IGNORED

Most over rated groups of all Time

Major Isewater

14 minutes ago, Red Right Hand said:

We allowed solo artists? Elvis Presley, I know I was a youngster in the 60s so wasn`t aware of the changes in music that were happening but I don`t think he was all that.

WHAT!!?? Ok, ok, it's a game of opinions but still? ELVIS? Agreed the late stuff when he'd turned into overweight, rhinestone Elvis was a bit sad but thought the early to mid career stuff was fantastic. If you can stand it, try to find the 1968 Comeback Concert on YouTube - unplugged and in front of a small audience. My personal favourite: Lonesome Tonight, but there's load of great songs....

9 minutes ago, Calculus said:

WHAT!!?? Ok, ok, it's a game of opinions but still? ELVIS? Agreed the late stuff when he'd turned into overweight, rhinestone Elvis was a bit sad but thought the early to mid career stuff was fantastic. If you can stand it, try to find the 1968 Comeback Concert on YouTube - unplugged and in front of a small audience. My personal favourite: Lonesome Tonight, but there's load of great songs....

I guess I`m just not a fan of all the old rock and roll stuff really. I appreciate what a stunning impact it had on society at the time but I just find it all a bit boring. It comes of not getting into music until the late 60s I suppose and stuff like Zeppelin, Floyd, The Doors and Sabbath I guess. Like you say mate, all about opinions and it would be a boring old world if we all liked the same thing (BCFC aside of course!).

I imagine if we had a `best band ever` thread and I was to say The Clash or The Smiths for instance there would be many telling me why I was wrong (although of course I wouldn`t be:yawn:)

5 minutes ago, Red Right Hand said:

I guess I`m just not a fan of all the old rock and roll stuff really. I appreciate what a stunning impact it had on society at the time but I just find it all a bit boring. It comes of not getting into music until the late 60s I suppose and stuff like Zeppelin, Floyd, The Doors and Sabbath I guess. Like you say mate, all about opinions and it would be a boring old world if we all liked the same thing (BCFC aside of course!).

I imagine if we had a `best band ever` thread and I was to say The Clash or The Smiths for instance there would be many telling me why I was wrong (although of course I wouldn`t be:yawn:)

Sounds like I'm older by around 5 years or so, which changes things. Agree The Clash and The Smiths were excellent, although the best band ever was The Beatles, obviously....☺

5 minutes ago, Calculus said:

Sounds like I'm older by around 5 years or so, which changes things. Agree The Clash and The Smiths were excellent, although the best band ever was The Beatles, obviously....☺

I was born in 59. I do think what you first got into does pretty much mark you for the rest of your life as you tend to gravitate towards `similar` (if there is such a thing in music) stuff and dismiss anything that doesn`t appeal. The fact remains though, if you are a music fan, the last 50 odd years have been a wonderful time to be alive.

So some people hate Oasis, some people love them. Ditto, Elvis.  

Music is therefore clearly subject to the laws of quantum physics.

All music is simultaneously magnificent and shite.

it only tips one way or the other when someone listens to it.

And then it depends on the listener (or how pissed they are) and not the music itself.

I think this is a 1.15 in the morning sort of post - apologies!

I don't think The Beatles are overrated. Best band this country has ever produced, by a distance. Their back catalogue is astonishing. 

At their best the Stones are magnificent. But they haven't made a genuinely great record in at least 30 years.

I agree about the Roses. My favourite band for many years, and I still love their early music, but no they don't deserve their godlike status.

Coldplay aren't overrated. A Rush Of Blood To The Head is bloody brilliant and they're one of the best live bands around.

The Arctic Monkeys are meh. 

9 minutes ago, Leveller said:

I know it's obvious and MOR but nobody's mentioned bloody Abba.

No, i won't have that.  You don't have to like Abba, but you have to admire what they did.  Incredibly good songwriting - they knew exactly what made a hook and churned the hits out again and again.  Certainly not overrated.  Hated them at the time, but admire them immensely in retrospect.

1 hour ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

No, i won't have that.  You don't have to like Abba, but you have to admire what they did.  Incredibly good songwriting - they knew exactly what made a hook and churned the hits out again and again.  Certainly not overrated.  Hated them at the time, but admire them immensely in retrospect.

Fantastic tunes, dire lyrics. Clever hit makers but incredibly shallow. Loathe them.

On 2 September 2016 at 10:42, GrahamC said:

Manic Street Preachers and Pearl Jam, too.

Utter dross.

Manic Street Preachers - You having a laugh!!? While the band have very much faded in terms of creativity in more recent times, Generation Terrorists and Holy Bible are brilliant. The rawness of both albums is awesome.

• Admin
13 hours ago, AshtonGreat said:

You went??

Got free tickets, didn't stay to the end......I never expected him to be that bad!  Contrast that with the Neil Diamond concert at the Gate, got free tickets for that one and whilst I wasn't really looking forward to it, was pleasantly surprised, quite a performer.

Maybe that's the best way, was at a festival and on the first night UB40 were the headline act, I wasn't even going to bother watching, really not my taste in music, glad I did, they were awesome, bossed it, and had the whole 25K of crowd on there feet, I was amazed as I thought they'd be shite, they certainly weren't, worked the crowd and played like true Pro's.

On 9/2/2016 at 15:16, Red-Robbo said:

Oasis take 1st, 2nd and 3rd place.

Actually I've had a rethink.

Stone Roses in at number 2 and New Order at number 3.

******* Mancs. Always ready to big up what is a fairly mediocre collection of suburbs masquerading as a city.

12 hours ago, Red-Robbo said:

Actually I've had a rethink.

Stone Roses in at number 2 and New Order at number 3.

******* Mancs. Always ready to big up what is a fairly mediocre collection of suburbs masquerading as a city.

6 hours ago, AshtonGreat said:

Gotta agree with you on New Order. So bland.

My favourite band of all time, latest tribute-act reincarnation aside.  Trying hard to not bite....

Archived