IGNORED

Joel Ekstrand : NOW SIGNED

GrahamC

Wasnt his fitness a factor in him being released from Watford? And then failing a medical at Leeds. I can't see this being anything but a gamble. Only thing I'd say is judging by the comments from players in pre season I think I've got the confidence we have a good enough set up to make a decent decision on how fit he is and much of a gamble this is

Let's be honest with ourselves. We need to establish in this league and then hopefully start to challenge for promotion.

That's not going to be easy. We will not have money to throw around like some of the teams and this guy if he can prove

that he is fit is the type we should be looking at. Good pedigree and with the likes of O'Neil etc are the ones we can afford.

We will  I'm sure bit by bit become one of the better side in this league but we must be patient. We have young players coming through

i.e under 21. If we continue the way we are going I am confident that with luck our aim (prem) will happen. Not perhaps this season

but next.

8 hours ago, Citychuds said:

Because in fairness a medical doesn't prove long term fitness does it and there are enough doubts. Always seems strange a player can fail a medical with one club and pass with another. Hope it happens personally. 

It's down to the personal opinion of the Doctor as the human body is a complex thing. They're probably relying as much on his injury record as on what they can see from a scan of his knee.

If there's obvious damage it's a no but usually there's not going to be this.

Shame you can't get a warranty as you do with cars to cover the leg equivalent of the cam belt snapping the day after you buy it.

He's presumably not going to take a pay to play so if he's running about fine and there's no obvious damage a one year contract seems worth a punt.

1 hour ago, Eddie Hitler said:

It's down to the personal opinion of the Doctor as the human body is a complex thing. They're probably relying as much on his injury record as on what they can see from a scan of his knee.

If there's obvious damage it's a no but usually there's not going to be this.

Shame you can't get a warranty as you do with cars to cover the leg equivalent of the cam belt snapping the day after you buy it.

He's presumably not going to take a pay to play so if he's running about fine and there's no obvious damage a one year contract seems worth a punt.

Think Paul McGrath .

Personally this development is a bit of a concern for me. 

Rumoured to be keen on him a while back. Given his pedigree he is still a free agent and no other club has gambled on him (Leeds preferred Ayling, for example) and it's well into August now. If the idea was to give him a trial, why not just do it back in pre-season?

The fact we go back to him now is perhaps a sign that we are not getting on too well with our other or main CB targets?

I get the trial is 'no pressure' but it smacks a little of desperation. 

10 hours ago, Citychuds said:

Because in fairness a medical doesn't prove long term fitness does it and there are enough doubts. Always seems strange a player can fail a medical with one club and pass with another. Hope it happens personally. 

Funny you bring that up...was only talking yesterday to a chap who is involved in this sort of thing.

His Championship club sold a player recently to another, and they all thought he'd fail the medical. They were shocked the buying Club passed him, and they bought him at a massive profit and the lad got himself a new contract with wage increase.

20 minutes ago, Alessandro said:

Rumoured to be keen on him a while back. Given his pedigree he is still a free agent and no other club has gambled on him (Leeds preferred Ayling, for example) and it's well into August now. If the idea was to give him a trial, why not just do it back in pre-season?

The fact we go back to him now is perhaps a sign that we are not getting on too well with our other or main CB targets?

we had no centre back on the subs bench last night......we need more than 1 centre back

12 minutes ago, RedRaw said:

we had no centre back on the subs bench last night......we need more than 1 centre back

In my opinion we need a centre back capable of playing at right back, an out and out centre back and a striker.

We could then let Little and Williams depart.

If Kodjia is to go, expect LJ would be in for an additional forward as well.

So potentially:

Little, Williams and Kodjia out.

CB/RB, CB & 2x Strikers in - Liam Moore, Joel Ekstrand, Jordan Rhodes and Frazier Campbell - :fingerscrossed:

49 minutes ago, Alessandro said:

To me it ' smacks ' of a smart move.

