IGNORED

Joel Ekstrand : NOW SIGNED

GrahamC

While I am delighted with the way the club is going and, for the first time for a long while, feel truly optimistic, I do have slight misgivings over the number of foreign players we are signing.  I would hate us to end up like Arsenal with a team full of players from the four corners of the world with unpronouncable names and no local connections at all.  Obviously we cannot field a side of eleven players from Nailsea but I sincerely hope we retain our Bristol influence and develop more Joe Bryans etc.  In the meantime.....COYRs.

4 minutes ago, Red Bill said:

While I am delighted with the way the club is going and, for the first time for a long while, feel truly optimistic, I do have slight misgivings over the number of foreign players we are signing.  I would hate us to end up like Arsenal with a team full of players from the four corners of the world with unpronouncable names and no local connections at all.  Obviously we cannot field a side of eleven players from Nailsea but I sincerely hope we retain our Bristol influence and develop more Joe Bryans etc.  In the meantime.....COYRs.

We can't put the football world back to the 1950s.

And sometimes we see the past through rose tinted spectacles.

It's good to remember the past but in truth in over 60 years of watching City we have never fielded a local side.  The first City winger I thrilled to was Alec Eisenstrager, a German POW, who was much loved by the fans.

17 minutes ago, Red Bill said:

until the whole coaching system over here right down to youth levels is overhauled and replaced with one that works, we wont be able to field a team of local players AND progress.

With the reluctance of the FA we are probably looking 15 years minimum (time for the first generation of players going through a working system from a young age all the way to the verge of seniors) but probably will be nearer 30 if it happens

2 hours ago, Ivorguy said:

It's good to remember the past but in truth in over 60 years of watching City we have never fielded a local side.

Cashley, Collier, Fear, Merrick, Tainton, Mabbutt, Cheesley, Garland, Rodgers.....all were around the team/squad at pretty much the same time...all are Bristolian....seems pretty local to me?

I agree with this. Personally I would like us to sign abroad as that's where the value for money is. But I would like us to also put a lot of money into the academy! 

Why is it such a great thing to say we have a team full of Englishmen if we didn't help them get to the stage they are at? 

If we had homegrown talent as well as foreigners who we could potentially sell for more than we have bought for, I think we could be onto a very successful business module.

1 hour ago, CiderHeadDan said:

I agree with this. Personally I would like us to sign abroad as that's where the value for money is. But I would like us to also put a lot of money into the academy! 

Why is it such a great thing to say we have a team full of Englishmen if we didn't help them get to the stage they are at? 

If we had homegrown talent as well as foreigners who we could potentially sell for more than we have bought for, I think we could be onto a very successful business module.

Bobby Reid, Joe Bryan, Scott Golbourne, Wes Burns...

We have also signed a host of youngsters for the academy who are English.

As said before a huge problem is with the coaching at lower age groups and through the system. Another issue is that clubs with a better rated academy can pinch our best prospects and that the club has been so slow setting up its scouting of youth in the area that clubs like West Brom and Southampton are established in this area.

14 hours ago, EnderMB said:

I've not seen much on here, but on Facebook there's loads of people that aren't too pleased with this transfer.

Ignore most on Facebook it seems full of loathing,

read on there the other day one of our "fans" slagging others off for not singing in the family section and not selling out the Rotherham end,

8 hours ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Cashley, Collier, Fear, Merrick, Tainton, Mabbutt, Cheesley, Garland, Rodgers.....all were around the team/squad at pretty much the same time...all are Bristolian....seems pretty local to me?

Almost 40 years ago,

we haven't had that quality since, if you want us to field all the local talent we'd be no higher then the gas I'm sorry to say :( 

6 hours ago, CiderHeadDan said:

You mean exactly what we do now?

8 hours ago, JamesBCFC said:

Bobby Reid, Joe Bryan, Scott Golbourne, Wes Burns...

We have also signed a host of youngsters for the academy who are English.

As said before a huge problem is with the coaching at lower age groups and through the system. Another issue is that clubs with a better rated academy can pinch our best prospects and that the club has been so slow setting up its scouting of youth in the area that clubs like West Brom and Southampton are established in this area.

Yeah I'm not saying we haven't got academy players (I probably didn't word my post the best) but I'm just talking in general I think that this is the business module we need to keep implying.

It would really help if we had a category one status academy as it will only lead to more players coming out of the academy.

I guess the point I was trying to make is, id rather have foreigners who are value for money than just buying a player purely because they're English. 

11 hours ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

I think you inadvertently make my point for me.  The players you quote were in different teams at different dates. Cheesley, Fear, Garland ???

9 minutes ago, Ivorguy said:

I think you inadvertently make my point for me.  The players you quote were in different teams at different dates. Cheesley, Fear, Garland ???

Our most successful team of that period contained 7 or 8 Scotsmen I think. A lot of them may have come through the youth structure of that time but they were early imports like a few of the kids we are adding now. 

16 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

Our most successful team of that period contained 7 or 8 Scotsmen I think. A lot of them may have come through the youth structure of that time but they were early imports like a few of the kids we are adding now. 

The promotion squad of 75-76 (total 18) contained 7 Scots but only Sweeney, Gow and Ritchie were regular starters.

There were also 8 Bristolians, plus Drysdale, Whitehead and Mann.

Cashley, Shaw, Bond, Drysdale, Sweeney, Gow, Bain, Collier, Rodgers, Merrick, Tainton, Mann, Ritchie, Cheesley, Whitehead, Brolly Fear, Gillies.

Bain was a youth and didn't make any apps. that season, in fact only 5 (plus 5 subs.) in total for the club. Brolly and Gillies, though not consisently first choice starters, played an important part, and Keith Fear appeared 14 times. 

Ray Cashley was ever present so no openings for Shaw (or Bond) and David Rodgers, though having already made his mark in previous seasons missed the whole campaign, presumably through injury.

We had a fairly regular starting line up with many players either ever present or only missing a few games: Cashley, Sweeney, Drysdale, Gow, Collier, Merrick, Tainton, Ritchie, Cheesley and Mann all appeared in the majority with Fear/Whitehead/Gillies and Brolly filling in where necessary. Only 1 sub. in those days of course, and not always used.

So, 3 Scots were first choice regulars with Gillies and Brolly amongst those either filling in or vying with each other for a starting place, and in the end appearing in about half the games each.

Of the 7 Scots only Ritchie and Gow (and Bain) were not signed as pros. from other clubs.

2 hours ago, Ivorguy said:

Keith Fear was with us from 1969 to 1978

Paul Cheesley was with us from 1973 to 1976

Chris Garland's second spell with us was from 1976 - 1983

So, with the overlaps I'd say they were in and around the same teams/squads for a while?

Archived