IGNORED

Most over rated groups of all Time

Major Isewater

25 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

I've only heard a couple of tracks, and while I admire the lack of stadium bombast, they struck me as rather derivative. Would need to hear a full album to give them a fair assessment though.

Probably a fair assessment already RR! Try it, you might like a few tracks but certainly bordering derivative.

42 minutes ago, One Team In Keynsham said:

Assuming not a wind-up, I am interested as to what metric(s) you are basing this on.

Isn't in an age thing, or maybe music you grew up listening to that your parents played? For me Nirvana and The Stone Roses are untouchable, they were around in my late teens / early 20s when you're out on the lash non stop, having it drip fed into your brain. My Dad always said Jimmy Greaves was the best footballer ever, your heroes are never quite the same as you get older. I'll never see a better footballer than Glenn Hoddle and Kurt Cobain is an absolute musical genius. I don't need / want to have my mind changed about that

2 hours ago, MichaelRobartes said:

Is that a reference to his complex?

Ha, I wish I'd meant that error!

1 minute ago, Woodsy said:

Isn't in an age thing, or maybe music you grew up listening to that your parents played? For me Nirvana and The Stone Roses are untouchable, they were around in my late teens / early 20s when you're out on the lash non stop, having it drip fed into your brain. My Dad always said Jimmy Greaves was the best footballer ever, your heroes are never quite the same as you get older. I'll never see a better footballer than Glenn Hoddle and Kurt Cobain is an absolute musical genius. I don't need / want to have my mind changed about that

Ha, I wish I'd meant that error!

You just had to be there and if you were, those bands just take you straight back. The 90s were awesome.

58 minutes ago, Gazred said:

You just had to be there and if you were, those bands just take you straight back. The 90s were awesome.

Exactly. I've turned into the kind of people I used to laugh at, still playing the same music from 20 / 25 years ago. Nothing comes close, in my eyes, although I should be a little more open to new bands I'm happy flicking on my shuffle and getting bombarded by Nirvana, Roses, Charlatans, Slayer etc etc

3 hours ago, Red-Robbo said:

Status Qu-Oasis was nail-on-the-head accurate.

I'd actually forgotten them even tho they were hugely popular in the 70s and every disco I ever went to their songs were prevalent.

Their fans used to stand with feet apart, hook their thumbs into the front loops of their jeans and sway backwards/sideways and forward. 

They thought they looked the muts nuts............

Being a bit pissed at a disco I told one hard looking bloke that Quo only had two cords.....:facepalm:

On 9/2/2016 at 16:00, Mike Hunt-Hertz said:

Never could get into the wankfest over The Stone Roses.

I mean, they're OK.

Get out.

On 9/4/2016 at 01:19, Red-Robbo said:

Actually I've had a rethink.

Stone Roses in at number 2 and New Order at number 3.

******* Mancs. Always ready to big up what is a fairly mediocre collection of suburbs masquerading as a city.

And you.

For me what makes the Roses great isn't necessarily the famous songs (Fools Gold, I Wanna Be Adored, etc), it's the uplifting ones like She Bangs The Drums and a load of the songs that didn't make it onto the first album. Music is obviously a personal thing but for me they're ******* great. In fact a load of Manc music is great. We need a spin-off thread for underrated bands. James anyone?

Coldplay are right up there in overratedness for me. Some of their older stuff was really good but they've reached a point now where they can release any old dross and it will be lapped up by Radio One and their crew. Can't stand Paradise, think it's one of the most bland songs ever and yet it's loved by the media. Mumford and Sons, Red Hot Chili's, and U2 to an extent are up there too.

13 minutes ago, nebristolred said:

Get out.

And you.

For me what makes the Roses great isn't necessarily the famous songs (Fools Gold, I Wanna Be Adored, etc), it's the uplifting ones like She Bangs The Drums and a load of the songs that didn't make it onto the first album. Music is obviously a personal thing but for me they're ******* great. In fact a load of Manc music is great. We need a spin-off thread for underrated bands. James anyone?

Coldplay are right up there in overratedness for me. Some of their older stuff was really good but they've reached a point now where they can release any old dross and it will be lapped up by Radio One and their crew. Can't stand Paradise, think it's one of the most bland songs ever and yet it's loved by the media. Mumford and Sons, Red Hot Chili's, and U2 to an extent are up there too.

You can stick The Chameleons at the top of that list.  James are a great shout, mind.

4 hours ago, Red_Wizard said:

Any girl band

Any boy band 

Do think it's silly people think Oasis are overrated. Possibly the greatest band of all time.

I'd definitely say Coldplay are average. Yet they've headlined many festivals.

U2 can **** off though.

Anyone disses The Ramones should be banned.

Agree on all fronts !

(apart from the Ramones bit ! ;))

4 hours ago, Major Isewater said:

Ok , name this Oasis song ;

Today i realise,

when I look into your eyes ,

that it's me that you despise,

So why tell me liés.

I'm thinking that we're through ,

It's always about you ,

but what am I to do 

when you always make me blue .

I hate the things you say ,

it never goes my way ,

You really want to play 

I don't need you to stay .

I won't put the chorus in as it would give it away .

Surely that's Shakespeare and not some uncouth Mancunian?

(though the last line about the chorus doesn't scan......)

37 minutes ago, Robbored said:

I'd actually forgotten them even tho they were hugely popular in the 70s and every disco I ever went to their songs were prevalent.