Instead of a prima donna who expects to waltz into the first team thanks to his big transfer fee , we could have an international player who is going to work his socks off to get his career back on track for peanuts.

If It works out we have a valuable asset , if it does n't there is relatively little risk .

I'd pretty much agree with the Major.

The only problem is that should he be offered terms he will be woefully short of match fitness having been out for a year thus being several weeks at best from offering any realistic 90 min cover in event of injury/suspension.

On the flip side he was very popular at Watford, instrumental in their promotion from the Championship and a former International.

Could be unexciting exciting or exciting unexciting. Tough call even if proven medically fit/injury free.

• Admin
49 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

Instead of a prima donna who expects to waltz into the first team thanks to his big transfer fee , we could have an international player who is going to work his socks off to get his career back on track for peanuts.

If It works out we have a valuable asset , if it does n't there is relatively little risk .

I agree. We may also have offered him a trial earlier but he felt he could still get a deal without a trial somewhere. That didn't happen and now we look to benefit. 

1 hour ago, RedRaw said:

1 hour ago, Major Isewater said:

Fully aware we most likely need two more in defence and this could prove to be a smart move. Nothing to lose on our part.

But as I say, this guy has been on the radar for a while now and given we are only offering him a trial, why wasn't it done 4 weeks ago to give him more of a chance to get up to speed and settled in? At this stage we don't really want to be messing around with trials, we need to move quickly.

As I said, it is a little bit like we considered him four weeks ago, said no thanks, looked elsewhere, had little success and have gone back to him.

If on the other hand he turned down a trial before hoping for a permenant move, and has now re assessed, may be a different matter.

I hope it works out though because he does have good experience.

48 minutes ago, Alessandro said:

But as I say, this guy has been on the radar for a while now and given we are only offering him a trial, why wasn't it done 4 weeks ago to give him more of a chance to get up to speed and settled in? At this stage we don't really want to be messing around with trials, we need to move quickly.

Maybe he wasn't available? Maybe he was injured? He was linked heavily with Leeds and it never happened.

It's worth mentioning that although Joel was 'released' by Watford, he was actually offered a contract by them.

He refused the contract, because he knew the chances of making the first team again would be quiet remote. Especially as Watford have brought in some good defenders.

He wants to go somewhere where he will get a better chance of actually playing, and that's why he didn't sign the contract he was offered.

His knee injury was a really bad one...ligament and break...would have been career finisher in the past. However things have moved on...it's remarkable what Athletes can come back from.

He had the same surgeon work on him as Xavi and Eto'o

Lyndsey Vonn the downhill skier had a far worse injury and has come back just as strong as before within a year...and skiers have far more forces on their knees than footballers.

Fingers crossed it works out.

1 hour ago, Alessandro said:

Not sure of his fitness over the summer, but if the rumours are true he failed his medical at Leeds.

Yep, but didn't Mark Bunn fail one with us last summer and then go on to play in the Prem with Villa?

As discussed players fail medical school at some clubs and then not at others.

All I'm saying is, given his pedigree and that he is a free agent, I'm suspicious about the fact that A) No one else has signed him up yet and B) It's taken us this long to offer him a trial.

But I'd be very happy for him to prove his fitness here.

1 hour ago, spudski said:

It's worth mentioning that although Joel was 'released' by Watford, he was actually offered a contract by them.

He refused the contract, because he knew the chances of making the first team again would be quiet remote. Especially as Watford have brought in some good defenders.

He wants to go somewhere where he will get a better chance of actually playing, and that's why he didn't sign the contract he was offered.

His knee injury was a really bad one...ligament and break...would have been career finisher in the past. However things have moved on...it's remarkable what Athletes can come back from.

He had the same surgeon work on him as Xavi and Eto'o

Lyndsey Vonn the downhill skier had a far worse injury and has come back just as strong as before within a year...and skiers have far more forces on their knees than footballers.

Fingers crossed it works out.

Yes, but do skiers do Saturday-Tuesday-Saturday-Tuesday spud?

Archived