our goalie is man of the match.

This makes no sense, unless a large chunk of cash is involved. Reminds me of the selling of Cunningham logic, well we are already short of players this just leaves us one more short as quoted by SC.

of course how much longer is there on his contract?, if it's only this season he may have stated his intention not to sign a new one, so we are cashing in early.

4 minutes ago, Dave said:

he is a right back, we already have Mathews Little and Vyner (although vyner is injured) so we aren't short in that postion 

1 minute ago, Kid in the Riot said:

I'm glad LJ has a ruthless side to him in culling the squad of players that aren't up to C'ship standard such as Wagstaff, Little and Agard.

No veiled dig at LJ, you really are getting a bit paranoid on his behalf and seem to have a fixation on pinpointing me as an LJ detractor.

More than a bit ironic given your stated dislike and criticism of SC from day 1, and the fact that despite my previous reservations I stated my support for LJ on the day he was announced.

That won't stop me airing reasonable concerns though and if a contented squad is being dismantled there could be problems ahead, much less so if due care is being taken to ensure the incoming players are of the right fit to continue that harmony.

Let's hope they are.

Change is inevitable but for me It's about the pace of change. We know team/squad spirit plays a big part in success, so with all the changes it's a valid concern imo.

2 hours ago, RedM said:

BBC reporting Ayling is going to Celtic. Always liked Ayling, popular in the dressing room and plays the game with a smile on his face. Another Wagstaff though maybe, and I don't mean that in a bad way, but just maybe good enough for the Championship but not outstanding. Will do well in League One, but Celtic?

Are they? I've seen it in Bristol Post and then seemingly copied by the Scottish Daily Record, but nothing as reliable as them. If they get involved I'll believe it but this seems a bit farfetched otherwise...

3 minutes ago, Monkeh said:

he is a right back, we already have Mathews Little and Vyner (although vyner is injured) so we aren't short in that postion 

Wigan game Ayling was first choice, and reading between the lines of LJs comments, our best right back performance of the season so far.

I accept that we have cover, but I want the best option playing for our club, on current form that would be Ayling.

It's a shame if he is going as he's a good player, a good lad, offers us cover in a few positions and to be honest I'd much rather it was Little that was leaving.

However, if Celtic have offered us a good fee for him, which surely they have as we're not desperate to sell and he started on Saturday, then it does make sense really. We're selling a someone in a position in which we have three senior players. 

He was poor last night, but let's be honest Matthews will play pretty much every game when fit, so one of Ayling and Little would have ended up a long way from the team. In my ideal world somebody would have come and taken Little from us and Ayling would have stayed to offer competition and cover for Matthews, but as I say if Celtic have offered us a good fee for him then unfortunately it does make sense to sell.

Plus I'm not actually sure it would be particularly fair on Ayling to not let him join a club that will potentially be in the CL group stages when his role here is likely to be nothing more than backup.

Still, nice to see LJ receiving some stick for the heinous crime that is buying and selling some players from a squad which was bumbling along pretty hopelessly near the bottom until he came in.

15 minutes ago, Manon said:

Seems a lot of people are assuming the potential transfer is the result of LJ streamlining the squad or a falling out. 

Could it not be a simple case of Ayling wanting the move, and the club not wanting to stand in his way?

Indeed. Ayling and Agard both know that after this summers transfer activity, they will be more than likely "squad" players considering the calibre of players we have or have brought in in their positions .....they are young and need to be playing football and more than likely can only see that happening by moving on.

Prior to any of this speculation, MA suggested on Monday we are after a defender and forward so streamlining or trimming the squad does not appear to come into the equation.

37 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

34 minutes ago, Esmond Million's Bung said:

I agree with every word and punctuation mark in this post.

Every word? You're now agreeing that Agard is not Championship standard?

Wow, considering the prolonged arguments you and I had about Agard last season that's a truly incredible turnaround.

Just now, Nogbad the Bad said:

Every word? You're now agreeing that Agard is not Championship standard?

Wow, considering the prolonged arguments you and I had about Agard last season that's a truly incredible turnaround.

My arguments about Agard were never about his standard, it was about he was all we had for much of the season and the language of vitriol aimed at him.

31 minutes ago, Dave said:

Wigan game Ayling was first choice, and reading between the lines of LJs comments, our best right back performance of the season so far.

I accept that we have cover, but I want the best option playing for our club, on current form that would be Ayling.

he was at fault for the goal, because he is gung ho and keeps getting caught in possession 

40 minutes ago, Robin1988 said:

Are they? I've seen it in Bristol Post and then seemingly copied by the Scottish Daily Record, but nothing as reliable as them. If they get involved I'll believe it but this seems a bit farfetched otherwise...

I'm pretty sure I read it on their website earlier, can't see any mention now. I guess I was wrong, sorry. 

1 hour ago, Kid in the Riot said:

51 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

No veiled dig at LJ, you really are getting a bit paranoid on his behalf and seem to have a fixation on pinpointing me as an LJ detractor.

More than a bit ironic given your stated dislike and criticism of SC from day 1, and the fact that despite my previous reservations I stated my support for LJ on the day he was announced.

That won't stop me airing reasonable concerns though and if a contented squad is being dismantled there could be problems ahead, much less so if due care is being taken to ensure the incoming players are of the right fit to continue that harmony.

Let's hope they are.

Change is inevitable but for me It's about the pace of change. We know team/squad spirit plays a big part in success, so with all the changes it's a valid concern imo.

Tbf, I was going to ask if you weren't happy that LJ came in in the first place as it does come across that you are looking to portray him in an unreasonably negative light, by making - what looks to me- like unnecessary assumptions about events. Unless you know things about the squad that we don't of course.  

I don't know anything about @Kid in the Riot's perceived paranoia but it definitely looks like you have a problem with him to the casual observer. 

11 minutes ago, Monkeh said:

he was at fault for the goal, because he is gung ho and keeps getting caught in possession 

Full backs are told to go forward. That goal was more down to nobody tracking Gilbey.

Archived