Their fans used to stand with feet apart, hook their thumbs into the front loops of their jeans and sway backwards/sideways and forward. 

They thought they looked the muts nuts............

Being a bit pissed at a disco I told one hard looking bloke that Quo only had two cords.....:facepalm:

I was actually on about Oasis, evil twin.

Using the put-down Blur gave them.

21 minutes ago, nebristolred said:

Get out.

And you.

I think some of my antipathy may be due to the monkey boy. I think they are ok, nothing more. Music is a subjective thing after all, and it would be a dull world if we all dug the same vibe.

1 hour ago, Woodsy said:

Exactly. I've turned into the kind of people I used to laugh at, still playing the same music from 20 / 25 years ago. Nothing comes close, in my eyes, although I should be a little more open to new bands I'm happy flicking on my shuffle and getting bombarded by Nirvana, Roses, Charlatans, Slayer etc etc

Same here mate, same here. Off to see Placebo in a couple of months, that's 22 years they've been going now and I still love them. 

3 hours ago, Woodsy said:

I more or less gave up modern music some years ago:  if a friend suggests something I will have a listen, otherwise I stay in my decades-old rut.

On 02/09/2016 at 11:44, Gazred said:

Anything Radiohead have done post OK Computer.

Can't agree, the new album is phenomenal. I loved Kid A/Amnesiac plus In Rainbows was absolutely fantastic. For me, OK Computer was the weakest album they done with maybe the 2nd half of Hail To The Thief. However the B-sides to OK Computer are awesome, deserved to be album songs.

On a side note, Overrated... hmmm Aphex Twin would be there.. Big fan and his early works are brilliant but Druqs, SYRO and the new Cheetah EP are average at best. Certainly not as great as the fan boys suggest.

Coldplay, definitely overrated!! Awful, awful band

3 hours ago, nebristolred said:

Get out.

And you.

Doves should get an honorary mention, Lost Souls/Lost Sides is superb. Noone really mentions SFA either, maybe not their later stuff but earlier stuff YES!!

Plus a whole load of electronic artists which I can't be bothered to list, but the whole electronica/IDM scene is very underrated

17 minutes ago, Dark Wood Covert said:

Doves should get an honorary mention, Lost Souls/Lost Sides is superb. Noone really mentions SFA either, maybe not their later stuff but earlier stuff YES!!

Plus a whole load of electronic artists which I can't be bothered to list, but the whole electronica/IDM scene is very underrated

I second the shout for Doves, very underrated.

2 hours ago, Gazred said:

Same here mate, same here. Off to see Placebo in a couple of months, that's 22 years they've been going now and I still love them. 

Tried a few different ways of wording this, but they all sound equally wrong, so here goes. Had me some Nancy Boy the other morning, bloody loved it..... 

That one is definitely in the 'thronker' category. Where you seeing them? 

54 minutes ago, One Team In Keynsham said:

I more or less gave up modern music some years ago:  if a friend suggests something I will have a listen, otherwise I stay in my decades-old rut.

I like my rut. It's comfy. I'd stay where you are, having three daughters I can confirm there is some utter filth out there right now

14 minutes ago, Dark Wood Covert said:

Friend of mine raves about them, reckons they are one of the best live band he has ever seen.  I wouldn't know them if they walked past me in the street, wearing "We're the SFA" t-shirts.

Just now, Woodsy said:

Tried a few different ways of wording this, but they all sound equally wrong, so here goes. Had me some Nancy Boy the other morning, bloody loved it..... 

That one is definitely in the 'thronker' category. Where you seeing them? 

I like my rut. It's comfy. I'd stay where you are, having three daughters I can confirm there is some utter filth out there right now

There's a gag in there somewhere, struggling to get out.

10 minutes ago, One Team In Keynsham said:

Friend of mine raves about them, reckons they are one of the best live band he has ever seen.  I wouldn't know them if they walked past me in the street, wearing "We're the SFA" t-shirts.

They are fantastic live, was hoping to see them in Bristol this year as they are playing 2 of their older albums back to back.

Once sponsored Cardiff City as they're big Cardiff City fans (unfortunately) 

3 hours ago, Gazred said:

Blimey, do they still do the 45 minute encores which just consist of noise?

I really like them by the way but was a little mashed in Manchester in 95 or 96 and it did start to get a little 'odd' for me.

Not as odd as with the scissor sisters at a festival though, I'm pretty sure there were large muppets on the stage, wouldn't swear on it though.

happy days 

On September 2, 2016 at 10:15, Major Isewater said:

My top 3 

Coldplay ( as welcome as coldsores ) 

media darlings who can do no wrong . The ' go to ' group ' for any   particular ' opening ' . When Mrs Isewater opened the fridge last night I expected Coldplay to be there with their whining vocals and lack of imagination. They are the musical équivalent of Balotelli.

Have you seen them live? They are fantastic. I didn't even like them that much before then but you can tell they're exceptional when seen live.

Red Hot Chili Peppers 

The tedious bad boy image masks the fact that all their songs are the same and sung by a donkey on heat.

The winner of The Emperor's new clothes award goes to ...

I like them but haven't listened to that much of their music admittedly.

Oasis 

The biggest load of dross in the history of music . None of their songs have a meaning but as long as it rhymes they rattle them out .

Nick some ex Beatles and Indy riffs and the jobs a good 'un .

All my  opinion of course , do you agree or have you other candidates ? 

Great band. 'None of their songs have any meaning' - I don't think they're meant to. Great live and influenced a generation.

Archived